Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Why JARRETT CULVER may be the BEST Player in the Draft

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
kilkenny

Re: Why JARRETT CULVER may be the BEST Player in the Draft

Post by kilkenny »

I would like this. Hope it pans out.
Reetz

Post by Reetz »

I think Culver is going to surprise and turn to be the right pick
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

3 year's from now, Culver will be the better player than Towns. You heard it here first!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

While you can make a case that Culver is a 6-10 pick, claiming he is best player or could be the best player in this draft is idiotic.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:10 pm While you can make a case that Culver is a 6-10 pick, claiming he is best player or could be the best player in this draft is idiotic.
Zion is the best player in this draft but Culver could be second best.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Butch Bradford wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:19 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:10 pm While you can make a case that Culver is a 6-10 pick, claiming he is best player or could be the best player in this draft is idiotic.
I think Ja Morant will end up being the best player from this draft.
bri

Post by bri »

witljon wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:23 pm
That's my thought as well
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

I think Culver will be a positive for this team. That's good. We don't need a top 10 player out of this pick. Top 25 would be cool though.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Because half of rube chat is apparently going to cry if they can't think that?
witljon

Post by witljon »

bri wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:25 pm
witljon wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:23 pm

That's my thought as well
Zion is a special player, but couldn't make it into the final 4 despite the luxury of playing on a loaded roster.
Morant led a 12th seed Murray State team to a NCAA victory.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 pm Because half of rube chat is apparently going to cry if they can't think that?
You’ve cried more than anyone in the past 24 hours. It’s honestly been embarrassing. I actually feel bad for you because I feel like you’re having a mental break down.
witljon

Post by witljon »

kilkenny wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:25 pm I think Culver will be a positive for this team. That's good. We don't need a top 10 player out of this pick. Top 25 would be cool though.
I believe Culver was one of the best players in what I thought was kinda a weak draft.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 pm Because half of rube chat is apparently going to cry if they can't think that?
You’ve cried more than anyone in the past 24 hours. It’s honestly been embarrassing. I actually feel bad for you because I feel like you’re having a mental break down.
Ah yes, It's true. The curse of perception is seeing how deluded and averse to reality people are. So I'll just tell you that YOU.........are right...............and SPECIAL. And your team will win. How can they not with Darryl Moray as your POBO. That's who it is. :lol: Oh. And 11-5 is 5. :lol:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

It may beat Rasho's 2017 breakdown after the Butler trade.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 pm
Ah yes, It's true. The curse of perception is seeing how deluded and averse to reality people are. So I'll just tell you that YOU.........are right...............and SPECIAL. And your team will win. How can they not with Darryl Moray as your POBO. That's who it is. :lol: Oh. And 11-5 is 5. :lol:
Incomprehensible.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Hey Wiggy did you watch that is what a defensive stance looks like
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 pm Hey Wiggy did you watch that is what a defensive stance looks like
Wiggins will be confused as to why Culver is playing so hard.
witljon

Post by witljon »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:17 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 pm Hey Wiggy did you watch that is what a defensive stance looks like
He's still studying Okogie.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

witljon wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:21 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:17 pm
He's still studying Okogie.
Is Okogie another word for cheat codes for Fortnite?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

After the Pelicans watched this video, they offered Zion for Culver, but the Wolves demanded they include multiple picks as well.
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 pm After the Pelicans watched this video, they offered Zion for Culver, but the Wolves demanded they include multiple picks as well.
Then the pels said please take everything and then Chuck Norris said no.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

I liked how the author of the video broke down Culver’s game.

Really good analysis, much better than I’ve seen from highlight reels.

Obviously Zion is the BEST prospect in the draft but it could be argued that Culver is in the top tier whether that be 1-3 or 1-5.

As Trent Tucker likes to say, “only time will tell.”
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sure. And Kate Upton could call you up tonight, say she is lonely on Saturday night, and why don’t you come over.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 am I liked how the author of the video broke down Culver’s game.

Obviously Zion is the BEST prospect in the draft but it could be argued that Culver is in the top tier whether that be 1-3 or 1-5.

He's good at everything but great at nothing. That's why he gets comped to Butler but pump the brakes, he gets comped to young Butler. Butler worked his ass off and got better at everything. And you can't name a lot of others like him who have. I'm not betting against him because of his rep and age but scant few guys like him get to Butler's level.

I always like players like Culver because they are the guys who don't hurt you with any weakness and those guys make players around them better. The issue with the pick has nothing to do with him the player. It's what did we pay to get him, why did we take another wing, and that he wasn't who we wanted pointing out that our new POBO thought he was the smartest man in the room and he got exposed.

The worst thing is drafting him was a giant collection of every pet peeve I have in team building.

I hate "getting worse to get better" It doesn't work. Unless you have 5 years and 2 FO's

I hate moves that require one or more other moves to work. We now need to trade Wigs or another wing or play players out of position.

I hate misusing assets which we did. Saric proved to be a great asset as it got us from 11 to 6. He easily could have got us another pick had we stayed at 11. Not to mention there's a solid chance either he or Reddish was there at 11.

I hate not addressing obvious needs. Interior D? Defensive rebounding? PG?

Let's hope Rosas is better at FA and non draft trades and can pull his ass out of the fire. I would love to only think of Culver as my favorite kind of player. A guy who plays hard and smart and plays both ends. I don't want to have to always be thinking how we have a 4th wing and no interior D, or rebounding, and no playing time for our wings. Now even though I think Wigs was going to take a nice step forward I am praying that Kawhi blots for the Clips so we can get a decent offer from Tor.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:51 am
Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 am I liked how the author of the video broke down Culver’s game.

He's good at everything but great at nothing. That's why he gets comped to Butler but pump the brakes, he gets comped to young Butler. Butler worked his ass off and got better at everything. And you can't name a lot of others like him who have. I'm not betting against him because of his rep and age but scant few guys like him get to Butler's level.

I always like players like Culver because they are the guys who don't hurt you with any weakness and those guys make players around them better. The issue with the pick has nothing to do with him the player. It's what did we pay to get him, why did we take another wing, and that he wasn't who we wanted pointing out that our new POBO thought he was the smartest man in the room and he got exposed.

The worst thing is drafting him was a giant collection of every pet peeve I have in team building.

I hate "getting worse to get better" It doesn't work. Unless you have 5 years and 2 FO's

I hate moves that require one or more other moves to work. We now need to trade Wigs or another wing or play players out of position.

I hate misusing assets which we did. Saric proved to be a great asset as it got us from 11 to 6. He easily could have got us another pick had we stayed at 11. Not to mention there's a solid chance either he or Reddish was there at 11.

Let's hope Rosas is better at FA and non draft trades and can pull his ass out of the fire. I would love to only think of Culver as my favorite kind of player. A guy who plays hard and smart and plays both ends. I don't want to have to always be thinking how we have a 4th wing and no interior D, or rebounding, and no playing time for our wings. Now even though I think Wigs was going to take a nice step forward I am praying that Kawhi blots for the Clips so we can get a decent offer from Tor.
Good at everything but great at nothing is seems a little premature. Culver could be even better than Butler but that remains to be seen.

I read that right after the draft he wanted to work out at a nearby gym to work on his improving his game. That says a lot about his work ethic and desire to be great.

That video shows that he already possesses a lot of the skills needed in today’s NBA. Culver appears to be an elite defender, has great handles (left and right) and deft offensive moves. Now he’s not the most explosive athlete but he makes up for it with his high basketball IQ.

I know you know that we weren’t going to pay Saric. Staying put at 11 and trading back using Saric as a trade chip is debatable in terms of value. Besides, nobody really knows how it would have played out.

I heard Dougie say on a Skol North podcast that after we drafted Culver we were trying to trade back into the first round to 12. The target was Sekou but Charlotte wanted too much in return. Considering how it did play out, I think we did great in terms of value.

And we have always needed to trade Wiggins. Phenomenal athlete with no heart, desire or killer instinct. I think Rosas does get rid of Wiggins. What will be interesting will be how he does it and at what cost.

I like your takes and you are a much better basketball mind than I am but it seems to me that you are being a little knee jerk in your judgement of our new POBO. Rosters are not set in stone. The free agency period hasn’t even begun yet.

Just relax. Trust the process, mang. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers, thrill. :beer:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Good at everything but great at nothing is seems a little premature. Culver could be even better than Butler but that remains to be seen.

I read that right after the draft he wanted to work out at a nearby gym to work on his improving his game. That says a lot about his work ethic and desire to be great.

That video shows that he already possesses a lot of the skills needed in today’s NBA. Culver appears to be an elite defender, has great handles (left and right) and deft offensive moves. Now he’s not the most explosive athlete but he makes up for it with his high basketball IQ.

I know you know that we weren’t going to pay Saric. Staying put at 11 and trading back using Saric as a trade chip is debatable in terms of value. Besides, nobody really knows how it would have played out.

I heard Dougie say on a Skol North podcast that after we drafted Culver we were trying to trade back into the first round to 12. The target was Sekou but Charlotte wanted too much in return. Considering how it did play out, I think we did great in terms of value.

And we have always needed to trade Wiggins. Phenomenal athlete with no heart, desire or killer instinct. I think Rosas does get rid of Wiggins. What will be interesting will be how he does it and at what cost.

I like your takes and you are a much better basketball mind than I am but it seems to me that you are being a little knee jerk in your judgement of our new POBO. Rosters are not set in stone. The free agency period hasn’t even begun yet.

I am not certain what these guys are looking at. He isn’t an elite defender. He isn’t even close to Jimmy Butler, and probably never will be. He is not an elite athlete and I think in NBA terms he has to hustle to be average.

He completely sucked in the tournament. He was just 13-53 in tge final 3 games. I guess most of the time Froobs would call a player like that an inefficient chucker but somehow Culver’s rep did not seem to suffer. I get tgat somewhat, but tgat was the story all season.

He has intangibles. He is a hard worker. I expect he to be an improbable athlete (he needs to start immediately on his foul shooting). But we traded up to get him in a weak draft.

Quote to post when Culver is an all-star. If you switch teams and draft years, Josh Okogie is a better draft prospect.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:54 pm

My knee jerk reaction is to his knee jerk move that failed. Again it's nothing against Culver. He is my favorite kind of player because he will always give full effort on both ends and he has no real weaknesses. But there is nothing he does that you can call anywhere near elite. That's not as compared to NBA players but college players.

It's hard for me to understand trusting the process when the process started the way it did. With failure that has put us in a position to make multiple moves or adjustments all of which seem like long shots to work out.