Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rate the Draft

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

May as well have a poll

A
18%
B
34%
C
24%
D
11%
F
5%
10 lbs of wet shit in a 5 lb sack
8%

Total votes: 38

Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Re: Rate the Draft

Post by Catalyst »

Not Kahn like though.
My heart is family.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

C

We took two shooting guards. Not what we needed

Who’s going to start at the 4 now? No Dario or Taj
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

As others have said, something else has to be up. Hopefully a Wiggins for Russell
larryhagmansliver

Post by larryhagmansliver »

Hard to give it a grade without knowing what they do with Culver. Considering his name has not been mention by the Wolves anywhere I doubt he is long for the team.

I hadn't really looked at Culver before the draft, but everything I'm reading and watching has me excited. But as above, I doubt we are keeping him.

so... incomplete?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Froobs are awfully convinced their narrative is the right one.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Okay....after the usual 4 hour good night sleep, I feel much better about this draft. This is based off the assumption that Rosas has a deal for at least Teague and perhaps a buyer on Wiggins. Culver's NBA comparison is Jimmy Butler.....simply without the mouth. Most here like that game....so if Culver can reach that kind of potential, he's an amazing pick. In the 2nd round, we added Nowell......who is finally a legit shooter. This team has needed shooting for years. The reason I feel better is because I was really intrigued before we picked 43rd last night on Naz Reid after Paschall went right before us. When I woke, I see we've signed him to a two way. He's raw, and I've said he reminds me a bit of Montrez Harrel. So we potentially added a quality two way player, three point shooting, and a big man who moves very well for his size. For just the draft, I have to give it A- and that's only because I was high on Garland and would have been happy with White. But we checked three boxes of need IMO.

If Rosas lands Dlo, than this draft is an A+ because we've paired KAT with a lethal scorer, added a three point threat and have three wings that can play defense at a high level.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

At worst we got a better Corey Brewer, at best, we have Scottie Pippen.

Never take need over BPA unless all things are equal or close.

B grade since the goal was apparently a PG.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:30 am Hard to give it a grade without knowing what they do with Culver. Considering his name has not been mention by the Wolves anywhere I doubt he is long for the team.
He was though. I’d have to dig through the other thread, but there was a small blurb out there that mentioned our interest just a short while ago.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:44 am At worst we got a better Corey Brewer, at best, we have Scottie Pippen.

And if we somehow make moves to add Russell, does your B grade change at all?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:45 am
larryhagmansliver wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:30 am Hard to give it a grade without knowing what they do with Culver. Considering his name has not been mention by the Wolves anywhere I doubt he is long for the team.
He was though. I’d have to dig through the other thread, but there was a small blurb out there that mentioned our interest just a short while ago.
There was a tweet an hour before the draft started that there was a rumor the Wolves liked Culver....but we never worked him out, it was allegedly just a call. Guy must be super charismatic and our scouts just loved his tape.
larryhagmansliver

Post by larryhagmansliver »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:45 am
I was talking about since he's been drafted but I just realised that's because the trade isn't official yet.

So scrap that, Culver said he has talked to Rosas and that he happy to be where he is wanted. So I guess he is here to stay. Good pick in my opinion, based on about 45 minutes of research.
Style

Post by Style »

B.

Everything was dandy until we got sniped. The process was right; the results didn't go the exact way we wanted. No one saw CLE taking another PG. Hoping Culver finds his niche here in what could be a pretty fun defensive lineup with RoCo and Okogie.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:44 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 pm

But you can't because specifically our roster make up. We drafted two wings to a team that has three established wings. The draft and our roster is mutually exclusive. And if Culver is that Wade like guy, then you're really fucking up ratings because you shoot to an A with a bullet.
Semantics. Rate the picks as is.
It's not semantics....our roster adding two wings with three established wings isn't semanics, it's not coincidence....it's based off other deals. Culver is good and our 2nd rounder can shoot.....you can't give it lower than a C. But again, you don't pick that many wings without something going on in the background.
perhaps wings are to Rosas what PG's were to Kahn....
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

A. Moving to B- assets for a B+ assets is a fantastic move for where the Wolves are.

I won't pretend to be a draft expert, but Culver's value was around there.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Stork311 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 am
LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Semantics. Rate the picks as is.
It's not semantics....our roster adding two wings with three established wings isn't semanics, it's not coincidence....it's based off other deals. Culver is good and our 2nd rounder can shoot.....you can't give it lower than a C. But again, you don't pick that many wings without something going on in the background.
Lots of Kahn comparisons still coming in today. One guy never worked in the business and the other was an understudy to one of the better known quality GM's of the past decade. We're moving Wiggins....he's just the only one that knows where.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:47 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:44 am At worst we got a better Corey Brewer, at best, we have Scottie Pippen.

And if we somehow make moves to add Russell, does your B grade change at all?
This is rate the draft, not the off-season. :mrgreen:

Overall rating would be A+ if he moved wigs and got russell. I won't hold my breath.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 am
Stork311 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 am

Lots of Kahn comparisons still coming in today. One guy never worked in the business and the other was an understudy to one of the better known quality GM's of the past decade. We're moving Wiggins....he's just the only one that knows where.
we will be moving Roco or Okogie....Wiggins is a turd stuck in our plumbing for 2 more years.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

B. Rosas said that it was all about BPA (which I always agree with in the first round), but if that was really true, why didn't they bring Culver in for a workout? How hard is it to get guys (not named Zion or Morant) in for a workout? Seems very odd to me.

Plus, is the drop off in talent that big from Culver to White? White was looked at as the better talent to a lot of scouts over Culver. Why not take the guy that fills a glaring need and is a big talent? Nothing adds up.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

I gave it a C because everyone knows that the Wolves didn’t get their guy. Why even trade up if you can not get your guy.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Decker23 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 am B. Rosas said that it was all about BPA (which I always agree with in the first round), but if that was really true, why didn't they bring Culver in for a workout? How hard is it to get guys (not named Zion or Morant) in for a workout? Seems very odd to me.

Plus, is the drop off in talent that big from Culver to White? White was looked at as the better talent to a lot of scouts over Culver. Why not take the guy that fills a glaring need and is a big talent? Nothing adds up.
Still don't 100% buy that they didn't get their guy. It was reported very early that Garland was going 5
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Decker23 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 am B. Rosas said that it was all about BPA (which I always agree with in the first round), but if that was really true, why didn't they bring Culver in for a workout? How hard is it to get guys (not named Zion or Morant) in for a workout? Seems very odd to me.

Yes, sometimes it can be hard to get every guy you want in for a workout. Remember that we were sitting at 11 and Culver has consistently been rated in the top 5-6 or higher, so it's not that far fetched that he shuts down workouts to teams higher.

There was plenty of people that didn't see White as that high and with next year's draft being so deep at PG, it's reasonable that they wouldn't feel the need to force the PG pick this year if they didn't feel he was on par with Culver. We already have Teague for this year, we still hold the rights to Tyus and maybe we bring Bayless back cheap...we don't NEED a PG this year specifically, we just need a PG of the future at some point.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:58 am

Still don't 100% buy that they didn't get their guy. It was reported very early that Garland was going 5
Jesus Christ the battered wife (wolf) syndrome here is strong. What part of everyone in the world saying we were trading up for Garland, then everyone saying Cle was still shopping their pick right before, then us still shopping 6 after Garland goes 5 tells you your husband still loves you and is a good guy?

Fuck! Rosas fucked this up in epic all time fashion. Maybe he can fix it but it doesn't mean he didn't fuck the dog 100%. How many other teams traded up for their guy who wasn't there? Can you ever remember it happening?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

H8ter wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:55 am I gave it a C because everyone knows that the Wolves didn’t get their guy. Why even trade up if you can not get your guy.
it's still a better player though than they would have gotten at 11.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:03 am
H8ter wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:55 am I gave it a C because everyone knows that the Wolves didn’t get their guy. Why even trade up if you can not get your guy.
No it's not. Doumboya will be better. Fuck he's already a way better shooter as a project big. And we could have got another piece with Saric.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:03 am
OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:58 am

Jesus Christ the battered wife (wolf) syndrome here is strong. What part of everyone in the world saying we were trading up for Garland, then everyone saying Cle was still shopping their pick right before, then us still shopping 6 after Garland goes 5 tells you your husband still loves you and is a good guy?

Fuck! Rosas fucked this up in epic all time fashion. Maybe he can fix it but it doesn't mean he didn't fuck the dog 100%. How many other teams traded up for their guy who wasn't there? Can you ever remember it happening?
Also weird how the narrative since Rosas was hired has been that Wiggins is sticking around and yet their are active trade talks about him.

Smoke. Screen.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am
No it's not. Doumboya will be better. Fuck he's already a way better shooter as a project big. And we could have got another piece with Saric.
why did he fall to 15 then, and behind such vanilla front court guys like Rui or PJ?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 am

why did he fall to 15 then, and behind such vanilla front court guys like Rui or PJ?
If you watched i't on ESPN you heard them say it. After the top 3 picks you may see a lot of picks for need and safer picks. (Hi Tank) And that's what a lot of teams did. They were afraid of waiting on him. Haven't seen a lot of draft analysis yet but if he's not the steal of the draft it is wrong. He's KG and we traded up for J. Smith.
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

The trade turned out be a “D” right now. We got a “B” level talent, so that’s why I say it’s a “C”.
j-one

Post by j-one »

I'll wuss out and say incomplete.
Makes me think Rosas has negative opinions on Wig and or Okogie - not hard to imagine a POBO from not liking Wig at a minimum.
Wolves rebuild wasn't going to happen with one draft pick. Need to see the plan play out over the next year or two.
I'm fine moving Dario to move up. Wanted Garland more than White - if they think Culver can play point then fine but I haven't seen that in the few games I've seen him play.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

You don't know that for sure. We could have traded back, added an extra pick in the first round and gotten more talent. There's no way to know until 3-4 years down the road. Hindsight, I would have liked to see the Wolves trade back and pick up multiple guys like Sekou, Clarke, Little, Windler, Washington...
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan