Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rate the Draft

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

May as well have a poll

A
18%
B
34%
C
24%
D
11%
F
5%
10 lbs of wet shit in a 5 lb sack
8%

Total votes: 38

LordNu

Rate the Draft

Post by LordNu »

Well?

Only going to have 5 options as 9 or more would be too many.

EDIT: JUST THE DRAFT SO FAR!
Last edited by LordNu on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thrillkill

Re: Rate the Draft

Post by Thrillkill »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 pm Well?

Which one is 10 lbs of wet shit in a 5 lb sack?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 pm

Added
j2j

Post by j2j »

B, though leaning towards "incomplete".
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I think trades are in place to move at least Teague and Wiggins. So for that, a B+ depending on return. Sign Dlo and get a serviceable big, and Culver is super legit....Mitchell/Wade hybrid.....A rating. There's just no way we made the picks we did without other things in place. Mlhouse mentioned a Kahn comparison....this guy is legit, he's not a former reporter. He's got something lined up.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:25 pm B, though leaning towards "incomplete".
If we go just on the actual draft including the trade up.

I know incomplete is the right answer, but I mean rate it solely as a draft itself.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

C, but I kind of agree on the incomplete. It just seems like something else has to be up........
Let's get Tropical
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 pm

I know incomplete is the right answer, but I mean rate it solely as a draft itself.
Beforehand I'd have preferred Sekou, but I'm in love with Culver already because I'm a fan of the Wolves.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

But you can't because specifically our roster make up. We drafted two wings to a team that has three established wings. The draft and our roster is mutually exclusive. And if Culver is that Wade like guy, then you're really fucking up ratings because you shoot to an A with a bullet.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

B
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

C. Culver is cool, but not who Rosas wanted.

I respect Rosas for trying to make the move for someone he identified as a cornerstone, but failed at it.

The Nowell kid is interesting. Being a big reach in the 2nd round isnt necessarily a bad thing. It shows how much Rosas liked him...and I have no opinion on Rosas as a talent evaluator right now. Poor execution on both picks though.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 pm

But you can't because specifically our roster make up. We drafted two wings to a team that has three established wings. The draft and our roster is mutually exclusive. And if Culver is that Wade like guy, then you're really fucking up ratings because you shoot to an A with a bullet.
You can't grade him on what he might do in FA. It's a draft grade. He traded a player from a weak position and didn't get who he wanted then took the only thing we don't need. Then instead of making the actual trade he needed to to get that big later he sat back and took another fucking wing. That's a wet shit of an F.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 pm C. Culver is cool, but not who Rosas wanted.

I respect Rosas for trying to make the move for someone he identified as a cornerstone, but failed at it.

The Nowell kid is interesting. Being a big reach in the 2nd round isnt necessarily a bad thing. It shows how much Rosas liked him...and I have no opinion on Rosas as a talent evaluator right now. Poor execution on both picks though.
Nowell isn't a reach. He should have gone around that spot. But to be our 8th wing?

Poor execution all around is right and that gives you an F.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Semantics. Rate the picks as is.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 pm

You can't grade him on what he might do in FA. It's a draft grade. He traded a player from a weak position and didn't get who he wanted then took the only thing we don't need. Then instead of making the actual trade he needed to to get that big later he sat back and took another fucking wing. That's a wet shit of an F.
We will agree to disagree....the draft is tied to FA, it's tied to trades.....everyone knows this. Right now, we got two wings on a team with plenty of wings. Certain players get flipped and we have different players (again, all predicated off the draft picks)...I'm not rating him what he might do in FA. I'm rating him on setting the table at the draft for what he can land in FA. Again, they are connected. If there's no move made by the end of July, than it's an F until Culver proves he's big time. But the guy is not Kahn, he learned under Morey for years...he drafted more wings on a wing heavy team. To assume there isn't more happening predicated off the draft is just silly.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sign Amir Coffey and I’ll give it an A
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm

It's not semantics....our roster adding two wings with three established wings isn't semanics, it's not coincidence....it's based off other deals. Culver is good and our 2nd rounder can shoot.....you can't give it lower than a C. But again, you don't pick that many wings without something going on in the background.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

The draft itself is a D or D-, That says nothing of the players they got or how they will turn out and develop in the NBA. But as a failed move up and again standing there with your dick in your hand, to over stuffing your roster with an already well filled position. Those are bad looks and just not smart moves.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:44 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm

It's not semantics....our roster adding two wings with three established wings isn't semanics, it's not coincidence....it's based off other deals. Culver is good and our 2nd rounder can shoot.....you can't give it lower than a C. But again, you don't pick that many wings without something going on in the background.
If you want to rate it on setting up for other deals, fine. But I am asking to rate the actual picks.

I would love to have it all complete, but we may not have anything done for quite a while. When it is, then we can revisit the whole draft + offseason.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i have never been more disappointed in a wolves draft. there's a lot of "rosas has something else coming" stuff floating around. well, okay, he better show us the money pretty soon then or else it'll look like he really just fucked up. which is what i think he did. i don't think wiggins or teague are going anywhere. i hope i'm totally wrong about all of this.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

This one!

This is based solely on tonight alone.....this by itself was a 10 lbs of wet shit in a 5 lb sack. That covers it perfectly.....especially if you look at what they could have got at 11 and not trading away Saric.

For those assuring us that this drafted must be taken with a whole view before grading. Come training camp I reserve the right to regrade.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

I'm going with:

"Rosas knows & I know shit."
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 pm

This one!

This is based solely on tonight alone.....this by itself was a 10 lbs of wet shit in a 5 lb sack. That covers it perfectly.....especially if you look at what they could have got at 11 and not trading away Saric.

For those assuring us that this drafted must be taken with a whole view before grading. Come training camp I reserve the right to regrade.
I thought you needed a break from the team and was ready to have a nervous break down? You posted that you were done for the summer. Is it October already?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 pm

This one!

We'll do another "rate the offseason" thread for then.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Round 1 Jarrett Culver I think Culver was the most overrated player in the draft. I just don't see it and never did. I admit, I did not watch a lot of Tech BBall during their regular season but I did watch tournament games. And for all the build up they made of him he was 5-22. I think that Culver can be an average NBA player but I think we gave up an average NBA player to move up to 6 to get him, and that just isnt good enough for this draft. And, he only reaches that level if he is at his upside on D. If you watch this Mike Schmitz video, this is the basis of my concerns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u-xKdkG8NE

Grade: I think he is a C NBA player selected in a A- draft slot we received by giving up a C NBA player.

Round 2 Norwell. Don't really know much about him. Seems like the typical selection that the Wolves make to sell to other teams for cash considertaions. From video I have seen of him seems athletic and has a reasonable shooting potential. He seems destined to the G-League on a 2 way deal and having New Zealand visas soon after that. While up until this point I hadn't thought baout it, but sometimes I wonder if the Wolves just shouldnt swing for the fences. Why not try Bol Bol with the 43rd pick? The risk-reward ration is significant.

Grade: Fucking Boring.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

ESPN is fucking ridiculous. They have Jay Blas comparing NBA draft prospects to NFL players. Bilas proceeds to call Ja Morant Pat Mahomes with his passing ability. Is this fucking real life? This is what it's come to?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:12 am ESPN is fucking ridiculous. They have Jay Blas comparing NBA draft prospects to NFL players. Bilas proceeds to call Ja Morant Pat Mahomes with his passing ability. Is this fucking real life? This is what it's come to?
Completely at a loss as to how you can do that, considering I don't follow NFL, I follow NBA. Give me something I can work with!

P.S. Is Pat Mahomes good?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

I gave a B, I might lean high B, but still a B.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

LordNu wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 am
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:12 am ESPN is fucking ridiculous. They have Jay Blas comparing NBA draft prospects to NFL players. Bilas proceeds to call Ja Morant Pat Mahomes with his passing ability. Is this fucking real life? This is what it's come to?
Completely at a loss as to how you can do that, considering I don't follow NFL, I follow NBA. Give me something I can work with!

P.S. Is Pat Mahomes good?
ESPN is obsessed with (American) football. Anytime they can relate anything to football they will do it. It’s honestly embarrassing. And yes, Pat Mahomes is very good.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

The more I think of this draft, and stew in it, the more I dislike it. Usually its the other way around.

Its nothing against Culver, butt...

THEY DIDNT WANT HIM!!! They wanted Garlund, then when they couldn't have him, they took someone they thought Cleveland would want. Rosas was played like a fiddle by Cleveland of all fucking teams.

The player is not what I am upset with. The execution is. Anyone paying attention knows Culver was never on their radar with the trade up. Further more, I think White was supposed to be the backup plan, but they panicked and took Culver, thinking Cleveland still wanted him.

The only hope for this pick, is that Rosas accidentally took a good player...it certainly isn't who he wanted.

Piss poor execution of a draft.