Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Latest hype

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Latest hype

Post by Beef Supreme »

Is that Jaleel Johnson and Jaylon Holmes both look great in minicamp.

If either or both of them develop into players, that would be awesome!
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
hategreenticemase

Re: Latest hype

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:20 pm Is that Jaleel Johnson and Jaylon Holmes both look great in minicamp.

Zim and company are good at finding and developing DL. They are the antithesis of OL finding and developing.

It's one reason I was all for trading EG one year early rather than a yest too late.
salamander

Post by salamander »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:20 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:20 pm Is that Jaleel Johnson and Jaylon Holmes both look great in minicamp.

Zim and company are good at finding and developing DL. They are the antithesis of OL finding and developing.

It's one reason I was all for trading EG one year early rather than a yest too late.
Our DL has been the weakness of our defense since Zim got here.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

salamander wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 am

I don't even know what to say.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:56 pm

I had the same first blush thought... but then think about it. It’s certainly not the secondary. Zim inherited Smith and Rhodes and they’ve been studs his entire tenure. They’ve added tremendous talent in the draft (Waynes, Hughes, Alexander) and in FA (Munnerlynn) to go along with productive lesser investments (Harris, Kearse, Sendejo, Hill, etc.). The secondary has been great.

You can argue that the LBs have been weaker than the DL, but Barr was Zim’s first draft pick and he landed Kendricks the next year and they’ve been great.

The issue is the phrasing of “weakness” when talking about Zim’s defenses here. While you can say that relative to the secondary for sure and arguably the LBs, the DL is the “weakness,” but even if that’s so, they’re hardly “weak” when compared to the rest of the NFL.

Zim’s defenses have ranked 14th, 13th, 3rd, 1st, and 4th since he’s been here (31st the year before he got here, for anyone questioning his ability). So that’s hardly a unit that deserves to have the term “weak” used to describe any part of it.

- Carl Jung
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

But how many top picks and $spent on fa. Has he put on that side of the ball its not like he did it with a bunch of low teer players
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Phrooster wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 pm But how many top picks and $spent on fa. Has he put on that side of the ball its not like he did it with a bunch of low teer players
Right. But we’ve had coaches that have spent a lot of picks and still not been able to build shit.

I’d wager that most elite defenses are filled with elite, highly-drafted prospects.

I’d be interested to see how many elite defenses were made up primarily of nobodys that got “coached up.” Probably none. But maybe there’s an outlier out there somewhere.

- Carl Jung
hategreenticemase

:lol:

Nothing to say, it was too moronic to reply to. It's like saying the worst part of winning a million dollars is I had to start a new bank account. Of course trying to find the weakness on what's been a very consistent and elite D is pure folly, as is trying to imply Zim hasn't done very well developing DL talent.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I have never understood these claims that players look "great" in minicamps. Particularly defensive linemen.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:02 pm

I have never understood these claims that players look "great" in minicamps. Particularly defensive linemen.
Everyone looks great in mini-camps. What the hell else are best writers going to spew to get their piece in this time of year. Every team out there is selling the same hope right now.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

bombers3shooter wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 pm

Everyone looks great in mini-camps. What the hell else are best writers going to spew to get their piece in this time of year. Every team out there is selling the same hope right now.
I would say they are two critical players for the season though. We need at least one of them to step up.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:13 pm
I had the same first blush thought... but then think about it. It’s certainly not the secondary. Zim inherited Smith and Rhodes and they’ve been studs his entire tenure. They’ve added tremendous talent in the draft (Waynes, Hughes, Alexander) and in FA (Munnerlynn) to go along with productive lesser investments (Harris, Kearse, Sendejo, Hill, etc.). The secondary has been great.

You can argue that the LBs have been weaker than the DL, but Barr was Zim’s first draft pick and he landed Kendricks the next year and they’ve been great.

The issue is the phrasing of “weakness” when talking about Zim’s defenses here. While you can say that relative to the secondary for sure and arguably the LBs, the DL is the “weakness,” but even if that’s so, they’re hardly “weak” when compared to the rest of the NFL.

Zim’s defenses have ranked 14th, 13th, 3rd, 1st, and 4th since he’s been here (31st the year before he got here, for anyone questioning his ability). So that’s hardly a unit that deserves to have the term “weak” used to describe any part of it.
The DL isn't weak. If anything, it's the one part of the defense where Zim has shown the ability to mold quality players without spending all of the team's assets. I'd say that LB is probably the weaker link. Barr was the #9 pick and has never been a consistent playmaker. Kendricks has been good to very good. The 3rd LB position has always been in the flux the last few years, with a bunch of guys never really developing into the option the team needs.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

B-Town wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:56 pm

The DL isn't weak. If anything, it's the one part of the defense where Zim has shown the ability to mold quality players without spending all of the team's assets. I'd say that LB is probably the weaker link. Barr was the #9 pick and has never been a consistent playmaker. Kendricks has been good to very good. The 3rd LB position has always been in the flux the last few years, with a bunch of guys never really developing into the option the team needs.
I agree with your first claim, but I think just about everything else you wrote is completely false.

For example, of the defensive line we have expended significant free agent money. Barr is probably the best player on the defense, which is saying a lot. Kendirck is good, so yeah that is correct. But the 3rd LB spot has been held down by Ben Gedeon the past 2 seasons and probably a 3rd and I would state they have developed UDFA Eric Wilson into a pretty good player.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:48 pm

I agree with your first claim, but I think just about everything else you wrote is completely false.

For example, of the defensive line we have expended significant free agent money. Barr is probably the best player on the defense, which is saying a lot. Kendirck is good, so yeah that is correct. But the 3rd LB spot has been held down by Ben Gedeon the past 2 seasons and probably a 3rd and I would state they have developed UDFA Eric Wilson into a pretty good player.
Barr is certainly NOT the best defensive player.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Bob Wiley wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:51 pm

By far. Mike Zimmer for sure agrees.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:59 pm

By far. Mike Zimmer for sure agrees.
:lol:
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Barr is right up there.

The fact that he can play SLB and remain on the field in Nickel is HUGE for this defense.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Barr is right up there.

The fact that he can play SLB and remain on the field in Nickel is HUGE for this defense.
I think Harrison Smith is the best safety in the league. I think Xavier Rhodes amongst the best CB (in 2017 he was by far). I think Hunter is one of the top DEs in the league.

But i thik Barr is the most important player on the defense, the best player on the defense. He is underrated because his job is not to compile statistics. He doesnt get sacks or even tackles. His job is to read the play and destroy the POA. He does this consistently and effectively. That is how the defense works.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Barr is right up there.

I think Harrison Smith is the best safety in the league. I think Xavier Rhodes amongst the best CB (in 2017 he was by far). I think Hunter is one of the top DEs in the league.

But i thik Barr is the most important player on the defense, the best player on the defense. He is underrated because his job is not to compile statistics. He doesnt get sacks or even tackles. His job is to read the play and destroy the POA. He does this consistently and effectively. That is how the defense works.
Agreed 100%.

People think “linebacker” and think if you don’t compile 120 tackles or a ton of sacks or INT it means he’s not making plays.

Like I said, his biggest impact for me is the fact that he can play the SLB role AND stay on the field on passing downs. So many teams run out of 3-wide nowadays (Rams are the top example), that if you have to bring in one of these 220 pound-hybrid-LB/S as your second LB in Nickel, the opposing offense can really take advantage.

That all being said, there’s lots of candidates on this defense for “most important.”

Barr, Linval, Smith and Hunter are probably all good choices.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Yeah we got Shamar. So bam.

Jk hope either takes the job from that wayyyy overpaid scrub.
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

Post by FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK »

bombers3shooter wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 pm

That is true and I'm ok with that!!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Now I’m reading that Beebe is looking like an absolute master of the slot (TWSS!).

Weeeeeeeee!!!!

- Carl Jung
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:00 pm Now I’m reading that Beebe is looking like an absolute master of the slot (TWSS!).

Weeeeeeeee!!!!
I really wish we could have kept George Stewart as WR coach. He builds amazing talent wherever he goes. I think Thielen and Diggs are a result of him coaching them up. I think we have a slight drop off at the position as time goes by. Look at Treadwell.

That’s all I got. Pretty slow on the Vikings front.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:13 pm

It's definitely a luxury I just want a better run stuffing unit. They get ran on in big situations often. Linval Joseph is no longer the player he was. Yeah, it's nit picking and most other teams would take our D-line, but they can be better.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.