Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

A View From The Cheap Seats (Fly On The Wall Edition)

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

A View From The Cheap Seats (Fly On The Wall Edition)

Post by RubeTube »

This is a little segment the "Maniacs" have asked to be brought back. In typical RT Sports fashion, we brought it back for you, the people!

I'm here to talk about the late 2000's and Brad Childress QB room.

I recently reviewed the 2008 season in much of it's entirety. As the "Fly on wall" during this session, I came to some conclusions watching the league that was a decade younger than that of today.

First I'm going to start with Tarvaris Jackson. I can see what Brad Childress saw in this kid. On a pure measurables and skill set level, this kid had it going on.

Week 1 in GB against Aaron Rodgers in what was the debut of the future HOFer's career, TJack shined. His movements were so "Fluid". He controlled the pocket like a poors mans Mike Vick. Electric was a understatement here. Jackson also has what we call in the business "A hand cannon". There wasn't a throw this Jackson couldn't make and with just the flick of a wrist, he could drop a 60 yarder on you.

Jackson struggled with his accuracy though and struggled to read a NFL defense. It was ultimately his demise but when watching him, it's hard not to fall in love with his athleticism.

The next guy I took a look at was Sage Rosenthal. I took a look at every preseason snap he took in 2010. This guy was absolutely on fire! "Zipping pebbles" is how I described his play that year. Another colleague said it almost looked as effortless as "Skipping Rocks".

I firmly believe if we don't call Favre back in 2010, Sage brings us a division title and to the playoffs. It also would have blocked Green Bay from making the playoffs that year and ultimately winning the Super Bowl. Obviously, we had to give Favre another try though.

I really enjoyed reviewing these fun times and writing about it for you, the people.

This has been a View From The Cheap Seats.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Re: A View From The Cheap Seats (Fly On The Wall Edition)

Post by cunningham »

What about Gus?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 pm What about Gus?
He was a busta like Keenum. Had a horse shoe stuck in his ass for half a season in what was a pitiful career.

Jackson was the right play in the playoffs.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

The lengths this moron will go to in order to hilariously draw any sort of attention to himself is fucking priceless. :lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:29 pm
He was a busta like Keenum. Had a horse shoe stuck in his ass for half a season in what was a pitiful career.

Even though he got his ass kicked?

Our disagreement on quarterbacks goes back decades I guess. TJoke was all arm, but Gus got us to the playoffs that year. He got hurt, Jackson comes in and blows away the Cards because they had no film in him. Gus should have started.

This is why you suck at evaluating quarterbacks and it goes deep. I bet JoeTrollSpammer would agree with you just like DHTroll for years spent pushing TJoke to the point where I felt bad for Jackson. I suppose the ultimate irony is that Jackson has a Super Bowl ring.

Here is the flaw though and what you also miss about your beloved Kirk. Jackson and Cousins had amazing arms, Cousins has much better accuracy, but both struggled to get first downs. Both folded in big games. Having more time to watch Jackson one major issue was that he could be game-planned for and shut down.

My fear is that is what is happening with Cousins. Same thing with Bradford.

In the NFL for a quarterback to succeed you have to change up your patterns and tendencies. That is what makes the position so unbelievably difficult. Eagles called out Bradford and said when he was pressured he threw outside. So the has corners drop to the edges. Chicago did the same thing. That is why when Bradford came in against the Bears for Keenum he was shut down. The injury was the excuse. Same with TJoke, the injury was an excuse to get him off the field.

Now if Cousins struggles and goes down with injury....

Before you get your panties all bunched up I want to say that Cousins is significantly more experienced and a better quarterback than Bradford, Jackson, or Gus.

Very interesting you compare Gus and Keenum because I liked those two when they got the keys to the offense. The main reason being that the got first downs. What you have got to understand is that a rocket arm is great for highlights, but it might not win you games. The most important skill is to get first downs. Especially when they are most needed. You can feel it as a fan. When we get to third down and Teddy, Case, Favre, or Gus were in there you had hope they would move around and get it. Those guys would stand in the pocket and throw at that last moment. That split second when they will be hit, but their guy flashes open.

I haven’t seen that from Cousins and it is why all last season when it became third down I watched my hope disappear.

Can that be coached? Or does a quarterback just have that internal clock and 6th sense about pressure.

Gus should have started that playoff game because he was why we were there. Hell, Ponder impressed me the year helped us make the playoffs, but he got hurt in that game and Webb was crap the next week. Which is why when people focus solely on AP for that era they are morons. If AP was the big reason we always won them why did we suck so bad when Webb came in?

I hate rehashing this piss poor period, but I know you love to troll this shit so I thought I would give you something to chew on. You are so off of quarterbacks it is no wonder you think after last season we are about to win the Super Bowl.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

cunningham wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:12 am

Our disagreement on quarterbacks goes back decades I guess. TJoke was all arm, but Gus got us to the playoffs that year. He got hurt, Jackson comes in and blows away the Cards because they had no film in him. Gus should have started.

This is why you suck at evaluating quarterbacks and it goes deep. I bet JoeTrollSpammer would agree with you just like DHTroll for years spent pushing TJoke to the point where I felt bad for Jackson. I suppose the ultimate irony is that Jackson has a Super Bowl ring.

Here is the flaw though and what you also miss about your beloved Kirk. Jackson and Cousins had amazing arms, Cousins has much better accuracy, but both struggled to get first downs. Both folded in big games. Having more time to watch Jackson one major issue was that he could be game-planned for and shut down.

In the NFL for a quarterback to succeed you have to change up your patterns and tendencies. That is what makes the position so unbelievably difficult. Eagles called out Bradford and said when he was pressured he threw outside. So the has corners drop to the edges. Chicago did the same thing. That is why when Bradford came in against the Bears for Keenum he was shut down. The injury was the excuse. Same with TJoke, the injury was an excuse to get him off the field.

Before you get your panties all bunched up I want to say that Cousins is significantly more experienced and a better quarterback than Bradford, Jackson, or Gus.

Very interesting you compare Gus and Keenum because I liked those two when they got the keys to the offense. The main reason being that the got first downs. What you have got to understand is that a rocket arm is great for highlights, but it might not win you games. The most important skill is to get first downs. Especially when they are most needed. You can feel it as a fan. When we get to third down and Teddy, Case, Favre, or Gus were in there you had hope they would move around and get it. Those guys would stand in the pocket and throw at that last moment. That split second when they will be hit, but their guy flashes open.

I haven’t seen that from Cousins and it is why all last season when it became third down I watched my hope disappear.

Can that be coached? Or does a quarterback just have that internal clock and 6th sense about pressure.

Gus should have started that playoff game because he was why we were there. Hell, Ponder impressed me the year helped us make the playoffs, but he got hurt in that game and Webb was crap the next week. Which is why when people focus solely on AP for that era they are morons. If AP was the big reason we always won them why did we suck so bad when Webb came in?

I hate rehashing this piss poor period, but I know you love to troll this shit so I thought I would give you something to chew on. You are so off of quarterbacks it is no wonder you think after last season we are about to win the Super Bowl.
You get that Tube? The guy that was impressed by Ponder is calling your QB take out.

:lol:
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

I (barely) got as far as Travius....
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

vikesbumeout wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 am I (barely) got as far as Travius....
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:56 am
vikesbumeout wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 am I (barely) got as far as Travius....
I see I misspelled his name. I should have gone with “Tragic-ious”.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:30 am
cunningham wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:12 am

You get that Tube? The guy that was impressed by Ponder is calling your QB take out.

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Why do I bother with you two?

Morons. Hate is right about you Sergeant Rubetube I guess.

Here I thought you wanted a conversation, but I should have known better.