Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fleck extended???

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
hategreenticemase

Fleck extended???

Post by hategreenticemase »

To be clear, my position on Fleck hasn't changed. Don't like the over the top crap, I do think his resume shows he is possibly a damn good coach, have disliked many coaching things I have seen so far (especially what's happened to the defense and tackling) but most certainly am not forming a final opinion on him 10 games in. Any coach deserves to show what he can do over 2-3 years.

All that said I'm working out and listening to 1500. Did they really just report he has been extended two years??? Huh????

If you are in first year, don't you usually have to have a great year to be extended? Or a really good year? Or a pretty good year?

Someone please explain this to me. What possible reason is there to do this now???
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Fleck extended???

Post by HeHateMe »

According to the press release, he has the best record of any first year head coach, yikes!

It's adding a year onto his deal, I think... meaningless extension at this point.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***

Post by Donovan McNabb »

We just lost 39-0, seems like a perfect time to reward our coach
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Good move by Coyle.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

It's for recruiting. It's always for recruiting.

Unless you're Joel Maturi - then it could be for any reason.
Ketchup can be nuancy
hategreenticemase

Ask Not wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 pm It's for recruiting. It's always for recruiting.

Haha,the last part made me laugh. His wussing out on not firing Monson in March, bringing him back and then firing him in Dec, was an all timer. Its utterly preposterous the guy has his name on a fn building.

I get what you are saying about recruiting, but he was just hired. End of 2nd year, to ensure he has 4 years, I get it. Makes no sense now, simply no reason for it.
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 pm
Ask Not wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 pm It's for recruiting. It's always for recruiting.

Haha,the last part made me laugh. His wussing out on not firing Monson in March, bringing him back and then firing him in Dec, was an all timer. Its utterly preposterous the guy has his name on a fn building.

I get what you are saying about recruiting, but he was just hired. End of 2nd year, to ensure he has 4 years, I get it. Makes no sense now, simply no reason for it.
The Pav at Joel Maturi is absolutely deserved. He focused on those programs the most. That's what is upsetting to people like us, but to those minor sport rubes, he's very well liked.

I go to the Pav like twice per month now with my daughters to see different events. Maturi is still there quite often.
His name doesn't belong on the Barn, but the Pav seems right to me.

He got Hugh McCutcheon to come here. He might be the best volleyball coach in America. The wrestlers were also very good under Robinson, who worked under Maturi.

Of course, you could argue that he spent too much time on those sports, but that's how you get your name on the building.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
hategreenticemase

tbgh wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 pm

The Pav at Joel Maturi is absolutely deserved. He focused on those programs the most. That's what is upsetting to people like us, but to those minor sport rubes, he's very well liked.

I go to the Pav like twice per month now with my daughters to see different events. Maturi is still there quite often.
His name doesn't belong on the Barn, but the Pav seems right to me.

He got Hugh McCutcheon to come here. He might be the best volleyball coach in America. The wrestlers were also very good under Robinson, who worked under Maturi.

Of course, you could argue that he spent too much time on those sports, but that's how you get your name on the building.
Great and well liked guy, great D3 Ad, great for non revenue sports, but a completely in over his head D1 Athletic Director. He had as much to do with long term fail in football and basketball as anyone. Should have never been an Ad at a major university.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Meaningless.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

How do I get a job at the U of M? Do a below average job and get extended 👍
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***

Post by Donovan McNabb »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:49 pm How do I get a job at the U of M? Do a below average job and get extended 👍
Do you think you could do better than losing 70-0 in the last 2 games? We lost 39-0 and 31-0 the last 2 games. If you could lose 70-7, you're hired!
j-one

Post by j-one »

6 win season = lifetime contract?

Actually I'm still fine with Fleck, give him a couple of years with his recruits. He better get a QB for next season.