Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vanterpool hired as associate head coach

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Vanterpool hired as associate head coach

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: Vanterpool hired as associate head coach

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Sounds like a solid hire. I like that the country club vibe is getting broken up a bit, other than Ryan of course. But at least they are bringing people in from the outside with zero ties to the organization.
Let's get Tropical
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Saunders was "key" in the process.

Sounds like he is actually in on the hiring of assistants and not just given his staff as some have suggested.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

This is huge IMO. I'd have taken him as HC. He's got a solid resume and examples of his effect on some pretty great players.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I like this.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I have no idea. Comes from a good organization. Basketball folks seem to respect him. I have no idea on his coaching philosophy or player development ideas. Probably better than Sidney Lowe.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 pm This is huge IMO. I'd have taken him as HC. He's got a solid resume and examples of his effect on some pretty great players.
Any chance he can get Wiggins to play better D?

Now THAT would be huge.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Interesting that Ryan wanted Sid Lowe as associate head coach and Rosas said no and chose this guy instead.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:41 pm
irishman89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 pm This is huge IMO. I'd have taken him as HC. He's got a solid resume and examples of his effect on some pretty great players.

Now THAT would be huge.
He tied for third place last year in a general manager survey of best assistant coaches in the league and is often credited with the impressive turnaround in the Blazers’ defensive metrics. This guy is more qualified than Ryan. He's a GREAT hire.

He was also an assistant for Team Canada in 2015 so he and Wiggins have a good relationship already from that.
JoeBagO'Donuts

Post by JoeBagO'Donuts »

The competence thus far has been astounding. Thanks Ethan Casson!
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Now THAT would be huge.
He tied for third place last year in a general manager survey of best assistant coaches in the league and is often credited with the impressive turnaround in the Blazers’ defensive metrics. This guy is more qualified than Ryan. He's a GREAT hire.

He was also an assistant for Team Canada in 2015 so he and Wiggins have a good relationship already from that.
Sweet. Now two people can whisper to him.
This is the year he NEEDS to make a jump.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i wonder how close he's going to be to making saunders salary? he's got the title-but i bet he wanted the dough too.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

He was up for more than just our job. It's a great get.

Front office, coaching staff. All coming together with some impressive dudes. Let's hope they can get together and do the same to the roster.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Front office, coaching staff. All coming together with some impressive dudes. Let's hope they can get together and do the same to the roster.
Maybe just maybe Glen got this right. I will give it a couple years before I feel good about anything. (Or bad)
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:09 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Maybe just maybe Glen got this right. I will give it a couple years before I feel good about anything. (Or bad)
This is the one hope we have and we still have to feel wary about it. Country Club guys are the only one's he trusts. Hopefully Ryan is Flip x 2 in the smarts department.
Wakanda

Post by Wakanda »

Another great hire by the Gersson Rosas
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Wakanda wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:46 pm Another great hire by the Gersson Rosas
I'd give more to Ryan on this one as no bench coach on the cusp of a head ob works for anyone he's not on the same page with. Though maybe he also thinks Ryan will not last.
Wakanda

Post by Wakanda »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:48 pm
I'd give more to Ryan on this one as no bench coach on the cusp of a head ob works for anyone he's not on the same page with. Though maybe he also thinks Ryan will not last.
And who had the vision to hire Ryan? :beer:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Wakanda wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:11 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:48 pm
And who had the vision to hire Ryan? :beer:
I'm a fan so far no doubt.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

The body fat percentage of the coaching staff just dropped about 97% over the last few months. I always wondered what it would be like to be surrounded by old fat guys that don't take care of their bodies and want to tell you about how your career should go in athletics.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

WE COMMIN’ WE COMMIN’.....

Now get Teague the fuck out of here and will go by a Wolves jersey and have it customized to Flight 5!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Associate Head Coach? Has this been done before? Interesting concept, and I hope it provides the support Sauders needs to flourish.

On the FB page, it was announced he has just become a father, so I daresay he will have his hands very very busy and will need to have someone relieve him of duties every so often.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Another home run by Rosas.

I just hope all of these great moves actually translates into success.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
witljon

Post by witljon »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:25 pm Another home run by Rosas.

I just hope all of these great moves actually translates into success.
Even good coaches need good players.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:09 pm Associate Head Coach? Has this been done before? Interesting concept, and I hope it provides the support Sauders needs to flourish.

On the FB page, it was announced he has just become a father, so I daresay he will have his hands very very busy and will need to have someone relieve him of duties every so often.
I read that Rosas wanted there to be a football type coaching staff...with an offensive guy, a defensive guy, a player development guy and the head coach co-ordinating everyone. Guess we got defensive guy.
My heart is family.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:09 pm Associate Head Coach? Has this been done before? Interesting concept, and I hope it provides the support Sauders needs to flourish.

As an extra...which facebook group do you follow? I am on Minnesota Timberwolves Nation/ NBA talk and Minnesota Timberwolves Fans United.
My heart is family.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:08 pm

As an extra...which facebook group do you follow? I am on Minnesota Timberwolves Nation/ NBA talk and Minnesota Timberwolves Fans United.
This was just the official TWolves page.

I think I have seen the one you're talking about, but it's a private group and I daresay my identity would be easy to pick out.