Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

KDC: Most pressured QB in 2018

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Re: KDC: Most pressured QB in 2018

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

silverjoel wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 pm
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 pm Red Zone Stats (Inside the 20):

Cousins 2018 = 48/72, 67%, 302 yards, 20 TD's

Keenum 2017 = 33/53, 62%, 233 yards, 17 TD's

Teddy 2015 = 20/48, 42%, 140 yards, 9 TD's

:lol:
Hey, Cousins is only 5 short of Blake Bortles' 25 red zone TD throws in 2015. He does have Bortles' 18 TD throws in 2016 and 2017 beat by 2. So, he's got that going for him.
Great off topic point! Your specialty!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Was watching a few videos tonight of Kirk "Ripping the cord" Damn does he get it out quick with the flick of a wrist.

#AllTheIntangibles
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:43 pm Was watching a few videos tonight of Kirk "Ripping the cord" Damn does he get it out quick with the flick of a wrist.

#AllTheIntangibles

:scooter:

First off, I thought personal viewpoints and our own perceptions were not allowed in this thread? Just stats?

Second, Kirk Cousins in 2018 ranked #22 out of 32 quarterbacks for how long it took him to throw. He is literally the polar opposite of "Ripping the Chord." His TT was 2.74. Case Keenum last season was 2.68. #23 right after Kirk was Blake Bortles. Cam Newton holds the ball a shorter amount of time than Cousins. There was a lot of talk when we played the Bears how they were working very hard to get Mitch under 2.7, which he ended at 2.65. In 2017 KDC was at 2.7. He got worse in that category this season. \

If he can get under 2.7 that would be the best of his career. He tends to hold the ball too long with his indecisiveness. Case Keenum in 2017 was 2.2...

Just kidding... He was 2.78. And with a worse offensive line. He did cut it down to 2.68 this past season in Denver though. If you can move around and sense pressure you can hold the ball a while, but Cousins doesn't have the luxury. Sam Bradford was 2.48 back in 2016. If anyone remembers the talk back then about him getting the ball out quickly. Although, with Bradford he would get it out so quickly that when it was 3rd and 7 he would throw for 4 yards. Cousins doesn't have that problem. He either will fumble or just wildly toss the ball out.

Hopefully with Kubiak and this new offense Cousins gets the ball out in under 2.7 seconds. That would help this offensive line more than anything else.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I think how long you hold the ball is a function of a lot of things: how well the protection holds up, how quickly routes develop and receivers uncover, how quickly the qb reads and makes decisions, and down and distance and other game situation.

To me a better stat is how long it takes a guy to get the ball out once he starts his throwing motion. How compact is his delivery? Randall Cunningham, for example, was great at a lot of things, but had a big wind-up. Favre had a really quick release. Etc.

That's as important and purely a function of a QB’s ability, so it’s an easier talker not muddied up by mitigating circumstances.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:33 am I think how long you hold the ball is a function of a lot of things: how well the protection holds up, how quickly routes develop and receivers uncover, how quickly the qb reads and makes decisions, and down and distance and other game situation.

To me a better stat is how long it takes a guy to get the ball out once he starts his throwing motion. How compact is his delivery? Randall Cunningham, for example, was great at a lot of things, but had a big wind-up. Favre had a really quick release. Etc.

That's as important and purely a function of a QB’s ability, so it’s an easier talker not muddied up by mitigating circumstances.
There you go being reasonable again Beef :thumbsup:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:33 am I think how long you hold the ball is a function of a lot of things: how well the protection holds up, how quickly routes develop and receivers uncover, how quickly the qb reads and makes decisions, and down and distance and other game situation.

Cunningham did have that wind up - like a sling shot. I couldn't find a TT from back that far for him, but he also was the best scrambling quarterback in the NFL. I can't remember if he blew his ACL once or twice though? I know his wife was a famous ballerina and taught him moves that helped his game as well. He was my favorite quarterback to play the game all the way back to his UNLV days.

What I started to notice about Kirk was that he would drop back, scan the field, and then around the 2 second mark he would pat the ball. That takes an extra second. Not sure if he was taught that to avoid fumbles, but it is something that I feel is an enormous waste of valuable time and a habit someone needs to get him to break. I could see if you pull the ball down and run, but he pats it and then throws. When the line started to get the blame I often wondered why they didn't get his passing times down? They did that when Bradford was here to negate that offensive line. Keenum held the ball pretty long, but he was also scrambling around and finding someone open. That is probably what annoyed the coaches about Keenum - he wasn't hitting the timing patterns. He was adlibbing. Rodgers has made a career out of doing that, but I don't think that was Shurmur's MO - especially when I see that Bradford was getting the ball out extremely quickly the prior season. Also why Keenum might have saved Shurmur's butt and gotten him a job in NY.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Watch him pat it in the last fumble here. This was unquestionably Kirk's best game of the season. He pats the ball early a ton, then warms up, and does it less. Skip to 12:30 for the fumble that ended the game. He pats the ball and then it gets knocked out. That is one thing I would like to see him stop doing. Just throw the ball!

Good play action throughout the game. Good throws. We were close in this one.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:21 pm Watch him pat it in the last fumble here. This was unquestionably Kirk's best game of the season. He pats the ball early a ton, then warms up, and does it less. Skip to 12:30 for the fumble that ended the game. He pats the ball and then it gets knocked out. That is one thing I would like to see him stop doing. Just throw the ball!

Good play action throughout the game. Good throws. We were close in this one.

A lot, and I mean a lot of QB's do this. Yet you feel so strongly about the one or two issues in a game in which he pats the ball before every throw, and kills it for the majority of the game.
Dude

Post by Dude »

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:19 pmI know his wife was a famous ballerina
He should have married a lifeguard.

I know, I know.... I'll show myself out.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

It's pretty simple, Kirk's a rhythm passer, and Cunningham thinks it might be better for him to throw the ball before he's ready to. Or before the play unfolds as drawn up.

To avoid touching the ball with his other hand. Something that's actually so natural, go out and throw the ball yourself and see if you don't do this.

I don't know the exact reason, but I'd think it could be a grip thing. But yeah, Cunningham doesn't like what it looks like. And he wants him to drop the iPad. Fucking weird dude.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm It's pretty simple, Kirk's a rhythm passer, and Cunningham thinks it might be better for him to throw the ball before he's ready to. Or before the play unfolds as drawn up.

To avoid touching the ball with his other hand. Something that's actually so natural, go out and throw the ball yourself and see if you don't do this.

I don't know the exact reason, but I'd think it could be a grip thing. But yeah, Cunningham doesn't like what it looks like. And he wants him to drop the iPad. Fucking weird dude.
Thank you!

Being called weird by you is a compliment because trolling has been associated with psychotic disorders. Adding the f-bomb to it is like a cherry on top.

Watch his passes - he doesn't do it all the time. When a guy is averaging over 2.7 a throw he needs to cut it down somehow.

When you watch film on him he doesn't do it all the time, but whenever he throws an interception or fumbles he usually pats the ball. Maybe it is a habit to stabilize the ball, but if I am a coach and trying to get a quicker release from him that is one thing I would work on.

Maybe God will just make Cousins a better quarterback next year? Seems like he is giving a lot of advice to Cousins:

cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Dude wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:47 pm
cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:19 pmI know his wife was a famous ballerina

:shock:

I didn't get it at first, but whoa... That is some dark humor there!
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:23 pm
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm It's pretty simple, Kirk's a rhythm passer, and Cunningham thinks it might be better for him to throw the ball before he's ready to. Or before the play unfolds as drawn up.

Thank you!

Being called weird by you is a compliment because trolling has been associated with psychotic disorders. Adding the f-bomb to it is like a cherry on top.

Watch his passes - he doesn't do it all the time. When a guy is averaging over 2.7 a throw he needs to cut it down somehow.

When you watch film on him he doesn't do it all the time, but whenever he throws an interception or fumbles he usually pats the ball. Maybe it is a habit to stabilize the ball, but if I am a coach and trying to get a quicker release from him that is one thing I would work on.

Maybe God will just make Cousins a better quarterback next year? Seems like he is giving a lot of advice to Cousins:

Yup, you pick out the weirdest fucking things and try to create a straight line that doesn't exist. If you want to say he could take less time with the ball, fine, there are plenty of other things that feed into that, as Beef said. But this stupid pat the ball obsession you have is really weird, sorry to tell you that.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

I see lots of NFL QB's do this. It's not at all unusual and means NOTHING IMO.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe, it is too easy to get you going. I got bored a long time ago and have been seeing how far this can go. Page 10 is getting tough though.

Cousins holds the ball too long. Get that ball out quicker, learn how to sense pressure better, and go through the reads faster... It is so simple!

I miss this:

Dude

Post by Dude »

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:26 pm
Dude wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:47 pm

:shock:

I didn't get it at first, but whoa... That is some dark humor there!
Yeah, it wasn't my proudest joke.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

We just need a guy like Randall Cunningham.. Then we can save at punter and quarterback.

I bet you think that Kirk Cousins was as good as Randall Cunningham too.

Last edited by cunningham on Fri May 17, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

twgerber wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 pm

I see lots of NFL QB's do this. It's not at all unusual and means NOTHING IMO.
Correct, it doesn't.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:08 pm Joe, it is too easy to get you going. I got bored a long time ago and have been seeing how far this can go. Page 10 is getting tough though.

Cousins holds the ball too long. Get that ball out quicker, learn how to sense pressure better, and go through the reads faster... It is so simple!

I miss this:

I agree that the offense could operate more efficiently, that is correct.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm We just need a guy like Randall Cunningham.. Then we can save at punter and quarterback.

Wipe the drool from your mouth, close it and breathe from your nose, and consider maybe speaking to yourself instead of writing everything you think about here.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:26 pm
cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm We just need a guy like Randall Cunningham.. Then we can save at punter and quarterback.

Wipe the drool from your mouth, close it and breathe from your nose, and consider maybe speaking to yourself instead of writing everything you think about here.
Only 69 days until training camp!

Lots more of Kirk Cousins to break down between now and then.

Like what about Kirk's clock management skills... You have a few seconds to go, ball near the goal line, no time outs... All you have to do is spike the ball to stop the clock...

Good ol' Kirk does one better - he takes a knee and lets the clock run out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cunningham

Post by cunningham »

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Great. You found his one poor game where the whole team played terrible.

Also, I was a huge Cunningham fan but yes, Kirk Cousins is a better passer than Cunningham. Cunningham was the more explosive athlete though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:29 pm
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Only 69 days until training camp!

Lots more of Kirk Cousins to break down between now and then.

Like what about Kirk's clock management skills... You have a few seconds to go, ball near the goal line, no time outs... All you have to do is spike the ball to stop the clock...

Good ol' Kirk does one better - he takes a knee and lets the clock run out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sweet dude, let me know when you're finished with that, and maybe we can go through Teddy gaffes. You'll prob need more time for that though. Until then, enjoy!
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Teddy Bridgewater - in the beginning they show his screw ups!

Then tell me about that great supporting cast he had on offense at the time:

You can apologize for the previous 10 pages after watching that video.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm Teddy Bridgewater - in the beginning they show his screw ups!

He turned around and handed it to one of the Greatest of all time. 14/9 :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

"You can apologize for the previous 10 pages after watching that video."

Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm
cunningham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm Teddy Bridgewater - in the beginning they show his screw ups!

He turned around and handed it to one of the Greatest of all time. 14/9 :lol:
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

This thread belongs in some sort of Hall of Shame.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:27 pm This thread belongs in some sort of Hall of Shame.