Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Post Lottery Trade Idea

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
beetlebum71

Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by beetlebum71 »

Wiggins to Memphis for Conley and a heavily protected #1. Who says no?
bri

Re: Post Lottery Trade Idea

Post by bri »

Memphis says no
Wolves should try to trade up to grab white
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Jesus Henry Tap Dancing CHRIST!

Let this shit go already
T_J

Post by T_J »

So not this year's first, but say next year's, top 15 protected?

Yes I'm in.
T_J

Post by T_J »

From Justin Verrier on the Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5/17 ... -nba-draft
Minnesota Timberwolves: The last max free agent the Grizzlies signed has spent more time in exile than he has on the court. So while clearing the next two seasons of Conley’s contract would help create financial flexibility—particularly in 2020-21, when Memphis’s books are a dewy meadow of open cap space—it’s unlikely that it could put those dollars to work on the open market. It might make more sense to target young veterans who can grow alongside a Morant-Jackson core, much like it did when it got Valanciunas (27) and Delon Wright (27) from the Raptors in exchange for Gasol.

Enter Andrew Wiggins. As disappointing as the former no. 1 overall pick has been in his first … oh, God, it’s been five seasons already? Yeesh. OK, well, still: There’s a hyperathletic 3-and-D wing somewhere hiding behind the 41 percent shooting, the listless play, the contract, the expectations, and the bad habits formed as a result of trying to live up to the expectations. And it doesn’t seem to benefit the Timberwolves franchise or Karl-Anthony Towns, who can and should be a fixture in the MVP conversation by now, to keep hoping and praying for that outcome. In trading Wiggins for Conley, straight up, the Grizzlies would take on the burden of Wiggins’s four more years at his maximum in the hopes of rounding out their young core with a player who could be, in theory, an ideal fit on the wing. The Wolves, meanwhile, would have to wrestle with deploying diminutive dual-PG lineups featuring Conley (6-foot-1) and Jeff Teague (6-foot-2), unless they want to stretch the $19 million owed next season to Teague or attached a pick or two to dump his deal entirely. But it may still be worth it for the extra two years of cap space and the hope that Conley’s steady hand can guide the franchise toward the success it thought it was going to have when it won the KAT lottery four years ago.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

How do we get Beal for Wiggins +?
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

The Replacements wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:06 pm How do we get Beal for Wiggins +?
First, and foremost, we need to remind Washington that we are talking about a former #1 overall pick, rookie of the year, and 2015 Rising Stars MVP.

That should pretty much seal the deal for Beal.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Decker23 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:15 pm
The Replacements wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:06 pm How do we get Beal for Wiggins +?
First, and foremost, we need to remind Washington that we are talking about a former #1 overall pick, rookie of the year, and 2015 Rising Stars MVP.

You forgot to mention his smile. Don't forget to mention his smile.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:24 pm

What's good about his smile? All that money and he still doesn't want to get braces? Moss and Torii did it here!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Wiggins for Conley plus a pick would be something I would entertain especially should we find a buyer for Teauge. Would rather make a deal for a lower profile player from a desperate team which would also be more realistic, but Memphis is probably desperate on some level too, however making such a deal would also destroy Teauge's value who himself may bring in a pick for taking 20-21 salary. The goal is to get all the value you can and stacking Conley and Teauge is the opposite of what you would want to do on paper.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm Wiggins to Memphis for Conley and a heavily protected #1. Who says no?
How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte
Teague + #11 to New Orleans
Holiday + Batum to Minnesota

That seems more realistic than Memphis taking on Wiggins at this point.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

T_J wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:41 pm From Justin Verrier on the Ringer:

Minnesota Timberwolves: The last max free agent the Grizzlies signed has spent more time in exile than he has on the court. So while clearing the next two seasons of Conley’s contract would help create financial flexibility—particularly in 2020-21, when Memphis’s books are a dewy meadow of open cap space—it’s unlikely that it could put those dollars to work on the open market. It might make more sense to target young veterans who can grow alongside a Morant-Jackson core, much like it did when it got Valanciunas (27) and Delon Wright (27) from the Raptors in exchange for Gasol.

Enter Andrew Wiggins. As disappointing as the former no. 1 overall pick has been in his first … oh, God, it’s been five seasons already? Yeesh. OK, well, still: There’s a hyperathletic 3-and-D wing somewhere hiding behind the 41 percent shooting, the listless play, the contract, the expectations, and the bad habits formed as a result of trying to live up to the expectations. And it doesn’t seem to benefit the Timberwolves franchise or Karl-Anthony Towns, who can and should be a fixture in the MVP conversation by now, to keep hoping and praying for that outcome. In trading Wiggins for Conley, straight up, the Grizzlies would take on the burden of Wiggins’s four more years at his maximum in the hopes of rounding out their young core with a player who could be, in theory, an ideal fit on the wing. The Wolves, meanwhile, would have to wrestle with deploying diminutive dual-PG lineups featuring Conley (6-foot-1) and Jeff Teague (6-foot-2), unless they want to stretch the $19 million owed next season to Teague or attached a pick or two to dump his deal entirely. But it may still be worth it for the extra two years of cap space and the hope that Conley’s steady hand can guide the franchise toward the success it thought it was going to have when it won the KAT lottery four years ago.
I don't think the Wolves would (should) waste money stretching Teague and I think they'll have a hard time trading him. So instead of adding a point guard, would you take a chance on replacing Wiggins with an underperforming small forward? I think Hayward will bounce back in year two after his injury. Boston could return to its core (assuming Irving walks) that had success without Irving/Hayward and clear space for a run at Anthony Davis.

Hayward's a couple years younger than Conley. If it doesn't work out, he has two fewer years on his contract than Wiggins.

Per 100 Possessions:

Advanced:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm Wiggins to Memphis for Conley and a heavily protected #1. Who says no?
The Grizz say NO! And hang up and :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

We can't. We have nothing worth Beal other than Kat.

They would of needed to get a top 4 pick to pull that off imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

memyworld wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:57 pm

I don't think the Wolves would (should) waste money stretching Teague and I think they'll have a hard time trading him. So instead of adding a point guard, would you take a chance on replacing Wiggins with an underperforming small forward? I think Hayward will bounce back in year two after his injury. Boston could return to its core (assuming Irving walks) that had success without Irving/Hayward and clear space for a run at Anthony Davis.

Hayward's a couple years younger than Conley. If it doesn't work out, he has two fewer years on his contract than Wiggins.

Per 100 Possessions:

Advanced:
Yes I would do this instantly too. Hayward will be much better next year and would have a much bigger role here than with two other guys who play his position.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:56 pm
How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte

At least it's realistic but I would rather keep Wiggins and #11. Batum does nothing for me.

Wiggins may still turn out and I wouldn't trade #11 straight up for Holiday.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte

Ship it.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

My scenario is hope Nets get Kyrie.

Russell shipped out for anything they want not named Kat or RoCo.

Problem is, someone will offer more than that.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 pm
How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte

At least it's realistic but I would rather keep Wiggins and #11. Batum does nothing for me.

Wiggins may still turn out and I wouldn't trade #11 straight up for Holiday.
I'd prefer to keep #11 if possible, maybe they can get back some second rounders in the deal but Holiday >>>> Teague. Batum might not be an upgrade over Wiggins but his contract expires with Gorgui's after the 2020-2021 season.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:06 pm My scenario is hope Nets get Kyrie.

Russell leaving Brooklyn would be interesting. I'd assume they decline his QO making him a UFA if they can get commitments from Kyrie and Butler. If he hits free agency as a UFA, we obviously cannot land him.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:06 pm My scenario is hope Nets get Kyrie.

Russell leaving Brooklyn would be interesting. I'd assume they decline his QO making him a UFA if they can get commitments from Kyrie and Butler. If he hits free agency as a UFA, we obviously cannot land him.
Oh I thought Russell just got a deal from them but hadn't followed very closely. I would live to get him but that makes it even more unlikely.

I agree Holiday is better than anything we have at the 1 but I'm not willing to part with #11 for him.

Too many injuries and he's one of those guy's that can be off and on and they always seem to be off when the Wolves end up with them.

I don't want Conley either. This team either needs to find a way to get a guy who is really young with star potential or keep making the lottery for a few year's and build that way.

I'm not interested in fighting for a #8 seed with a old ass Conley etc..
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:24 pm

What's good about his smile? All that money and he still doesn't want to get braces? Moss and Torii did it here!
Yet another sign of his laziness.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte

If Gerson and company can pull that off - We shall call him "Lord Rosas"

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

How about this:

Wiggins to Charlotte

This team is not in a position to take on a player like Holiday at the expense of picks and cheap controllable labor. Frankly, he wouldn't improve the team anymore than Butler did and it is more than likely the team is worse than it was with Butler.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

IF memphis would do a straight wiggs for conley thing, i'd consider it A LOT just to get out of wiggs long term $$$.

i don't think it matters that much that conley's old and occasionally busts - or that we'd have to figure out "what to do" with jeff teague. oooooh. what should we DO with jeff teague?!?!? easy - just make conley the starter for the final two years of his contract, make teague the backup for the last year of his contract, let tyus walk, and draft the best PG we can next year when the draft is going to be full of them. concentrate this year's draft on getting the best bigs we can next to KAT (clarke in the first, konate in the second). and sign a free agent wing to replace wiggs and share time with okogie and reynolds (lamb, hezonja, bullock, korkmaz, justin anderson, alkins).

we're a playoff team next year. a non-factor playoff team, but a playoff team. we should keep our eye on the prize - that is, playoff relevance - and to do that, we need to find ways to not have so much of our cash nailed down long term in non-productive players.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri May 17, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Conley......Just No.....quit beating that dead horse. Butuum as well....Just Stop.

Wolves won’t move Wiggins just to move him, GM will wait a year and see what he looks like and see if he can turn him at all this season. If not, dump him the next season - if your getting nothing now, you will get the same nothing next year. One year less on his deal he would be more attractive based on that alone.

Just hope for the best at this point. It’s all we can do because the 11th pick sucks shit. Lottery Gods were again not kind and we will have to hope for a diamond in the rough. It’s not even fun to talk about players because so much is out of the Wolves control before #11.

Oh well...

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

why does 11 have to suck? christ, think outside your own box for a change.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

T_J wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 pm
memyworld wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Per 100 Possessions:

Advanced:
Yes I would do this instantly too. Hayward will be much better next year and would have a much bigger role here than with two other guys who play his position.
I question whether or not Memphis wants to take on Wiggins' contract, but they also took on Chandler Parsons, so maybe? At least Wiggins stays on the court.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

"With this trade you have decreased this team's projected wins by 5"

:(
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I would trade Wiggins straight up for Hayward in a heartbeat.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master