Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2022 Gophers Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

2022 Gophers Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

The stars of the class so far:
Prince Aligbe

https://247sports.com/Player/Prince-Aligbe-46081293/

Tre Holloman

https://247sports.com/Player/Trejuan-Holloman-46056913/

This kid will be really, really good too I think:

Last edited by HeHateMe on Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Re: 2022 Gophers Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

Wisconsin just offered Heide.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:20 pm Wisconsin just offered Heide.
Ranked white Minnesotan? I think they're required to offer him.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:18 pm
Right? :lol:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:27 pm
Interesting how they always seem to have a roster full of white fellows....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Hornets wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:42 pm

They're one of the few schools that expects players to get accepted and attend class. Those requirements eliminate a lot of great prospects.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:05 pm

They're one of the few schools that expects players to get accepted and attend class. Those requirements eliminate a lot of great prospects.
Minnesota has had problems getting kids admitted.

I am curious on Wisconsin, why have they not offered Aligbe yet but did offer Heide? Perhaps it's realistic expectations, not race. Aligbe will be a five star talent with every school offering. Get in on a guy like Heide early who projects to be a top 100 4 star player...
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:15 pm

I am curious on Wisconsin, why have they not offered Aligbe yet but did offer Heide? Perhaps it's realistic expectations, not race. Aligbe will be a five star talent with every school offering. Get in on a guy like Heide early who projects to be a top 100 4 star player...
I have a feeling when the initial contact is made with a player, they know if the player is interested. Any prospect that wants to "play fast" or "get to the NBA" usually goes somewhere else. I suspect they had initial conversations with every Minnesota prospect.

Their recruiting (offered) Jalen Johnson (5 star from Madison/Milwaukee) even though their chances of landing him are less than 2%. That's more for local PR. That's the same story with Patrick Baldwin Jr.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:24 pm

I have a feeling when the initial contact is made with a player, they know if the player is interested. Any prospect that wants to "play fast" or "get to the NBA" usually goes somewhere else. I suspect they had initial conversations with every Minnesota prospect.

Their recruiting (offered) Jalen Johnson (5 star from Madison/Milwaukee) even though their chances of landing him are less than 2%. That's more for local PR. That's the same story with Patrick Baldwin Jr.
Yeah, unfortunately for people who like to see kids stay local.... Johnson already has some Duke rumors out there.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:28 pm
The Replacements wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Yeah, unfortunately for people who like to see kids stay local.... Johnson already has some Duke rumors out there.
Baldwin is rumored to Duke as well. I could see Johnson going to Kentucky.

Johnson is ranked in the top 5 in his class and Baldwin is ranked the #1 sophomore. Sometimes I wished Wisconsin would cheat a little. They need to bring back Stu Jackson.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Purdue seems to be mentioned a lot in these recruiting threads lately. I hope Minnesota staff is working as hard as them.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
The Replacements

Badgers offered Trejuan Holloman.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

INSIJS wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:24 pm Purdue seems to be mentioned a lot in these recruiting threads lately. I hope Minnesota staff is working as hard as them.
There are a ton of coaches passing through here right now and rightfully so... all these kids are fairly close to each other in the metro area so you can make a day trip to see 6-7 top 100 recruits regardless of class. It's insane how much talent is in this area right now considering the market... you expect this with the big cities but can you get around that easy? East Ridge (2) to Minnehaha (3) to Prior Lake (1)… you just covered a nice chunk of talent.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 pm Badgers offered Trejuan Holloman.
At least the Gophers beat them on that one...

Chet Holmgren's first offer was Texas A&M a year ago... he was on Doogie's podcast saying that does mean something to kids.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:42 am
The Replacements wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 pm Badgers offered Trejuan Holloman.

Chet Holmgren's first offer was Texas A&M a year ago... he was on Doogie's podcast saying that does mean something to kids.
How good are the 2 guys the Badgers offered?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:07 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:42 am

How good are the 2 guys the Badgers offered?
I think Holloman and Heide will eventually be top 150 players.. I haven't seen Heide on video but his name came up this year. Wayzata lost to Hopkins in the section finals. Hopkins wins state again of course..

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Gophers offered Heide. A couple sconnie fans on twitter are getting territorial over a freshman forward from MN. lol.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:15 pm Gophers offered Heide. A couple sconnie fans on twitter are getting territorial over a freshman forward from MN. lol.
Well he's a white kid from Minnesota they're getting stiffies just thinking about him. JK Wisconsin folks.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:15 pm Gophers offered Heide. A couple sconnie fans on twitter are getting territorial over a freshman forward from MN. lol.
What's funny to Badger fans is the Gophers always seem to offer Minnesota recruits within days after the Wisconsin offer.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:04 am
What's funny to Badger fans is the Gophers always seem to offer Minnesota recruits within days after the Wisconsin offer.
Maybe for the guys Wisconsin actually gets I suppose.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:30 am
Gophers always seem to slow play the local guys. Not sure why.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 am

Like Pitino said recently in an interview, you can't take all the local kids. When the Badgers got Reuvers/Davison, Pitino was hard after Jericho Sims, Theo John and McKinley Wright. It appears he was right to target Wright over Davison (from a pg perspective at least) but then they took Washington over Wright which was obviously a huge mistake.

I don't know why they eventually offered Davison, sounded like he wanted to be a Gopher most of his life and then Pitino didn't connect with him until it was way too late.

Gophers slow played Tyler Wahl, Tyrell Terry and David Roddy last year and in the case of Roddy, his parents did not want him to come here for that simple reason.

Nice to offer Heide (a freshman) now but he still hasn't offered JVonne Hadley or Steven Crowl, two local 2020 kids who will 100% be high major players. Is that a mistake? IMO yes. But he's also hot after Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton and Jalen Suggs instead.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:42 am

Like Pitino said recently in an interview, you can't take all the local kids. When the Badgers got Reuvers/Davison, Pitino was hard after Jericho Sims, Theo John and McKinley Wright. It appears he was right to target Wright over Davison (from a pg perspective at least) but then they took Washington over Wright which was obviously a huge mistake.

I don't know why they eventually offered Davison, sounded like he wanted to be a Gopher most of his life and then Pitino didn't connect with him until it was way too late.

Gophers slow played Tyler Wahl, Tyrell Terry and David Roddy last year and in the case of Roddy, his parents did not want him to come here for that simple reason.

Nice to offer Heide (a freshman) now but he still hasn't offered JVonne Hadley or Steven Crowl, two local 2020 kids who will 100% be high major players. Is that a mistake? IMO yes. But he's also hot after Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton and Jalen Suggs instead.
If I was the local coach, I would still recruit local players even if I don't offer them right away. If they had a relationship with Davison, he might have been an option. It seems like Pitino likes to recruit nationally like his father and that may not be the best idea with all the local talent.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:03 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:42 am

If I was the local coach, I would still recruit local players even if I don't offer them right away. If they had a relationship with Davison, he might have been an option. It seems like Pitino likes to recruit nationally like his father and that may not be the best idea with all the local talent.
I don't know that Richard is a big recruiter, I think he defers to his assistants a ton on recruiting. Ben Johnson was the local guy obviously until he left, now it sounds like it's a combo platter of all the coaches recruiting locally but Richard is more involved now than he was when Johnson was here.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:10 am
The Replacements wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:03 am
I don't know that Richard is a big recruiter, I think he defers to his assistants a ton on recruiting. Ben Johnson was the local guy obviously until he left, now it sounds like it's a combo platter of all the coaches recruiting locally but Richard is more involved now than he was when Johnson was here.
That's either bullshit or a good reason to find a new coach. He had nearly zero coaching experience when he arrived, so if he can't recruit, what can he do?

Get out there and close on good recruits and create lasting relationships with good programs around the state.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:26 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:10 am
That's either bullshit or a good reason to find a new coach. He had nearly zero coaching experience when he arrived, so if he can't recruit, what can he do?

Get out there and close on good recruits and create lasting relationships with good programs around the state.
Obviously he can recruit and he talks to recruits all the time. I'm simply saying I think he defers to assistants a lot to go find the guys and then they decide together who to go after. So if Ben Johnson locally preferred McKinley Wright over Brad Davison, or if Kimani Young preferred Washington over someone else, Pitino went with the recommendations. I saw Pitino with Ben a lot when it came to watching local kids play but I don't know that you ever saw Pitino there by himself. Ben was the contact.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Heide/Holloman/Nnaji were all guests for the Gophers last night. Stud trio of in state sophomores. Haven't heard Aligbe's name for awhile though.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Aligbe was quietly a beast last Saturday in Waseca. So good on the glass and on the defensive end. You can see he’s got offensive talent, but knows when to just go with the flow of the game. He didn’t have to do a lot of scoring, but still fills the stat sheet.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:02 pm Aligbe was quietly a beast last Saturday in Waseca. So good on the glass and on the defensive end. You can see he’s got offensive talent, but knows when to just go with the flow of the game. He didn’t have to do a lot of scoring, but still fills the stat sheet.
This sounds like my Froob chatting yesterday.
Spoiler:
And Michael Hurt's high school hoops. :|
Ketchup can be nuancy