Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:07 am
j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 am Brandon Clarke? An old, scrawny. 6'8" Canadian with a broken shot, and went to multiple schools, but can dunk and has a nice smile. It's like Wes Johnson and Andrew Wiggins had a baby!

Sign me up!
I'll sign you up for cable TV so you can watch a game and form an "informed" opinion.
Thanks!
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 am Brandon Clarke? An old, scrawny. 6'8" Canadian with a broken shot, and went to multiple schools, but can dunk and has a nice smile. It's like Wes Johnson and Andrew Wiggins had a baby!

Sign me up!
I'll sign you up for cable TV so you can watch a game and form an "informed" opinion.
Personally, Clarke is a bottom third pick in the first. I love the defense and hustle though. I just wish he was younger and could shoot better from range.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Sign me up!
Personally, Clarke is a bottom third pick in the first. I love the defense and hustle though. I just wish he could shoot better from range.
I have zero interest in perimeter players that can't shoot.

DeAndre Hunter is the dream, but he's not falling to 10, he'll go top 5. Maybe Garland? I haven't watched him enough, but I like the little bit I have seen. Coby White? I like him a bit, especially if the belief is he can be a FT PG.

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sign me up!
Personally, Clarke is a bottom third pick in the first. I love the defense and hustle though. I just wish he was younger and could shoot better from range.
So you wish he was a top 3 pick then. Do you ever wish we had a big who could move his feet in P@R defense and block a shot? How about one that can run the floor? Get a defensive rebound? Because those are our weaknesses that cost us games. You know what has cost us zero games? Bigs that don't shoot from 3 and guys that are 22 and over the hill.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Personally, Clarke is a bottom third pick in the first. I love the defense and hustle though. I just wish he could shoot better from range.

DeAndre Hunter is the dream, but he's not falling to 10, he'll go top 5. Maybe Garland? I haven't watched him enough, but I like the little bit I have seen. Coby White? I like him a bit, especially if the belief is he can be a FT PG.
I refer you to this stat called shooting %. Feel free to compare Clarke to Hunter and get back to me.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm

I refer you to this stat called shooting %. Feel free to compare Clarke to Hunter and get back to me.
I have, any specific area you'd like referenced? Or are you just going to stick with vague, butthurt replies?

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm

I have, any specific area you'd like referenced? Or are you just going to stick with vague, butthurt replies?
:lol: You find shooting % vague :lol:

You are the greatest basketball.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:25 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm
:lol: You find shooting % vague :lol:

You are the greatest basketball.
Thanks!

j2j

Post by j2j »

Brandon Clark (This Year/Career)
3pt 26.7%/25.0% Barely ever shoots it.
FT 69.4%/61.8%

DeAndre Hunter
3pt 43.8%/41.9%
FT 78.3%/77.3%

Brandon Clarke has a ridiculous eFG% and TS% because 63% of his shots come at the rim where he's shooting 81.7%. So in other words he's great at finishing at the rim, not a good shooter.

I want perimeter players that can stretch the floor and knock down perimeter shots. He's a nice player, but not what I'd want for this team.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

I have zero problem with defensive role players especially older ones, you just take them later in the draft. He isn't a nothing on offense, like Thybulle, he just doesn't have a modern skill-set that spaces the floor. Still is good enough to use first on.

I like Hunter, a bit of a low ceiling. I love White and his positional flexibility. Garland is skinny and that will hurt him defensively at minimum, but workouts will really see if his offense can offset that. In all honesty it is a weak PG draft and we might not be better off waiting until next year. I view White as a second ball handler who can log some minutes at the 1 and frankly if I didn't think Okogie could guard most 3s I might want a different player over White.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

OK, I have started getting into the draft prospects and watching video/reading bios. What weight will Zion need to get down to to have some career longevity? How in the world is he so heavy in the first place?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:39 pm Brandon Clark (This Year/Career)
FT 69.4%/61.8%

DeAndre Hunter
3pt 43.8%/41.9%
FT 78.3%/77.3%

Brandon Clarke has a ridiculous eFG% and TS% because 63% of his shots come at the rim where he's shooting 81.7%. So in other words he's great at finishing at the rim, not a good shooter.

I want perimeter players that can stretch the floor and knock down perimeter shots. He's a nice player, but not what I'd want for this team.
:lol: Ummmmm..........3's ........um....he don't shoot um.............dunks don't count..........um.......... me make good argument.

Dude come on. Every year I have this draft argument with 20 people. If you want a big that shoots 3's just say so. Don't say you don't want a guy like Clarke who can't shoot because he shoots overall way better than the guy you want. They let you dunk in the NBA too. You want a guy who can block shots, defend bigs, defensive rebound...........and hit 3's. Good luck with that. There isn't one. I'll take the guy that can do the things that are our biggest weakness.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:32 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:39 pm Brandon Clark (This Year/Career)
FT 69.4%/61.8%

DeAndre Hunter
3pt 43.8%/41.9%
FT 78.3%/77.3%

:lol: Ummmmm..........3's ........um....he don't shoot um.............dunks don't count..........um.......... me make good argument.

Dude come on. Every year I have this draft argument with 20 people. If you want a big that shoots 3's just say so. Don't say you don't want a guy like Clarke who can't shoot because he shoots overall way better than the guy you want. They let you dunk in the NBA too. You want a guy who can block shots, defend bigs, defensive rebound...........and hit 3's. Good luck with that. There isn't one. I'll take the guy that can do the things that are our biggest weakness.
Ah, I gotcha now. You were fabricating an argument that doesn't exist, fighting against a point that I never even hinted at. Strange, but no worries. Carry on.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'll be very excited if we land clarke. i do think his style of play will help the wolves in many ways. but i do have some uneasy feelings about it as well.

he plays really big - but there's no denying that he's quite undersized for being a PF, let alone spending any time at the 5. this is something easier to overcome in college - maybe not so much in the nba. think of it. he goes 6-8 215. that's how big cam reynolds is - except cam is 10 pounds heavier. so picture if you will, cam at the 4 and that's a bit beefier version of what we'll see with clarke.

clarke makes up for it with incredible energy and bounciness and elevation, quickness and a high bbiq. but his wingspan is nothing to write home about - just 6-10. what happens to clarke if he loses a step or a couple inches elevation with an injury? what if he loses those things by beefing up a bit to handle the physicality of the nba? if clarke isn't incredibly quick or bouncy, or doesn't have incredible elevation - what kind of player would you be left with?

so... i definitely think he's worth the risk because of his X factors - just feel some red flags rising. which is maybe my way of saying i might be happier if coby white or darius garland drops to us in the first and we pick up a PF in the second like konate or claxton or roby.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:08 am
LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 pm
:lol: That's so cute. I love when people think we might buy a pick every year. Not sure what part of 30 sold picks an none bought makes you think that but thanks for the laugh. And the subsequent anger.
You do realise this is the Wolves, we always live with the dream, but come up trumps.
you use the word trump like it's a bad thing. :clap:

new mocks out from SB Nation and Bleacher Report. SB Nation has us taking Brandon Clarke at 10 and Bleacher Report has Coby White falling to us at 10. all fine and dandy, except BR doesn't even list Clarke as a first rounder. wha?
:lol: I didn't even realise I had inverted it's meaning!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

anybody have espn's latest 2 round mock they could post? i'm cheap.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 pm anybody have espn's latest 2 round mock they could post? i'm cheap.
Like to see but really won't get any decent mock until after the lotto. Top 3 is pretty easy but so many different teams could win those no way to know anything from 4 on down.

Just give me 4 and Garland and I'm cool.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm thinking more about what's shaking out in round 2. and that, i know, is really hard to figure with the opt out option now available - but hell, just curious.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

If Coby White is truly a point....and I saw no reason not to think he can be....NC was solid in both half court and running last year with exceptional passing and shot selection, i would be overjoyed to bring him in.

I did only see one Vandy game before Garland broke down, but no reason to think he can't come back as good as new....and seems new is pretty damn good.

I really hope it is Morant as the only PG...with a run on 3's/4's....allowing for the Wolves to get on of the fine young men above as a lottery steal.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Stork311 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:04 am If Coby White is truly a point....and I saw no reason not to think he can be....NC was solid in both half court and running last year with exceptional passing and shot selection, i would be overjoyed to bring him in.

I did only see one Vandy game before Garland broke down, but no reason to think he can't come back as good as new....and seems new is pretty damn good.

I really hope it is Morant as the only PG...with a run on 3's/4's....allowing for the Wolves to get on of the fine young men above as a lottery steal.
I like this.

Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Knowing that Morant has zero shot at being a Wolf... Darius Garland is my top choice because the dude can straight out fill it up... has great handle and range. Yes he is small and defense won't be a strong suit for him but with RoCo and Okogie we have plenty of help.

Brandon Clarke is like a better version of Jordan Bell because he has a quality handle for a big and can rebound, take the ball up the court and push the tempo. If we don't land Garland Clarke is my next choice even with his limited offensive game.

His high BBIQ and instincts are almost as good as his athletic ability. Wes Johnson had the athletic ablity but lacked both drive, instinct, and BBIQ was pretty average. Clarke can recognize and switch on defense effortlessly and think he could be a great guy to pair with Towns.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he's super alert out there too. teammate makes him a quick unexpected pass and not a great one at that, and clarke will corral it and do something positive with it. just a very aware player who capitalizes on what's there.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Will Garland struggle being small more, or will Zion struggle being large more?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:04 am If Coby White is truly a point....and I saw no reason not to think he can be....NC was solid in both half court and running last year with exceptional passing and shot selection, i would be overjoyed to bring him in.

Garland is 100% modern PG. Crazy range and handle. Can play in any offense. That's not White. Super fast on the break and straight line to the rim but won't be a top P@R guy. More of a bring it up in the half court, pass and spot up. He's streaky from 3 but he also took a lot of NBA length and beyond 3's. I want Garland over him 100% but with Towns on the block White is an excellent fit too. He's just not the all around PG that Garland is.

Don't see any way we get Garland without a move to the top 3.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:10 pm Will Garland struggle being small more, or will Zion struggle being large more?
Garland is not small. He may look Brewer slight but he's not short or weak. He lives in traffic and has a wicked quick pull up.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Joboo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:36 pm Knowing that Morant has zero shot at being a Wolf... Darius Garland is my top choice because the dude can straight out fill it up... has great handle and range. Yes he is small and defense won't be a strong suit for him but with RoCo and Okogie we have plenty of help.

Brandon Clarke is like a better version of Jordan Bell because he has a quality handle for a big and can rebound, take the ball up the court and push the tempo. If we don't land Garland Clarke is my next choice even with his limited offensive game.

His high BBIQ and instincts are almost as good as his athletic ability. Wes Johnson had the athletic ablity but lacked both drive, instinct, and BBIQ was pretty average. Clarke can recognize and switch on defense effortlessly and think he could be a great guy to pair with Towns.
Better version of Bell. I like that. Lot smarter too.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I hope all lottery picks are better than the bust named Bell.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

When people started to hype Clarke I rolled my eyes and was like whatev... then watched like 10 of his games and understood why people liked him so. I too wish he had more of an offensive game other than straight up bully post ball ala Kris Humphries style but man I love all other aspects of his game.

I wish we would some how be able to trade and get both Garland and Clarke.

PG Garland
SG Okogie
SF RoCo
PF Clarke
C Towns

Let Garland/Towns carry the scoring load and the other 3 compliment with incredible defense
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:28 pm
irishman89 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:10 pm Will Garland struggle being small more, or will Zion struggle being large more?
Garland is not small. He may look Brewer slight but he's not short or weak. He lives in traffic and has a wicked quick pull up.
I guess I thought of him as a shorter Lou Williams, but he's actually a taller Lou Williams haha. For some reason I thought he was under 6 feet.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:47 pm I hope all lottery picks are better than the bust named Bell.
Is it really fair to call him a bust when he is on a multi time World Championship club?

Bell has legit ability it just he is too one dimensional... his offensive game is even more limited and he doesn't have the ability to push tempo and distribute like Clarke.

Defensively both are really good but I think Clarke more cerebral and better at switches.