Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official POBO Search Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
thinktank

Re: *** Official POBO Search Thread ***

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 pm I like what Winger has done in LA. 48 win play off team with insane cap room and solid additional assets made in transactions. He appears to be the type of POBO that will squeeze every bit of value into the team. If he was our GM this year, we would have accumulated a ton of assets at the trade deadline dumping players that weren't going to make us a playoff team and change our outcome, but bring the team asset value in the future.
While Winger certainly deserves praise we also need to take into account that everything that Jerry West touches turns into gold.
Memphis became respectable but they didn't do too much while he was there. I think his influence on the Clippers is probably a little overblown. I heard his name come up on a recent podcast I was listening to, can't remember which one now but I think it was with Chris Mannix and he said the Lakers should try to get West to take over but holy shit, he's almost 81.. he's not doing a day to day gig anymore.
Yet he’s the best Pres/GM in the league at age 80.

Really, how hard is it to be a GM? It’s all video and analytics with some people skills thrown in.

I think any team would be lucky to get West.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 pm I like what Winger has done in LA. 48 win play off team with insane cap room and solid additional assets made in transactions. He appears to be the type of POBO that will squeeze every bit of value into the team. If he was our GM this year, we would have accumulated a ton of assets at the trade deadline dumping players that weren't going to make us a playoff team and change our outcome, but bring the team asset value in the future.
While Winger certainly deserves praise we also need to take into account that everything that Jerry West touches turns into gold.
Memphis became respectable but they didn't do too much while he was there. I think his influence on the Clippers is probably a little overblown. I heard his name come up on a recent podcast I was listening to, can't remember which one now but I think it was with Chris Mannix and he said the Lakers should try to get West to take over but holy shit, he's almost 81.. he's not doing a day to day gig anymore.
Ya, it's hard to attribute who gets credit for what. Regardless though Winger seems pretty decent. I've mentioned it a few times that I'd rather not have some retread come in here with a resume that has been known to suck but some of the recent rumors seem great. I'd be happy with Winger.

I'm just so jealous of West considering how he seemingly can turn any situation around. Imagine how the Lakers feel by choosing Magic over West. :lol: :lol:
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

thinktank wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 am

Really, how hard is it to be a GM? It’s all video and analytics with some people skills thrown in.

If it was easy to be a GM then pretty much every team in the league would constantly improve year after year.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Extremely lucky, and isn't it a slap in the face to the Lakers that he's back in LA, working for the Clippers? He's obviously not a decision maker anymore but his voice matters. He was the one in Golden State saying don't trade Klay for Love, right?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 am

Extremely lucky, and isn't it a slap in the face to the Lakers that he's back in LA, working for the Clippers? He's obviously not a decision maker anymore but his voice matters. He was the one in Golden State saying don't trade Klay for Love, right?
He threatened to quit if they traded Klay for Love.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

:drinky: prime Curry and Love pick and pop? Yikes
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 am

If it was easy to be a GM then pretty much every team in the league would constantly improve year after year.
Dude that answer is the equivalent of your avatar.

Blackjack is easy. So everyone wins always. Brilliant.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:24 pm

TT was the one saying it was easy, I was saying it isn't easy.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Southpaw23 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 pm :drinky: prime Curry and Love pick and pop? Yikes
You’d rather have Kevin Love than Klay Thompson with Curry and Draymond? I wouldn’t. Thompson’s defensive versatility is a big reason GS has had great defenses going back 5 years.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 pm
Southpaw23 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 pm :drinky: prime Curry and Love pick and pop? Yikes
You’d rather have Kevin Love than Klay Thompson with Curry and Draymond? I wouldn’t. Thompson’s defensive versatility is a big reason GS has had great defenses going back 5 years.
They would already have another ring if Curry didn't have to face K-Love's shutdown D. FACT!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:07 pm

I know. What about it being easy (which it is) makes everyone equally as good at it? Checkers is easy. Is anyone ever able to win since it is so easy?

Why would every team get better if it's easy?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:07 pm

I know. What about it being easy (which it is) makes everyone equally as good at it? Checkers is easy. Is anyone ever able to win since it is so easy?

Why would every team get better if it's easy?
Because every GM wouldn't be making so many mistakes if it was easy. When the vast majority of people in an occupation fail then that job isn't easy.

You say things like checkers and blackjack are easy and well that's just looking at the surface level. There's so much complexity and strategy that calling it easy is disingenuous. Same thing with black jack. Being able to bluff and read when someone is bluffing isn't easy. Go ask professional poker players how easy it is. It'd be similar to calling basketball an easy game since all you have to do is throw a ball through a hoop.

David Kahn is proof that bring a GM isn't as easy as you claim.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Easy as in not a physically demanding job.

Cmon, flex.

It still takes talent.

That should be obvious.

:roll:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 pm Easy as in not a physically demanding job.

Cmon, flex.

It still takes talent.

That should be obvious.

:roll:
And yet..........?
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

BR reporting wolves going to interview billups.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Seenin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 pm BR reporting wolves going to interview billups.

I personally don't understand the fascination with Billups. I hope he does a great job, but a lot of people around here and other places just assume he's going walk in and everything will work out great. I'm not sure what people are basing that on, seeing as he's never held a front office job before.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Yeah I’m not a fan of Billups taking over.

He’s done absolutely nothing.

I hope this interview is a favor.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Gersson Rosas is my choice. But I like Michael Winger too. Not really excited about Billups.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

So, no Mike Zarren?
My heart is family.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Dan33185 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:32 pm
Seenin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 pm BR reporting wolves going to interview billups.

I personally don't understand the fascination with Billups. I hope he does a great job, but a lot of people around here and other places just assume he's going walk in and everything will work out great. I'm not sure what people are basing that on, seeing as he's never held a front office job before.
Im with you on this one. I'd be ok if he were an assistant or something, but not the head guy.
I think I prefer some experience with this position.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

witljon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 pm
Dan33185 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Im with you on this one. I'd be ok if he were an assistant or something, but not the head guy.
I think I prefer some experience with this position.
POBO around the league and here is not generally a feet on the ground GM job. There is usually a GM under them. It's usually more of an overall vision kind of job. Not sure why you'd need any more experience than being around the league a ton to be good. Billups seems super smart on TV.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

billups would be alright hoopswise - only thing i'd be worried about is didn't he settle out of court on a sort of gang rape charge - one that included injuries? first off, i hate shit like that - so if true, he's a dick. and secondly, if true - how long before someone comes forward with another story, blah blah, billups steps down and we start the search over again? sometimes it's just easier to pick door number two.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrill, I don’t think Billups seems super smart on TV. I’ve noticed he comes up with some real out of left-field ideas that I don’t dig at all. Comparing Porter Jr to Durant, etc. I’m just not impressed with his takes on any level. I think he carries himself well and that’s more of what people see than his actual takes themselves.

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball ... ons/450741
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:26 pm Thrill, I don’t think Billups seems super smart on TV. I’ve noticed he comes up with some real out of left-field ideas that I don’t dig at all. Comparing Porter Jr to Durant, etc. I’m just not impressed with his takes on any level. I think he carries himself well and that’s more of what people see than his actual takes themselves.

Why can't you compare Porter Jr to Durant?
witljon

Post by witljon »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 pm
t_wrex wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:12 pm Winger seems to enjoy trading the teams best player at the deadline.

Not sure about this one
Clippers broke up a core of Paul, Blake and Jordan and already are back in the play offs with a much brighter future
But what are the chances the Clippers would be a much higher seed if he didn't make those trades?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:20 pm
thinktank wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:26 pm Thrill, I don’t think Billups seems super smart on TV. I’ve noticed he comes up with some real out of left-field ideas that I don’t dig at all. Comparing Porter Jr to Durant, etc. I’m just not impressed with his takes on any level. I think he carries himself well and that’s more of what people see than his actual takes themselves.

Well you can if you’re a fuckin idiot.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm

:lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:10 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 pm
They would already have another ring if Curry didn't have to face K-Love's shutdown D. FACT!
Most underrated play in NBA finals history!!!
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm

You could be a myopic fucking half wit and not understand that you can compare anyone to anyone. That you are too dim to understand that comparing NBA small forwards to each other is not somehow out of the question makes me want to compare your schooling to a chimp learning to pick nits.

Do they even teach you little shits in school anymore?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

What the fuck are you talking about thinkkill? None of that incoherent nonsense you wrote meant anything.
Last edited by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.