Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official POBO Search Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Re: *** Official POBO Search Thread ***

Post by flexbuffchest »

Catalyst wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 am Brent Barry latest rumor as a candidate for POBO. He is currently VPOBO for San Antonio. Have no idea how that might impact on Layden.
At this point I'm fine with trying anything new. I'd rather not go with some retread POBO/GM (this is all assuming that the jobs they've had in the past were flops). I'm slowly moving towards the opinion that the only way this franchise can make a giant leap is by trying something new.

Get a former player or someone highly respected and give them a chance.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:08 am
Catalyst wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 am Brent Barry latest rumor as a candidate for POBO. He is currently VPOBO for San Antonio. Have no idea how that might impact on Layden.
At this point I'm fine with trying anything new. I'd rather not go with some retread POBO/GM (this is all assuming that the jobs they've had in the past were flops). I'm slowly moving towards the opinion that the only way this franchise can make a giant leap is by trying something new.

There is nothing new in basketball. Our problem is we have been 100% in to win exactly 1 year in our existence and we broke it up for money the next. The best GM in the game (Moray) was the most ridiculed when he started. Stat geek? How can he compete? Use assets well. That's the game. Former star or unknown stat geek. Use assets well.

It may not be easy bit the job is exceptionally simple. Have a plan, execute that plan, be able to adapt both to losses and unexpected additions. The unfortunate part of being us is you can't generally pull that off in less than 2 years and that is Taylor's commitment and attention span. The only "respect" the new hire needs is Taylor's for 1 day longer than his life. Then maybe we can actually complete a plan. But knowing Taylor he will hire someone who will want to start again from square 1 and by the time we finally get around to square 2 (winning) Taylor will be bored ( and.......ahmm.....poor) and we will be on to another sell off.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:05 pm

There is nothing new in basketball. Our problem is we have been 100% in to win exactly 1 year in our existence and we broke it up for money the next. The best GM in the game (Moray) was the most ridiculed when he started. Stat geek? How can he compete? Use assets well. That's the game. Former star or unknown stat geek. Use assets well.

It may not be easy bit the job is exceptionally simple. Have a plan, execute that plan, be able to adapt both to losses and unexpected additions. The unfortunate part of being us is you can't generally pull that off in less than 2 years and that is Taylor's commitment and attention span. The only "respect" the new hire needs is Taylor's for 1 day longer than his life. Then maybe we can actually complete a plan. But knowing Taylor he will hire someone who will want to start again from square 1 and by the time we finally get around to square 2 (winning) Taylor will be bored ( and.......ahmm.....poor) and we will be on to another sell off.
You kinda are arguing for the same thing I am. I don't want some retread who is going to do the same thing as they always have (assuming that whoever it is failed in the past). Taylor hasn't ever proven he can stay out of things so I think, while he continues to own the Wolves, that we need some massive luck and the only way to do that is by going with the unknown and hoping we strike gold. With some retread you essentially know what you are going to get.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:05 pm

You kinda are arguing for the same thing I am. I don't want some retread who is going to do the same thing as they always have (assuming that whoever it is failed in the past). Taylor hasn't ever proven he can stay out of things so I think, while he continues to own the Wolves, that we need some massive luck and the only way to do that is by going with the unknown and hoping we strike gold. With some retread you essentially know what you are going to get.
No, what I'm saying is retread, new blood, absolutely no difference. Smart enough to use assets well and have enough of Taylor's trust to get him to let you. There is exactly one overlying theme to our FO. One thing they all have exactly in common from noobs to grizzled league lifers. None has ever been able to talk Taylor into using all of our assets. None has come close. The smartest one with that was Thibs. 1 year in and he knew it was time to go all in. Still had Taylor's trust and knew he had essentially 1 year before it was gone. Didn't work because of the Towns/Butler dynamic but it was a chance he had to take and at least it got us one playoff appearance.

My advice to any future POBO. What you have right now is 3/4 of what you will ever have. Make use of it now. You try to take it to the studs and "build around" 3-4 guys and by the time you can field a legit 8 man rotation you will be an analyst for ESPN.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Taylor probably knows who he wants, but is waiting for their season to end because they're in the playoffs.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 am Taylor probably knows who he wants, but is waiting for their season to end because they're in the playoffs.
Taylor doesn't know what he wants (in regards to the Wolves) 5 minutes in advance.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

We can't afford any more turmoil and I'm sick of it. Get a solid coach who has proven to be at least an above average NBA coach and settle on a front office. Christ, can't be that difficult.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:59 pm We can't afford any more turmoil and I'm sick of it. Get a solid coach who has proven to be at least an above average NBA coach and settle on a front office. Christ, can't be that difficult.
Monty Williams sure would be nice as a coach. Front office.. Boston guy.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm
witljon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 am Taylor probably knows who he wants, but is waiting for their season to end because they're in the playoffs.
Taylor doesn't know what he wants (in regards to the Wolves) 5 minutes in advance.
Sure he does. And the answer is always cash.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I'd never heard of him actually, but he used to work with Presti in OKC.
He has developed a reputation as one of the league's most respected young executives.
This would be an un-Glen-esque move. Therefore I'm all in.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

Winger seems to enjoy trading the teams best player at the deadline.

Not sure about this one
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

t_wrex wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:12 pm Winger seems to enjoy trading the teams best player at the deadline.

Not sure about this one
Traded a UFA for how many picks again?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Winger? Seems like a typical low-life character to me.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm
t_wrex wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:12 pm Winger seems to enjoy trading the teams best player at the deadline.

Not sure about this one
Clearly the Clippers have done a great job with their rebuild.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Not sure about this one
Clippers broke up a core of Paul, Blake and Jordan and already are back in the play offs with a much brighter future

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

j2j

Post by j2j »

From the outside it almost looks like the Wolves are going to accidentally do something good here...

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Not sure about this one
Clippers broke up a core of Paul, Blake and Jordan and already are back in the play offs with a much brighter future
Ding ding ding.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Not sure about this one
Time to trade Kat?
:thinking:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

They also got permission to talk with Rockets VP Gersson Rosas. Don't know of either guy but Winger is getting a lot of twitter chatter.
My heart is family.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Not sure about this one
Exactly. And still made the playoffs.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Brooklyn Nets had the worst record in the league 2 years ago and no lottery picks upcoming. Last season 28 wins. This season 42 wins and playoffs.
j2j

Post by j2j »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:53 pm Brooklyn Nets had the worst record in the league 2 years ago and no lottery picks upcoming. Last season 28 wins. This season 42 wins and playoffs.
It's amazing what can happen when you find a decent coach who embraces how the game should be played and you hit on a couple castoffs and 2nd round picks.

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

j2j wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 pm
kilkenny wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:53 pm Brooklyn Nets had the worst record in the league 2 years ago and no lottery picks upcoming. Last season 28 wins. This season 42 wins and playoffs.
It's amazing what can happen when you find a decent coach who embraces how the game should be played and you hit on a couple castoffs and 2nd round picks.
Game style is so huge. That’s what was slightly disappointing about Ryan Saunders this season. He took over for Thibs and one of the 1st things he said was they were going to play a little bit faster and definitely shoot more 3s. Well the shooting more 3s part certainly didn’t happen, and for me that was frustrating.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I like what Winger has done in LA. 48 win play off team with insane cap room and solid additional assets made in transactions. He appears to be the type of POBO that will squeeze every bit of value into the team. If he was our GM this year, we would have accumulated a ton of assets at the trade deadline dumping players that weren't going to make us a playoff team and change our outcome, but bring the team asset value in the future.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Sure he does. And the answer is always cash.
My point is Taylor has had 3 months to ponder Thibodeau's replacement.
I doubt he forgot all about it and just now started considering candidates.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 pm I like what Winger has done in LA. 48 win play off team with insane cap room and solid additional assets made in transactions. He appears to be the type of POBO that will squeeze every bit of value into the team. If he was our GM this year, we would have accumulated a ton of assets at the trade deadline dumping players that weren't going to make us a playoff team and change our outcome, but bring the team asset value in the future.
While Winger certainly deserves praise we also need to take into account that everything that Jerry West touches turns into gold.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

T_J

Post by T_J »

j2j wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:26 pm From the outside it almost looks like the Wolves are going to accidentally do something good here...
Hey, don't fucking jynx it.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 pm I like what Winger has done in LA. 48 win play off team with insane cap room and solid additional assets made in transactions. He appears to be the type of POBO that will squeeze every bit of value into the team. If he was our GM this year, we would have accumulated a ton of assets at the trade deadline dumping players that weren't going to make us a playoff team and change our outcome, but bring the team asset value in the future.
While Winger certainly deserves praise we also need to take into account that everything that Jerry West touches turns into gold.
Memphis became respectable but they didn't do too much while he was there. I think his influence on the Clippers is probably a little overblown. I heard his name come up on a recent podcast I was listening to, can't remember which one now but I think it was with Chris Mannix and he said the Lakers should try to get West to take over but holy shit, he's almost 81.. he's not doing a day to day gig anymore.