Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Thrillkill

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:08 am well, i've said it before - but if we need to add another big man to develop, and one option means picking a guy who you'd have to use a lottery pick on (bol), and that player is rehabbing a foot fracture - and the other option means simply resigning a FA you drafted in the first round two years ago (patton), who has also been rehabbing a foot fracture - i'd choose column B.

unless mgmt knows that patton's feet are complete toast - or that he's a blithering idiot asshole with a pisspoor work ethic - calling patton to see if he's interested in coming back is IMO such an easier low impact risk. you're not possibly throwing away a lottery pick. and yes, i know that they are two completely different players with different strengths and weaknesses - but bol certainly isn't a complete player or a sure thing, and patton isn't just a big stiff - he's a skilled player as well.
Obviously with you on Patton but now am feeling much more comfortable with the 2nd round bigs. Especially with Konate officially declaring. Actually it seems like a nice set up for us no matter what happens. We get PG in the 1st and it's a huge win. Plus those good 2nd round bigs? We can't get PG and we get our choice of bigs and one of the upside PG's who need some time or one of the 2 little gunners. Or what might be plan A for me. PG's are gone like I figure and we trade back with a team that wants the last of the top wings. Then we get our big a little lower and can still get a PG as well as the highest upside swing you can take.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it is playing out alright. i'm with you. still wouldn't hurt to add patton, i don't think. unless - like i said, in his first tenure here he sprouted a gazillion red flags not connected to his injury. but we know KAT and dieng are solid at the 5, with dieng able to play some 4. why not have a third low cost center to develop who doesn't need to produce right away? if he starts to show great things, well, gorgui is going to become a valuable trade chip sometime soon as his contract starts to look more attractive. and then we've got a guy to slide right into that spot who knows our club and system. a healthy justin patton could be a really nice player.

and patton and a big we'd draft this season aren't necessarily redundant. patton and clarke (or other PFs we'd draft) could play side by side, C and PF. i like how it's shaking out. btw, if we get our PG in the first - what do you think about nic claxton as a 2nd round possibility?

i'm also easing off my bandwagon of trading back for multiple picks. we've hit nicely on a few young players in the last year - i see futures with the team for okogie, KBD AND reynolds. adding two more draftees to that (plus my patton wish) would give us a nice crew of young guys - and probably we don't need more than that. that would be six - and cool to see after we shed a lot of that youth (lavine, dunn, patton) just a couple years ago.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:41 pm
thinktank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Yes!:

Bol Bol at 10 would be a ridiculous reach. It won’t happen. PST-worthy statement on your part.
You don't watch college basketball or pay any attention to nationally rated high school hoops, do you?
Sure do.
I don't believe you.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

If he's healthy for workouts, my guess is he'll shoot up. He was a top 5 pick if he played all season.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:51 am it is playing out alright. i'm with you. still wouldn't hurt to add patton, i don't think. unless - like i said, in his first tenure here he sprouted a gazillion red flags not connected to his injury. but we know KAT and dieng are solid at the 5, with dieng able to play some 4. why not have a third low cost center to develop who doesn't need to produce right away? if he starts to show great things, well, gorgui is going to become a valuable trade chip sometime soon as his contract starts to look more attractive. and then we've got a guy to slide right into that spot who knows our club and system. a healthy justin patton could be a really nice player.

and patton and a big we'd draft this season aren't necessarily redundant. patton and clarke (or other PFs we'd draft) could play side by side, C and PF. i like how it's shaking out. btw, if we get our PG in the first - what do you think about nic claxton as a 2nd round possibility?

i'm also easing off my bandwagon of trading back for multiple picks. we've hit nicely on a few young players in the last year - i see futures with the team for okogie, KBD AND reynolds. adding two more draftees to that (plus my patton wish) would give us a nice crew of young guys - and probably we don't need more than that. that would be six - and cool to see after we shed a lot of that youth (lavine, dunn, patton) just a couple years ago.
Patton is a solid athlete with crazy length and good instincts. He can play with both Dieng and Kat if healthy. But obviously you can't count on him for one minute until you see it. But even signing him before the draft would not keep me from taking Clarke or from trying to load up on bigs in the 2nd and hopefully (unlikely) with an extra pick. With Teague coming back we don't have to force a PG pick. We have a season to get an MLE guy, try out some street FA's Or find a rebuild team with a good, signed long term PG that a team wants to move on from and trade them Teague's expiring.

As it is it looks like we have a lot of options at both picks that will fit well. Please god let Taylor finish his fake search and just stay with who we have.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

are you sure beverley wouldn't want to switch teams if he got some more money, was told he was still a starter and had guys like roco, okogie and maybe clarke to play D with?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

latest aggregate rankings that combines the mocks from nbadraft, espn, SI, the athletic, bleacher report and sporting news was just released, and while this exercise doesn't necessarily take in team need, it's still interesting where some of the players we've been talking about for us are landing:

PG darius garland (7), PG/SG coby white (8) and C/PF jaxson hayes (9) all gone right before our pick. they have SG romeo langford at 10. don't think so! PF/SF sekou doumbouya (12) - PF/SF rui hachimura (13) - PF p.j. washington (14 - he's really popped up the boards) - PF brandon clarke (16) and SG/PG nickeil alexander- walker (18)

in the second round, players ranked near or around our 43rd pick include: PF naz reid (36), PF mifiondu kabengele (37), C/PF jontay porter (38), SF chuma okeke (39), PF luke samanic (40), C charles bassey (41), SF louis king (42), SF jordan nwora (43), SF isaiah roby (44), PG ayo dosunmu (45), PF nic claxton (50), PG cassius winston (77) and one of my favorites as a second rounder, C/PF sagaba konate, not even making the list of 81. marquette's scoring beast PG markus howard also wasn't listed.

i'll be great if we nab brandon clarke in the first and ayo dosunmu in the second. if you're unfamiliar with the latter, he's a freshmen PG/SG from U of Illinois - 6-5 but ultra-speedy. been compared in some ways to the spurs dejounte murray - but will take some time to adjust to the nba game. i'm envisioning clarke, okogie and dosunmu all getting out on the break - whoa, that would be a blur.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

I'm really hoping Garland or White drops to us at 10, if not I'm fine with Clarke. I wonder if we end up jumping into the 3rd pick if Atlanta would be willing to trade the 6th and 7th pick so they can take Barrett or Morant. I would than take either Garland or White and maybe try to trade down a few spots to and take Clarke in that scenario.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Who thinks we buy/trade for another first round pick? Boston has 3 this draft.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:33 am Who thinks we buy/trade for another first round pick? Boston has 3 this draft.
Glen Taylor isn’t buying draft picks. Selling them on the other hand....
j2j

Post by j2j »

I think we'll stand pat.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:58 am I think we'll stand pat.
me too.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Dan33185 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:41 am Zion has officially declared

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -year-life
If he slips to us, i think we have to nab him. Just me I guess.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Stork311 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am

I have a hard time seeing him getting past #9. :thinking: We're always 1 pick away from the next superstar; Cousins, Curry, Embiid, Shaq... Missed em all by 1 pick.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:12 am

I have a hard time seeing him getting past #9. :thinking: We're always 1 pick away from the next superstar; Cousins, Curry, Embiid, Shaq... Missed em all by 1 pick.
:lol: 1 or 2 picks... before or after.... what was Klay and PG13 again?
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Didn't we have not 1, but 2 picks ahead of Curry? That is when I became a real casual fan. I suffered through Felton and Luc and all those turds. How could they do me like that.
-

Got Root?
j2j

Post by j2j »

:lol: I'm just fishing.

j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am

We took Wes "Banana Bread" Johnson 6 picks ahead of Paul George, who I really wanted. Pissed me right off!

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:15 am
LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:33 am Who thinks we buy/trade for another first round pick? Boston has 3 this draft.
Boston probably uses one of them to get rid of Gordon H.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

:lol: That's so cute. I love when people think we might buy a pick every year. Not sure what part of 30 sold picks an none bought makes you think that but thanks for the laugh. And the subsequent anger.
j2j

Post by j2j »

irishman89 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:07 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:15 am
Boston probably uses one of them to get rid of Gordon H.
0.0% chance that happens. Brad Stevens ain't gonna let them ditch his boy.

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Hopefully he learns from other coaches that don't want to let go of their boys haha. Or, coach...
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 am

We took Wes "Banana Bread" Johnson 6 picks ahead of Paul George, who I really wanted. Pissed me right off!
Rumor was 10 for Flynn was on the table, that is really what should have pissed you off. I remember being so pissed that draft, waiting for us to make the trade and draft George, but nope. The only draft I had to turn off.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 pm
j2j wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 am
Rumor was 10 for Flynn was on the table, that is really what should have pissed you off. I remember being so pissed that draft, waiting for us to make the trade and draft George, but nope. The only draft I had to turn off.
I know. And it did. I'm not one to generally cry about missed opportunities from nearly 10 years ago. Nothing we can do about it now.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 pm
:lol: That's so cute. I love when people think we might buy a pick every year. Not sure what part of 30 sold picks an none bought makes you think that but thanks for the laugh. And the subsequent anger.
You do realise this is the Wolves, we always live with the dream, but come up trumps.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 pm
You do realise this is the Wolves, we always live with the dream, but come up trumps.
you use the word trump like it's a bad thing. :clap:

new mocks out from SB Nation and Bleacher Report. SB Nation has us taking Brandon Clarke at 10 and Bleacher Report has Coby White falling to us at 10. all fine and dandy, except BR doesn't even list Clarke as a first rounder. wha?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Brandon Clarke? An old, scrawny. 6'8" Canadian with a broken shot, and went to multiple schools, but can dunk and has a nice smile. It's like Wes Johnson and Andrew Wiggins had a baby!

Sign me up!

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 am Brandon Clarke? An old, scrawny. 6'8" Canadian with a broken shot, and went to multiple schools, but can dunk and has a nice smile. It's like Wes Johnson and Andrew Wiggins had a baby!

Sign me up!
I'll sign you up for cable TV so you can watch a game and form an "informed" opinion.