Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Air Freshener chat***

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
Cobey
Trouble

***Air Freshener chat***

Post by Cobey »

What's your air freshener of choice?

In a pinch, I'll go with the tree things, but I personally prefer the clip behind the mirror style over the hanging. Duo is probably one of the better brands that I have found widely available.

The Ozone spray you see at gas stations works pretty well for aggressive or nagging smells, particularly smoke smell.
Cobey
Trouble

Re: ***Air Freshener chat***

Post by Cobey »

https://gentscents.com/

Came across this recently, seems like an interesting idea. I'm thinking that I'm going to get one and I'll report back.
Gork

Post by Gork »

If you want to play a good joke, buy a Little Trees freshener in either green or black. Wait for a hot day, peel off the entire wrapper at once and hide it in your buddies car with the windows up all day. Sit back and watch the hi-jinx when he opens the door!
There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but Calebs' stupidity will remain!

TRUMPHUMPERS :humper: ™ ARE TRAITORS!

Proud member of the RFP!

Never trust a former president who wears Jim Bakker’s haircut and Tammy Faye’s makeup.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

I have a bottle of New Car Smell spray, in my council.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Gork wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 pm If you want to play a good joke, buy a Little Trees freshener in either green or black. Wait for a hot day, peel off the entire wrapper at once and hide it in your buddies car with the windows up all day. Sit back and watch the hi-jinx when he opens the door!
The green one is disgusting and smells like a urinal cake.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 pm Mice got into Lola before I got her which is a big part of the reason she was so cheap. I bought a couple stink bombs from O'Reilly's which helped a lot. One was from turtlewax and I can't remember the other but I remember the package looking kinda like the packaging that that headlight oxidization remover stuff came in. :shrug:. Now I just use a little sprits of ozium or whatever it's called every now and then. I had a black ice stink clip for the air vent but that got to be a little much too.

Anyway, the car barely smells now which is a miracle, and it only smells for a little bit until the defrost has vented out the stink in the morning when it's above 0 degrees. I should note that every inch of that interior has been shampooed multiple times as well and the liner from the trunk was just tossed out. Fucking mice are relentless when they get into cars, man...

I'm going to bomb it again this spring and shampoo again with the stinkiest shampoo I can find.

Sidenote, I had an exhaust be issue when I bought the car, and for the first month it was leaking exhaust into the cab when it warmed up. Just a little, but it was bad none the less. Anyway, that exhaust stink took the mouse stink away better than anything else.
Steam rather than shampoo if you want to get rid of it. Shampoo will just mask the scent for a while, at best.

They also make stuff that you can spray into the vents to clean it. Look up Evaporator Core or AC duct cleaners for cars. They make products that you can just spray directly into the vents, so no tools are required and it would take pretty minimal effort.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:32 am
Cobey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 am
Abe Froman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 pm Mice got into Lola before I got her which is a big part of the reason she was so cheap. I bought a couple stink bombs from O'Reilly's which helped a lot. One was from turtlewax and I can't remember the other but I remember the package looking kinda like the packaging that that headlight oxidization remover stuff came in. :shrug:. Now I just use a little sprits of ozium or whatever it's called every now and then. I had a black ice stink clip for the air vent but that got to be a little much too.

Anyway, the car barely smells now which is a miracle, and it only smells for a little bit until the defrost has vented out the stink in the morning when it's above 0 degrees. I should note that every inch of that interior has been shampooed multiple times as well and the liner from the trunk was just tossed out. Fucking mice are relentless when they get into cars, man...

I'm going to bomb it again this spring and shampoo again with the stinkiest shampoo I can find.

Sidenote, I had an exhaust be issue when I bought the car, and for the first month it was leaking exhaust into the cab when it warmed up. Just a little, but it was bad none the less. Anyway, that exhaust stink took the mouse stink away better than anything else.
Steam rather than shampoo if you want to get rid of it. Shampoo will just mask the scent for a while, at best.

They also make stuff that you can spray into the vents to clean it. Look up Evaporator Core or AC duct cleaners for cars. They make products that you can just spray directly into the vents, so no tools are required and it would take pretty minimal effort.
Idk, I think it's kind of nice. Like a theft deterrent deice. "Oh no, Sam. We can't steal this car. It smells like asses." See? I don't even have to lock the doors!
Word.

I'm thinking of steam cleaning my interior this spring, or maybe paying to get them steam cleaned. I don't know which option will be more cost efficient at this point yet.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Cobey wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 am https://gentscents.com/

Came across this recently, seems like an interesting idea. I'm thinking that I'm going to get one and I'll report back.
I believe that I placed an order for the "Musk" scent 2 or 3 days after this, it just arrived yesterday. $7.99, free shipping/shipping included in price

Unfortunately, it seems the only option is to sign up for either a monthly or weekly subscription. It doesn't seem like you can go with just a single purchase, but whatever. I'll probably either just cancel or cancel and sign up for a different scent before last month.

Your first order comes with a clip that goes over your sun visor. The clip is surprisingly high quality and some kind of magnetic metal. The credit card sized square of wood with the scent infused into it attaches to this clip via magnet and sits on the visor. I threw it in the car yesterday evening and when I got back into the car this morning, I didn't get that usual "wall of scent" that is common for air fresheners, which is kind of nice. If you have a heavy scent that you are trying to mask over, this may not be for you as it isn't really that powerful.

The Musk scent smells like a nice, masculine/executive cologne. Not a fruity/summer cologne, but a heavier/winter cologne. Think of a mellower version of the Black Ice Little Tree flavor, but with sort of a woody and leather scent mixed in.

Overall, I dig it a lot, aesthetically over a shitty piece of cardboard dangling from the mirror or the gear shifter.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

What would you describe mice stink as similar to?
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 pm

What would you describe mice stink as similar to?
Dead and decomposing mouse smells pretty similar to any other dead and decomposing animal. I've popped open a few walls in my day that had piles of mouse carcasses stacked between the studs that got up to my knees. It's pretty aggressive, but it's kind of difficult to describe the smell. It's just decomposing animal.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Cobey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 am
Cobey wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 am https://gentscents.com/

I believe that I placed an order for the "Musk" scent 2 or 3 days after this, it just arrived yesterday. $7.99, free shipping/shipping included in price

Unfortunately, it seems the only option is to sign up for either a monthly or weekly subscription. It doesn't seem like you can go with just a single purchase, but whatever. I'll probably either just cancel or cancel and sign up for a different scent before last month.

Your first order comes with a clip that goes over your sun visor. The clip is surprisingly high quality and some kind of magnetic metal. The credit card sized square of wood with the scent infused into it attaches to this clip via magnet and sits on the visor. I threw it in the car yesterday evening and when I got back into the car this morning, I didn't get that usual "wall of scent" that is common for air fresheners, which is kind of nice. If you have a heavy scent that you are trying to mask over, this may not be for you as it isn't really that powerful.

The Musk scent smells like a nice, masculine/executive cologne. Not a fruity/summer cologne, but a heavier/winter cologne. Think of a mellower version of the Black Ice Little Tree flavor, but with sort of a woody and leather scent mixed in.

Overall, I dig it a lot, aesthetically over a shitty piece of cardboard dangling from the mirror or the gear shifter.
This month, I went with Sandalwood. Will report back when received, likely around mid-month.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

So I stopped the gentscent thing after trying the pine tree flavor.

The pine scent was more realistic than the tree and was incredibly strong. It was so strong that it got me sneezing and my throat started to close. I tossed it out after about a day.
Lesueurcountyguy

Post by Lesueurcountyguy »

None. I’m a firm believer in taking care of your vehicles interior so you do not have to cover up an odor. What kind of shit boxes are you guys driving? That being said when I clean the leather in our vehicles the smell of the Maguires conditioner is pleasant.
I like a tight beat
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Lesueurcountyguy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:23 pm None. I’m a firm believer in taking care of your vehicles interior so you do not have to cover up an odor. What kind of shit boxes are you guys driving? That being said when I clean the leather in our vehicles the smell of the Maguires conditioner is pleasant.
Sometimes, I need to rip a healthy fart in the car though
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

I drive a convertible. I just put the top down and drive around a couple of miles. Instant fresh air.
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC