Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Western Conference Playoff Chase Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Will the Wolves Make the Playoffs

Yes, we are getting healthy and we believe
32%
No, we are too inconsistent
68%

Total votes: 38

UnFadeable21

*** Western Conference Playoff Chase Thread ***

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sacramento loss. Dallas loss, Portland playing a tough GS Warriors tonight, should lose too. Wolves beat Houston. We made ground on 4 teams in the West tonight before the break.

We are currently 27-30. 25 games to go and we are -3.5 out of the 8th seed.

Tyus is a for sure coming back after the All Star break. RoCo is optimistic coming back after the break.

Next 5 games are Knicks, Bucks, Kings, Hawks, Pacers.

Go 4-1 or even 5-0!!!
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: *** Western Conference Playoff Chase Thread ***

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 pm Sacramento loss. Dallas loss, Portland playing a tough GS Warriors tonight, should lose too. Wolves beat Houston. We made ground on 4 teams in the West tonight before the break.

Tyus is a for sure coming back after the All Star break. RoCo is optimistic coming back after the break.

Go 4-1 or even 5-0!!!
Not happening. Good enthusiasm though. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I don't see it.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Clippers, Lakers, Kings. And Mavericks ahead of us right? Yeah. I don't think it's in the cards.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

The March schedule is brutal. But I’m enjoying watching the team play well so I’ll keep cheering for Ws and not ping pong balls.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Portland beat the Warriors last night?!! What the heck. Kerr gets thrown out and they only score 12 pts in the 4th?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

YBBR wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:02 am Clippers, Lakers, Kings. And Mavericks ahead of us right? Yeah. I don't think it's in the cards.
We are ahead of Dallas now with last nights win.

Clippers will fall back to earth with trading away Tobias and Boban. Our real chase will be with Kings and Lakers.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

If Covington or Tyus are healthy they probably are in the playoffs right now.

I just don't see a path. The end of the year gets to tough
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

The question is how many losses is too many. We are 27-30. Lets be generous and assume with a healthy team we go 15-10. Is 42 wins enough to make the playoffs this year? The Spurs have 26 losses, the kings and clippers have 27, and the Lakers have 29. I think the biggest varaiable is how healthy each team can stay leading up to the plaoyffs. Take Aldrich off the Spurs, they don't make the playoffs. Harden, LeBron, Fox, etc... With Roco and Tyus we can compete. I think another factor is Ryan must have Wiggins coming of the bench. Okogie and Roco together would be a defensive force. Tyus, Rose, Wiggins, Deng and Taj is an effective small ball unit. Sub in Tolliver for Deng on nights where you need more 3 point shooting and you have a decent second unit. I think there is little chance the Wolves win more than 13 games, but if they can get to 15 or 16 they have a chance. I think they can beat the pacers and the rockets on the road, but I worry about teams like the Bucks and Nuggets.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 pm Sacramento loss. Dallas loss, Portland playing a tough GS Warriors tonight, should lose too. Wolves beat Houston. We made ground on 4 teams in the West tonight before the break.

Go 4-1 or even 5-0!!!
Not happening. Good enthusiasm though. :thumbsup:
Full health? Why not? Once we get Roco and Okogie on the court at the same time look out. Wouldn't bet on it but sure would be nice to see the toughness and professionalism it would take to make it close. Learn to win meaningful games.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 am If Covington or Tyus are healthy they probably are in the playoffs right now.

I just don't see a path. The end of the year gets to tough
Yeah, just checked it out. Sixers, Warriors twice. Will be definitely have to earn it.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

winforlose wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:41 pm The question is how many losses is too many. We are 27-30. Lets be generous and assume with a healthy team we go 15-10. Is 42 wins enough to make the playoffs this year? The Spurs have 26 losses, the kings and clippers have 27, and the Lakers have 29. I think the biggest varaiable is how healthy each team can stay leading up to the plaoyffs. Take Aldrich off the Spurs, they don't make the playoffs. Harden, LeBron, Fox, etc... With Roco and Tyus we can compete. I think another factor is Ryan must have Wiggins coming of the bench. Okogie and Roco together would be a defensive force. Tyus, Rose, Wiggins, Deng and Taj is an effective small ball unit. Sub in Tolliver for Deng on nights where you need more 3 point shooting and you have a decent second unit. I think there is little chance the Wolves win more than 13 games, but if they can get to 15 or 16 they have a chance. I think they can beat the pacers and the rockets on the road, but I worry about teams like the Bucks and Nuggets.
I think it's going to take 44 wins to make it. 17-8
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

If Bob had been healthy and Saric inserted into the lineup earlier, we'd be in the playoffs right now. No chance they make it and I'm fine with it. Get everyone healthy, figure out your team for the rest of the year, come back next season hitting the ground running. Surprisingly, I'm kind of ok with Saunders.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Might be a little too late for a push but Ill always be optimistic IF we can start defending opponents like how we did a month ago to under 100 pts regularly. This means healthy members and 100% effort.

Playoffs depend BOTH on us winning games AND others losing. Health can play a role and contenders can lose key players as well.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I care more about getting our team right than making the playoffs.

Control what you can.

Concentrate on forming a winning identity and the rest will take care of itself.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

thinktank wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:14 am I care more about getting our team right than making the playoffs.

Control what you can.

Concentrate on forming a winning identity and the rest will take care of itself.
Last game was one of the first games they started to look like a cohesive unit. The 1st and 2nd units bled into one another and looked like it made sense. Great Team play.

Teague had the game of his Wolves life IMO, and it had a HUGE impact.

More Please.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Teague has not been as bad as everyone has said, it's just his 19 mil per year is kind of insane. If he's healthy, he's a solid PG and best on the team.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

thinktank wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:14 am I care more about getting our team right than making the playoffs.

Control what you can.

Get your own takes. :irked:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

111.9 PPG and we're one of the bottom offenses in the West. Today's NBA everyone!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am Teague has not been as bad as everyone has said, it's just his 19 mil per year is kind of insane. If he's healthy, he's a solid PG and best on the team.
Thanks Thibs! Yeah, he's not a bad player but if healthy, I'd prefer to have Rose/Tyus handling the duties, Bayless as emergency guy if/when Rose gets hurt. Lots of money in Wiggins, Dieng and Teague right now. 60ish mil?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am Teague has not been as bad as everyone has said, it's just his 19 mil per year is kind of insane. If he's healthy, he's a solid PG and best on the team.
People get on Wiggins for not giving a shit and not giving consistent effort.

Teague clearly demonstrates when he hustles and plays against somebody like Chris Paul, the incredible impact that “real” PG play has on this team. Yet he is not nearly as bashed as Wiggins is, yes he gets shit but he is not detested and has ump-teen dedicated to his ouster. I would argue that really good PG play has a bigger affect on this team than Wiggins putting up 40 points a night with complete efficiency would.

We all know from Teague’s past in the NBA and from his 1 in 20 game performances here what he is capable of and clearly chooses not to do consistently. He deserves the shit he gets here and then some.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:47 am If Bob had been healthy and Saric inserted into the lineup earlier, we'd be in the playoffs right now. No chance they make it and I'm fine with it. Get everyone healthy, figure out your team for the rest of the year, come back next season hitting the ground running. Surprisingly, I'm kind of ok with Saunders.
How do you know that? Who doesn't get a chance to play then? What don't we learn? Do we spread the minutes like we are now? I mean, Saric and Towns is a good fit on O and terrible on D..........except.........let's start Deng at the 3. And then they get 30 boards from the front line and play solid D. And certainly Okogie gets far fewer minutes and that guy is gold. It may be harder to manage when everyone is healthy.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

We don't win when he doesn't play. We don't win when he plays passive. He's worth 19 mil to most teams in our position or better. But since we are already eyeing rebuild number 25 in the last 15 years everyone thinks he's garbage and the worst player ever. There are actually a ton of post here literally calling him the worst ever.

Zero chance to make the playoffs without him playing with some swagger. And the hope for him opting out is misplaced. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have the money who else are you overpaying with it? Bledsoe? Beverley? Lin? This is overpay offseason. We don't want in. We would be way better off waiting if he opts out or trading him at the deadline next year and actually getting something. Oh right............Taylor trade an expiring.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:07 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:47 am If Bob had been healthy and Saric inserted into the lineup earlier, we'd be in the playoffs right now. No chance they make it and I'm fine with it. Get everyone healthy, figure out your team for the rest of the year, come back next season hitting the ground running. Surprisingly, I'm kind of ok with Saunders.
How do you know that? Who doesn't get a chance to play then? What don't we learn? Do we spread the minutes like we are now? I mean, Saric and Towns is a good fit on O and terrible on D..........except.........let's start Deng at the 3. And then they get 30 boards from the front line and play solid D. And certainly Okogie gets far fewer minutes and that guy is gold. It may be harder to manage when everyone is healthy.
Jesus people, when you post something, it's an opinion. Do I really need to put IMO in sentences? This is like all these pussy millennials that preface everything by saying, "For me personally..."

IMO
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

YBBR wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:02 am Clippers, Lakers, Kings. And Mavericks ahead of us right? Yeah. I don't think it's in the cards.
All of those teams are about the same level as a healthy wolves squad. Not impossible envisioning the Wolves winning each of those games.

imo
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 am
Jesus people, when you post something, it's an opinion. Do I really need to put IMO in sentences? This is like all these pussy millennials that preface everything by saying, "For me personally..."

IMO
You're opinion should be carved in stone...........another opinion.......................girl spaz.

IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................................................spaz.

Do I really have to write "sorry sweetie pie but I don't necessarily agree with your opinion" Do I precious?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 am

IMO
You're opinion should be carved in stone...........another opinion.......................girl spaz.

IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................................................spaz.

Do I really have to write "sorry sweetie pie but I don't necessarily agree with your opinion" Do I precious?
For me personally, you're a homo. :lol: :mrgreen:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:16 am

IMO

Shining example of you intellect, maturity, and basketball knowledge rolled in to one well thought out response.

You must be the king of the 3rd grade.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:16 am

Shining example of you intellect, maturity, and basketball knowledge rolled in to one well thought out response.

You must be the king of the 3rd grade.
Lighten up Francis.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Teague was seriously trying to get himself traded off the team.

Now we’re the only way for him to keep his playoff streak alive.

Look for Teague to continue kicking ass.