Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

cc coby, car chat. Best used car for $15,000.

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
Cobey
Trouble

Re: cc coby, car chat. Best used car for $15,000.

Post by Cobey »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 pm We had 3 Nissans when in MN - 2 Altimas and a Quest and couldn't have been happier with them. Here we have a Kia Sportage - not sure if they sell it under that name in the US but it's been premo!
Nissan has become relatively notorious for their CVT transmissions and how they seem to be made of tissue paper. I don't know if they have gotten better in the last 5 years or so, but 2005-2011ish, they were dog shit and pretty cheaply built.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am

Also.. BTW.. I am no longer a Walser guy.. I'm now totally on the Luther Brookdale bandwagon. Walser always seemed indifferent to the idea that I was giving them a lot of money for a vehicle..
have you read CMD's sig line? :thinking:
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:55 am

I'd also avoid Nissan and VW.
My sister is a VW person, her last car was trouble from the start... she bought another one :|
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Slim Shady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 pm
Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 am My last bit of advice is not to sleep on the Korean brands either, as long as they are less than 5 years old. Hyundai and Kia have been doing really good work lately
6-8 years ago a GF and I went shopping for a car for her daughter, she wanted to bi a Honda. A few used car people told her to forget about Honda and go for Hyundai

take that for whatever its worth, ive never owned either. My ex drives a Santa Fe and has driven the shit out of it w/ few issues
I've owned a Civic and the wife has had a few Hyundais. The better value is probably in Hyundai due to brand reputation, but that gap is closing pretty quick I think.

That being said, I'd probably buy a Honda over a Hyundai, but my priorities are a bit different than most. My wife's Hyundais have been fine, but the ride feels a bit disconnected from the road and just boring.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 pm
That being said, I'd probably buy a Honda over a Hyundai, but my priorities are a bit different than most. My wife's Hyundais have been fine, but the ride feels a bit disconnected from the road and just boring.
I think I'm with you, the name Hyundai just bothers me, not sure why :shrug:
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Slim Shady wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm
Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:55 am

I'd also avoid Nissan and VW.
My sister is a VW person, her last car was trouble from the start... she bought another one :|
I had a Jetta for a while. It was fine, but when something goes wrong, it's gonna cost you. VW has designed it somehow so that there is absolutely no aftermarket parts at all. Every single replacement part, even fucking fuses, will need to come from a VW dealership.

That, plus their emissions issues that littered the news a handful of years ago, is what makes me say to avoid VW. And it's not even the fact that their emissions stats were off on their TDI diesel cars, I just figure that if they were willing to lie/mislead about that, why would I think that their other stats are above board?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 pm We had 3 Nissans when in MN - 2 Altimas and a Quest and couldn't have been happier with them. Here we have a Kia Sportage - not sure if they sell it under that name in the US but it's been premo!
The Quest was pre-911 but might not have had the CVT. But we ran it to 160,000 miles and the only major thing we had to repair on it was the rear lift gate and it was fairly inexpensive. Both Altimas were newer although I didn't take either past 50k before trading/selling.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Wait.. we are all missing the obvious.... The Polar Vortex must have froze Hell over. Sellingguy is asking for advice and not giving it? I personally never thought I'd see the day. Will it last or with the outside temperatures rising will hell unfreeze and back to him knowing it all?
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

They call me Jobber... I have learn to not only accept it, but embrace it.
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

mankatobjr wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 pm Wait.. we are all missing the obvious.... The Polar Vortex must have froze Hell over. Sellingguy is asking for advice and not giving it? I personally never thought I'd see the day. Will it last or with the outside temperatures rising will hell unfreeze and back to him knowing it all?
:lol:
When fact is fiction and TV reality
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

she likes a 2015 chevy equinox front wheel drive basic grandma version, 4 cl. but nice stereo in for her Greatful Dead jams.
45k miles, and she will offer 13,250. They are asking 14995.00
Seemed nice. Our little town mechanic is looking it over tomorrow. We have it on a 3 day test drive.
I showed her the upgrade version and the buick version and she is just fine with this one.
We will most likely still rent new cars for road trips.
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

As mentioned above Mazdas are a quality choice. A CX-5 may fit your bill.
Lampin'