Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

cc coby, car chat. Best used car for $15,000.

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

cc coby, car chat. Best used car for $15,000.

Post by Sellingguy »

I'm sure you all have great advice.
EnLiteEndOne

Re: cc coby, car chat. Best used car for $15,000.

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

What do you need from the car?
High mpg?
AWD?
Etc.
Lampin'
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

It is for the gal. It might also be used for our road trips in the summer. I normally have just rented us a new car for trips.
Mostly have gotten subura's.
4 doors, automatic
midsized suv, she likes AWD, but does not need it, front wheel is fine.
MGP in mid 20 to 30 on avg is fine.
Suburas are good, until you have to fix them
Chevy equnoix has electrical issues, the buick upgrade seems not too.
She just wants a good car for her daily driving that will last her a min of 5 years with little issue.
Mizuno Man
***Official Gibby Award Winner - February 2019***

Post by Mizuno Man »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:40 pm It is for the gal. It might also be used for our road trips in the summer. I normally have just rented us a new car for trips.
4 doors, automatic
She just wants a good car for her daily driving that will last her a min of 5 years with little issue.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 66371.html

Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech package...engine will last forever.....just change the timing belt and water pump every 100k. Oh and it will blow away most other SUV's as it has a 300 HP engine. Once your gal test drives it....she'll want it.
Last edited by Mizuno Man on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asknot to WNU
"Is there a place where we can talk about evolving and dissipating covid hot spots or does anything covid related have to go through your blockade of Covid re-education?"
Douglas Bubbletrousers
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2018, June 2019***

Post by Douglas Bubbletrousers »

Try to buy a self-driving car off Google
I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would die for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Don't sleep on Mazda. They have been low-key doing some of the best work in the business since they parted their ties with Ford.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

If you want something reliable and cheap in terms of maintenance, I'd probably look toward Honda or Toyota. Either of those brands should have options in what you're looking for, for well under that price point.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

My last bit of advice is not to sleep on the Korean brands either, as long as they are less than 5 years old. Hyundai and Kia have been doing really good work lately
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 am Don't sleep on Mazda. They have been low-key doing some of the best work in the business since they parted their ties with Ford.
Mazdas are solid. Couldn't be happier with mrs cmd's. And, sidenote, the guys at Walser said that Mazda has been switching over parts so that all their car/crossovers are using the same parts and same engines. Sounds like they started doing that with the 16 or 17 models.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:12 am
Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 am Don't sleep on Mazda. They have been low-key doing some of the best work in the business since they parted their ties with Ford.
Mazdas are solid. Couldn't be happier with mrs cmd's. And, sidenote, the guys at Walser said that Mazda has been switching over parts so that all their car/crossovers are using the same parts and same engines. Sounds like they started doing that with the 16 or 17 models.
Makes sense, I guess. I don't dig the movement of having a 2.0L powering an SUV, but it's the way of the world now I guess.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I love Mazda. Have owned three in my family. Would buy another in a heartbeat.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

The CX-9 might be one of the sexiest vesicles on the road right now.

Also.. BTW.. I am no longer a Walser guy.. I'm now totally on the Luther Brookdale bandwagon. Walser always seemed indifferent to the idea that I was giving them a lot of money for a vehicle..

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am The CX-9 might be one of the sexiest vesicles on the road right now.
For me, it's the Mazda6, Mazda3 and the MX5, but I'd agree with you that even their crossovers don't look like the pigfat blobs that all the others seem to
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

If it were my money, I'd be going with this and pocket the spare 5k

https://www.lutherauto.com/used/FIAT/20 ... 63a470.htm
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

not much in the toyota rav or honda suv at that price point without very high miles.

She has been looking at mitusbishi due to 100,000 mile warrenties. seem to be many for sale in the 50K milage range.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am
Makes sense, I guess. I don't dig the movement of having a 2.0L powering an SUV, but it's the way of the world now I guess.
Honestly, on the couple that I drove, they didn't feel underpowered. I was turned off at first, too, but then after driving it a bit, it was fine.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:45 am not much in the toyota rav or honda suv at that price point without very high miles.

She has been looking at mitusbishi due to 100,000 mile warrenties. seem to be many for sale in the 50K milage range.
Mazda CX-5

Mitsubishi are garbage.
Lampin'
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am

Also.. BTW.. I am no longer a Walser guy.. I'm now totally on the Luther Brookdale bandwagon. Walser always seemed indifferent to the idea that I was giving them a lot of money for a vehicle..
Interesting. I've got the opposite feeling of Walser. They have bent over backwards for everything that we've been in there for (transmission, recall work), and was one of the best salesmen I've ever dealt with. Did you work with the Mazda side, or one of the other locations? I would've gone to Walser in a heartbeat, when I got new trucks, if not for the convenience factor of Snell in Mankato.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:45 am not much in the toyota rav or honda suv at that price point without very high miles.

I'd avoid Mitsubishi. Their reputation isn't great.

I'd also avoid Nissan and VW.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 am
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am

Interesting. I've got the opposite feeling of Walser. They have bent over backwards for everything that we've been in there for (transmission, recall work), and was one of the best salesmen I've ever dealt with. Did you work with the Mazda side, or one of the other locations? I would've gone to Walser in a heartbeat, when I got new trucks, if not for the convenience factor of Snell in Mankato.
That might be the issue. It was the Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer in Hopkins. Real snooty feel to the place.

Oddly enough.. one of the best experiences I've had is at Land Rover of Minneapolis.

#BaltimoreStrong
Badbeat

Post by Badbeat »

I have 2 mazda's that I have bought from Walser... I bought a new mazda 3 in 2010 that now has 165k on it and has never had any issues.. last year I bought a used cx9 that has worked perfect since I bought it. Oddly the original bill of sale was in the car, the woman paid $41,000 and the dealership did things like new tires, transverse case, etc totaling 2,300. I bought it for 15k and have wondered how much she got for it when she traded it in.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:40 pm It is for the gal. It might also be used for our road trips in the summer. I normally have just rented us a new car for trips.
4 doors, automatic
My ladyfriend's aunt is in the same boat. She went with a Hyundai. I think it's the Elantra. I've driven it a few times and feel like it's really good quality - I haven't had to fix anything so I know its been reliable for the past two years for her.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 am
4 doors, automatic
My ladyfriend's aunt is in the same boat. She went with a Hyundai. I think it's the Elantra. I've driven it a few times and feel like it's really good quality - I haven't had to fix anything so I know its been reliable for the past two years for her.
Mrs. Cobey has had 3 Hyundais, an Elantra, a Sonata and now a Santa Fe. They're solid if you're looking for an "A-to-B" car. I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that I busted up the Elantra by overtaking a Semi at 3/4+ throttle. If I remember right, I bent the a valve or something similar.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I am a big fan of this car on paper. (This isn't for SG, but on the topic of Hyundai. This is the first car out of them that I'd actually want to own)

$29,000
2.0L Turbocharged I4
275 HP
260 ft/lb Torque
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 am
Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:34 am Image

I am a big fan of this car on paper. (This isn't for SG, but on the topic of Hyundai. This is the first car out of them that I'd actually want to own)

$29,000
2.0L Turbocharged I4
275 HP
260 ft/lb Torque
There's one in town here with 58,000 miles on it for... ironically... $15k.
Considering they have only been in dealerships for like 2 months, that's pretty impressive.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 am
Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 am
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 am

There's one in town here with 58,000 miles on it for... ironically... $15k.
Considering they have only been in dealerships for like 2 months, that's pretty impressive.
Probably isn't the turbocharged version.
Veloster isn't the same car as the Veloster N.

Think Civic vs Civic SI vs Civic Type R...completely different animals.
Mizuno Man
***Official Gibby Award Winner - February 2019***

Post by Mizuno Man »

$29,000
2.0L Turbocharged I4
275 HP
260 ft/lb Torque
275 hp?? :lol: junk....
Asknot to WNU
"Is there a place where we can talk about evolving and dissipating covid hot spots or does anything covid related have to go through your blockade of Covid re-education?"
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Mizuno Man wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 am

$29,000
2.0L Turbocharged I4
275 HP
260 ft/lb Torque
275 hp?? :lol: junk....
Please tell me more about your pigfat piece of shit that handles like farm equipment and costs twice as much as this car.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 am My last bit of advice is not to sleep on the Korean brands either, as long as they are less than 5 years old. Hyundai and Kia have been doing really good work lately
6-8 years ago a GF and I went shopping for a car for her daughter, she wanted to bi a Honda. A few used car people told her to forget about Honda and go for Hyundai

take that for whatever its worth, ive never owned either. My ex drives a Santa Fe and has driven the shit out of it w/ few issues
Last edited by Slim Shady on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

We had 3 Nissans when in MN - 2 Altimas and a Quest and couldn't have been happier with them. Here we have a Kia Sportage - not sure if they sell it under that name in the US but it's been premo!