Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Power Trip : The House Of Strombo

Music forum.
Qman65

Power Trip : The House Of Strombo

Post by Qman65 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fV0Wdjxyis?t=717

Not the Morning show, the band. The Crossbreaker is the shit!
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
-Jaymo-

Re: Power Trip : The House Of Strombo

Post by -Jaymo- »

Qman65 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:14 am http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fV0Wdjxyis

Might want to post a link that actually works, Gary.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

-Jaymo- wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:22 am
Qman65 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:14 am [url]http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fV0Wdjxyis[/url]

Might want to post a link that actually works, Gary.
I've tried everything. Please help me!
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

I've watched this several times since you posted it on the Dime thread. Besides just how bad-ass the music is, the quality of the recording is spot-on for a live production. Speaking of the morning show, they should listen to THIS. And not the 311 bullshit, etc...

7:09 "Mosh in the pits, and let's go, you fucking sissies!"
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

I just have never gotten into vocals like that. Guitar riffs are great but those vocals turn me off in a heartbeat.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am I just have never gotten into vocals like that. Guitar riffs are great but those vocals turn me off in a heartbeat.
So Tommy Araya has better vocal range? Don't see much difference other than Seasons in the Abyss. :roll:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:53 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am I just have never gotten into vocals like that. Guitar riffs are great but those vocals turn me off in a heartbeat.
So Tommy Araya has better vocal range? Don't see much difference other than Seasons in the Abyss. :roll:
:roll:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:04 am
Keep rollin, Pantera Cowboys vs Vulgar? Any vocal difference to Power Trip vocals? Not much. To me unless you're RJD, Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson, I'll take the riffs over vocals.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

So you don't like Pantera. Yes, I'm calling you out. Put up or shut up.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

This.
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 am
This.
That guitar work is average at best as well.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:17 am
So you don't like Pantera. Yes, I'm calling you out. Put up or shut up.
Not a Pantera fan either. Don’t like Mozart either.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 am
This.
How bout that SS. We agree on something :thumbsup:
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 am

Keep rollin, Pantera Cowboys vs Vulgar? Any vocal difference to Power Trip vocals? Not much. To me unless you're RJD, Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson, I'll take the riffs over vocals.
Q,
Just so I'm reading this right, are you saying there's not much vocal difference between "Cowboys From Hell" and "Vulgar Display of Power"?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Very forgettable. Singer isn’t very talented, imho.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Angry Waters wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:08 pm
Qman65 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 am

Q,
Just so I'm reading this right, are you saying there's not much vocal difference between "Cowboys From Hell" and "Vulgar Display of Power"?
Not really. How about looking into Pantera's albums pre Cowboys. They were a fucking hairband. Proof .
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Since It's been 4 days and no reply I guess I made my point. I don't know what I'm talking about I guess. :roll:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 pm Very forgettable. Singer isn’t very talented, imho.
Phil used to be able to sing, so what does Phil from Cowboys to Reinventing the Steel do vocally other than Planet Caravan different than the lead singer do from Power Trip? I'll hang up and listen. I have alot of respect for Beefy and Jimtown, we see eye to eye on alot of music but I have to call them out on this one. If Lemmy was alive I'd ask him what he thought .
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Qman65 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 pm Very forgettable. Singer isn’t very talented, imho.
Phil used to be able to sing, so what does Phil from Cowboys to Reinventing the Steel do vocally other than Planet Caravan different than the lead singer do from Power Trip? I'll hang up and listen. I have alot of respect for Beefy and Jimtown, we see eye to eye on alot of music but I have to call them out on this one. If Lemmy was alive I'd ask him what he thought .
Phil is not a very talented singer either.

He had great energy in panteta and they tapped into something new (groove metal) at the right time. But dimebag is what separated pantera from other bands. Not Phil. Phil was a good frontman, but a really average singer. There is a difference.

I mean, how talented do you have to be to scream “Walk!” really loud? Ronnie James Dio he ain’t. Does anyone give a shit about anything Phil has done outside of Pantera?

- Carl Jung
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:06 pm

He had great energy in panteta and they tapped into something new (groove metal) at the right time. But dimebag is what separated pantera from other bands. Not Phil. Phil was a good frontman, but a really average singer. There is a difference.

I mean, how talented do you have to be to scream “Walk!” really loud? Ronnie James Dio he ain’t. Does anyone give a shit about anything Phil has done outside of Pantera?
Beefy this is my whole argument. I agree, vocally he's not great but the rest of the band holds up the songs just like Pantera. I don't remember Lemmy having a whole lot of range and these same people who dis Power Trip's singer as bad love Motorhead. AS DO I! I guess there's a double standard in metal?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:15 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:06 pm

Beefy this is my whole argument. I agree, vocally he's not great but the rest of the band holds up the songs just like Pantera. I don't remember Lemmy having a whole lot of range and these same people who dis Power Trip's singer as bad love Motorhead. AS DO I! I guess there's a double standard in metal?
I disagree. The rest of the band isn't close to Pantera. Medium potency tepid thrash with an average lead singer. I'm sure they're fun to see live and all, but nothing really new or exciting going on. Nothing I haven't heard done before and better.

Lemmy didn't have shit for range, but Motorhead was on the vanguard of speeding up metal with punk energy. They were Black Sabbath meats the Sex Pistols. They were new and unique. If another band came out today and sounded like a Motorhead knock-off, nobody would care.

Do you know these guys or something? You seem really defensive about anyone else not liking them as much as you do.

- Carl Jung
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Not defensive, I like what I hear. Granted vocals are limited, ok but how about musically? No double bass drum and guitars working like Thin Lizzy double lead? You might not like the vocals,so does a metal band rely on guitar or vocals? I think a metal band revolves around guitars and the rhythm section. Vocals be damned. Ok I love Ronnie James Dio but without Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Bill Ward what do have? a great singer who could have a band like ELF.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Qman65 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 am Not defensive, I like what I hear. Granted vocals are limited, ok but how about musically? No double bass drum and guitars working like Thin Lizzy double lead? You might not like the vocals,so does a metal band rely on guitar or vocals? I think a metal band revolves around guitars and the rhythm section. Vocals be damned. Ok I love Ronnie James Dio but without Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Bill Ward what do have? a great singer who could have a band like ELF.
Well, I think I agree that the guts and glory of metal is the rhythm section. But now you've gone and invoked Butler, Iomi, and Ward. These guys aren't in that category either. Hell, they're not even playing that kind of music.

Quite honestly, they sound a bit like a "Beneath the Remains" and "Arise" era Sepultura more than anything else. But dude ain't Max Cavalera either!

- Carl Jung
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 pm
Qman65 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 am Not defensive, I like what I hear. Granted vocals are limited, ok but how about musically? No double bass drum and guitars working like Thin Lizzy double lead? You might not like the vocals,so does a metal band rely on guitar or vocals? I think a metal band revolves around guitars and the rhythm section. Vocals be damned. Ok I love Ronnie James Dio but without Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Bill Ward what do have? a great singer who could have a band like ELF.
Well, I think I agree that the guts and glory of metal is the rhythm section. But now you've gone and invoked Butler, Iomi, and Ward. These guys aren't in that category either. Hell, they're not even playing that kind of music.

Quite honestly, they sound a bit like a "Beneath the Remains" and "Arise" era Sepultura more than anything else. But dude ain't Max Cavalera either!
I put them them more in the vein of Pantera where the vocals aren't great but the band carries the day.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

RIP Riley :sad:
Trump will forever be known as Potus who was so full of shit that country ran out of Toilet Paper.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Bon Scott wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:52 pm RIP Riley :sad:
Yeah, man. I didn't know too much about this band--I don't own any of their music. But I like the stuff I've heard. They were certainly a band on the come, where bigger things were likely in their future.