Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

what's up with Chilly?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ya Think

what's up with Chilly?

Post by Ya Think »

didn't he take job with the Bears last offseason just to quit a coupler months later? Now he's quitting this gig.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2572 ... egends-aaf
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: what's up with Chilly?

Post by HeHateMe »

Ya Think wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:05 pm didn't he take job with the Bears last offseason just to quit a coupler months later? Now he's quitting this gig.

He was supposedly going to Cleveland if Stefanski took the new gig.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Who cares.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I hated Chilly’s personality more than any coach I’ve seen.

But he did get the team from 8-8 to 10-6 to 12-4 in consecutive seasons.

That probably was more to do with Speilman building up the roster, and obviously the Favre year, but up until 12 men in a huddle, Chilly had built a good thing here personnel wise. He was just not the right person to guide them.

I wonder if he might be useful in some front office capacity.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 pm I hated Chilly’s personality more than any coach I’ve seen.

But he did take a 9 win team coached by a meathead and turned it info a 6 win team (nut hey two years later he took
8-8 to 10-6 to 12-4 in consecutive seasons.)
Fixed. Good God. :lol:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Ya Think wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:05 pm didn't he take job with the Bears last offseason just to quit a coupler months later? Now he's quitting this gig.

I had heard his parents are on there last legs.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 pm I hated Chilly’s personality more than any coach I’ve seen.

But he did get the team from 8-8 to 10-6 to 12-4 in consecutive seasons.

That probably was more to do with Speilman building up the roster, and obviously the Favre year, but up until 12 men in a huddle, Chilly had built a good thing here personnel wise. He was just not the right person to guide them.

I wonder if he might be useful in some front office capacity.
Why? He was funny as hell on a personal level.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

salamander wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm

All the more reason to work so he can buy them some new legs!
salamander

Post by salamander »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm

All the more reason to work so he can buy them some new legs!
They would probably appreciate that greatly!
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

I thought Chilly was a good head coach. The issue was he was smarter than most reporters who covered him so they didn't get his dry sense of humor and found him hard to digest.

He did a good job in 2009 bringing in their best player and getting them on the playoff run.

Looks at where most of our "star" players went after they left us.
Sidney Rice, Ray Edwards, Visanthe Shiancoe, Maddiu Williams.
These are players that weren't really that great and never performed anywhere else.
Chilly got the most out of them, and he appreciated a strong offensive line.

O-Line has been in decline ever since he left.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Face The Facts wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:44 am I thought Chilly was a good head coach. The issue was he was smarter than most reporters who covered him so they didn't get his dry sense of humor and found him hard to digest.

He did a good job in 2009 bringing in their best player and getting them on the playoff run.

These are players that weren't really that great and never performed anywhere else.

This is so true. There was steady growth of this team under Chilly. And he wasn't the stuffy codger the local media made him out to be, he was kind of funny if you could catch it with that dry humor you mentioned. But after that 12 man in the huddle and the 2010 debacle dragging Favre back and how he handled Moss things went downhill for him fast.
hategreenticemase

Nobody wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 am
Face The Facts wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:44 am I thought Chilly was a good head coach. The issue was he was smarter than most reporters who covered him so they didn't get his dry sense of humor and found him hard to digest.

This is so true. There was steady growth of this team under Chilly.

Yep, spot on - after he took a 9 win team coached by a meathead and turned it into a 6 win team, and after they added all pro talent like Jared Allen, AP, Hutch and several other pro bowlers they had "steady growth". Hell, 3 years later they even won more games than they lost, you know, like the team he inherited did the year before he took over.

I swear to God I don't know where some of you morons come up with this shit. :lol:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

500+ yards offense in NFCCG
Made 'offs with Gus and Tjack

Would've been much better than Zim with this group hands down
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Guess he had better options? Andy Reid asking for advice going into the road to the Superbowl. LOL!
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

Brad was, aaaaaahhhhh, last scene getting ready, uuuuuhhhhhmmmmm, getting ready to order, aaaaaahhhhh, something tasty from, uuuuuuhhhhmmm, his Dennys' menu!

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I agree Chilly would of done better with this group. He was a "Go getter"

He has almost the same exact stats in his first 5 year's that Zimmer has.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Herky

Post by Herky »

Childress was a terrible head coach that not many players respected. He was stubborn and didn't relate well to guys. He was lucky Farve fell into his lap because he was the real offensive mind that season.

His offense was conservative and even though many of his teams were loaded with talent, he was still average at best on gameday. The Tarvaris Jackson experiment was awful and that was squarely on him. He was going to "mold and shape" him and that never happened. He wasn't a bad evaluator of talent (outside of QB), he just didn't get his guys to play for him. Dude was underwhelming and couldn't get out of his own way.
Last edited by Herky on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

The Moss release was an big internal battle between Chilly and Spielman / ownership.

Chilly used his ability to cut him and it didn't go over well.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Face The Facts wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 am The Moss release was an big internal battle between Chilly and Spielman / ownership.

Chilly used his ability to cut him and it didn't go over well.
Yeah Childress never wanted him that was pretty much all the Wilfs doing. Sure Moss acted like an ass when he got here but most of the players had said that Childress was looking for any reason to get rid of him and the blow up with the caters was his chance.
hategreenticemase

He once punted with less than 2 mins left, with no timeouts and down 2 scores. "I thought we could get the ball back" (in spite of, you know, it was mathematically impossible). :lol:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 pm He once punted with less than 2 mins left, with no timeouts and down 2 scores. "I thought we could get the ball back" (in spite of, you know, it was mathematically impossible). :lol:
What game was that? Not that I don't believe it actually happened....
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 pm He once punted with less than 2 mins left, with no timeouts and down 2 scores. "I thought we could get the ball back" (in spite of, you know, it was mathematically impossible). :lol:
I believe it was Carolina but I don't remember it.

It's unfathomable the moronic in game strategists/clock management morons we have endured here. Another classic is Tice - with his team down 21 - scores a TD and he actually called a timeout to discuss whether or not to go for 2. Classic.

Nothing will ever top Denny Green 97 playoffs start Giants. If you have time, find the you tube of that and watch the last 8 mins of that game. Joe Theismann and Dan Patrick we're openly mocking Green. If you didnt know the score you would have actually believed the Vikings were the ones up 9 trying to run out the clock. It was fucking hysterical.
Dude

Post by Dude »

2008 against the Titans. They were down 30-17 at the two minute warning and Childress punted.
hategreenticemase

Dude wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pm
2008 against the Titans. They were down 30-17 at the two minute warning and Childress punted.
Again, the best part was his quote after the game. He actually thought he could get the ball back. Fucking classic. :lol:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Like when Zimmer called the TO at the end of the Lions game two years ago? Game would of been over but calling that pointless TO left just enough time for Stafford to win the game with 30 seconds?

When they asked Zimmer what he was thinking he said "I would do it again"
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

The 1997 Giants playoff game was odd because it worked.

Or... the Gods felt bad for Green and decided to help him.

It was bad, but Denny really defended it after the fact which led to the additional doubt about how stable Denny was.
Still Denny got us in the playoffs almost every year. Far more frequent than we've had since.

Vikings got the ball with 6:53, down by 9.
Ran plays at:
6:53
6:18
5:44 (fumbled snap_
5:14
4:35
and
3:57 - Punt.

So burned almost 3 minutes with a 6 play drive, when down by 9 in the 4th quarter.
Last edited by Face The Facts on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Herky wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 am Childress was a terrible head coach that not many players respected. He was stubborn and didn't relate well to guys. He was lucky Farve fell into his lap because he was the real offensive mind that season.

His offense was conservative and even though many of his teams were loaded with talent, he was still average at best on gameday. The Tarvaris Jackson experiment was awful and that was squarely on him. He was going to "mold and shape" him and that never happened. He wasn't a bad evaluator of talent (outside of QB), he just didn't get his guys to play for him. Dude was underwhelming and couldn't get out of his own way.
Loaded teams? He had a decent defense but most players on his offense were junk. Some of that is on him but you like WRs like Wade, Taylor, Mcmullen, Fergeson, Williamson etc

QBS like Johnson, TJack, Gus, Holcomb, Bolinger etc
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Face The Facts wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm The 1997 Giants playoff game was odd because it worked.

Or... the Gods felt bad for Green and decided to help him.

It was bad, but Denny really defended it after the fact which led to the additional doubt about how stable Denny was.
Still Denny got us in the playoffs almost every year. Far more frequent than we've had since.
Denny Green shits all over Zimmer as a HC so far.

The Vikings were in the playoffs almost every single year under Denny. Made two championship games. Put together one of the leagues greatest offenses. Won division titles.

Zimmer has yet to even get this team to the playoffs in back to back years.

I like Zimmer. He's probably the third best coach here. Bud and Denny are in a different stratosphere though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Denny was a far better acting GM than Spielman as well.

Denny missed three years of first, second, and some third round picks due to Herschel Walker trade made before him.
Even with that, he was able to keep the team in the playoffs.

It's really remarkable how hard of a road he had and how much he did with the team.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Face The Facts wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm Denny was a far better acting GM than Spielman as well.

Denny missed three years of first, second, and some third round picks due to Herschel Walker trade made before him.
Even with that, he was able to keep the team in the playoffs.

It's really remarkable how hard of a road he had and how much he did with the team.
It was the last time this team was consistently good.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master