Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by somuchyummy »

i'd love sagaba on our team - but i do acknowledge a flaw in my analysis of players i like. namely, with sagaba - he gets these monstrous two-handed blocks at the rim that are just so freaking awesome. but, some of those monstrous blocks are against the likes of joe hanson of arkansas state - not nba caliber talent. it'll be interesting to see if it translates. i know the effort will be there - not as sure about the results.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:44 pm i'd love sagaba on our team - but i do acknowledge a flaw in my analysis of players i like. namely, with sagaba - he gets these monstrous two-handed blocks at the rim that are just so freaking awesome. but, some of those monstrous blocks are against the likes of joe hanson of arkansas state - not nba caliber talent. it'll be interesting to see if it translates. i know the effort will be there - not as sure about the results.
He's not a fly around blocker though. He's a meet you at the rim and there are scant few guys who can get as high. He's a straight up and down dunk it through me guy so he won't pick up a ton of fouls. And he's a beast so you can't get through him. He's been doing this for 3 years in the big 12 and that's been the best overall conference the whole time. Sure no one is as good in the pros against better talent but the way he plays will translate. And he will be among the strongest and most athletic from minute 1.

Maybe some additional length might be nice but none of the other big beasts are showing the same offensive improvement.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

anybody like what we're seeing out of admiral schofield - and is it translatable to the nba?

in case you don't follow college ball - schofield is a 6-5 245 lb wing for the tennessee vols - senior, with no baby fat on him. physique is like a shorter version of sagaba konate - muscles on top of muscles. currently on a nice tear - 30 pts in a win over #1 gonzaga followed by 29 in a win over memphis. 4 year 38% 3PT shooter - this year is shooting them more than ever (7 per game) at a 44% clip. a beast posting down low as well because of his strength. comes out of a strong vols program that emphasizes D. endline to endline player. it'll be interesting to see if he rises on the boards, because many mocks don't even list him. maybe a man without a position in the pros - but is starting to allay those fears with his strong outside shot. nonetheless, he's a 4 year player and those guys always drop.

still interested in seeing if the celtics would swap two of their early 20s picks for our probable late lotto. sagaba and the admiral? they'd instantly become our two strongest players.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Is it crazy to hope for a Tre/Tyus Jones back court next season?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Whats the thoughts on the strength of this draft?
It doesn't appear to be a very deep draft. Am I right?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it's early, but it looks to me like it drops off pretty early in the lottery this year. boston has four first rounders - the later ones are being mocked around 19, 21 and 23. if we finish in the lotto and wind up with an 11 pick or something - i'd love to flip that to boston for two of their later picks. they can't want all four of their picks, can they?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

qrocks wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:34 am Is it crazy to hope for a Tre/Tyus Jones back court next season?
Yes. Also dumb, imo.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 am it's early, but it looks to me like it drops off pretty early in the lottery this year. boston has four first rounders - the later ones are being mocked around 19, 21 and 23. if we finish in the lotto and wind up with an 11 pick or something - i'd love to flip that to boston for two of their later picks. they can't want all four of their picks, can they?
They'll all be offered for Anthony Davis.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

witljon wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:53 pm Whats the thoughts on the strength of this draft?
Top heavy and the middle drops out big time compared to last year. Still have three months of college hoops to go so I'm sure some names will emerge. I can't help but love Bol Bol but I think he'll go in the top 10.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 pm
witljon wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:53 pm Whats the thoughts on the strength of this draft?
Top heavy and the middle drops out big time compared to last year. Still have three months of college hoops to go so I'm sure some names will emerge. I can't help but love Bol Bol but I think he'll go in the top 10.
I don't really see it like that. Top heavy with splashy maybe but even with as much as I love watching them they all have questions. To me it's a really deep draft of players that top out as #2 or #3 types. A lot of really good role type 4th or 5th starter types or 6th men.

This is that wonderful time of year for me where I have a nasty month and I can't pay much attention and by the time it's over I hate the whole fucking team. It's double this year with the loss of our one legit player. We are a team full of weak front runners and we will never win with them. It's depressing. We tried putting a tough winner with them and not only didn't they learn, they bucked. And now we are fucked. Thank god for the draft and the future and...............fuck. Was gonna say the Vikes.

Well, here's my annual take a fucking tough guy plea. Haven't watched more than a quarter in like a month until ;last night and I have to watch my previous obsession J. Collins just out tough us on the glass all night. Time to pray we smarten up and take someone with balls instead of measurables and talent. Last year was a start. Keep Okogie, RoCo, and Saric and trade everyone else and pick the guys that remind you most of them. Can't wait for conference season so we can start to identify them. Oh, and he won't get drafted but we better fucking sign J. Murphy.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:05 pm
I don't really see it like that. Top heavy with splashy maybe but even with as much as I love watching them they all have questions. To me it's a really deep draft of players that top out as #2 or #3 types. A lot of really good role type 4th or 5th starter types or 6th men.

This is that wonderful time of year for me where I have a nasty month and I can't pay much attention and by the time it's over I hate the whole fucking team. It's double this year with the loss of our one legit player. We are a team full of weak front runners and we will never win with them. It's depressing. We tried putting a tough winner with them and not only didn't they learn, they bucked. And now we are fucked. Thank god for the draft and the future and...............fuck. Was gonna say the Vikes.

Well, here's my annual take a fucking tough guy plea. Haven't watched more than a quarter in like a month until ;last night and I have to watch my previous obsession J. Collins just out tough us on the glass all night. Time to pray we smarten up and take someone with balls instead of measurables and talent. Last year was a start. Keep Okogie, RoCo, and Saric and trade everyone else and pick the guys that remind you most of them. Can't wait for conference season so we can start to identify them. Oh, and he won't get drafted but we better fucking sign J. Murphy.
Yikes, I'm not going to sign off on that one.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think bol will have strength issues in the league and the last thing we need on the wolves is another big who has strength issues. time for the wolves to muscle up.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Looks like that Zion guy might be ok.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:53 am Looks like that Zion guy might be ok.
The mock I looked at had the 3 Duke guys going 1-2-3.
Zion-RJ-Cam
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:52 am
i think bol will have strength issues in the league and the last thing we need on the wolves is another big who has strength issues. time for the wolves to muscle up.
The draft is all about potential... if you're in the late lottery and get Bol Bol, I don't think you'd be upset. He wouldn't start next year.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

nbadraft.net's latest mock has boston's four first rounders as charles bassey, darius garland, daniel gafford, and simi shittu. :shock:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Great Twitter posting minds, someone post the Zion Williamson dunk from tonight. Jesus.
Let's get Tropical
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:19 pm Great Twitter posting minds, someone post the Zion Williamson dunk from tonight. Jesus.

Zion is going to be one of the most favorite players in the league the second he touches the floor.

It's unfair how athletic this guy is. Weighs 285 pounds and moves like a gazelle combined with power that you cannot stop without fouling.
Last edited by flexbuffchest on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'll have to agree with whoever posted that we're not getting any of boston's 4 first rounders this year because they'll be fishing for a big name somewhere with at least a couple of them.

but... it's just come to my attention that brooklyn has three picks this year - a lottery pick, then a late first and an early 2nd (nbadraft.net puts them at 28 and 33). do the nets have a decent vet you'd trade our probable lottery pick for in addition to their 28 and 33 picks? joe harris is hitting 49% of his threes this year and just got inked to an affordable 2 year/$16M deal. RHJ? deangelo? caris? jarrett?

nothing late lottery is floating my boat right now. i like harris a lot. draft night of harris and some combination of sagaba konate, admiral schofield, brandon clarke, and/or simi shittu and count me a happy camper.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

One of my favorite things from that dunk after seeing it several times and from different angles are watching his teammates. That is pretty awesome.

The best is Barrett jumping as Zion jumps.
Let's get Tropical
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 am One of my favorite things from that dunk after seeing it several times and from different angles are watching his teammates. That is pretty awesome.

The best is Barrett jumping as Zion jumps.
The best thing about Zion, to me, is that he is one of the rare players who is always hustling and combine that with his frame and athleticism :shock: . He doesn't really take a whole lot of plays off.

I might have to root for another team in addition to the Wolves for the first time in my life.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

anybody subscribe to espn? they just put out a new 2 round mock and i'd like to see it. without spending $4.99 a month that is.

yes. i am that cheap.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Who are the bigger PGs that play defense and can shoot it a bit? Anyone fit that bill?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

One of my concerns with the draft is the Wolves going back to having no vision of what kind of player they want. I'm not a fan of Thibs, but he did have a vision, and I think he knew how to scout. The Okogie pick, for where it was in the draft is looking like a home run. Who knows about Patton, many liked his skill set, but we never really got a look. Typical Wolves pick without Thibs, is just drafting via a consensus internet draft.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:40 pm Who are the bigger PGs that play defense and can shoot it a bit? Anyone fit that bill?
if we finish late in the lottery (my guess), then the obvious PG pick there would be darius garland. he's small though (6-2 175) - but the dropoff after him probably goes to the mid 20s where tre jones lands. but he's small too (6-2 183). i think we should instead look for a PG in free agency (satoransky/6-7 215/plays okay D/career 49% and 40% shooter, but mostly a pass first PG) and look to the draft for other positional needs. sato would be ready right now to assume a larger role - any draft PG will probably need some grooming.

and i'll ask again. anyone out there willing to post the latest espn 60 player mock?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm anybody subscribe to espn? they just put out a new 2 round mock and i'd like to see it. without spending $4.99 a month that is.

yes. i am that cheap.
According to google:
2019 NBA Mock Draft PICK PLAYER TEAM POS HT WT AGE

ATL Zion Williamson Duke PF 6-6 272 18.3

CHI RJ Barrett Duke SG/SF 6-7 208 18.4

PHX Nassir Little North Carolina SF 6-6 215 18.7

CLE Cam Reddish Duke SF 6-9 205 19.2

NYK Bol Bol Oregon C 7-2 222 19.0

BOS (via SAC) Romeo Langford Indiana SF 6-6 202 19.0

ORL Keldon Johnson Kentucky SF 6-6 210 19.1

WAS Sekou Doumbouya Limoges PF 6-9 210 17.9

ATL (via DAL) Kevin Porter USC PG/SG 6-6 217 18.5

BKN Ja Morant Murray St PG 6-3 170 19.2

MIA Darius Garland Vanderbilt PG 6-3 173 18.8

MIN Quentin Grimes Kansas SG 6-6 207 18.5

SAS De'Andre Hunter Virginia PF 6-8 222 20.9

BOS (via MEM) Rui Hachimura Gonzaga PF 6-9 234 20.8

DET Daniel Gafford Arkansas C 6-10 223 20.1

LAL Jarrett Culver Texas Tech SG 6-5 190 19.7

CHA Nickeil Alexander-Walker Virginia Tech PG/SG 6-6 200 20.2

NOP Jontay Porter Missouri C 6-11 236 19.0

UTA Luguentz Dort Arizona St SG 6-5 224 19.6

POR PJ Washington Kentucky PF 6-8 223 20.2

HOU Jalen Smith Maryland PF 6-10 196 18.6

IND Jalen McDaniels San Diego St SF/PF 6-10 190 20.8

PHI Eric Paschall Villanova PF 6-8 260 22.0

BOS (via LAC) Talen Horton-Tucker Iowa St SF 6-4 239 18.0

OKC Jalen Lecque Brewster Academy PG/SG 6-4 189 18.4

BOS Jaylen Hoard Wake Forest PF 6-9 219 19.6

BKN (via DEN) Luka Samanic Olimpija Ljubljana PF 6-11 210 18.8

GSW Darius Bazley N/A SF/PF 6-9 196 18.4

SAS (via TOR) Ty Jerome Virginia SG 6-5 200 21.3

MIL Brandon Clarke Gonzaga PF 6-8 210 22.1

ATL Naz Reid LSU PF/C 6-10 252 19.2

PHI (via CHI) Shamorie Ponds St. John's PG 6-1 175 20.4

PHX Isaiah Roby Nebraska PF 6-8 226 20.8

ORL (via CLE) Goga Bitadze Mega Bemax C 6-11 251 19.3

BKN (via NYK) Charles Matthews Michigan SF 6-6 180 22.0

PHI (via SAC) Dedric Lawson Kansas PF 6-8 225 21.1

SAC (via ORL) Charles Bassey Western Kentucky C 6-11 234 18.0

CHA (via WAS) Kris Wilkes UCLA SF/PF 6-8 205 20.1

DAL Carsen Edwards Purdue PG 6-0 196 20.7

ORL (via BKN) Tyus Battle Syracuse SG/SF 6-6 200 21.1

MIN (via MIA) Brandon Randolph Arizona SG 6-5 177 21.2

SAC (via MIN) Killian Tillie Gonzaga PF/C 6-10 230 20.5

SAS Sagaba Konate West Virginia C 6-8 246 21.6

MEM Brian Bowen Sydney SF 6-7 202 20.1

DET Dean Wade Kansas St PF 6-10 225 22.0

ATL (via LAL) Ky Bowman Boston College PG 6-1 182 21.4

ATL (via CHA) Kerwin Roach Texas PG/SG 6-3 160 22.0

NOP Admiral Schofield Tennessee SF/PF 6-5 238 21.6

UTA Jarrey Foster SMU SF 6-6 220 21.9

LAC (via POR) Cameron Johnson North Carolina SF/PF 6-9 210 22.7

NYK (via HOU) Dylan Windler Belmont SF 6-7 195 22.1

IND Matisse Thybulle Washington SF 6-6 201 21.7

PHI Aric Holman Mississippi St. PF 6-10 225 21.3

LAC Markis McDuffie Wichita St SF 6-8 185 21.2

OKC Adam Mokoka Mega Bemax SG 6-5 213 20.3

MEM (via BOS) Udoka Azubuike Kansas C 7-0 274 19.1

MIL (via DEN) Bruno Fernando Maryland C 6-10 233 20.2

GSW Louis Olinde Bamberg SF/PF 6-10 188 20.6

TOR Terence Davis Mississippi SG 6-4 208 21.5

SAC (via MIL) Yovel Zoosman Maccabi Tel Aviv SF 6-6 200 20.5

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:38 am
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm anybody subscribe to espn? they just put out a new 2 round mock and i'd like to see it. without spending $4.99 a month that is.

yes. i am that cheap.
According to google:
2019 NBA Mock Draft PICK PLAYER TEAM POS HT WT AGE

ATL Zion Williamson Duke PF 6-6 272 18.3

CHI RJ Barrett Duke SG/SF 6-7 208 18.4

PHX Nassir Little North Carolina SF 6-6 215 18.7

CLE Cam Reddish Duke SF 6-9 205 19.2

NYK Bol Bol Oregon C 7-2 222 19.0

BOS (via SAC) Romeo Langford Indiana SF 6-6 202 19.0

ORL Keldon Johnson Kentucky SF 6-6 210 19.1

WAS Sekou Doumbouya Limoges PF 6-9 210 17.9

ATL (via DAL) Kevin Porter USC PG/SG 6-6 217 18.5

BKN Ja Morant Murray St PG 6-3 170 19.2

MIA Darius Garland Vanderbilt PG 6-3 173 18.8

MIN Quentin Grimes Kansas SG 6-6 207 18.5

SAS De'Andre Hunter Virginia PF 6-8 222 20.9

BOS (via MEM) Rui Hachimura Gonzaga PF 6-9 234 20.8

DET Daniel Gafford Arkansas C 6-10 223 20.1

LAL Jarrett Culver Texas Tech SG 6-5 190 19.7

CHA Nickeil Alexander-Walker Virginia Tech PG/SG 6-6 200 20.2

NOP Jontay Porter Missouri C 6-11 236 19.0

UTA Luguentz Dort Arizona St SG 6-5 224 19.6

POR PJ Washington Kentucky PF 6-8 223 20.2

HOU Jalen Smith Maryland PF 6-10 196 18.6

IND Jalen McDaniels San Diego St SF/PF 6-10 190 20.8

PHI Eric Paschall Villanova PF 6-8 260 22.0

BOS (via LAC) Talen Horton-Tucker Iowa St SF 6-4 239 18.0

OKC Jalen Lecque Brewster Academy PG/SG 6-4 189 18.4

BOS Jaylen Hoard Wake Forest PF 6-9 219 19.6

BKN (via DEN) Luka Samanic Olimpija Ljubljana PF 6-11 210 18.8

GSW Darius Bazley N/A SF/PF 6-9 196 18.4

SAS (via TOR) Ty Jerome Virginia SG 6-5 200 21.3

MIL Brandon Clarke Gonzaga PF 6-8 210 22.1

ATL Naz Reid LSU PF/C 6-10 252 19.2

PHI (via CHI) Shamorie Ponds St. John's PG 6-1 175 20.4

PHX Isaiah Roby Nebraska PF 6-8 226 20.8

ORL (via CLE) Goga Bitadze Mega Bemax C 6-11 251 19.3

BKN (via NYK) Charles Matthews Michigan SF 6-6 180 22.0

PHI (via SAC) Dedric Lawson Kansas PF 6-8 225 21.1

SAC (via ORL) Charles Bassey Western Kentucky C 6-11 234 18.0

CHA (via WAS) Kris Wilkes UCLA SF/PF 6-8 205 20.1

DAL Carsen Edwards Purdue PG 6-0 196 20.7

ORL (via BKN) Tyus Battle Syracuse SG/SF 6-6 200 21.1

MIN (via MIA) Brandon Randolph Arizona SG 6-5 177 21.2

SAC (via MIN) Killian Tillie Gonzaga PF/C 6-10 230 20.5

SAS Sagaba Konate West Virginia C 6-8 246 21.6

MEM Brian Bowen Sydney SF 6-7 202 20.1

DET Dean Wade Kansas St PF 6-10 225 22.0

ATL (via LAL) Ky Bowman Boston College PG 6-1 182 21.4

ATL (via CHA) Kerwin Roach Texas PG/SG 6-3 160 22.0

NOP Admiral Schofield Tennessee SF/PF 6-5 238 21.6

UTA Jarrey Foster SMU SF 6-6 220 21.9

LAC (via POR) Cameron Johnson North Carolina SF/PF 6-9 210 22.7

NYK (via HOU) Dylan Windler Belmont SF 6-7 195 22.1

IND Matisse Thybulle Washington SF 6-6 201 21.7

PHI Aric Holman Mississippi St. PF 6-10 225 21.3

LAC Markis McDuffie Wichita St SF 6-8 185 21.2

OKC Adam Mokoka Mega Bemax SG 6-5 213 20.3

MEM (via BOS) Udoka Azubuike Kansas C 7-0 274 19.1

MIL (via DEN) Bruno Fernando Maryland C 6-10 233 20.2

GSW Louis Olinde Bamberg SF/PF 6-10 188 20.6

TOR Terence Davis Mississippi SG 6-4 208 21.5

SAC (via MIL) Yovel Zoosman Maccabi Tel Aviv SF 6-6 200 20.5
Knicks rollin into next year with a -

Durant
Porzingis
Bol Bol

Front court...
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Smith and Fernando on Maryland will be at the barn tonight.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:51 am Smith and Fernando on Maryland will be at the barn tonight.
Seen a lot of them this year. Smith looks like he has a solid upside but I'd love to get Bruno on the Wolves. We so desperately need an athletic strong big. He's certainly on my top 5 list for that.