Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Butler requests trade -- Butler traded to Philly 11/10 update

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Pacman

Re: Butler requests trade -- Houston offering 4 first rounders 10/25 update

Post by Pacman »

Holy fuck if we turned Lavine/Dunn/7 into Chriss + Knight and late round draft picks I'd asphyxiate myself
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:32 am
j2j wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 am Kris Dunn can't hit the broadside of the barn and has been a net negative player through 3 years. By taking him we passed on Jamal Murray and Buddy Hield, two guys many of us wanted. Not sure how that's considered a "decent pick".
I'm positive that thibs picked dunn because he thought of Rose. Yet another example of his inability to get over the bulls. We were fine at pg and desperately needed shooting. Flip would've taken Murray.

Rubio/jones
Lavine\Murray
Wiggins
Markaanen
Towns

That's a nice young core that would probably be ready to push for the playoffs. Fuck thibs. He ruined everything.
LOL...please break down the Dunn/Rose comparison?! I mean other than them being completely opposite players, both coming out and immediate impact, how was Thibs thinking Dunn somehow reminded him of Rose? Oh wait, don't bother...because it's not possible to compare the two. Jesus Christ, some people's bias in here makes them say the dumbest shit ever.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 am
Give us Richardson, Olynyk, and a 1st and lets go!
Corre Ricky Corre

j2j wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 am Kris Dunn can't hit the broadside of the barn and has been a net negative player through 3 years. By taking him we passed on Jamal Murray and Buddy Hield, two guys many of us wanted. Not sure how that's considered a "decent pick".
I'm positive that thibs picked dunn because he thought of Rose. Yet another example of his inability to get over the bulls. We were fine at pg and desperately needed shooting. Flip would've taken Murray.

Rubio/jones
Lavine\Murray
Wiggins
Markaanen
Towns

That's a nice young core that would probably be ready to push for the playoffs. Fuck thibs. He ruined everything.
That might be the worst defensive team in NBA history.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Richardson and Whiteside or bust.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Rubio/jones
Lavine\Murray
Wiggins
Markaanen
Towns

Perhaps, but the reality is, if we paid Lavine the same amount that he is currently getting, we probably can't afford to re-sign both Rubio & Murray anyway.
So, we would have Rubio today in the last year of his deal. Do you trade him in season and take a step back in order to recoup something of value and not lose him next year in FA (lots of teams with cap space), or do you let this season play out and lose him next year for nothing?

So it's not like that core can be sustained long term anyway, and it's also not good enough to win a title this year before we have to start dismantling.

Just saying.
Corre Ricky Corre

The Miami Heat have re-opened talks for Minnesota Timberwolves swingman Jimmy Butler after the Wolves turned down a reported offer of Marquese Chriss, Brandon Knight and four first-round picks from the Houston Rockets, according to Lefty Leif of 5 Reasons Sports, seconded by ESPN’s Stefano Fusaro.

According to Thursday’s report, the Rockets would wait until the end of the month until the two-month anniversary of Chriss’ and Knights’ acquisition, making them tradable assets for the first time, and serving as salary-matching pieces to Butler’s $38.5 million that remain in his contract.

The Heat have put themselves back in the race after having tried plenty of revisited offers for Butler, quickly becoming the hardest-charging franchise in request for his services after his request became public.

President Pat Riley is looking for a culture-setter, given that this is expected to be Dwyane Wade’s last season in the NBA and now in need of someone to take the torch for the future to put his team in playoff contention.

The Heat’s last offer included caving on three-and-D extraordinaire Josh Richardson and shooting guard Dion Waiters along with a protected first-round pick. A revised offer reportedly packaged Richardson, center Kelly Olynyk and a first-rounder, but they all got the boot from president Tom Thibodeau, who is quarterbacking operations in trade talks.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 am
Suppose we can thank the Rockets for offering something, because I think Riley will finally bend over and pull his pants down. We could get a haul from them. Riley knows they can be top 5 team in the East with Butler, Dragic, and Whiteside. Give us Richardson, Winslow, Olynick, and a 1st, for Butler, Dieng, and a 2.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Butler for 4 first and Gordon
Wiggins and a first for Richardson
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
j2j

Post by j2j »

And here we go...
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Corre Ricky Corre

j2j wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:19 amAnd here we go...
Give em up, Miami!

Richardson, Bam, 1st... DONE DEAL.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:58 am Richardson and Whiteside or bust.
It's always been the only deal for me. Well, not just me but the deal I think all parties would sign off on.

But plan A for me is still play it out and trade Towns not Butler. So many excuse makers for Towns I'm sure there are GM's who would do the same and pay us big for him. But that is unlikely so to hedge all bets I'd take the Mia deal.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 am
It's always been the only deal for me. Well, not just me but the deal I think all parties would sign off on.

But plan A for me is still play it out and trade Towns not Butler. So many excuse makers for Towns I'm sure there are GM's who would do the same and pay us big for him. But that is unlikely so to hedge all bets I'd take the Mia deal.
Maybe throw in a swap deal... Timberwolves can swap picks with Heat one year if the Heat pick before the Wolves.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Yeah, Towns is not getting traded although if Taylor remains tied to Thibs.. by all means.... do whatever he wants to win in the short term. Trade Towns for Marc Gasol and Wiggins/Gibson to Charlotte for Batum and a shit contract. Let's GO! :lol:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:41 am

Maybe throw in a swap deal... Timberwolves can swap picks with Heat one year if the Heat pick before the Wolves.
If an added pick is the sticking point then that might be a compromise but it would have to stretch out for years and I don't think Mia would want to do that because they will want to use their picks in deals for vets in the coming years if they go all in.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am

Yeah, Towns is not getting traded although if Taylor remains tied to Thibs.. by all means.... do whatever he wants to win in the short term. Trade Towns for Marc Gasol and Wiggins/Gibson to Charlotte for Batum and a shit contract. Let's GO! :lol:
Can't trade Towns until next offseason and the teams that Butler named first that have big space could put together a pretty nice package for him while also giving us space. Or you know, just act like we would trade him for washed up guys and avoid any rational discussion.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am

Can't trade Towns until next offseason and the teams that Butler named first that have big space could put together a pretty nice package for him while also giving us space. Or you know, just act like we would trade him for washed up guys and avoid any rational discussion.
He can get traded this season. It was discussed plenty last year with Wiggins... and Winslow is still getting talked about despite his extension. Poison pill...Towns cap number now is his salary this year + an average of his next contract divided by six.

Better chance Taylor sells than Towns gets traded.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 am

Rubio/jones
Lavine\Murray
Wiggins
Markaanen
Towns

That's funny, people think defense still matters in the NBA in 2018.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:54 am
He can get traded this season. It was discussed plenty last year with Wiggins... and Winslow is still getting talked about despite his extension. Poison pill...Towns cap number now is his salary this year + an average of his next contract divided by six.

Are you sure? I thought when a guy signed an extension that doesn't kick in until next year you have to wait until it kicks in. But I do remember the pill on Winslow so you are probably right. Then I would trade Towns. Absolutely no doubt.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Dan33185 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Rubio/jones
Lavine\Murray
Wiggins
Markaanen
Towns

It matters in the playoffs, which is the only thing that actually matters.
I don't even watch regular season basketball anymore outside of the Wolves.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:45 am
thinktank wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am
larryhagmansliver wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 am

You're replying to statements that haven't been made?

Also you're aware that the Wolves aren't obligated to keep all the picks right? The value in this trade is not waiting out to see what we get with the four picks. it's the flexibility they give you. For instance, what do our pick, the Houston 2019 & 2021 get you come June next year? Your too one dimensional in your approach to this.
I’m comparing those picks to the value of JRich now.
Ah okay, so you created a new context for the posts you replied to.
thinktank wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am The picks have the same value to other teams as they do to us.

It’s not like magically those picks become valuable when you offer them to another team.
There you go again, I must admit I admire your conviction. You're like Descartes for the Trump age... I think, therefore it's true.
Think of it this way:

Those picks are so bad that Houston has to offer the maximum amount of picks allowable under the CBA.
That's one way to look at it I guess.
I’m not going to ignore the other trades out there, the competition, the market, whatever you want to call it. In evaluating Houston’s deal you have to compare it to what else is available.

As for how other teams value those picks, yeah, their value may change slightly but I doubt it changes them much. They’re still 20th to 30th picks.
larryhagmansliver

Post by larryhagmansliver »

thinktank wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:08 pm
larryhagmansliver wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:45 am

I’m comparing those picks to the value of JRich now.
Ah okay, so you created a new context for the posts you replied to.
thinktank wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am The picks have the same value to other teams as they do to us.

It’s not like magically those picks become valuable when you offer them to another team.
There you go again, I must admit I admire your conviction. You're like Descartes for the Trump age... I think, therefore it's true.
Think of it this way:

Those picks are so bad that Houston has to offer the maximum amount of picks allowable under the CBA.
That's one way to look at it I guess.
I’m not going to ignore the other trades out there, the competition, the market, whatever you want to call it. In evaluating Houston’s deal you have to compare it to what else is available.

As for how other teams value those picks, yeah, their value may change slightly but I doubt it changes them much. They’re still 20th to 30th picks.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:17 pm Image
:lol:

Don’t ignore the elephant in your room, which is the Butler market, in this case.
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

Rubio/jones
Lavine\Murray
Wiggins
Markaanen
Towns

Defense is all but outlawed in this fuckin league anyways. Utah has nothing but solid defensive players across the board and they're giving up 120's as well now. It's a joke.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
j2j

Post by j2j »

Dan33185 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Rubio/jones
Lavine\Murray
Wiggins
Markaanen
Towns

The 5 best team defensive ratings(and defensive eFG%) of the last 4 years are from this year(yes we're only 5 games in and small sample size), of course so are the 10 worst defensive ratings of the last 4 years.

I dont think the value of defense has change, just that the pace of play this year skyrocketed.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

It's funny to me that a fanbase that witnessed as many draft busts as the Wolves have would be salivating over ANY draft picks, let alone ones coming from a team that we would help become the 2nd best team in the league.

Flynn, Wes, Dwill, Dunn, rubio, Foye, ellington, bazz, G, are now all at best players you can pick up in free agency without breaking the bank. Let's get at best 4 more!

And hey, maybe the rockets will suck in 2023! Wooooo!!!
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

t_wrex wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:31 pm It's funny to me that a fanbase that witnessed as many draft busts as the Wolves have would be salivating over ANY draft picks, let alone ones coming from a team that we would help become the 2nd best team in the league.

Flynn, Wes, Dwill, Dunn, rubio, Foye, ellington, bazz, G, are now all at best players you can pick up in free agency without breaking the bank. Let's get at best 4 more!

I never agree with you but you nailed this take to the wall.

:thumbsup:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:05 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:54 am

Are you sure? I thought when a guy signed an extension that doesn't kick in until next year you have to wait until it kicks in. But I do remember the pill on Winslow so you are probably right. Then I would trade Towns. Absolutely no doubt.
For? Don't say Jaylen Brown.
Corre Ricky Corre

The Athletic
(@TheAthleticMIN)
Jimmy Butler is listed as questionable for tonight’s game with an illness
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:49 pm
t_wrex wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:31 pm It's funny to me that a fanbase that witnessed as many draft busts as the Wolves have would be salivating over ANY draft picks, let alone ones coming from a team that we would help become the 2nd best team in the league.

I never agree with you but you nailed this take to the wall.

:thumbsup:
And he didn't even mention the ones that Taylor sold.