Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kessler vs Gobert season stats

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Beef Supreme

Re: Kessler vs Gobert season stats

Post by Beef Supreme »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:22 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:03 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:50 pm Yeah, then he loses effectiveness. You wouldn't have to guard him in the paint. Lets hope he becomes more than a $50 million dollar shooter.
I hope you're right, and he ages well. I won't be terribly upset if he's traded this offseason depending on how this season plays out. Get a good deal for him while we can.
???

He can post up and pick and roll/pop too.
His post game is iffy IMHO. The pick and pop he does well, but if he doesn't roll then he's not going to be guarded. Going to the basket is where he picks up the stupid fouls. Don't get me wrong, don't just dump him, but he needs to step up when Ant is out of the game. Flailing on the way to the basket is not effort. Stay under control, make solid decisions. And please stop trying the over the head passes.
I draw a distinction between rolling on the pick and roll and driving off the dribble. I think they’re different skillsets. I would expect him to continue to roll, pop, post up, cut, run the floor in transition, hit trailing 3s in transition, and spot up. Plenty of options for offense if the dribble-drive game is reduced.

I thought he gave the Wolves a chance to win yesterday and has carried the team to victories with Edwards out. Guys just didn’t hit shots around him and he started to press. You’ve got to hit shots or teams can swarm him. That’s what happened. We didn’t hit shots.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Kessler has a shot at a Mutumbo triple-double tonight. 7 blocks going into the 4th.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i don't really care what rudy's stats are. i just want him on the court in the last six minutes of the 4th quarter with at least two fouls to give. last night he only had one foul to give--but it wasn't a clutch time game either.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:21 am i don't really care what rudy's stats are. i just want him on the court in the last six minutes of the 4th quarter with at least two fouls to give. last night he only had one foul to give--but it wasn't a clutch time game either.
Yep - One needs to use the eye test vs. the stat sheet to really appreciate what Gobert brings to the table.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:55 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:21 am i don't really care what rudy's stats are. i just want him on the court in the last six minutes of the 4th quarter with at least two fouls to give. last night he only had one foul to give--but it wasn't a clutch time game either.
Yep - One needs to use the eye test vs. the stat sheet to really appreciate what Gobert brings to the table.
He is definitely a guy for whom it’s hard to quantify his contributions.

I think there will be big games where Rudy has his stamp all over it, even without a monstrous statline. But there will also be games where, due to matchups or whatever, that it’s not his night. And we have Towns and Reid for those nights.

That’s the real beauty of this team. So versatile. I want Finchy at the controls of that and the players need to buy into it as well. Any player on the team might find themselves on the pine in crunch time, if the game warrants it. And I think so long as we’re getting Ws, they’ll accept it.

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

As someone who doesn't get a chance to see many NBA games, I would love for some of you guys to break down what exactly this means when compared to what Kessler is doing in Utah.

What I see from Kessler's boxscore last night is 10 pts, 10 boards, 4 assists, 7 blocks and +23.

How much of the hidden stuff that Rudy does that doesn't show up in the boxscore actually exists vs what Kessler would provide?
I get that it can't necessarily be quantified, but how significant of a difference are we really talking about here?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:35 am

I think there will be big games where Rudy has his stamp all over it, even without a monstrous statline. But there will also be games where, due to matchups or whatever, that it’s not his night. And we have Towns and Reid for those nights.

That’s the real beauty of this team. So versatile. I want Finchy at the controls of that and the players need to buy into it as well. Any player on the team might find themselves on the pine in crunch time, if the game warrants it. And I think so long as we’re getting Ws, they’ll accept it.
As an outsider looking in, it appears & sounds like these players all have each other's backs. Plus, as Naz Reid pointed out the other week, they are all paid and don't have to worry about their next contract. Not having players that are needing to get the minutes and opportunities to raise their personal stock in order to maximize an upcoming contract is a part that I wasn't appreciating until Naz brought that up in a post game interview.

I see a player like Rudy being absolutely A-OK sitting on a night when the defense is playing strong without him and Naz is on fire. I see Ant being just has animated watching Conley be the one who hit the dagger late in the game last night than he would have been if it was him who did it. I see Kyle Anderson having absolutely no problem having his minutes reduced now that they're at full strength and TBJ has shown he needs to be on the floor. It's been a beautiful thing.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:41 am
As someone who doesn't get a chance to see many NBA games, I would love for some of you guys to break down what exactly this means when compared to what Kessler is doing in Utah.

What I see from Kessler's boxscore last night is 10 pts, 10 boards, 4 assists, 7 blocks and +23.

How much of the hidden stuff that Rudy does that doesn't show up in the boxscore actually exists vs what Kessler would provide?
I get that it can't necessarily be quantified, but how significant of a difference are we really talking about here?
that's a very good stat line. if he brings that every night he's doing his job quite well. rudy's influencing games with shots not taken, shots altered and being in the other team's collective heads when they're in their half court offense. can't say that utah fans are going to be all that disappointed when they get games like that from their big guy though.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:46 am

As an outsider looking in, it appears & sounds like these players all have each other's backs. Plus, as Naz Reid pointed out the other week, they are all paid and don't have to worry about their next contract. Not having players that are needing to get the minutes and opportunities to raise their personal stock in order to maximize an upcoming contract is a part that I wasn't appreciating until Naz brought that up in a post game interview.

I see a player like Rudy being absolutely A-OK sitting on a night when the defense is playing strong without him and Naz is on fire. I see Ant being just has animated watching Conley be the one who hit the dagger late in the game last night than he would have been if it was him who did it. I see Kyle Anderson having absolutely no problem having his minutes reduced now that they're at full strength and TBJ has shown he needs to be on the floor. It's been a beautiful thing.
I hadn’t considered the contract angle, but it’s a good one. Everyone on the team is fairly compensated. There’s no stud on a rookie deal waiting for security. There’s no dinosaur on a massive legacy contract not pulling their own weight.

It’s a good thing right now.

- Isaac Asimov
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

NAW under contract through next season, then maybe he gets paid by someone else. Hope not.

Kyle gone.

Team options for next season for Shake, Wendell and Troy.

Basically, this squad, unless cap is an issue, can all come back depending how the Conley thing goes.
witljon

Post by witljon »

January of last season, Charles Barkley called the Wolves trade for Rudy Gobert the worst trade in NBA history and a stupid trade.
Has he made any kind of comment on it this season?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:37 am

January of last season, Charles Barkley called the Wolves trade for Rudy Gobert the worst trade in NBA history and a stupid trade.
No idea. Barkley is entertaining, but his takes are all over the place.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:38 am

I’m a big Barkley fan. And it doesn’t bother me when he talks negatively about the Wolves. He’s very entertaining.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:46 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:38 am

I’m a big Barkley fan. And it doesn’t bother me when he talks negatively about the Wolves. He’s very entertaining.
Agreed. He’s a force of nature to be appreciated.

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Random thought that popped up in my brain when watching the game last night. What say you?..

If given the choice between -

1. Rudy is guaranteed to hit 1 out of 2 FTs every time he goes to the line but only 1 out of 2. He will never make both. He will always make 1.

2. Rudy shooting at his current 63% clip.

Which would you choose?
BBG

Post by BBG »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:17 pm Random thought that popped up in my brain when watching the game last night. What say you?..

If given the choice between -

1. Rudy is guaranteed to hit 1 out of 2 FTs every time he goes to the line but only 1 out of 2. He will never make both. He will always make 1.

2. Rudy shooting at his current 63% clip.

Which would you choose?
63%

There will be playoff games that ride on Rudy making his FT
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

brittrobson
@brittrobson
Can't remember Gobert's last really outlier bad game. He's just been a steady force of defensive excellence for weeks now.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

lulz.

Spoiler:
Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
I wonder how many players have not been an all star and ended up getting on the MVP ballot. Feels like Gobert could have a couple 5th place votes by season’s end, and he isn’t an all star.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

salamander

Post by salamander »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:46 pm lulz.

Spoiler:
Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
I wonder how many players have not been an all star and ended up getting on the MVP ballot. Feels like Gobert could have a couple 5th place votes by season’s end, and he isn’t an all star.
I love this guy.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll put this here. rudy probably needs his own thread though. not one where he's being compared to kessler.

BBG

Post by BBG »

A whole lot of dudes were on that " worst trade in NBA history" shit

Rudy was clutch at the line yesterday and proved he won't get played off the floor like he did in Utah
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

more fuel for the fire.

BBG

Post by BBG »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:26 pm more fuel for the fire.

KAT is right above pat bev :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

this whole latest player induced kerfluffle about Rudy is just weird - and maybe a reflection of a baseline IQ level around the league. how do you NOT give Rudy his props when he anchors one of the best defensive teams the league has seen in years? Especially after opposing coaches and players rave about how hard it is to score on us - and Rudy - after playing us?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

He's not an African American is my guess, he's not part of the club. Plus everyone hates the French.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Players REALLY hate Rudy if they can't even stick Poole above him.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Rudy doesn't ummm make da buckets derefore he suuuuucks dur dur dur.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm Rudy doesn't ummm make da buckets derefore he suuuuucks dur dur dur.
I mean, some of these guys should figure it out. Most of them can't score at a 25+ per game clip and make the top tier star money. Rudy focuses on defense and pulls in a nice 40+ million a season.

PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

Walker Kessler can't stay on the floor. Maybe he will improve, but I'm not worried about him being on Rudy's level anytime soon