Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Why isn't this being talked about?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Why isn't this being talked about?

Post by hategreenticemase »

4th picks in the draft do not grow on trees. Deep QB drafts do not grow on trees.

So, what has baffled me is this - why is no one talking about Cardinals should move on from Murray and draft a QB? New GM, why is he not moving on?
William Munny

Re: Why isn't this being talked about?

Post by William Munny »

That was last months rumor.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 am 4th picks in the draft do not grow on trees. Deep QB drafts do not grow on trees.

So, what has baffled me is this - why is no one talking about Cardinals should move on from Murray and draft a QB? New GM, why is he not moving on?
Have you looked at the contract? Are they tied to huge money?

Did he play well enough last year to give them hope?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

minnemike wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:07 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 am 4th picks in the draft do not grow on trees. Deep QB drafts do not grow on trees.

I had AZ in the froob draft so did some looking into...

Next two years are guaranteed, but they have a window after this upcoming season to release him prior to his 2026 season becoming guaranteed.
His 2025 guarantee is $29M, which they're on the hook for no matter what, and 2026 is $39M.

If he plays badly this year, it's very easy to release him and just owe $29M.
However, if he plays well, $29M and $39M respectively over the next two seasons is actually pretty damn nice considering where QB contracts are going.

The "intel" I gathered was that they seem to understand that the best value for them is to try and make things work with Kyler.
Gannon supposedly likes that he plays "similarly" to how Hurts does in Phi, where Gannon came from.
There's also reports that Murray is working real hard this offseason and wants to continue to build on his early successes.

So instead of addressing QB, I instead chose to invest in offensive playmakers (Harrison at 4, Jermaine Burton in RD3 and Audric Estime in RD6) as well as DL (3 total DE/Edges drafted in RDs 2-4, plus a NT in RD5) and give Murray the best chance to succeed.
Penix was still on the board in RD2 as well and though tempting, I even passed on that.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:18 am

Next two years are guaranteed, but they have a window after this upcoming season to release him prior to his 2026 season becoming guaranteed.
His 2025 guarantee is $29M, which they're on the hook for no matter what, and 2026 is $39M.

However, if he plays well, $29M and $39M respectively over the next two seasons is actually pretty damn nice considering where QB contracts are going.

The "intel" I gathered was that they seem to understand that the best value for them is to try and make things work with Kyler.
Gannon supposedly likes that he plays "similarly" to how Hurts does in Phi, where Gannon came from.
There's also reports that Murray is working real hard this offseason and wants to continue to build on his early successes.

So instead of addressing QB, I instead chose to invest in offensive playmakers (Harrison at 4, Jermaine Burton in RD3 and Audric Estime in RD6) as well as DL (3 total DE/Edges drafted in RDs 2-4, plus a NT in RD5) and give Murray the best chance to succeed.
Penix was still on the board in RD2 as well and though tempting, I even passed on that.
That all makes sense for them
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Yeah… Gannon loves him and he was actually a little bit of a spark when he came back to the team last season. He at least made them somewhat competitive. I think he has a ton of talent. Just don’t think he’s invested enough in the game to be a franchise quarterback.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:17 pm

Yeah… Gannon loves him and he was actually a little bit of a spark when he came back to the team last season. He at least made them somewhat competitive. I think he has a ton of talent. Just don’t think he’s invested enough in the game to be a franchise quarterback.
He's certainly a spark plug compared to what they were trotting out previously, but that's also not the same thing as saying he's a bonafide "franchise QB" either.
But considering the investment you already have in the guy, and considering the recent reclamations we've seen on guys like Geno and Baker, they may as well see get a fuller look before making a decision.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I have the same question marks about Murray. If I was the GM I don't think I could ignore that knowing I'm a lock for one of the top 4 QB's.

It's gonna be hard to compete at a high level in this league if the QB isn't totally obsessed with being great.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:27 pm

He's certainly a spark plug compared to what they were trotting out previously, but that's also not the same thing as saying he's a bonafide "franchise QB" either.
But considering the investment you already have in the guy, and considering the recent reclamations we've seen on guys like Geno and Baker, they may as well see get a fuller look before making a decision.
That's exactly what's gonna happen.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Interesting, I didnt realize Gannon was so high on him. I guess you have to trust that, but its a big gamble to not get in on next possible good qb to develop. That said, I guess with Harrison being as cant miss you at least feel good about getting that sort of talent.

I just dont see Murray making it, but maybe this will be the correct set of ingredients for him.

Giants are the other one - why are they not a no brainer to go qb?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:28 pm

I have the same question marks about Murray. If I was the GM I don't think I could ignore that knowing I'm a lock for one of the top 4 QB's.

It's gonna be hard to compete at a high level in this league if the QB isn't totally obsessed with being great.
I totally get what you're saying, but then you almost have to question taking the job in the first place.

This was a major talking point when Kyler signed his extension, which included a TON of deferred cap hits.
Then, he tears his acl in Dec of 2022.

Monti takes the job just a month later.

That's a pretty questionable decision for Monti. I get that you never know when another GM offer may come so you may have to jump when one comes, but at the same time there's also something to be said for not tying so much of your legacy up in a guy if you don't trust him.

If they draft a QB at 4 and let Kyler go next year, they still incur a $63M dead cap hit AND they lose out on the chance of drafting Marvin Harrison Jr.
If you're going to go through that much, was it really worth taking the job in the first place?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

AZ needs to take that OSU kid and forget about it.

He’s a home run. Could you imagine if the Vikes had a chance to get him? Wow. You could have a shitty QB like Culpepper heaving it up and having the two best WR in football grab them all.

Sam Darnold would be the QB of the highest scoring offense in the NFL.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Here’s something that no one is talking about. My sleeper QB in this draft is Michael Pratt. Historically, a QB or two becomes a franchise guy in the middle rounds. My money is on Pratt. I think he is a high character player that can run a pro style offense. Very cerebral.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:53 pm Here’s something that no one is talking about. My sleeper QB in this draft is Michael Pratt. Historically, a QB or two becomes a franchise guy in the middle rounds. My money is on Pratt. I think he is a high character player that can run a pro style offense. Very cerebral.
Historically, one or two quarterbacks drafted in the middle rounds becomes a franchise player per decade. Not per draft. Maybe it’s Pratt. IDK. Maybe it’s Jordan Travis when he gets healthy.

But the odds are strongly against them.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:57 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:53 pm Here’s something that no one is talking about. My sleeper QB in this draft is Michael Pratt. Historically, a QB or two becomes a franchise guy in the middle rounds. My money is on Pratt. I think he is a high character player that can run a pro style offense. Very cerebral.
Historically, one or two quarterbacks drafted in the middle rounds becomes a franchise player per decade. Not per draft. Maybe it’s Pratt. IDK. Maybe it’s Jordan Travis when he gets healthy.

But the odds are strongly against them.
Maybe… but I’m high on Pratt. Love his story. Kids a gamer and reminds me of Purdy.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Even with the very large cap hits, the Cardinals can still carry his contract. $49 million this year. $45.6 million in 2025. $55.5 in 2026. The cash payments per year are $35 million. All of his 2025 compensation guaranteed 3/17/24 so they have that $30 million lump to contend with.

But I do agree the course of action is to draft Marvin Harrison at #4 and put the skilled players with Murray and see if he can do it. But all of Murray's contract values are guaranteed the YEAR before. That is, his 2026 compensation of $40.8 will guarantee 3.17.25 so this is a one year window to see results. It will be an expensive salary dump if they have to jettison him, $30 million out of the owners bank account and a total of $63 million in dead cap (very front loaded to 2024) but that is what happens from time to time.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 am

Even with the very large cap hits, the Cardinals can still carry his contract. $49 million this year. $45.6 million in 2025. $55.5 in 2026. The cash payments per year are $35 million. All of his 2025 compensation guaranteed 3/17/24 so they have that $30 million lump to contend with.

But I do agree the course of action is to draft Marvin Harrison at #4 and put the skilled players with Murray and see if he can do it. But all of Murray's contract values are guaranteed the YEAR before. That is, his 2026 compensation of $40.8 will guarantee 3.17.25 so this is a one year window to see results. It will be an expensive salary dump if they have to jettison him, $30 million out of the owners bank account and a total of $63 million in dead cap (very front loaded to 2024) but that is what happens from time to time.
Yep… I think it’s definitely shit or get off the pot time for Kyler this year.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I'd draft a QB in Rd 1, and then another one in later rounds like Rattler/Travis/Pratt. Worked for Washington when they took RGIII and Chainz.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am I'd draft a QB in Rd 1, and then another one in later rounds like Rattler/Travis/Pratt. Worked for Washington when they took RGIII and Chainz.
If their defense wasn’t completely void of DTs and CBs, I’d be good with that, but we need significant help on that side of the ball and another G/C.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:26 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am I'd draft a QB in Rd 1, and then another one in later rounds like Rattler/Travis/Pratt. Worked for Washington when they took RGIII and Chainz.
If their defense wasn’t completely void of DTs and CBs, I’d be good with that, but we need significant help on that side of the ball and another G/C.
That's true. However, I feel like only 30% of the mid to late round picks pan out anyway. Why not take a shot

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

The QB Double is not a bad strategy if the right player is available at the right spot. The problem with the VIkings is they do not have the Day 2 picks and that puts pressure on them getting value in the early Day 3 picks to address depth issues.

I think Rattler could be off the board late 2nd - 3rd. I think he is a douche bag and loses all of his mechanics under pressure (he backs up and goes straight up into the air, instead of driving the ball).

Travis lacks a lot of refinement as a quarterback. He is a tough mofo though.

Pratt is mediocre at best. Why draft him instead of spending another Jaren Hall development year?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

maybe because Pratt at age 22 has twice the experience that Hall has at 26.

Also, what other than Rattler's Netflix HS show fiasco are you basing your opinion on about his character? For every bad story about what a douche he is, there are opposing viewpoints from people who have worked with him or met him that claim the opposite and say he's matured a lot since he was a brash 17 year old. As we all hopefully do.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 am
The QB Double is not a bad strategy if the right player is available at the right spot. The problem with the VIkings is they do not have the Day 2 picks and that puts pressure on them getting value in the early Day 3 picks to address depth issues.

I think Rattler could be off the board late 2nd - 3rd. I think he is a douche bag and loses all of his mechanics under pressure (he backs up and goes straight up into the air, instead of driving the ball).

Travis lacks a lot of refinement as a quarterback. He is a tough mofo though.

Pratt is mediocre at best. Why draft him instead of spending another Jaren Hall development year?
Yeah, I don't know if going into the draft with that strategy is ideal, but if it plays out a certain way and a situation to draft another potential cheap backup QB falls into your lap, I wouldn't mind them taking it. There's a good aftermarket for potential starting QB's who are backups to star/starting QB's–Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Mallett, Russ Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, ect.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 pm

Yeah, I don't know if going into the draft with that strategy is ideal, but if it plays out a certain way and a situation to draft another potential cheap backup QB falls into your lap, I wouldn't mind them taking it. There's a good aftermarket for potential starting QB's who are backups to star/starting QB's–Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Mallett, Russ Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, ect.
One of the foundations of the Vikings QB draft strategy are these two truths:

The Sam Darnold Level and the Jaren Hall Level.

The Sam Darnold level is don't draft a QB just to draft a QB if in reality you cannot project him higher than Sam Darnold. That is every QB after QB5, Michael Penix.

The Jaren Hall Level is it is doubtful that in Day 3 of the draft you can find a QB that is much better than Jaren Hall, and the value of adding another position to create depth there is much more substantial.

I will give an example. I would not draft Bo Nix because I think he fails the Sam Darnold Level test. But, lets say late in the 4th round if he is available (very unlikely) I think he surpasses the Jaren Hall level and I would consider drafting him even if we drafted a QB much earlier.

With our two picks in the 4th I would rather go wide receiver, running back, offensive line, or defensive line than draft a developmental backup QB like Travis Jordan. There are Travis Jordans and Michael Pratts available in every draft. We have Jaren Hall lets see if he can develop a bit. If not, in 2025 with multiple 5th rounders we could potentially cast out again for that type of QB.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 pm

The Sam Darnold level is don't draft a QB just to draft a QB if in reality you cannot project him higher than Sam Darnold. That is every QB after QB5, Michael Penix.

The Jaren Hall Level is it is doubtful that in Day 3 of the draft you can find a QB that is much better than Jaren Hall, and the value of adding another position to create depth there is much more substantial.

I will give an example. I would not draft Bo Nix because I think he fails the Sam Darnold Level test. But, lets say late in the 4th round if he is available (very unlikely) I think he surpasses the Jaren Hall level and I would consider drafting him even if we drafted a QB much earlier.

With our two picks in the 4th I would rather go wide receiver, running back, offensive line, or defensive line than draft a developmental backup QB like Travis Jordan. There are Travis Jordans and Michael Pratts available in every draft. We have Jaren Hall lets see if he can develop a bit. If not, in 2025 with multiple 5th rounders we could potentially cast out again for that type of QB.
Yeah, I pretty much agree. The "Sam Darnold Level" is a good articulation.

Honestly, I'd take BPA at 11 and 23 if NE, LAC, or ARZ want too much, or aren't willing to trade and I'd roll with Darnold. I'd rather trade 11 and 23 for Harrison at 4 then for JJ at 5. That would be a formidable Offense and you'd have leverage vs Jefferson to sign for less (if the deal isn't finalized) or get a return.

Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:29 pm

Honestly, I'd take BPA at 11 and 23 if NE, LAC, or ARZ want too much, or aren't willing to trade and I'd roll with Darnold. I'd rather trade 11 and 23 for Harrison at 4 then for JJ at 5. That would be a formidable Offense and you'd have leverage vs Jefferson to sign for less (if the deal isn't finalized) or get a return.
No way JJ signs for less.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 pm

Rumor is JJ won’t resign here. Wants to play the year out and cash in huge elsewhere.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:47 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 pm

Rumor is JJ won’t resign here. Wants to play the year out and cash in huge elsewhere.
Well then guess we better trade him and get something for him. Not sure I believe the rumors, but I wouldn't rule it out.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I’m so sick of hearing about Jefferson and his deal not getting done. Dude is turning into a head case. What’s going to happen if the new QB isn’t good? Is JJ going to cry and force a trade?

It rarely works paying a player that much dough that isn’t a rockstar QB. If there really is a problem, trade him and pick #23 for #3.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm I’m so sick of hearing about Jefferson and his deal not getting done. Dude is turning into a head case. What’s going to happen if the new QB isn’t good? Is JJ going to cry and force a trade?

It rarely works paying a player that much dough that isn’t a rockstar QB. If there really is a problem, trade him and pick #23 for #3.
:lol: He'd be so much happier in NE with a shitty offense.