Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Small Hands

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by Small Hands »

witljon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:06 am
Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:51 am
mlhouse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:51 pm

No way. They aren't throwing into Big Ten coverage and much tighter windows.

Daniels has significant mechanical issues, especially a looping throwing motion. Maye has TERRIBLE footwork and had terrible accuracy issues this past season. Penix has a terrible arm angle that simply is almost impossible to make work in the NFL (he throws the ball basically sidearm on every delivery).

The issues that McCarthy has with mechanics are minor and very fixable. I think Maye's footwork can be fixed too but more difficult.
Daniels mechanics are a concern, but he consistently hit tight window throws outside the numbers 20+ yards downfield. Some beautiful back shoulder fades to Nabers downfield. He has elite arm talent.

You’re knocking Maye for footwork. We are talking arm talent here. You and I both know footwork is one of the easiest things to correct, and once done, the accuracy issues will dissipate.

Several QBs in the NFL have been successful with bad arm angles. You like Rivers arm angles?
Daniels did not exactly look like an accurate passer in the game I watched him, but I only seen him in one game. And if he’s going to be the second QB selected, I don’t think his mechanics are a concern.
He’s as good as anyone at completing deep tight window throws in this draft. My only concern with him is his frame and he needs to tighten up his throwing motion.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 am

Daniels mechanics are a concern, but he consistently hit tight window throws outside the numbers 20+ yards downfield. Some beautiful back shoulder fades to Nabers downfield. He has elite arm talent.

You’re knocking Maye for footwork. We are talking arm talent here. You and I both know footwork is one of the easiest things to correct, and once done, the accuracy issues will dissipate.

Several QBs in the NFL have been successful with bad arm angles. You like Rivers arm angles?
Daniels did not exactly look like an accurate passer in the game I watched him, but I only seen him in one game. And if he’s going to be the second QB selected, I don’t think his mechanics are a concern.
He’s as good as anyone at completing deep tight window throws in this draft. My only concern with him is his frame and he needs to tighten up his throwing motion.
The game I watched him was against Alabama. He seemed eager to drop his eyes and take off and run. I don’t know if it was Alabama’s good DBs, but he was quick to run with it.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

witljon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:49 am
Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 am

The game I watched him was against Alabama. He seemed eager to drop his eyes and take off and run. I don’t know if it was Alabama’s good DBs, but he was quick to run with it.
That’s part of what makes him great. If I remember correctly, he had a nice deep seem route TD in his first drive of that game. I was more concerned with his intermediate passes. He missed some open guys in the flats.

Fast forward to 9:30. This is what I mean about elite arm talent.

https://youtu.be/Tk-gQlHRdG0
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

witljon

Post by witljon »

Butch Bradford wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm
The same could be said about the other top QB prospects.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

witljon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:58 pm
Butch Bradford wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm
The same could be said about the other top QB prospects.
:lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Philip Rivers was Philip Rivers. NOt many people can play QB with that arm angle.

The real problem with Drake's footwork is it isn't really footwork. Its the happy feet and he had it even when he was't pressured. That more reactive than mechanic and it worries me a bit about him. Like I said, he is 6-4, 233 lbs fucking stop tap dancing like a ballerina and set your damn feet and throw the freaking ball. To throw accurate balls into NFL windows you need to have your feet set so you can drive the ball. If you don't, lotsa bad can happen to you.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 pm

Philip Rivers was Philip Rivers. NOt many people can play QB with that arm angle.

The real problem with Drake's footwork is it isn't really footwork. Its the happy feet and he had it even when he was't pressured. That more reactive than mechanic and it worries me a bit about him. Like I said, he is 6-4, 233 lbs fucking stop tap dancing like a ballerina and set your damn feet and throw the freaking ball. To throw accurate balls into NFL windows you need to have your feet set so you can drive the ball. If you don't, lotsa bad can happen to you.
Again, we are discussing arm talent. I’m aware of the regression in the last 4 games last year with Maye. There is a lot contributing to the bad habits he picked up, but I feel confident that he can be corrected to what he was in 2022. His arm talent is as good as it gets.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:18 pm

Again, we are discussing arm talent. I’m aware of the regression in the last 4 games last year with Maye. There is a lot contributing to the bad habits he picked up, but I feel confident that he can be corrected to what he was in 2022. His arm talent is as good as it gets.
IF you miss as bad as Maye did, you have questions about your arm talent.

JJ McCarthy has the best arm talent in the draft. He is an elite level thrower between the numbers, exactly where NFL offenses attack.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:22 pm

JJ McCarthy has the best arm talent in the draft. He is an elite level thrower between the numbers, exactly where NFL offenses attack.
Can it be Thursday tomorrow please?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:22 pm

Can it be Thursday tomorrow please?
I know right.... it will be interesting.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Perhaps the most interesting storyline of the NFL Draft is what the Minnesota Vikings will do at quarterback.

They’ve signaled their intention to trade up and snag their quarterback of the future. The question, of course, is who do they have in mind?

It appears that Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels will be taken with the first two picks and Minnesota won’t be able to find a way to get either (although, never say never). That leaves the next batch of quarterbacks (Drake Maye, J.J. McCarthy, Michael Penix, Bo Nix) as the likely best options.

But the real interesting question is, what type of quarterback is head coach Kevin O’Connell looking for? Does he want the player who can execute his system flawlessly? Or would he prefer a quarterback who can’t quite operate the offense to its highest level but has the physical talent to add value when the play doesn’t work as planned?

O’Connell was the Rams Offensive Coordinator under Sean McVay from 2020-21, so the system he runs is a variation of McVay’s. And one thing is clear about this system; it can manufacture offense with just about anyone playing quarterback.

Arguably the best piece of evidence to support this is the fact that both McVay and O’Connell have brought in quarterbacks just days before a game and been able to win with them that same week.

During the 2022 season, the Rams signed Baker Mayfield just two days before their Thursday Night game against the Raiders. With barely any time to prepare, he completed 22 of 35 passes for 230 yards and a touchdown, including the game-winning score with just 9 seconds remaining.

A year later, O’Connell had a similar situation. After the Vikings traded for Joshua Dobbs on a Tuesday, they would be forced to play him that Sunday against the Falcons after their starter went down with a concussion. O’Connell famously called the plays and then broke them down or simplified them for Dobbs in his headset to help with his lack of familiarity. Not only did Dobbs complete 20 of 30 passes for 158 yards and 2 touchdowns, he also threw the game-winning score in the final seconds.

Clearly, the system (and/or coaches) can make most quarterbacks somewhat successful regardless of the circumstances. The problem is, the system itself can only take the offense so far. O’Connell was front and center to witness this with the Rams in 2020 and 2021.

L.A. had a good offense and had reached the Super Bowl in 2018. But it was clear that quarterback Jared Goff could only do so much. That’s why the Rams traded for Matthew Stafford, who could not only run the system better than Goff, but his physical talent also expanded it. The Rams would go on to win Super Bowl LVI in Stafford’s first season.

Is this experience likely to guide O’Connell’s thinking and have him lean towards the more physically gifted player?

In San Francisco, Kyle Shanahan had to confront the same question. His system (which McVay and O’Connell’s offenses stem from) creates completions with the best of them. But after getting to the Super Bowl with Jimmy Garoppolo in 2019 but falling short of a Lombardi Trophy, he decided Jimmy G could only take the 49ers so far. So San Francisco traded the farm to move up and get the more physically talented Trey Lance in 2021.

This gamble did not pay off like it did for the Rams. Injuries and the inability to effectively run Shanahan’s system led to Lance starting just 4 games before being traded to the Cowboys after two seasons.

Clearly, just having high-level physical attributes is not enough in the long term, even for these systems. The 49ers learned this, and have since returned to a quarterback in Brock Purdy who can execute the offense at a high-level despite not having overwhelming physical attributes.

Which brings us back to Kevin O’Connell and the Vikings. Obviously, a quarterback like Stafford would be the optimal choice. But a player like that, who has both the experience and savvy to run his system at a high-level as well as the physical talent to expand it, is not available.

Instead, the choice they now have reflects the age-old debate about the quarterback position. Is it better to go with the “system” quarterback with limitations? Or is it better to gamble on the physical stud who won’t execute the offense to a “T” but can add on to it with his arm or legs?

Specifically, will they target J.J. McCarthy, who is more likely to run O’Connell’s offense at a high level but not add much more than the occasional scramble? Or will they go after the more talented signal caller in Drake Maye, who might have more potential but is still very Raw with a capital “R.”

Perhaps they prefer Michael Penix, who would be able to expand the Vikings’ ability to attack downfield but also needs to refine certain aspects of his game. Or maybe they don’t trade up at all and let a player who can execute their system, like Bo Nix, come to them?

Whoever the Vikings do select is going into the ideal situation. Aside from the offensive system, they’ll get to throw to Justin Jefferson (presumably) and Jordan Addison. Not to mention, they’ll have Aaron Jones to hand the ball to. This is the best possible landing spot for any quarterback from this year’s class.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:53 pm
Perhaps the most interesting storyline of the NFL Draft is what the Minnesota Vikings will do at quarterback.

They’ve signaled their intention to trade up and snag their quarterback of the future. The question, of course, is who do they have in mind?

It appears that Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels will be taken with the first two picks and Minnesota won’t be able to find a way to get either (although, never say never). That leaves the next batch of quarterbacks (Drake Maye, J.J. McCarthy, Michael Penix, Bo Nix) as the likely best options.

But the real interesting question is, what type of quarterback is head coach Kevin O’Connell looking for? Does he want the player who can execute his system flawlessly? Or would he prefer a quarterback who can’t quite operate the offense to its highest level but has the physical talent to add value when the play doesn’t work as planned?

O’Connell was the Rams Offensive Coordinator under Sean McVay from 2020-21, so the system he runs is a variation of McVay’s. And one thing is clear about this system; it can manufacture offense with just about anyone playing quarterback.

Arguably the best piece of evidence to support this is the fact that both McVay and O’Connell have brought in quarterbacks just days before a game and been able to win with them that same week.

During the 2022 season, the Rams signed Baker Mayfield just two days before their Thursday Night game against the Raiders. With barely any time to prepare, he completed 22 of 35 passes for 230 yards and a touchdown, including the game-winning score with just 9 seconds remaining.

A year later, O’Connell had a similar situation. After the Vikings traded for Joshua Dobbs on a Tuesday, they would be forced to play him that Sunday against the Falcons after their starter went down with a concussion. O’Connell famously called the plays and then broke them down or simplified them for Dobbs in his headset to help with his lack of familiarity. Not only did Dobbs complete 20 of 30 passes for 158 yards and 2 touchdowns, he also threw the game-winning score in the final seconds.

Clearly, the system (and/or coaches) can make most quarterbacks somewhat successful regardless of the circumstances. The problem is, the system itself can only take the offense so far. O’Connell was front and center to witness this with the Rams in 2020 and 2021.

L.A. had a good offense and had reached the Super Bowl in 2018. But it was clear that quarterback Jared Goff could only do so much. That’s why the Rams traded for Matthew Stafford, who could not only run the system better than Goff, but his physical talent also expanded it. The Rams would go on to win Super Bowl LVI in Stafford’s first season.

Is this experience likely to guide O’Connell’s thinking and have him lean towards the more physically gifted player?

In San Francisco, Kyle Shanahan had to confront the same question. His system (which McVay and O’Connell’s offenses stem from) creates completions with the best of them. But after getting to the Super Bowl with Jimmy Garoppolo in 2019 but falling short of a Lombardi Trophy, he decided Jimmy G could only take the 49ers so far. So San Francisco traded the farm to move up and get the more physically talented Trey Lance in 2021.

This gamble did not pay off like it did for the Rams. Injuries and the inability to effectively run Shanahan’s system led to Lance starting just 4 games before being traded to the Cowboys after two seasons.

Clearly, just having high-level physical attributes is not enough in the long term, even for these systems. The 49ers learned this, and have since returned to a quarterback in Brock Purdy who can execute the offense at a high-level despite not having overwhelming physical attributes.

Which brings us back to Kevin O’Connell and the Vikings. Obviously, a quarterback like Stafford would be the optimal choice. But a player like that, who has both the experience and savvy to run his system at a high-level as well as the physical talent to expand it, is not available.

Instead, the choice they now have reflects the age-old debate about the quarterback position. Is it better to go with the “system” quarterback with limitations? Or is it better to gamble on the physical stud who won’t execute the offense to a “T” but can add on to it with his arm or legs?

Specifically, will they target J.J. McCarthy, who is more likely to run O’Connell’s offense at a high level but not add much more than the occasional scramble? Or will they go after the more talented signal caller in Drake Maye, who might have more potential but is still very Raw with a capital “R.”

Perhaps they prefer Michael Penix, who would be able to expand the Vikings’ ability to attack downfield but also needs to refine certain aspects of his game. Or maybe they don’t trade up at all and let a player who can execute their system, like Bo Nix, come to them?

Whoever the Vikings do select is going into the ideal situation. Aside from the offensive system, they’ll get to throw to Justin Jefferson (presumably) and Jordan Addison. Not to mention, they’ll have Aaron Jones to hand the ball to. This is the best possible landing spot for any quarterback from this year’s class.
"Specifically, will they target J.J. McCarthy, who is more likely to run O’Connell’s offense at a high level but not add much more than the occasional scramble?"

JJ McCarthy is a much better athlete and a much more moblie QB than Drake Maye.

Again, while I like JJ better, I still like Maye. But making up shit like that just demonstrates these people with opinions do not really know what they are talking about.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

WaT?
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:56 pm

"Specifically, will they target J.J. McCarthy, who is more likely to run O’Connell’s offense at a high level but not add much more than the occasional scramble?"

Again, while I like JJ better, I still like Maye. But making up shit like that just demonstrates these people with opinions do not really know what they are talking about.
I think Drake Maye is a better athlete and a more mobile QB than JJ McCarthy.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 am

There is no chance that Maye is a better athlete than McCarthy. You can say he has a better arm and better upside as a NFL QB, but McCarthy is a better athlete. McCarthy had a top 5 three cone drill of all prospects at the combine. He is also more elusive in the pocket and a faster runner.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:01 am
witljon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 am

There is no chance that Maye is a better athlete than McCarthy. You can say he has a better arm and better upside as a NFL QB, but McCarthy is a better athlete. McCarthy had a top 5 three cone drill of all prospects at the combine. He is also more elusive in the pocket and a faster runner.
THey can see it with their own eyes, they just do not believe it. Once Drake gets moving he is a pretty fast runner. But it takes big lanes for him to run and he is not elusive at all. He runs like a fullback.

McCarthy isn't Jayden Daniels, but he is very effective running the ball.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

JJ McCarthy was interviewed on ESPN yesterday. Kid sounds like a fucking moron.

I'd rather have Penix or Nix.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am JJ McCarthy was interviewed on ESPN yesterday. Kid sounds like a fucking moron.

I didn't watch that particular interview butt I didn't find him that bad. Kind of cliche answers per normal butt seemed personable enough for me. I'm kind of worried about trading too much for any of these guys butt it's clear the fanbase wants a QB early.
-

Got Root?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Dr. Linux wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:35 am
Mandatory wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am JJ McCarthy was interviewed on ESPN yesterday. Kid sounds like a fucking moron.

I didn't watch that particular interview butt I didn't find him that bad. Kind of cliche answers per normal butt seemed personable enough for me. I'm kind of worried about trading too much for any of these guys butt it's clear the fanbase wants a QB early.
He’s fine in interviews. I watched it. He got a little cringe at times, but he didn’t sound like an idiot.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:46 am

He’s fine in interviews. I watched it. He got a little cringe at times, but he didn’t sound like an idiot.
Kid is super cringe and full of cliches. He has no business being a first round prospect.

#BaltimoreStrong
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:50 pm

Kid is super cringe and full of cliches. He has no business being a first round prospect.
Yeah, CJ Stroud's 18 on the Wonderlic test meant he was too stupid to be a NFL QB.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

Yeah, CJ Stroud's 18 on the Wonderlic test meant he was too stupid to be a NFL QB.
I don't like anything I see from JJ McCarthy. From his film, his measurables or his personality.

Is that clear enough for you?

#BaltimoreStrong
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:26 pm

I don't like anything I see from JJ McCarthy. From his film, his measurables or his personality.

What is the problem with his measurables? Just curious.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This.

He’s one of those Rah Rah guys.

You better be awfully damn good to make that work in an NFL locker room.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 pm

What do you care? You obviously don’t agree.

#BaltimoreStrong
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:18 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 pm

What do you care? You obviously don’t agree.
I probably don't but maybe you have information that is interesting on the measurables.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Keep this idiot “bro” away from my football team.

#BaltimoreStrong
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:15 pm Keep this idiot “bro” away from my football team.

“No pain no gain” Bro.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:15 pm Keep this idiot “bro” away from my football team.

Excellent Sleep number commercial. He’s a bro for sure