Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
-VikingsTw-

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by -VikingsTw- »

D_H wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:48 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:59 am
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 am

I think the fantasy football numbers would be off the charts. Maye in Minnesota could be a great fit. He has some real inconsistencies with how the season ended last year. Doesn't make a ton of sense why because he started out really well. I don't hear this take often but when i watched his season in full in order it was really good to start.

He's super gifted, makes some really high end throws and he's really young. The ceiling for spectacular is there which makes it a fun prospect.

I don't know if he's gonna be a winner at the highest level and be able to handle those moments but I think without a doubt if he goes to Minny he's gonna put up the numbers and be an explosive offense.
Put the right team around him and he’ll win. Patrick Mahomes was 5-7 his last year at Texas Tech. Mac Jones went 13-0 his last year at Alabama.

College W/L doesn’t really translate to the NFL in any meaningful way.
Bingo
He’s a winner at the college level is such a lazy take it means absolutely nothing

Joe Montana had a legendary come from behind win in the cotton bowl as a senior. They also won that bowl game the year before.

It's not an end all be all but some of it is pattern and winners create winning. It's not an accident.

It's probably not a good idea to choose a QB just from winning in college alone, I've already stated this but I'm not discounting it either.
D_H

Post by D_H »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:36 am

Put the right team around him and he’ll win. Patrick Mahomes was 5-7 his last year at Texas Tech. Mac Jones went 13-0 his last year at Alabama.

Bingo
He’s a winner at the college level is such a lazy take it means absolutely nothing

Joe Montana had a legendary come from behind win in the cotton bowl as a senior. They also won that bowl game the year before.

It's not an end all be all but some of it is pattern and winners create winning. It's not an accident.

It's probably not a good idea to choose a QB just from winning in college alone, I've already stated this but I'm not discounting it either.
AJ McCarron, Mac Jones, Christian ponder, Joey Harrington, etc… and many more won big in college - it means absolutely NOTHING
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

D_H wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:03 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:36 am

Bingo

AJ McCarron, Mac Jones, Christian ponder, Joey Harrington, etc… and many more won big in college - it means absolutely NOTHING
Only that McCarthy faced better competition in college than Maye and played in a pro style offense throughout his career.

So there's that....
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

It just means it's not guaranteed to transition.

Does it not mean anything...? IDK. Michael Jordan hit the game winning shot in 1982 to win the NCAA basketball championship. Then he continued to do that in the pros.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:18 pm

Does it not mean anything...? IDK. Michael Jordan hit the game winning shot in 1982 to win the NCAA basketball championship. Then he continued to do that in the pros.
And Tim Duncan never even made a Final 4 at Wake Forest (he went all four years).

So what?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I just realized Steve Kerr won a title with the Spurs. That dude is a magnet to winning.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Steve Kerr has 9 rings. Unbelievable.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:14 pm

The hope has to be that we have the infrastructure in place to best maximize his potential.
The glass-half full take on Maye's "regression" was that he had a change in OC/QB coach last year and he lost his #1 WR, but we have multiple "strong" offensive coaches on our staff as well as top end offensive playmakers, so he wouldn't be on an island so much here.
I think the fantasy football numbers would be off the charts. Maye in Minnesota could be a great fit. He has some real inconsistencies with how the season ended last year. Doesn't make a ton of sense why because he started out really well. I don't hear this take often but when i watched his season in full in order it was really good to start.

He's super gifted, makes some really high end throws and he's really young. The ceiling for spectacular is there which makes it a fun prospect.

I don't know if he's gonna be a winner at the highest level and be able to handle those moments but I think without a doubt if he goes to Minny he's gonna put up the numbers and be an explosive offense.

USC only went 7-5 with Caleb Williams.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:50 pm I just realized Steve Kerr won a title with the Spurs. That dude is a magnet to winning.
Smart player. Both on the court and off.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:35 pm

Ken Dorsey went 38-2 for Miami 20 years ago.

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:18 pm

Lol

Oh brother
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:43 pm

JJ McCarthy would not have went undefeated
if he were the Gophers QB.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:14 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:43 pm
JJ McCarthy would not have went undefeated
if he were the Gophers QB.
Or North Carolina’s. Or USC’s.

- Isaac Asimov
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Add Rodney Harrison to the Drake Maye doubters.

If the Vikings take Maye I hope he uses this as fuel to light his fire. This dudes got some heavy hitters doubting his game or should I say his ability to overcome his inconsistencies. Dude has wow factor but it's a bit of a roller coaster.

I don't want to say I'm a hater but I left his 2023 tape saying I wouldn't give up the farm to do it. Taking him with one first rounder is one thing, 3 or 4 that's a whole other level of commitment.
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:54 pm Steve Kerr has 9 rings. Unbelievable.
The NBA begins and ends with Steve Kerr.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:04 am Add Rodney Harrison to the Drake Maye doubters.

If the Vikings take Maye I hope he uses this as fuel to light his fire. This dudes got some heavy hitters doubting his game or should I say his ability to overcome his inconsistencies. Dude has wow factor but it's a bit of a roller coaster.

I don't want to say I'm a hater but I left his 2023 tape saying I wouldn't give up the farm to do it. Taking him with one first rounder is one thing, 3 or 4 that's a whole other level of commitment.
Alot of the critique is about him not being ready day 1. For MN, this isnt an issue - seems like the plan all along is to sit their guy or at least have the luxury to do so. For a team like NE, or any crappy team that thinks they need to start their elite pick day 1, it is a problem. Better choices are the older QBs like Penix and Daniels. Might make sense why I've heard rumors that they would draft Daniels if he fell to them, otherwise they are trading out.