Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
A$$MAN

Re: **** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

Post by A$$MAN »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm
A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pmRegarding Harden being lazy and *should* be more accomplished...shouldn't that same statement be even more relevant for Butler? You know, the self proclaimed hardest working man in the NBA?
Not really. Harden's unquestionably the more talented player. He was the more heralded player at every level, but he's underachieved because he's fucking lazy. If he had Butler's work ethic this wouldn't even be a comparison.
Yeah, Harden's attitude and overall commitment has held him back. No denying that.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pmAlso, I disagree you can't question his effort. He absolutely shut it down here by refusing to practice and play while he fucked with Thibs. The guy has shown on multiple occasions it's all about Jimmy. I don't think you can deny that.
See, this is where I can tell you don't care to have an actual conversation.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 pm
A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pmAlso, I disagree you can't question his effort. He absolutely shut it down here by refusing to practice and play while he fucked with Thibs. The guy has shown on multiple occasions it's all about Jimmy. I don't think you can deny that.
See, this is where I can tell you don't care to have an actual conversation.
Why is that? Does a guy committed to winning refuse to practice or play? I guess I just lump commitment, attitude, effort, etc. into the same category. If a guy quits on his team, I think you can definitely question his "effort."
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Top-3 in 3 major awards.

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:27 pm Top-3 in 3 major awards.

Well deserved nominations for all of them. I think Rudy win. Monk wins 6 man.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:23 pm

I think Rudy wins as well, though Victor will probably own that award soon and for a while.

Naz has a chance, but Monk will probably get it. No idea about Finchy. Kinda don’t want him to get it. If we’re still playing when these awards come out, the team can rally around “their guy” Chris Finch. He is well liked and respected by the team, so maybe that will give them an edge for a game or two.

I think Edwards is still a year or two away from serious MVP consideration. They’d really have to value defensive contributions for him to even get a mention and they usually don’t. It will be Joker with Luka and SGA following him. Edwards would be lucky to crack the top-5, actually. Giannis, Tatum, etc. are probably all in front of him. For now.

We don’t have a ROY or a MIP candidate. Maybe Connelly for exec of the year? His vision came together this year. Do they consider cumulative moves over years for that award? IDK…

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Didn’t I see that they already named Daigneault coach of the year?
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 pm
Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:23 pm

I think Rudy wins as well, though Victor will probably own that award soon and for a while.

Naz has a chance, but Monk will probably get it. No idea about Finchy. Kinda don’t want him to get it. If we’re still playing when these awards come out, the team can rally around “their guy” Chris Finch. He is well liked and respected by the team, so maybe that will give them an edge for a game or two.

I think Edwards is still a year or two away from serious MVP consideration. They’d really have to value defensive contributions for him to even get a mention and they usually don’t. It will be Joker with Luka and SGA following him. Edwards would be lucky to crack the top-5, actually. Giannis, Tatum, etc. are probably all in front of him. For now.

We don’t have a ROY or a MIP candidate. Maybe Connelly for exec of the year? His vision came together this year. Do they consider cumulative moves over years for that award? IDK…
I also don’t want Finch to win that award until he wins a meaningful playoff series.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth over losing to Memphis in the playoffs.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

SHAFA wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:37 pm Didn’t I see that they already named Daigneault coach of the year?
he's going to win it, but no...they just announced the 3 finalists for each award on Sun. no winners yet.

"TNT will reveal the winner of each award during its coverage of the 2024 NBA Playoffs, beginning Tuesday, April 23."
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

boxter432 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:22 am
SHAFA wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:37 pm Didn’t I see that they already named Daigneault coach of the year?
he's going to win it, but no...they just announced the 3 finalists for each award on Sun. no winners yet.

"TNT will reveal the winner of each award during its coverage of the 2024 NBA Playoffs, beginning Tuesday, April 23."
Yeah, I noticed afterward that what I saw was an NBCA award I guess. Not sure I've seen that before.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/3 ... coach-year
Mark Daigneault of the Oklahoma City Thunder was voted the National Basketball Coaches Association's NBA coach of the year on Monday.

Daigneault delivered the youngest team in modern league history (an average of 24 years old) to the Western Conference's No. 1 seed and decisively won the NBCA voting among his head-coaching peers.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

He did win a different coach award last week.
Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Mark Daigneault is the 2024 recipient of the Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award, the National Basketball Coaches Association announced today.

The Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award recognizes the dedication, commitment, and hard work of NBA Head Coaches and is presented annually to a Head Coach who helps guide his players to a higher level of performance on the court and shows outstanding service and dedication to the community off the court. It honors the spirit of Mr. Goldberg, the esteemed long-time Executive Director of the NBCA, who set the standard for loyalty, integrity, love of the game, passionate representation, and tireless promotion of NBA coaching. The award is unique in that it is voted upon by the winners’ peers, the Head Coaches of all 30 NBA teams.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I was watching that post game analysis on TNT or wherever and I think wilbon, stephen A and Perkins has Ant at #2, #3 and #4 in MVP, unless I heard it wrong.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:42 am I was watching that post game analysis on TNT or wherever and I think wilbon, stephen A and Perkins has Ant at #2, #3 and #4 in MVP, unless I heard it wrong.
Personally, I’d put him over SGA because he guards people a lot better than Shai does. But I doubt he finishes above him. MVP is an “offensive stats on a good team” award.

- Isaac Asimov
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:03 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:42 am I was watching that post game analysis on TNT or wherever and I think wilbon, stephen A and Perkins has Ant at #2, #3 and #4 in MVP, unless I heard it wrong.
Personally, I’d put him over SGA because he guards people a lot better than Shai does. But I doubt he finishes above him. MVP is an “offensive stats on a good team” award.
So, I'm assuming Jokic has it wrapped up or are they going to give it to Luka? Luka would make me barf.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:54 pm
So, I'm assuming Jokic has it wrapped up or are they going to give it to Luka? Luka would make me barf.
Joker should get it. But sometimes there’s voter fatigue. That’s why Malone and Barkley beat Jordan in 97 and 93. Maybe they don’t want to give Jokic 3 mvps in 4 years.

Shai getting it would be worse than Luka, imho. But at least he’s a #1 seed, I guess…

- Isaac Asimov
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Disagree. Ant is a stifling on-ball defender when he wants to be, but he's a terrible and lazy team defender. Lots of lay-ups and open threes come because he's the guy not rotating.

Shai, on the other hand is not as good on the ball (though not bad with his length), but he's a great team/gap defender which is why he leads the league in steals.

IMO, SGA would be ahead of Ant for MVP this year.
Ketchup can be nuancy
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

i mean it has to be Joker. nuggets would be a play in team with basically any other big man outside of a healthy embiid (who would be MVP if he didn't get hurt)

Luka is the Josh Allen of the NBA currently (not in a negative way at all)

i would rank it Joker, Luka, SGA, Giannis (who I think somehow become underrated this season, and I wouldn't disagree if someone had him #2) for qualified guys. Ant in the next tier with Tatum, Brunson, KD, Kawhi, AD etc...
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

It's gotta go to Joker. Dude shouldn't get penalized for continuing to be the best player in the league year after year.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:43 pm
Disagree. Ant is a stifling on-ball defender when he wants to be, but he's a terrible and lazy team defender. Lots of lay-ups and open threes come because he's the guy not rotating.

Shai, on the other hand is not as good on the ball (though not bad with his length), but he's a great team/gap defender which is why he leads the league in steals.

IMO, SGA would be ahead of Ant for MVP this year.
He will be ahead because as I said, the MVP is about offensive statistical accumulation on a good team.

But Edwards is the superior defender. I agree he sometimes sleeps and loses focus. He’s the superior defender anyway.

- Isaac Asimov
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/nb ... 264f&ei=17

Stifle Tower Considered Most Overrated
This poll made it clear that the peers of Rudy Gobert don’t think as highly of him as many members of the media and fans of the game do.

The 31-year-old Gobert has plenty of accolades in his career. He is a three-time Defensive Player of the Year (likely soon-to-be four-time), as well as a three-time All-Star and a four-time All-NBA member.

This season, Gobert averaged 14.0 points, 12.9 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks in 76 games. The three-time leader in field goal percentage shot 66.1% from the field.

Rounding out the top five are Jordan Poole (8.6%), Trae Young (7.4%), Dillon Brooks (4.9%), and James Harden (4.9%).
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:41 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/nb ... 264f&ei=17

Stifle Tower Considered Most Overrated
This poll made it clear that the peers of Rudy Gobert don’t think as highly of him as many members of the media and fans of the game do.

The 31-year-old Gobert has plenty of accolades in his career. He is a three-time Defensive Player of the Year (likely soon-to-be four-time), as well as a three-time All-Star and a four-time All-NBA member.

This season, Gobert averaged 14.0 points, 12.9 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks in 76 games. The three-time leader in field goal percentage shot 66.1% from the field.

Rounding out the top five are Jordan Poole (8.6%), Trae Young (7.4%), Dillon Brooks (4.9%), and James Harden (4.9%).
I guess it depends on how you rate him wither or not he’s overrated.

If you think he’s a top-10/20 player, then yeah, he’s overrated.

I think he rubs some players the wrong way and this is probably how they’re getting back at him.

- Isaac Asimov