Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

J. Daniels

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
D_H

Re: J. Daniels

Post by D_H »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm I find it interesting that Daniels agreed to meet with Minnesota this late in the process. Seems like Daniels to Washington is pretty much a lock.
not now
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

D_H wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm I find it interesting that Daniels agreed to meet with Minnesota this late in the process. Seems like Daniels to Washington is pretty much a lock.
not now

They didn't feed Jayden? They must really like him!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 am
D_H wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am
not now

Hopefully they at least fed themselves down there.
It would be a shame to go all the way down to Louisiana and not partake in the local cuisine.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am
D_H wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am not now

It would be a shame to go all the way down to Louisiana and not partake in the local cuisine.
Popeye’s is overrated
“Your boos mean nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

BlackDog wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 am

Popeye’s is overrated
That would be such a Minnesotan thing to do.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

D_H wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am not now

I'd get some blackened catfish, red beans with rice, jambalaya or gumbo and some chocolate beignets for dessert!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

minnemike wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 am

I'd get some blackened catfish, red beans with rice, jambalaya or gumbo and some chocolate beignets for dessert!
platter of fried chicken too for the table to share, and add some pecan pie to that dessert order too
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
D_H

Post by D_H »

It’s either Maye or Daniels for us. If the rumors are true he doesn’t want to go to Washington — go after JD!!!!
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

D_H wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 am It’s either Maye or Daniels for us. If the rumors are true he doesn’t want to go to Washington — go after JD!!!!
Too bad Daniel's dad isnt Archie Manning!
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

D_H wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 am It’s either Maye or Daniels for us. If the rumors are true he doesn’t want to go to Washington — go after JD!!!!
That means Maye goes 2 and Daniels goes to NE at 3.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

If this whole "drama" is because Washington had the "audacity" to ask that Jayden comes in with others to do a group interview, then that's the ultimate bitch move.

Washington is a great situation, and if you're too spoiled and sensitive to see that, then you fucking deserve whatever you get in NE, because that's set up way worse for you.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
D_H

Post by D_H »

minnemike wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 am
Too bad Daniel's dad isnt Archie Manning!
Lol
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 am If this whole "drama" is because Washington had the "audacity" to ask that Jayden comes in with others to do a group interview, then that's the ultimate bitch move.

Washington is a great situation, and if you're too spoiled and sensitive to see that, then you fucking deserve whatever you get in NE, because that's set up way worse for you.
Why is Washington a great situation? Dan Quinn isn’t a good coach and Kingsbury is shit. Their oline isn’t very good either.

Is better than NE? Sure, I can see that. But there’s better options out there. Maybe Jaden has been listening to the pundits they talk about how good another situation is for a rookie QB and how that team is actively trying to move up.

Either way, there’s still six days left and I doubt it’s set in stone that he won’t play there. Another sit down to clear the air is what is needed.

Guess we’ll find out.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 am If this whole "drama" is because Washington had the "audacity" to ask that Jayden comes in with others to do a group interview, then that's the ultimate bitch move.

Why is Washington a great situation? Dan Quinn isn’t a good coach and Kingsbury is shit. Their oline isn’t very good either.

Is better than NE? Sure, I can see that. But there’s better options out there. Maybe Jaden has been listening to the pundits they talk about how good another situation is for a rookie QB and how that team is actively trying to move up.

Either way, there’s still six days left and I doubt it’s set in stone that he won’t play there. Another sit down to clear the air is what is needed.

Guess we’ll find out.
Fit doesnt really matter when 6 days from now. Unless they trade out, the bad teams get to pick their preferred player amongst who is available. Daniels should be the 2nd player picked. Right now that team is the CommanderSkins.

AS far as fit, if Jayden Daniels is your selection, YOU MAKE YOUR FUCKING OFFENSE FIT HIM. Maybe you hire James Urban as your offensive coordinator (he was QB coach in Baltimore for Lamar Jackson 2018-2022. Maybe if you are really smart you don't hire an old school dCoordiantor as your head coach.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Guess we’ll find out.
I agree. Better than NE. Not fantastic, but if you want to be a top pick, you shouldn’t expect to go to a perfect roster. Perfect rosters seldom get top picks.

But being the star QB who brings Washington back to relevance (remember, Snyder is gone) makes you a legend. It’s not a perfect situation, but it’s a perfect opportunity. You could go to New England and win 2 super bowls and be a disappointment. Win one in Washington (or Minnesota!) and you go down in history. If a conversation can’t fix this, then I wouldn’t want Daniels either.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Watch if we end up with either and we get a trash player like McCarthy!
D_H

Post by D_H »

cdr2529 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm
I’m extremely confident Kevin O’Connell is not that stupid. He and the entire front office would be out of a job in two years if they draft that scrub. Not happening. JJ McCarthy was considered a second or third round pick before the national championship game and played like shit in the national championship game. As a matter fact, the coaching staff tried to hide him and didn’t let him pass. Lol. The hype is not coming from an NFL people. The hype is coming from people that do mock drafts. Lol. You know the same people that hyped up with Levis, AJ McCarron, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Joey Harrington, etc.. lol
witljon

Post by witljon »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 am
minnemike wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 am
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am Hopefully they at least fed themselves down there.
platter of fried chicken too for the table to share, and add some pecan pie to that dessert order too
Maybe a simple Po-Boy or Mufuletta sandwich if they’re doing Louisiana style Cajun or Creole food.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Guess we’ll find out.
Quinn is a good coach, the guy did make a SB and had a QB win the MVP. I know Shanahan was the OC, but Quinn still gets credit for fostering an environment where the offense can still shine and do their thing. That matters, and he’ll do the same thing in Wash.

Kings bury is a good developer. He may not be a great head coach, but he’s done good things for a lot of QBs very similar to Daniels. Kyler Murray is going to make over $100M after working under Kingsbury.

They already have one great WR in McLaurin signed long term, and another 1st rd WR in Dotson. That’s way more offensive weapons than most rookie QBs get.

They’ve got two stud DL in Allen and Payne signed long term, two first round rookie scale defenders in Davis and Forbes, and they just signed Armstrong from the Cowboys for over $10M per season. That’s the building blocks of a nice young defense, and having a nice defense is a great friend to a young QB because it takes the pressure off.

They have two addl 2nd rd picks this year, as well as three 3rds. They also have a TON of cap space over the next few years to quickly supplement the roster.

They’re a premier franchise with great exposure and great fans, so he can easily profit on his successes.

That’s WAY more than most young guys can expect when they’re getting drafted #2 overall.
It may not be the best ever, but it’s also not supposed to be. The whole point of the draft is to ensure parity for the league as a whole, not to have any random individual person grease their way to the best situation possible.

Now it’s one thing to say that your career can be greatly impacted by going to a team that doesn’t know what they’re doing, but that’s not this case. In fact, it’s not most cases.
But it’s supposed to be your job to eventually raise the team up to its zenith, not the team’s job to audition for your services.

Any attempts at this shit need to be nipped in the bud. I don’t think that’s what is going on here with Jayden, but if so then that would be what he needs to hear.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

Guess we’ll find out.
Quinn is a good coach, the guy did make a SB and had a QB win the MVP. I know Shanahan was the OC, but Quinn still gets credit for fostering an environment where the offense can still shine and do their thing. That matters, and he’ll do the same thing in Wash.

Kings bury is a good developer. He may not be a great head coach, but he’s done good things for a lot of QBs very similar to Daniels. Kyler Murray is going to make over $100M after working under Kingsbury.

They already have one great WR in McLaurin signed long term, and another 1st rd WR in Dotson. That’s way more offensive weapons than most rookie QBs get.

They’ve got two stud DL in Allen and Payne signed long term, two first round rookie scale defenders in Davis and Forbes, and they just signed Armstrong from the Cowboys for over $10M per season. That’s the building blocks of a nice young defense, and having a nice defense is a great friend to a young QB because it takes the pressure off.

They have two addl 2nd rd picks this year, as well as three 3rds. They also have a TON of cap space over the next few years to quickly supplement the roster.

They’re a premier franchise with great exposure and great fans, so he can easily profit on his successes.

That’s WAY more than most young guys can expect when they’re getting drafted #2 overall.
It may not be the best ever, but it’s also not supposed to be. The whole point of the draft is to ensure parity for the league as a whole, not to have any random individual person grease their way to the best situation possible.

Now it’s one thing to say that your career can be greatly impacted by going to a team that doesn’t know what they’re doing, but that’s not this case. In fact, it’s not most cases.
But it’s supposed to be your job to eventually raise the team up to its zenith, not the team’s job to audition for your services.

Any attempts at this shit need to be nipped in the bud. I don’t think that’s what is going on here with Jayden, but if so then that would be what he needs to hear.
The two most famous cases of a player telling a team “I won’t play for you” are John Elway 41 years ago and Eli manning 20 years ago. I’m sure there have been others (Bo Jackson, iirc) and I’m sure there have been some in other sports (Eric Lindross in the NHL; Steph Curry in the NBA).

So I can only imagine that’s the tip of the iceberg. It doesn’t benefit either side to admit this. Both the team and player look bad. The team might have some incentive to leak it to justify trading away or passing on a hot prospect, but it also makes them look weak and is embarrassing. For the player, it’s just a bad, petulant, entitled look. So I imagine it happens a lot more than we’re aware of. I think it’s the dirty secret of draft day. It’s the hidden calculus that teams have to do that fans and “experts” are not privy to.

I’m just guessing at all this, but I bet it happens more often than we realize.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Aaaand on that note:

:lol:

It’s just a rumor account, and it was “wants to play” for team A, not “refuses to play” for team B, but still…

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Guess we’ll find out.

According to Schefter anyway, Daniels will play where he is drafted.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm
I’m extremely confident Kevin O’Connell is not that stupid. He and the entire front office would be out of a job in two years if they draft that scrub. Not happening. JJ McCarthy was considered a second or third round pick before the national championship game and played like shit in the national championship game. As a matter fact, the coaching staff tried to hide him and didn’t let him pass. Lol. The hype is not coming from an NFL people. The hype is coming from people that do mock drafts. Lol. You know the same people that hyped up with Levis, AJ McCarron, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Joey Harrington, etc.. lol
:lol: Getting more and more bitter as destiny inches closer. "With that #4 pick, the Minnesota Vikings select JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan." :lol:
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 pm
:lol: Getting more and more bitter as destiny inches closer. "With that #4 pick, the Minnesota Vikings select JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan." :lol:
If they trade to get JJ I will give up my 52 years of supporting and hoping for a Super Bowl victory and be a bandwagon supporter of every good team each year except the Cowboys and those in the division.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Guess we’ll find out.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think Washington isn’t as good as you believe, but that’s fine. They have some pieces, but they need a lot more. They won’t be an overnight success story next year and I have serious doubts about Kingsbury.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm

Guess we’ll find out.

The two most famous cases of a player telling a team “I won’t play for you” are John Elway 41 years ago and Eli manning 20 years ago. I’m sure there have been others (Bo Jackson, iirc) and I’m sure there have been some in other sports (Eric Lindross in the NHL; Steph Curry in the NBA).

So I can only imagine that’s the tip of the iceberg. It doesn’t benefit either side to admit this. Both the team and player look bad. The team might have some incentive to leak it to justify trading away or passing on a hot prospect, but it also makes them look weak and is embarrassing. For the player, it’s just a bad, petulant, entitled look. So I imagine it happens a lot more than we’re aware of. I think it’s the dirty secret of draft day. It’s the hidden calculus that teams have to do that fans and “experts” are not privy to.

The media doesn’t help either. It’s fun for them to try and manufacture stories like this because it’s free content for them, knowing full well that they won’t be held accountable if they “interpret correctly.

That’s why we should still be cautious about labeling these guys’ character.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm

Guess we’ll find out.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think Washington isn’t as good as you believe, but that’s fine. They have some pieces, but they need a lot more. They won’t be an overnight success story next year and I have serious doubts about Kingsbury.
I didn’t say overnight, but in a few years for sure.
If they do this right, I think Wash could be in the NFCCG before the end of Jayden’s rookie contract.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm

The media doesn’t help either. It’s fun for them to try and manufacture stories like this because it’s free content for them, knowing full well that they won’t be held accountable if they “interpret correctly.

That’s why we should still be cautious about labeling these guys’ character.
Correct. But even that media fault is ultimately only there to placate the insatiable appetite of the American football fan.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 pm
Lol

NFL coach:

The biggest area of concern for McCarthy is his accuracy when throwing outside of the numbers. On such pass attempts, he recorded a 27.1% uncatchable throw rate, ranking 48th out of 105 eligible FBS quarterbacks.

Lol

Kevin, O’Connell is not taking Chad Henne 2.0 rest assured
Last edited by D_H on Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
witljon

Post by witljon »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm Is he still scheduled for a private workout tomorrow in Minnesota?
My gut feeling is Daniels is the QB the Vikings really wants despite all the Maye and McCarthy rumors. KOC seems to like a mobile QB.