Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Line drawn for trade values

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Small Hands

Re: Line drawn for trade values

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:59 am
Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:32 am

You haven't heard a single scout say he is an acquired taste. All you have heard is a bunch of internet "pundits" make those statements.

While most of real scouts reports are inside knowledge, there is zero doubt in my mind that NFL scouts love JJ McCarthy. Everything he does is like a prototypical NFL quarterback with plus arm and plus mobility. And unlike the other top QBs in this draft, he played in a pro system that had him under center and running true play action. This was especially true when McCarthy weighed in at 219 lbs at the combine.
Daniel Jeremiah said those exact words. He is a former NFL scout
I notice an adjective before the word NFL that makes all the difference in the world.
I think he’s a pretty good evaluator of talent. More so than a lot of the media guys out there.

I can appreciate the amount of time you put into these prospects. It’s okay that we have differing opinions on Nix and McCarthy. I think it will be fun to see how it shakes out in a few years. If the Vikings move up and take McCarthy, I will be disappointed, but I will 100% root for him. I just think the smart move would be to stay put at 11 and take Nix or Penix. Draft BPA at 11 and grab one of those two at 23. Personally, I think Nix is a better choice than both JJ and Penix. Based off of Penix’s injury history, and how ineffective he was when pressured in the Chip. I don’t want JJ, because he is very unproven. I don’t want to give up 3 1st round picks for a guy that is theoretically going to be good on a very small sample size. Same reason I laughed at Trey Lance going top 5. Now there are exceptions. I thought Josh Allen was going to bust and he completely fixed his mechanics and became a star. Not saying JJ has Allen’s college mechanics. His release is much better. I just haven’t seen him take the wheel and thrive with NFL caliber talent around him. Don’t forget, Michigan does have a WR that will be drafted in a couple weeks and two OL that are projected top 100 picks. Not to mention a top 5 RB in the draft as well. I just think it’s not a no brainer decision to mortgage the future for him.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Do we believe in Flores’ defense and Darnold’s arm that next year’s first won’t be higher than this year’s?

Maybe if we picked a first round quarterback more than once or twice a century we’d be better off?

I think about a guy who wrote a letter about the Vietnam War early in the war. “Don’t knock it, this is the only war we’ve got!”

I’m just happy we are taking a first round quarterback! That we are not settling for some other team’s cast off! We get to determine our own destiny!

And maybe Darnold finally gets it. Too bad we didn’t sign him for two years and get a big trade if he does work out.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 am
cunningham wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:10 am
Obi-Wan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:56 am How far can they move up trading pick 23 and next year's number 1? No one has talked about that scenario.
We are all hoping it gets us to #3 to draft Maye. In most years that is enough, but this overhyped year of quarterbacks it might not be enough. It might end up being what we pay to the Chargers for JJ.

Which make Harbaugh's revenge and dish best served cold.
I feel trading 3 1sts for McCarthy is a death knell. That’s an absolute franchise butcher move. When scouts say he’s “an acquired taste”, I’m running for the hills. The guy wasn’t even being talked about until January as a 1st round pick. Honestly, I only watched 5-6 of his games last year, but nothing excited me about him. Certainly, not enough to mortgage the future for.
I mean how far can they trade up just trading 23 and next year's 1. Vikings keep 11 in this scenario. It could be for any player not necessarily a QB
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous lately to include next years 1st in a trade up. Not saying in the end I wouldn't I guess. The Vikings have one of the toughest schedules in the NFL in 2024. Their division is stacked too. Sam Darnold is the current starter. All that adds up to a top ten draft pick next year, possibly top 5.

Not to mention there's likely a few teams we 're in a bidding war with. They're just going to have to be right with the pick damnit, if they trade up.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Obi-Wan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:59 am

We are all hoping it gets us to #3 to draft Maye. In most years that is enough, but this overhyped year of quarterbacks it might not be enough. It might end up being what we pay to the Chargers for JJ.

I feel trading 3 1sts for McCarthy is a death knell. That’s an absolute franchise butcher move. When scouts say he’s “an acquired taste”, I’m running for the hills. The guy wasn’t even being talked about until January as a 1st round pick. Honestly, I only watched 5-6 of his games last year, but nothing excited me about him. Certainly, not enough to mortgage the future for.
I mean how far can they trade up just trading 23 and next year's 1. Vikings keep 11 in this scenario. It could be for any player not necessarily a QB
The report was they didn’t want to part ways with 23. They were willing to trade 11 and next years 1st.

I think they want a CB really bad for Flo. They can’t possibly be going into the season with the misfits they have at CB and expect to not get butchered.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:38 pm Do we believe in Flores’ defense and Darnold’s arm that next year’s first won’t be higher than this year’s?

Maybe if we picked a first round quarterback more than once or twice a century we’d be better off?

I think about a guy who wrote a letter about the Vietnam War early in the war. “Don’t knock it, this is the only war we’ve got!”

I’m just happy we are taking a first round quarterback! That we are not settling for some other team’s cast off! We get to determine our own destiny!

And maybe Darnold finally gets it. Too bad we didn’t sign him for two years and get a big trade if he does work out.
The Vikings rarely had to use a first round pick on a quarterback. Tarkenton. Kapp. Kramer/Wilson. Moon. Brad Johnson. Culpepper. Ponder. Teddy. Cousins.

Btw the Vikings have had two quarterbacks who were first overall picks in draft play for them. One was from Rice. Do you know who they are?
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Bradford and Hill.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Obi-Wan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:56 am How far can they move up trading pick 23 and next year's number 1? No one has talked about that scenario.

This.

If you are not getting one of the top 3, just draft whoever falls to you and you still have all your picks.

The thing about JJ isn’t that I don’t like him, it’s he is being valued (At least talked about) WAY too high. He MIGHT be the best of tier #2 and there is a very reasonable chance he isn’t the best of that tier but the talk of him being close to the value of Williams, Daniels and Maye is ass crack.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

William Munny wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm Bradford and Hill.
And Jeff George.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Obi-Wan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 am
And Jeff George.
Thats right.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Hill?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:33 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:38 pm Do we believe in Flores’ defense and Darnold’s arm that next year’s first won’t be higher than this year’s?

The Vikings rarely had to use a first round pick on a quarterback. Tarkenton. Kapp. Kramer/Wilson. Moon. Brad Johnson. Culpepper. Ponder. Teddy. Cousins.

Btw the Vikings have had two quarterbacks who were first overall picks in draft play for them. One was from Rice. Do you know who they are?
Bradford and George. Others beat me to it though.

I think you need to keep taking shots at a quarterback. Andy Reid tried the retread route and eventually found his most success by taking his own quarterback. Most great coaches went retread and then drafted their guy, but a few did find success with the retread for a season or two. Billick prior to Brady. 49ers prior to Purdy.

I just hope we don't make KOC into something here and he wins a Super Bowl somewhere else.

I'd like to see KOC get a quarterback he wants and groom him into something great. That is the ultimate fun ride for any team. KOC and Maye seems like the best fit.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I don't want to trade three 1's for JJ. Even if he's just "okay" the team has a track record of not discarding average/below-average QB's very fast. Chicago got rid of Fields who is probably a better player than Ponder in half the time. Sure, having the #1 pick makes it easier but still.

Trade the farm if a guy you want is there. If not, take BPA's at 11 and 23. However, this also makes me nervous that if they draft a Penix or Nix they're still drafting a QB "high" enough to keep him around for a few years, and maybe a few too long if he doesn't work out.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 am I don't want to trade three 1's for JJ. Even if he's just "okay" the team has a track record of not discarding average/below-average QB's very fast. Chicago got rid of Fields who is probably a better player than Ponder in half the time. Sure, having the #1 pick makes it easier but still.

Trade the farm if a guy you want is there. If not, take BPA's at 11 and 23. However, this also makes me nervous that if they draft a Penix or Nix they're still drafting a QB "high" enough to keep him around for a few years, and maybe a few too long if he doesn't work out.
I think we all have Rick-Spielman-itis... He was so terrible at the quarterback position for so long that we are all afraid this is the one shot we have left for the next 10 - 15 years. It shouldn't have been like that. Most of us are still wondering why we didn't go after Fields, Lance, or others. Both of them would be starters here next year, but we went with Sam Darnold. Much bigger risk, but it also puts pressure on the team to take a quarterback this year.

If we trade 3 firsts for JJ McCarthy it will be lame. But if Washington took JJ McCarthy we would all wonder why Daniels would fall to us.

We do have a horrible history of giving bad quarterbacks way too much time here. This goes back to Jackson, who sucked. Ponder, Bradford, and even Cousins stayed way too long. All of that is Spielman though. Including the Freeman experiment. Dumb luck has worked better than Spielman's best plans. Luckily Bradford got hurt in year two or we go no where that season - just like the one before. Teddy going down saved a lot of years probably as well.

The one good thing about Rick signing Cousins is that it got rid of Rick. Although, our new GM was behind the original Lance trade. The only good thing is that all of the top quarterbacks in this draft have way better college stats than Lance did. Or Fields did.

Darnold had more yards in college than most guys in this year's draft. Only problem was that his completion percentage was low and his TD/INT rate was not nearly as pretty.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's MN and no one else! I guess that means, the price NE is willing to offer vs forcing themselves into a QB.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/2024 ... ts-pick-3/
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm

This.

If you are not getting one of the top 3, just draft whoever falls to you and you still have all your picks.

The thing about JJ isn’t that I don’t like him, it’s he is being valued (At least talked about) WAY too high. He MIGHT be the best of tier #2 and there is a very reasonable chance he isn’t the best of that tier but the talk of him being close to the value of Williams, Daniels and Maye is ass crack.
This is what I've been saying all off-season. I just don't love the guy and I don't see and NFL starter. He'd be phenomenal if Sean Payton got his hands on him and used him in a Taysom Hill kinda way. I also think Bo Nix would do really well in this roll.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.