Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
twolves31

Re: **** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

Post by twolves31 »

Zion is out tonight and will be re-evaluated in the coming weeks. OKC will get an injured team in the first round.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

focker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:37 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 am
focker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 am The Warriors played so terribly that the refs couldn't even help them! What a pile of garbage that team has become. Clay 0-10 shooting. He's going to lose so much $$ it's insane. Wiggins and Chris Paul likely outta there also.
Yeah but they deserved it. Pre-game they were not taking it seriously. They were clowning and laughing, Dray was making fun of someone on the kings bench. I guess they acted like they could just turn it on when they needed to. Been doing it all season. Entitled team, now it's ova.
Yeah I f'n hate Golden State with a passion so seeing them lose that game and knowing team is dunzo as constructed is very nice...
I am with you, plus the stunned look on their faces when they realized they were going to lose with 5 minutes left to play.
Schadenfreude.

Now I want to see Philly whoop the Heat. 2 reasons. 1) Butler's an ass forcing his way out of town everywhere he goes. Payback for JE.
2) Knicks are already crying about having to play a tough opponent in round one.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:47 pm

I'm surprised Philly wasn't top-5 from Embiid alone.
He only played 39-40 games. That's why NY is crying now.
focker

Post by focker »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:09 pm Some people just don't have the brains to protect themselves from themselves.

Too many stories of athletes destroying their livelihood over something stupid. Well at least he's not going to jail, so he's got that going for him. :D
A guy I know just got a Felony charge for cheating at Fantasy Football. He was in charge of a large website that would hold big FF events, with like 1,000+ people playing for ten of thousands of $$. I came out that he was having his brother place bets and then fixing his brothers teams by switching to players who were having massive first halves of the early games.

Some people on the site figured out and down he went.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
focker

Post by focker »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:19 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 am Yeah but they deserved it. Pre-game they were not taking it seriously. They were clowning and laughing, Dray was making fun of someone on the kings bench. I guess they acted like they could just turn it on when they needed to. Been doing it all season. Entitled team, now it's ova.
Yeah I f'n hate Golden State with a passion so seeing them lose that game and knowing team is dunzo as constructed is very nice...
I am with you, plus the stunned look on their faces when they realized they were going to lose with 5 minutes left to play.
Schadenfreude.

Now I want to see Philly whoop the Heat. 2 reasons. 1) Butler's an ass forcing his way out of town everywhere he goes. Payback for JE.
2) Knicks are already crying about having to play a tough opponent in round one.
Yeah Butlers a total bitch, for reasons well beyond what he did to the wolves...
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

focker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:57 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:19 pm

Schadenfreude.

Yeah Butlers a total bitch, for reasons well beyond what he did to the wolves...
"Playoff Jimmy" sure showed up tonight! Never seen a guy get so much credit for accomplishing nothing.
focker

Post by focker »

A$$MAN wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:38 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:19 pm I am with you, plus the stunned look on their faces when they realized they were going to lose with 5 minutes left to play.
Schadenfreude.

"Playoff Jimmy" sure showed up tonight! Never seen a guy get so much credit for accomplishing nothing.
100%. In his mind he thinks he's on the level of the top 5 guys in the NBA, but IMO he's not even in the top 30.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

You guys are nuts. 2 finals appearances, 1 ECF appearance and was dragging the wolves to a top 2-3 seed before injury, then they had to win the last game of the season to make the playoffs.

Douche or not, dude can ball.
focker

Post by focker »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 am You guys are nuts. 2 finals appearances, 1 ECF appearance and was dragging the wolves to a top 2-3 seed before injury, then they had to win the last game of the season to make the playoffs.

One of those finals appearances was the bubble season and doesn't mean much...
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 am You guys are nuts. 2 finals appearances, 1 ECF appearance and was dragging the wolves to a top 2-3 seed before injury, then they had to win the last game of the season to make the playoffs.

Again, what has he won? Your seriously declaring an ECF appearance as some type of major accomplishment? Trae Young has done that and people shit all over him. Also, you can feel free to eliminate one of those finals appearances...that pandemic bubble shit has asterisks all over it.

If Towns had the same resume, people would be destroying him for not being able to close the deal, calling him a choker, empty stat padder, etc.

Butler's biggest problem is he needs to be the unchallenged man on his team, but he's not good enough to actual win anything in that role. Until he actual wins something, he's a lot of self created hype.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

focker wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

100%. In his mind he thinks he's on the level of the top 5 guys in the NBA, but IMO he's not even in the top 30.
Plus he misses a ton of games every year. Lets not forget that bitch ass hairdo and all those fishhooks he thought was cute. :roll:
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 am

Again, what has he won? Your seriously declaring an ECF appearance as some type of major accomplishment? Trae Young has done that and people shit all over him. Also, you can feel free to eliminate one of those finals appearances...that pandemic bubble shit has asterisks all over it.

If Towns had the same resume, people would be destroying him for not being able to close the deal, calling him a choker, empty stat padder, etc.

Butler's biggest problem is he needs to be the unchallenged man on his team, but he's not good enough to actual win anything in that role. Until he actual wins something, he's a lot of self created hype.
:yeahthat:
Nothing more to add.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 am
focker wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

Plus he misses a ton of games every year. Lets not forget that bitch ass hairdo he thought was cute. :roll:
Right...that's why I don't like the argument "he was dragging Towns and the Wolves to a top 2-3 seed before he got hurt." He's hurt every year and any sane person should have known that was going to happen. Like they say, the best ability is availability.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 amLets not forget that bitch ass hairdo and all those fishhooks he thought was cute. :roll:
I always look forward to the goof-ass looks he comes up with on media day. Makes me laugh.
focker

Post by focker »

Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

If KAT dragged 2 teams to the Finals no one (no one serious) would ever call him a loser :lol:

Butler is a lot of things, but that man is a great player.Hate him for what he did to the Wolves but no reason to pretend he isn't a great player.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 pm If KAT dragged 2 teams to the Finals no one (no one serious) would ever call him a loser :lol:

Butler is a lot of things, but that man is a great player.Hate him for what he did to the Wolves but no reason to pretend he isn't a great player.
Butler is a very good player...but he ain't elite like he and others think he is. The way some people bow down to him you would think he won multiple championships, was a perennial MVP candidate, scoring champion, defensive player of the year, etc. He hasn't, nor will he ever win a championship being the #1 on his team. Not going to happen and he can't handle playing second fiddle to anyone.

Like it or not, he's closer to Towns than he is to LeBron. Too bad HE thinks otherwise...
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 pm If KAT dragged 2 teams to the Finals no one (no one serious) would ever call him a loser :lol:

And I'm pretty sure I never called him a loser...at least as a player. He's definitely a loser as a person, teammate, etc.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

And this is another problem I have with Butler. I personally think he likes the idea of "dragging" teams to whatever small success they might have. As the "best player", he gets ALL the credit for any success the team has yet never has to answer to the failures. It's always his teammates fault.

He's set himself up perfectly for never having to accept responsibility because he doesn't have good enough teammates and there are no real expectations for a championship with HIS teams. He's always the underdog.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Butler is aaron Rodgers of the nba as far as never having to take blame for a team. He sat half the year and thought they will once again go deep as a 7 or 8 seed like it’s the formula now get outta here. Not shocked he got injured once he applied himself. Would have rather seen him get knocked out healthy but whatever.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I don’t like Butler either. But this is funny. I mean, more evidence he’s a terrible teammate, but the line is funny.
Jimmy Butler and Tyler Herro had to be separated on the Miami Heat team bus after last night's game against the 76ers:

Butler kept saying “9 for 27” and Herro reportedly threw a punch that did not connect. Butler then yelled “9 FOR 28!”

(Per @IraHeatBeat )
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Such a dumb myopic view of accomplishments. I guess KG wasn't a great player for the Wolves.

Yes, his apparent inability to play nice with others is a problem, but what he has accomplished while not being the most gifted player in the league is remarkable and you guys are too blinded by hatred to see it.

Whatever, you hate him, I get it, but saying he's done nothing is a lie. Many a great player never won a ring.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 am

Such a dumb myopic view of accomplishments. I guess KG wasn't a great player for the Wolves.

Yes, his apparent inability to play nice with others is a problem, but what he has accomplished while not being the most gifted player in the league is remarkable and you guys are too blinded by hatred to see it.

Whatever, you hate him, I get it, but saying he's done nothing is a lie. Many a great player never won a ring.
FYI...KG got blasted all the time for "not being able to get his team out of the first round" so to say he didn't have his haters is inaccurate.

As for Jimmy, I don't hate the player. He's a very good player. I just don't think he's a God like some of you do. As for accomplishments, he would absolutely have had a more successful career had he been a better teammate as opposed to continually throwing teammates, coaches, owners, and organizations under the bus. He's a self-centered prick that needs everything about him. You need to look no further than media day...if a guy like Towns pulls that stupid, immature shit he would get crucified by everyone. Sorry, it's just tough to root for a PERSON like that.

What separates Butler from a guy like James Harden who is absolutely more accomplished as a player? Harden is seen as a diva, drama queen who continually faces scrutiny from everyone for his actions. Yet Butler does the same things and is looked at as some kind of hero who can do no wrong and "only wants to win."

Finally, Butler will never win a ring because he would rather be THE MAN...and I think we've seen enough to realize he just isn't good enough to do that. Sorry, that's just reality.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 amWhat separates Butler from a guy like James Harden who is absolutely more accomplished as a player?
Based on what? His lone MVP?

If I had to choose one of the two to build a team around from a strict gameplay aspect, it's Butler every time because I won't ever question his effort.

Harden's a lazy sonofabitch who *should* be much more accomplished than he actually is.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think Harden and Butler are both in that second tier of stars - but because of Butler's D, I'd take him.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 am
A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 amWhat separates Butler from a guy like James Harden who is absolutely more accomplished as a player?

If I had to choose one of the two to build a team around from a strict gameplay aspect, it's Butler every time because I won't ever question his effort.

Harden's a lazy sonofabitch who *should* be much more accomplished than he actually is.
I have no idea what Moses was implying when he stated "Jimmy's accomplishments" as a measurement for his greatness. I do know it's not championships so I assumed he was talking about individual accomplishments? All NBA, all star teams, defensive teams, scoring champion, Olympic medals? In that regard, yes Harden is absolutely above Butler.

My Butler and Harden comparison was based on the fact they are the same tier of player and have forced their way off many teams by being complete fuckheads. One is seen as a diva and one is a hero. Why is that?

Regarding Harden being lazy and *should* be more accomplished...shouldn't that same statement be even more relevant for Butler? You know, the self proclaimed hardest working man in the NBA?
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

If those were my options to build a team around...bring on the tank. Also, I disagree you can't question his effort. He absolutely shut it down here by refusing to practice and play while he fucked with Thibs. The guy has shown on multiple occasions it's all about Jimmy. I don't think you can deny that.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pm

I have no idea what Moses was implying when he stated "Jimmy's accomplishments" as a measurement for his greatness. I do know it's not championships so I assumed he was talking about individual accomplishments? All NBA, all star teams, defensive teams, scoring champion, Olympic medals? In that regard, yes Harden is absolutely above Butler.

My Butler and Harden comparison was based on the fact they are the same tier of player and have forced their way off many teams by being complete fuckheads. One is seen as a diva and one is a hero. Why is that?

Regarding Harden being lazy and *should* be more accomplished...shouldn't that same statement be even more relevant for Butler? You know, the self proclaimed hardest working man in the NBA?
You're intentionally being obtuse, so you don't have to acknowledge getting to the finals is an accomplishment, especially when you're the best player on the team. If the only metric is winning a ring, again, most everyone that played is garbage in your mind. The Glove, Malone, Barkley, Kevin Johnson, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If the wolves get to the finals, I hope you say they are utter and complete failures as basketball players.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 pm
A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pm

You're intentionally being obtuse, so you don't have to acknowledge getting to the finals is an accomplishment, especially when you're the best player on the team. If the only metric is winning a ring, again, most everyone that played is garbage in your mind. The Glove, Malone, Barkley, Kevin Johnson, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If the wolves get to the finals, I hope you say they are utter and complete failures as basketball players.
Getting to the finals is an accomplishment (excluding the covid year)...but why does that make him immune to scrutiny? Unfortunately most players, especially those considered to be great, are judged on championships. That's not just me saying that...turn on any media outlet and you'll hear that commentary. It's usually the first thing you hear when people mention Barkley, Malone, Stockton, etc.

With that said, I've never declared anyone a failure for not winning a championship. I HAVE said he's never won anything and that's a fact. Long story short, you can still be a great player and not a failure if you don't win a championship. But you will be judged on that fact.

Back to the original point, all I've said is he's a good player, not a great player. You think otherwise. I never once said he's garbage as a player...as a PERSON and TEAMMATE, that's a different story. I still maintain no team that has Butler as their best player will win a championship. He's simply not good enough.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pmRegarding Harden being lazy and *should* be more accomplished...shouldn't that same statement be even more relevant for Butler? You know, the self proclaimed hardest working man in the NBA?
Not really. Harden's unquestionably the more talented player. He was the more heralded player at every level, but he's underachieved because he's fucking lazy. If he had Butler's work ethic this wouldn't even be a comparison.