Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What about Drake Maye?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Oriole81

Re: What about Drake Maye?

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 am
cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 am

yep. gotta believe the giants are in the market for a QB this year.
I know that there is the talk about the Giants' contract with Jones having an out clause, but this feels too soon for them to go quarterback. They would probably prefer to trade down with us for two first rounders. I was picking for them in our rube draft and had them take Rattler in round 2. I think they will take a quarterback, but that high in the draft would be unusual.
Lots of reports coming out that they are not hiding the fact that they are looking for their next QB. They are on the hook for $40 million this year and then they can wipe their hands of him. I could see Jones starting the season as the starter and then moving on by mid season. Just like we would do with Darnold.
Jones also has an injury guarantee for 2025, so they have HUGE incentive to not even play him and let that happen.
Similar to RG3s last year in Washington or Russ at the end of last year in Denver.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 am
cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 am

The Giants? I don’t really see it because you would have a tough locker room.

This morning everything on social media is about Kiper saying we will trade 11, 23, and next year’s first to the Chargers for McCarthy.

That seems too steep. Next year’s first is too high in my opinion.
Why is it too steep?
Going to #3 for Maye, who they covet, seems like a likely trade scenario with 3 #1s and maybe a #3 for a kicker (the one from Osborn, who they signed). Trading all that for McCarthy just seems like too much. No one else can offer anything close to that and I don't think McCarthy is worth mortgaging so much of the future of this team on. Although, his rookie deal allows us to sign more free agents, but anyone worth anything isn't gonna be cheap in free agency.

Outside of Mlhouse here I don't think anyone is totally sold on JJ being a top 5 pick kind of guy. I guess we can reach, but that asking price from his former coach is way higher than precedent. I'm sure Harbaugh would love all those picks, but also, it feels like he is overinflating JJ's value from the inside out. I doubt he would do us any favors being that he would be taking these picks from a guy who didn't hire him.
You can't trade the one from Osborn BTW. You would need to trade our regular third and keep the Osborn one.

But that's the issue with the steep price. If you think JJ is going to be great, no price is too steep and if you think he is going to be just good, then why trade up for him at all?
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 am
cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 am

I know that there is the talk about the Giants' contract with Jones having an out clause, but this feels too soon for them to go quarterback. They would probably prefer to trade down with us for two first rounders. I was picking for them in our rube draft and had them take Rattler in round 2. I think they will take a quarterback, but that high in the draft would be unusual.
Lots of reports coming out that they are not hiding the fact that they are looking for their next QB. They are on the hook for $40 million this year and then they can wipe their hands of him. I could see Jones starting the season as the starter and then moving on by mid season. Just like we would do with Darnold.
Jones also has an injury guarantee for 2025, so they have HUGE incentive to not even play him and let that happen.
Similar to RG3s last year in Washington or Russ at the end of last year in Denver.
Yeah… that seals it for me. NY is moving up. I will laugh my ass off when they move up for McCarthy and he ends up being Danny Dimes 2.0.
Last edited by Small Hands on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am

Yeah… that seals it for me. NY is moving up.
I think we can still beat the Giants offer, but in that case we'd have to be willing to go 3 ones.

The one thing working in our favor is that AZ is already versed in trading down and then immediately trading back up, after having done it last year going from 3 to 12 to 6.
They already have two 1sts this year as well as 7 total picks in just about the Top 100, so add in a 3rd 1 this year as well as an additional 1 next year, and they'll have plenty of ammo to get back into the Top 10 for one of Nabers or Odunze.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 am

I think we can still beat the Giants offer, but in that case we'd have to be willing to go 3 ones.

The one thing working in our favor is that AZ is already versed in trading down and then immediately trading back up, after having done it last year going from 3 to 12 to 6.
They already have two 1sts this year as well as 7 total picks in just about the Top 100, so add in a 3rd 1 this year as well as an additional 1 next year, and they'll have plenty of ammo to get back into the Top 10 for one of Nabers or Odunze.
In theory, that sounds nice, but I think they’d rather take a slight move down and ensure that they get their WR, than gamble on someone willing to trade with them to move back up. You could be right, but there are more variables involved in that scenario.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

You also better be damn sure that JJ McCarthy is the real deal if you are giving up 3 first round picks. I feel the same way about Maye or Daniels as well.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 am

In theory, that sounds nice, but I think they’d rather take a slight move down and ensure that they get their WR, than gamble on someone willing to trade with them to move back up. You could be right, but there are more variables involved in that scenario.
I don't think there's much difference between Nabers and Odunze.
But they'd be walking away from the crown jewel of Harrison either way, so it better be worth their while.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am You also better be damn sure that JJ McCarthy is the real deal if you are giving up 3 first round picks. I feel the same way about Maye or Daniels as well.
Oh, for damn sure.

My macro premise has always been that I would be fine with paying the cost to get up, but I just didn't want to get bullshitted.
But if the Giants are now in on QB, then there's no way to leap them without going 3.

A silver lining I guess is, I'm not convinced that Penix or Nix will warrant a 2nd contract, so I'd only be drafting them with an expectation of a 5 year window.
McCarthy at least enough age/upside on his side to where you could easily envision a 10 year run, so part of what you're getting out of this payment is to not have to worry about the hassle of finding another QB in the next few years.

Hopefully though McCarthy becomes more of an Allen level prospect vs a Dak/Cousins level guy because you pretty much have to give him an extension considering the price, but then possibly we're right back to where we were before paying a big contract to a QB in the 8-12 range.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:40 pm More non-binding circumstantial evidence that could mean everything or nothing.

Steam building that the Giants are becoming more open to talk trades to move up for a QB. Gonna be hard to out bid the team with the 6th pick. Hope they figure it out.
Or: Smokescreen to make sure the QBs go high after some more recent talk of them slipping. They want an elite WR to fall to them at 6. Probably Nabers.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Yeah… that seals it for me. NY is moving up. I will laugh my ass off when they move up for McCarthy and he ends up being Danny Dimes 2.0.
I think they’re both far better prospects than Jones, who was a massive reach in a down year.
But even if they’re not studs, you still get to move back to a rookie scale contract QB for 5 years, which is still a plus.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 am

I think they’re both far better prospects than Jones, who was a massive reach in a down year.
But even if they’re not studs, you still get to move back to a rookie scale contract QB for 5 years, which is still a plus.
That’s the only path I see. They eat their mistake for one more year and have the most expensive backup in the league. They see the potential at the top and they are in a position to make it happen. Sucks because I think they will out bid us.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:30 am

That’s the only path I see. They eat their mistake for one more year and have the most expensive backup in the league. They see the potential at the top and they are in a position to make it happen. Sucks because I think they will out bid us.
* I do think that's a sign of strong leadership though. Not compounding the mistake by trying to double down on it.
*Regarding "outbid," it all comes down to what the other team finds to be more attractive. 6 is better than 11 for sure, but our 2nd pick is 24 slots higher than the Giants, which is pretty sizable considering I think there's a dead spot in RD2.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 am
Why is it too steep?
Going to #3 for Maye, who they covet, seems like a likely trade scenario with 3 #1s and maybe a #3 for a kicker (the one from Osborn, who they signed). Trading all that for McCarthy just seems like too much. No one else can offer anything close to that and I don't think McCarthy is worth mortgaging so much of the future of this team on. Although, his rookie deal allows us to sign more free agents, but anyone worth anything isn't gonna be cheap in free agency.

Outside of Mlhouse here I don't think anyone is totally sold on JJ being a top 5 pick kind of guy. I guess we can reach, but that asking price from his former coach is way higher than precedent. I'm sure Harbaugh would love all those picks, but also, it feels like he is overinflating JJ's value from the inside out. I doubt he would do us any favors being that he would be taking these picks from a guy who didn't hire him.
You can't trade the one from Osborn BTW. You would need to trade our regular third and keep the Osborn one.

But that's the issue with the steep price. If you think JJ is going to be great, no price is too steep and if you think he is going to be just good, then why trade up for him at all?
I would do 3 1sts to move to #3, but not to #4 or lower. I am not as high on JJ as I am on Maye. Although, Maye reminds me of Rick Spielman's picks of guys who were good one year and then slipped. Maye and JJ have a lot more question marks than Williams, but his stats slipped slightly this year too.

JJ is a big risk. He could be like Lance or a lot of other guys who were really young and they went on potential.

If the coaches see on film enough to believe that JJ will be great they should make the big trade. If there isn't that big of a difference between him and the others lower than him they might as well stay pat. I'm hoping the Patriots take our picks and let us take Maye.

I don't want this trade to be so big that we don't take another first round quarterback toward the top for the next few decades.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 pm

I would do 3 1sts to move to #3, but not to #4 or lower. I am not as high on JJ as I am on Maye. Although, Maye reminds me of Rick Spielman's picks of guys who were good one year and then slipped. Maye and JJ have a lot more question marks than Williams, but his stats slipped slightly this year too.

JJ is a big risk. He could be like Lance or a lot of other guys who were really young and they went on potential.

If the coaches see on film enough to believe that JJ will be great they should make the big trade. If there isn't that big of a difference between him and the others lower than him they might as well stay pat. I'm hoping the Patriots take our picks and let us take Maye.

I don't want this trade to be so big that we don't take another first round quarterback toward the top for the next few decades.
all reasonable points and I think I agree with almost all of them.

cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 am

* I do think that's a sign of strong leadership though. Not compounding the mistake by trying to double down on it.
*Regarding "outbid," it all comes down to what the other team finds to be more attractive. 6 is better than 11 for sure, but our 2nd pick is 24 slots higher than the Giants, which is pretty sizable considering I think there's a dead spot in RD2.
The Vikings' homer in me would never think to take a quarterback while one is here and young. Jones won a playoff game already and would be best served by them getting a top receiver.

JJ did have way better college stats than Jones did, but it feels like this year would be too soon. If Jones sucks they will pick high next year. If they take JJ and do a big trade for him there goes being able to build around him.

The Giants talk might be out there to get us to add more trade capital.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

The hope has to be that we have the infrastructure in place to best maximize his potential.
The glass-half full take on Maye's "regression" was that he had a change in OC/QB coach last year and he lost his #1 WR, but we have multiple "strong" offensive coaches on our staff as well as top end offensive playmakers, so he wouldn't be on an island so much here.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 pm

The Vikings' homer in me would never think to take a quarterback while one is here and young. Jones won a playoff game already and would be best served by them getting a top receiver.

JJ did have way better college stats than Jones did, but it feels like this year would be too soon. If Jones sucks they will pick high next year. If they take JJ and do a big trade for him there goes being able to build around him.

I feel like Jones won a playoff game the way that guys like Mariotta, Tebow, Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, Teddy (had Walsh not missed the FG) have won playoff games, by being on a rookie scale contract and being able to be surrounded by better talent, and having a coach that knows how to put you in a position to win.

The Giants playoff win should have been a validation of Daboll as a great offensive coach and have the corresponding move be doing what they can to get him a QB with more upside, vs just paying Jones a 2nd contract, even if they built in an out clause.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:14 pm

The hope has to be that we have the infrastructure in place to best maximize his potential.
The glass-half full take on Maye's "regression" was that he had a change in OC/QB coach last year and he lost his #1 WR, but we have multiple "strong" offensive coaches on our staff as well as top end offensive playmakers, so he wouldn't be on an island so much here.
I hope so. I think our coaches want Maye bad. Now that we are a week away people are overhyping everything. Soon it will be Hershel Walker compensation to move up one spot for Nix. :lol:

We should get Atlanta's pick in a swap because without Cousins on the roster we look desperate. I'm sure that is why signing Darnold was important.

We waited too long to do this though. I was saying 2 years ago to begin to get more picks to move up last year. I like that we picked up these picks as it is not what we usually do around here.

Although, had the 49ers not made Purdy Mr. Irrelevant he would have come here. So maybe our staff does know a thing or two?
Purdy told ESPN that the three teams that in addition to the 49ers, the two teams that showed interest in signing him as an undrafted rookie were the Vikings and Texans.

If Purdy had ended up with the Vikings, then the Vikings would have perhaps the best young quarterback in football. Of course, they might not know it, because Kirk Cousins hasn’t missed a game. The 49ers only realized what they had in Purdy after both Trey Lance and Jimmy Garoppolo were injured.

Could Purdy have done for the Vikings what he’s done for the 49ers? We’ll never know. For Vikings fans, however, it’s a missed opportunity and a big what-if.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 pm

I hope so. I think our coaches want Maye bad. Now that we are a week away people are overhyping everything. Soon it will be Hershel Walker compensation to move up one spot for Nix. :lol:

We should get Atlanta's pick in a swap because without Cousins on the roster we look desperate. I'm sure that is why signing Darnold was important.

We waited too long to do this though. I was saying 2 years ago to begin to get more picks to move up last year. I like that we picked up these picks as it is not what we usually do around here.

Although, had the 49ers not made Purdy Mr. Irrelevant he would have come here. So maybe our staff does know a thing or two?
Purdy told ESPN that the three teams that in addition to the 49ers, the two teams that showed interest in signing him as an undrafted rookie were the Vikings and Texans.

If Purdy had ended up with the Vikings, then the Vikings would have perhaps the best young quarterback in football. Of course, they might not know it, because Kirk Cousins hasn’t missed a game. The 49ers only realized what they had in Purdy after both Trey Lance and Jimmy Garoppolo were injured.

Could Purdy have done for the Vikings what he’s done for the 49ers? We’ll never know. For Vikings fans, however, it’s a missed opportunity and a big what-if.
If the Giants are now in the derby and the price to move up for either QB3 or 4 is the same three firsts, then yeah you may as well move up with the Pats and get your preferred guy.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 pm

I feel like Jones won a playoff game the way that guys like Mariotta, Tebow, Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, Teddy (had Walsh not missed the FG) have won playoff games, by being on a rookie scale contract and being able to be surrounded by better talent, and having a coach that knows how to put you in a position to win.

The Giants playoff win should have been a validation of Daboll as a great offensive coach and have the corresponding move be doing what they can to get him a QB with more upside, vs just paying Jones a 2nd contract, even if they built in an out clause.
pretty sure they're still happy with their coach. they weren't going to take a QB last year and jones showed enough that they took a chance that he was the real deal and extended him with that out clause. looks like they're going to use it. the only real mistake they made--and it's monetary--is doing that. made him a very rich man.

now they look to move on. the giants fan base is pretty much demanding that would be my guess--and that would make the giants talk very much real.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:40 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 pm

pretty sure they're still happy with their coach. they weren't going to take a QB last year and jones showed enough that they took a chance that he was the real deal and extended him with that out clause. looks like they're going to use it. the only real mistake they made--and it's monetary--is doing that. made him a very rich man.

now they look to move on. the giants fan base is pretty much demanding that would be my guess--and that would make the giants talk very much real.
They should be very happy with the coach was my point.
They may have one of the special few offensive coaches that can QB hop every few years if they can't find a truly special individual QB, and $80M is still $80M.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:46 am

But they'd be walking away from the crown jewel of Harrison either way, so it better be worth their while.
I just saw that the trade comp for AZ moving down from 4 to 6 is only a 3rd this year and a future 2nd.
That's not very much for missing out on the best WR prospect of our generation.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:42 pm

I just saw that the trade comp for AZ moving down from 4 to 6 is only a 3rd this year and a future 2nd.
I'm starting to think that Arizona is drafting at 4 and they are taking Harrison. They would only move if the compensation is heavily weighted in their advantage.

I think QBs go 1,2,3,5 or 6.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:47 pm

I'm starting to think that Arizona is drafting at 4 and they are taking Harrison. They would only move if the compensation is heavily weighted in their advantage.

me too. very easy for the giants to get to five if new england stays put too. the vikings moving up isn't looking like such a high percentage maneuver to me.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I had AZ in the froob draft.
They have 7 picks in the top 100, including two 1sts.
They don't need more picks in exchange for "lesser" overall players.

I agree with you.
It's probably just about controlling the draft dialogues.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 pm

me too. very easy for the giants to get to five if new england stays put too. the vikings moving up isn't looking like such a high percentage maneuver to me.
It could still be the most expensive single spot move up in history.

It's very possible that the Chargers could be most interested in a prospect like Fuaga vs Alt.
They already have a pro bowl LT so just taking Alt would mean they'd have to move one out of position.
Now, teams have done that before, but there could be value in them just being more interested in moving down to 11 (while also getting 23, which is a sizable difference from where the Giants pick in RD2) and taking a ready made pro bowl RT there in Fuaga instead of messing around trying to make one into a RT.

Thus, they are one team that could leverage the Vikes against the Giants to up their offer.
I wonder if they could get two firsts for the Giants to move up one spot.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I think the fantasy football numbers would be off the charts. Maye in Minnesota could be a great fit. He has some real inconsistencies with how the season ended last year. Doesn't make a ton of sense why because he started out really well. I don't hear this take often but when i watched his season in full in order it was really good to start.

He's super gifted, makes some really high end throws and he's really young. The ceiling for spectacular is there which makes it a fun prospect.

I don't know if he's gonna be a winner at the highest level and be able to handle those moments but I think without a doubt if he goes to Minny he's gonna put up the numbers and be an explosive offense.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 am

I think the fantasy football numbers would be off the charts. Maye in Minnesota could be a great fit. He has some real inconsistencies with how the season ended last year. Doesn't make a ton of sense why because he started out really well. I don't hear this take often but when i watched his season in full in order it was really good to start.

He's super gifted, makes some really high end throws and he's really young. The ceiling for spectacular is there which makes it a fun prospect.

I don't know if he's gonna be a winner at the highest level and be able to handle those moments but I think without a doubt if he goes to Minny he's gonna put up the numbers and be an explosive offense.
Put the right team around him and he’ll win. Patrick Mahomes was 5-7 his last year at Texas Tech. Mac Jones went 13-0 his last year at Alabama.

College W/L doesn’t really translate to the NFL in any meaningful way.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:59 am
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 am

Put the right team around him and he’ll win. Patrick Mahomes was 5-7 his last year at Texas Tech. Mac Jones went 13-0 his last year at Alabama.

Bingo
He’s a winner at the college level is such a lazy take it means absolutely nothing
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:59 am

This is true to some extent because of Mahomes.

I wouldn't discount it completely though. Take Tom for example, he lead multiple comeback wins in college. I didn't know this till I saw a documentary or something but the dude was putting on and displaying that winning drive that's made him a legend. In hindsight it was there to see. His overall stats are.... well Michigan like. Physical body, kinda dad bod at the time but between the ears he was a killer on the field. Crazy how it works.