Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

A Case For Nix

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: A Case For Nix

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pm
Norn_Iron wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 pm

So, just to be clear (its hard for me to keep up with all the bits etc..)

You all think Cousins sucks and set us back years?
You want us to get our franchise QB of the future this draft
And now you don't have the balls to trade up, and instead take a QB with known warts and issues?

That's at all 3 of you, not just Sergeant Rubetube
Spoiler:
shit or get off the pot
Hell yeah. Swing for the fences for a change. Be bold.
The Vikings will be bold and trade up for a QB if at all possible. That includes trading at least three 1st rounders to get the QB that they want. Almost zero percent chance that they stay put and pick.
I hope so.

And if they miss, they miss. That might mean they don’t win the Super Bowl in the next 3-5 years. Imagine that…
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Norn_Iron wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:47 pm
Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 pm

Agreed
X2
So, just to be clear (its hard for me to keep up with all the bits etc..)

You all think Cousins sucks and set us back years?
You want us to get our franchise QB of the future this draft
And now you don't have the balls to trade up, and instead take a QB with known warts and issues?

That's at all 3 of you, not just Sergeant Rubetube
Spoiler:
shit or get off the pot
First off Cousins didn’t suck but you are pretty much guaranteed to win nothing for how much cap space he takes up as he can’t hide warts on your team.

Secondly, he didn’t set us back years. He maintained the status quo of this team for pretty much all of my life as a fan. A retread who kept us mediocre.

And I also never said I didn’t want to take a swing. My #1 hope is we trade for Maye and I don’t care if it’s 3 1st rounders or something that included Jefferson. What I’m not doing is making a dumb ass trade just to make one and the question was making a big trade for someone like McCarthy which I wouldn’t do.

I’m all for trading whatever need be to land one of the top 3 guys. I’m not trading a bunch of picks to get QB #4 though. If it gets to that point, I rather just sit back and use both 1st rounders as I don’t think there is a big difference between the tier two guys.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 pm
William Munny wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pm

Hell yeah. Swing for the fences for a change. Be bold.
The Vikings will be bold and trade up for a QB if at all possible. That includes trading at least three 1st rounders to get the QB that they want. Almost zero percent chance that they stay put and pick.
I hope so.

And if they miss, they miss. That might mean they don’t win the Super Bowl in the next 3-5 years. Imagine that…
For sure. I do guesstimate that the Vikings are negotiating with NE for pick #3 and with AZ for pick #4. Maye is the primary target, but McCarthy is a close second.
Norn_Iron

Post by Norn_Iron »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:25 pm I’m all for trading whatever need be to land one of the top 3 guys. I’m not trading a bunch of picks to get QB #4 though. If it gets to that point, I rather just sit back and use both 1st rounders as I don’t think there is a big difference between the tier two guys.
But, here in lies the rub

You say your arent interested in trading up for QB4. But who is QB4? I guess you think its McCarthy, so thats fine.
If Maye is QB4 do you trade up?

What you are saying is as good as this nugget
Head Coach wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 pm Bo Nix in my mind is a cross of Drew Brees and Johnny Manziel.
So he could be a future hof, or a complete bust......please hold, I have Nostradamus on the other line....
Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
Norn_Iron

Post by Norn_Iron »

Norn_Iron wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:58 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:25 pm I’m all for trading whatever need be to land one of the top 3 guys. I’m not trading a bunch of picks to get QB #4 though. If it gets to that point, I rather just sit back and use both 1st rounders as I don’t think there is a big difference between the tier two guys.

You say your arent interested in trading up for QB4. But who is QB4? I guess you think its McCarthy, so thats fine.

Head Coach wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 pm Bo Nix in my mind is a cross of Drew Brees and Johnny Manziel.
So he could be a future hof, or a complete bust......please hold, I have Nostradamus on the other line....
Sorry. My bad.

He agrees that whoever QB4 is will be shit
and
Bp Nix will either be :
A) HOF
B) Biggest Bust ever
C) Somewhere Inbetween A & B
Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Norn_Iron wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:58 pm

I don’t care if some team is dumb enough to draft JJ over Maye. Everyone knows who the BIG3 are. Everyone else is just a consolation prize.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

If the Vikings draft JJ that would be the last straw for me because this is a sign of remaining mediocre for years to come.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 pm If the Vikings draft JJ that would be the last straw for me because this is a sign of remaining mediocre for years to come.
He’s not a favorite of mine but as I have said before, I can live with him being picked at #11.

Trading up for any of the guys after Williams, Daniels and Maye is puke worthy for me though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

cdr2529 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 pm If the Vikings draft JJ that would be the last straw for me because this is a sign of remaining mediocre for years to come.
Why? He’s proved to be a winner if he has a dominant run game.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Just makes me want to trade up for McCarthy even more now. Every year it's the same shit. People put it on the line for some gut feeling of who the Vikings should stay away from or trade up for. No NFL inside information or acumen, just some feeling they have. It's who they want, not what they know. They come on here and shit all over the pick and attack others who support it.

Half of these first-round NFL QBs will be busts. It could be Williams, Daniels, Maye, JJ, or three or four of them. Who knows.

I like Maye, but there are a million people out there who know more than me, and many do not like Maye. So I don't give a shit who they draft. I am just glad they're making first-day investments into the position. Whoever they select, I will get behind. I was upset they passed on Hamilton and Jordan Davis and dropped down for Cine, and that's the only move so far that's pissed me off. However, I happen to trust this head coach and staff when it comes to selecting the QB of the future. That's not being a "homer," either. That's just not being the typical NFL fan piece of shit that think they know more than people who've dedicated their lives to this sport.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 pm Just makes me want to trade up for McCarthy even more now. Every year it's the same shit. People put it on the line for some gut feeling of who the Vikings should stay away from or trade up for. No NFL inside information or acumen, just some feeling they have. It's who they want, not what they know. They come on here and shit all over the pick and attack others who support it.

Half of these first-round NFL QBs will be busts. It could be Williams, Daniels, Maye, JJ, or three or four of them. Who knows.

I like Maye, but there are a million people out there who know more than me, and many do not like Maye. So I don't give a shit who they draft. I am just glad they're making first-day investments into the position. Whoever they select, I will get behind. I was upset they passed on Hamilton and Jordan Davis and dropped down for Cine, and that's the only move so far that's pissed me off. However, I happen to trust this head coach and staff when it comes to selecting the QB of the future. That's not being a "homer," either. That's just not being the typical NFL fan piece of shit that think they know more than people who've dedicated their lives to this sport.
We get it… It’s really important for you to stick it to some nameless, faceless men on the internet but by any chance can you post anything different? This is literally all you’ve been crying about for almost a year.

You’ve been completely lobotomized by the trolls. Piece yourself back together Frankenstein, it’s almost draft day.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Doogie seems convinced that Nix is the back up plan if they cant trade up... and preferred over Penix.

I suppose we need to brace ourselves with this being a possibility.
Offsides 97 defense

minnemike wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am Doogie seems convinced that Nix is the back up plan if they cant trade up... and preferred over Penix.

I hope they can make it happen with New England. If not, I would be ok with that. Landing another defensive starter on the first day is not the world's end. If that does happen, use another late-round pick on Milton or Pratt.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

minnemike wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am Doogie seems convinced that Nix is the back up plan if they cant trade up... and preferred over Penix.

Schrager's most recent mock this week had us taking Terrion Arnold at 11 (visited the Vikes this week) and then Nix at 23.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Offsides 97 defense

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:44 am

Schrager's most recent mock this week had us taking Terrion Arnold at 11 (visited the Vikes this week) and then Nix at 23.
I can't imagine sane Vikings fans would have a problem with this scenario.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

what are the broncos doing in that scenario?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:49 am

what are the broncos doing in that scenario?
Pass on QB and take Latu
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
salamander

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:04 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:02 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 am

that a compliment?
I don't know. Maybe? I never loved Cam but he got to the SB.
And an MVP.
Probably underdelivered on the potential he had, but it’s hard to think of his career as anything but a success.
I’d be very happy if was told that our next QB would provide a Cam-like result.
I definitely wouldn't be unhappy. The guy had a weird skillset for QB but it worked.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 am

CB's are scary man, there are some guys that are just flat out studs though. Even after all the crap they went through wasting picks on CB's I was on board with the guy the Chiefs got a few years ago. He was a serial box checker.

I feel like long term you're better suited to get Byron Murphy. You improve the trenches and these guys generally last longer and have staying power.

CB's these days are hurt a lot and don't stay in their prime very long.

Ideally IMO if they pick 11 and 23 one of those guys is a premier prospect in the trenches. CB is without a doubt a need though. You always need 5 or 6 legit guys that can play cause they get hurt way to often.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:52 am

CB's are scary man, there are some guys that are just flat out studs though. Even after all the crap they went through wasting picks on CB's I was on board with the guy the Chiefs got a few years ago. He was a serial box checker.

I feel like long term you're better suited to get Byron Murphy. You improve the trenches and these guys generally last longer and have staying power.

Ideally IMO if they pick 11 and 23 one of those guys is a premier prospect in the trenches. CB is without a doubt a need though. You always need 5 or 6 legit guys that can play cause they get hurt way to often.
I think everyone is sick of this team taking 1st round corners. Every year there are mocks with us taking a first round corner.

We need a quarterback. We've got two firsts. We need to trade up, but not trade away too much of the future.
salamander

Post by salamander »

OMG, I would just be as happy as a pig in a blanket if Terrion Arnold was our pick.
All the makings of a shut down corner.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I think the conversation around taking a CB in RD1 also is the fact that there's more value for DL in RD4 than there is for CB, especially CBs with the size/speed capable of being true outside CBs.
So if they went CB/QB to start, there's a good shot that when we're back on the clock we could get one of Maason Smith, Leonard Taylor, Dewayne Carter, who all have "diamond in the rough" potential with perfect size for our scheme.

Then hopefully Flores can get the most out of them, and the team as a whole is better.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 pm

I think the conversation around taking a CB in RD1 also is the fact that there's more value for DL in RD4 than there is for CB, especially CBs with the size/speed capable of being true outside CBs.
So if they went CB/QB to start, there's a good shot that when we're back on the clock we could get one of Maason Smith, Leonard Taylor, Dewayne Carter, who all have "diamond in the rough" potential with perfect size for our scheme.

Then hopefully Flores can get the most out of them, and the team as a whole is better.
Yep - just like how some are shy about QB due to the crappy history with the picks - the same can be said about CB with how past regime's have drafted. Just another case of trusting the process and the new regime and grade them only with the facts.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

There is definitely something to be said for playing the depth of the draft.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I haven't dove deep on these CB's but nobody talks about Mitchell. Guy ran a 4.33 and benched 20 reps at the combine.

He has a higher ranking from Arnold at NFL.com. PFF had some eye popping results from his film grading him very well for CB's out of the last several drafts.

I'm not really sure how Arnold has all the sudden emerged as the number one CB with a 4.5 and questions about his ability to run heavy man coverage scheme.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

There's a thread 'making the case' for 3 or 4 QBs now and there doesn't seem to be a #1 consensus in any of them. Kind of indicates that as usual it's a crapshoot.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

The thing I love about Flores is that although he preaches versatility, if he finds a guy that's only good at 1 thing, he'll try to put that player in position to succeed. Rather than a lot of coaches who will try to make them into something they clearly are not.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm I haven't dove deep on these CB's but nobody talks about Mitchell. Guy ran a 4.33 and benched 20 reps at the combine.

He has a higher ranking from Arnold at NFL.com. PFF had some eye popping results from his film grading him very well for CB's out of the last several drafts.

I'm not really sure how Arnold has all the sudden emerged as the number one CB with a 4.5 and questions about his ability to run heavy man coverage scheme.
Tons of people are taking about Mitchell. He’s a lock 1st round pick and is the consensus #2 corner in the draft. He was the #2 corner in our Froob draft. But it’s fair to have Arnold ahead of him. Arnold played at Alabama. Mitchell played at Toledo. Who played against better WRs, QBs, and offensive schemes?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm I haven't dove deep on these CB's but nobody talks about Mitchell. Guy ran a 4.33 and benched 20 reps at the combine.

Tons of people are taking about Mitchell. He’s a lock 1st round pick and is the consensus #2 corner in the draft. He was the #2 corner in our Froob draft. But it’s fair to have Arnold ahead of him. Arnold played at Alabama. Mitchell played at Toledo. Who played against better WRs, QBs, and offensive schemes?
Mitchell all day over Arnold.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm There's a thread 'making the case' for 3 or 4 QBs now and there doesn't seem to be a #1 consensus in any of them. Kind of indicates that as usual it's a crapshoot.
I could start a thread making a case for Caleb Williams if you want