Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

A Case For Nix

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beetlejuice

Re: A Case For Nix

Post by Beetlejuice »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 pm Then they basically all do, the only one that took snaps under center was McCarthy. I'd like him to sit but who knows he might be good right away on a solid team.

It's always hard to tell, some guys are just ready and it's not too big for them and pick up things quickly.

And as far as Oregon's offense goes it didn't slow down Herbert. Way to many unknowns to be certain about who is or isn't ready. It's really hard to project. You just hope you get it right.
JJ is only 21 years old. There’s alot more time to develop a 21 year old compared to a 24 year old. The 24 year old should be ready to plug and play.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 pm Then they basically all do, the only one that took snaps under center was McCarthy. I'd like him to sit but who knows he might be good right away on a solid team.

It's always hard to tell, some guys are just ready and it's not too big for them and pick up things quickly.

And as far as Oregon's offense goes it didn't slow down Herbert. Way to many unknowns to be certain about who is or isn't ready. It's really hard to project. You just hope you get it right.
That’s right. They all have a lot of work to do. But you said Bo is ready to sink or swim. I don’t think he is. I think he’s ready to sink. He’s got a lot to learn to swim at the NFL level. Arguably more, not less, than the others.

Penix is also a shotgun guy, but he’s used to throwing into tight windows. Maye has a lot of footwork things to fix, but he has a lot more experience running play-action (an NFL staple). Etc.

Nix’s throwing mechanics are pretty sound, so from a physical and technique perspective throwing the ball, he doesn’t have that much to tweak, but in terms of the mental processing aspect of the position, he’s practically at square one in the NFL.

He seems like a bright kid, so maybe the learning curve won’t be too steep, but he’s got to climb it or he’s not going to have much success. It’s a lot for him. There’s a lot for him to learn.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

Bo Nix in my mind is a cross of Drew Brees and Johnny Manziel.

The whole age thing is a little overblown.
Daniels is not much younger, Burrows was an old man coming out too.

May not have the strongest arm but he's got a very compact and quick release. Good at altering arm angles and all that good stuff.

Biggest issue is the decision making. Often hesitant to make tight windows throws and will either put the ball in a very safe spot (not always a good thing), struggle to find his next read / not let the route develop fully or will take off quick.

I'd say his value is 2nd round and I really only see the Broncos as a big threat for his services.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Head Coach wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 pm Bo Nix in my mind is a cross of Drew Brees and Johnny Manziel.

May not have the strongest arm but he's got a very compact and quick release. Good at altering arm angles and all that good stuff.

Biggest issue is the decision making. Often hesitant to make tight windows throws and will either put the ball in a very safe spot (not always a good thing), struggle to find his next read / not let the route develop fully or will take off quick.

I'd say his value is 2nd round and I really only see the Broncos as a big threat for his services.
I hear what you’re saying about his hesitation on tight window throws. I think it’s more his footwork can be inconsistent on his drop backs and affect his timing at times. That stuff can be cleared up. He’s pretty athletic and can create outside the pocket and seems to like doing that. Is he polished? No, but at pick 23, I don’t expect polished. I think his upside is great with proper coaching and pieces around him. I’d rather gamble on him than an injury prone Penix. I’d also rather take him than giving up 3 1sts for JJ. No clue where the Johnny Football comp came from. Certainly not from character.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 am
Head Coach wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 pm Bo Nix in my mind is a cross of Drew Brees and Johnny Manziel.

I hear what you’re saying about his hesitation on tight window throws. I think it’s more his footwork can be inconsistent on his drop backs and affect his timing at times. That stuff can be cleared up. He’s pretty athletic and can create outside the pocket and seems to like doing that. Is he polished? No, but at pick 23, I don’t expect polished. I think his upside is great with proper coaching and pieces around him. I’d rather gamble on him than an injury prone Penix. I’d also rather take him than giving up 3 1sts for JJ. No clue where the Johnny Football comp came from. Certainly not from character.
No, just on the field both good and bad.
Him and Johnny are amazing playmakers, are deadly with their mobility but also play a bit reckless at times (Nix not nearly as much), take off when they don't need to, etc.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Bo Nix has Cam Newton light written all over him.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 am Bo Nix has Cam Newton light written all over him.
that a compliment?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I'd rather take Nix with his warts at 23 than burn a lot of draft capital to take JJ and his unknown warts in the top five.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 pm I'd rather take Nix with his warts at 23 than burn a lot of draft capital to take JJ and his unknown warts in the top five.
Agreed
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

A lot of mocks have Nix going to the Rams in Rd 2. Tells me he is our type of quarterback, but seems like the poor man's Maye.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 pm I'd rather take Nix with his warts at 23 than burn a lot of draft capital to take JJ and his unknown warts in the top five.
Agreed
X2
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 am
salamander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 am Bo Nix has Cam Newton light written all over him.
that a compliment?
I don't know. Maybe? I never loved Cam but he got to the SB.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

I can see reason in this logic but at the same time, what does it tell you if Nix makes it to 23. That multiple QB needy teams thought he wasn't worth it.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:25 pm
I can see reason in this logic but at the same time, what does it tell you if Nix makes it to 23. That multiple QB needy teams thought he wasn't worth it.
What about the QB needy teams that passed on Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love, or Jalen Hurts. All drafted late 1st or 2nd round.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

I'm gonna need about a case of Busch latte if we end up settling on Nix after all this talk about moving up for one
of the top 4 QBs...
I made this!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm I'm gonna need about a case of Busch latte if we end up settling on Nix after all this talk about moving up for one
of the top 4 QBs...
Might be in your future. Pete Schrager from NFL net said this morning that his sources are telling him the Vikes are staying put. They want to keep pick 23, but were willing to part with next year’s 1st, and Arizona and LA want 3 1sts.

Obviously, it’s speculation, but he seems pretty dialed in with the rumor mill.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm I'm gonna need about a case of Busch latte if we end up settling on Nix after all this talk about moving up for one
of the top 4 QBs...
I'd bet the farm on McCarthy over Nix. We've seen Nix at Auburn and he sucked against NFL "lite" competition. The absolute worst case scenario should be taking Penix, Nix should never be an option.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:02 pm
that a compliment?
I don't know. Maybe? I never loved Cam but he got to the SB.
And an MVP.
Probably underdelivered on the potential he had, but it’s hard to think of his career as anything but a success.
I’d be very happy if was told that our next QB would provide a Cam-like result.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:03 pm
of the top 4 QBs...
I'd bet the farm on McCarthy over Nix. We've seen Nix at Auburn and he sucked against NFL "lite" competition. The absolute worst case scenario should be taking Penix, Nix should never be an option.
Players never improve!!
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:37 pm
Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:25 pm
What about the QB needy teams that passed on Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love, or Jalen Hurts. All drafted late 1st or 2nd round.
All valid points. For that matter, all the teams that passed on Brady or Wilson.

Although I do notice a theme of the ones that you mentioned......
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:11 pm
of the top 4 QBs...
Players never improve!!
I don't have confidence in a 24 year old college QB that threw mostly bubble screens Oregon changed their passing philosophy to match what Nix was good at. If he was a young 21 and just wasn't in the right system that would be a different story. We've seen Nix in two systems and the one that matches the NFL he sucked at.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

of the top 4 QBs...
I agree. I think plan "A" is the trade up for Maye. Plan "B" is to get McCarthy likely needing to trade up to get. Plan "C" is Penix. Plan "D" is go with Darnold. Plan "E" is Rattler. Plan "F" is Nix.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

that a compliment?
Nobody knows, really.

When he posts, we call it a "salamander." That's the appropriate euphemism.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Nix has all the tools. The #1 thing I'd be worried about is his comfort zone outside of that Oregon offense.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:18 pm Nix has all the tools.
Don't they all.
Norn_Iron

Post by Norn_Iron »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:47 pm
Agreed
X2
So, just to be clear (its hard for me to keep up with all the bits etc..)

You all think Cousins sucks and set us back years?
You want us to get our franchise QB of the future this draft
And now you don't have the balls to trade up, and instead take a QB with known warts and issues?

That's at all 3 of you, not just Sergeant Rubetube
Spoiler:
shit or get off the pot
Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:59 pm
of the top 4 QBs...
Might be in your future. Pete Schrager from NFL net said this morning that his sources are telling him the Vikes are staying put. They want to keep pick 23, but were willing to part with next year’s 1st, and Arizona and LA want 3 1sts.

I saw that...
I made this!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 pm
Small Hands wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:59 pm
of the top 4 QBs...

I saw that...
It’s all negotiation and smokescreen until next Thursday.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Norn_Iron wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 pm

Agreed
X2

And now you don't have the balls to trade up, and instead take a QB with known warts and issues?

Spoiler:
shit or get off the pot
Hell yeah. Swing for the fences for a change. Be bold.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pm
Norn_Iron wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 pm

X2

Spoiler:
shit or get off the pot
Hell yeah. Swing for the fences for a change. Be bold.
The Vikings will be bold and trade up for a QB if at all possible. That includes trading at least three 1st rounders to get the QB that they want. Almost zero percent chance that they stay put and pick.