Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Falcons Tampering? Will Vikes Get Compensation?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
William Munny

Falcons Tampering? Will Vikes Get Compensation?

Post by William Munny »

How great would it be if Atlanta is found to have tampered related to courting Kirk and the Vikes got compensation leading into this coming draft?

Thoughts?
When Kirk Cousins gave his introductory news conference as a member of the Atlanta Falcons, he talked about the good people in the organization that he’d talked and met with over the past day or two.

The problem with that is no member of an NFL team is allowed to contact a member of another team- which Cousins was until the official start of the new league year. A limited exception was made by the league- the so called ‘legal tampering period’ or two days before the start of the new league year- where teams are allowed to contact the registered agents of impending free agents in order to negotiate a contract. But contact is limited to the agent of the player, not the player himself, unless the player has no agent and is representing himself- which was not the case with Cousins.
Cousins admitted that he was in contract with the Atlanta Falcons head trainer, director of player personnel, and their Public Relations director during that press conference, which caused the league to open a tampering investigation the next day.

There are also reports from Atlanta Falcons tight-end Kyle Pitts that he was in contact with Cousins and attempting to recruit him weeks before the start of the new league year (which he later denied when the tampering question arose). As part of the investigation, the league will likely ask for phone/text records from Cousins and others implicated in the tampering allegations. They may also look into such things as when Cousins’ flight to Atlanta was booked as additional potential evidence of tampering.

It’s been about a month since the league announced its investigation into whether Cousins was tampered with, and the league may be at a point soon when they’ve reached a conclusion.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/wi ... 141a0&ei=9
Beetlejuice

Re: Falcons Tampering? Will Vikes Get Compensation?

Post by Beetlejuice »

I read an article that says the league would force the Falcons to forfeit draft picks. Source said it’s unlikely the Vikings will be compensated.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm I read an article that says the league would force the Falcons to forfeit draft picks. Source said it’s unlikely the Vikings will be compensated.
May be unlikely, but it has happened and happened recently.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm I read an article that says the league would force the Falcons to forfeit draft picks. Source said it’s unlikely the Vikings will be compensated.
There is precedent for the team losing the player being compensated.

2011 Detroit Lions
Transgression: Tampering with safety Jarrad Page, who was under contract with the Kansas City Chiefs
Forfeited pick(s): 2011 seventh-rounder plus swap of picks with Chiefs in the fifth round

2008 San Francisco 49ers
Transgression: Tampering with linebacker Lance Briggs, who was under contract with the Chicago Bears
Forfeited pick(s): 2008 fifth-rounder plus swap of picks with Bears in third round

I think compensation to the VIkings is warranted in this case. This is a huge free agent signing. Tampering changes the dynamics of how the previous team negotiates with their player WHEN THEY HAVE EXCLUSIVE NEGOTIATING RIGHTS.

If you are Cousins and know that the Falcons are going to give you two years fully guaranteed, you aren't going to be receptive to a team that is only offering you one year guaranteed.

The fair compensation to the Vikings should be at LEAST a swap of first round picks with Falcons and perhaps another mid-round pick.

IT AINT GONNA TO HAPPEN THOUGH, at least before this draft but we can hope.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

From my link....
Last year, just before the start of the NFL Draft, the league announced a settlement between the Eagles and Cardinals in which the Cardinals swapped their #66 pick for the Eagles’ #94 as compensation for tampering with Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathon Gannan, who was later hired as the Cardinals’ head coach. The Cardinals also got a 2024 fifth-round pick from the Eagles.
and.....
In 2022, the Dolphins forfeited a first-round pick and a third-round pick for tampering with Tom Brady- who they didn’t ultimately sign. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was implicated in the tampering violation and was fined $1.5 million and suspended for the remainder of the year from league meetings and was removed from all league committees.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:01 pm From my link....
Last year, just before the start of the NFL Draft, the league announced a settlement between the Eagles and Cardinals in which the Cardinals swapped their #66 pick for the Eagles’ #94 as compensation for tampering with Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathon Gannan, who was later hired as the Cardinals’ head coach. The Cardinals also got a 2024 fifth-round pick from the Eagles.
and.....
In 2022, the Dolphins forfeited a first-round pick and a third-round pick for tampering with Tom Brady- who they didn’t ultimately sign. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was implicated in the tampering violation and was fined $1.5 million and suspended for the remainder of the year from league meetings and was removed from all league committees.
Maybe if they did the first one right before the draft they can do it for the Vikings. But the VIings are not a favored team in the NFL.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:02 pm
William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:01 pm From my link....
and.....
Maybe if they did the first one right before the draft they can do it for the Vikings. But the VIings are not a favored team in the NFL.
That is absolutely right.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:59 pm
There is precedent for the team losing the player being compensated.

2011 Detroit Lions
Transgression: Tampering with safety Jarrad Page, who was under contract with the Kansas City Chiefs
Forfeited pick(s): 2011 seventh-rounder plus swap of picks with Chiefs in the fifth round

2008 San Francisco 49ers
Transgression: Tampering with linebacker Lance Briggs, who was under contract with the Chicago Bears
Forfeited pick(s): 2008 fifth-rounder plus swap of picks with Bears in third round

I think compensation to the VIkings is warranted in this case. This is a huge free agent signing. Tampering changes the dynamics of how the previous team negotiates with their player WHEN THEY HAVE EXCLUSIVE NEGOTIATING RIGHTS.

If you are Cousins and know that the Falcons are going to give you two years fully guaranteed, you aren't going to be receptive to a team that is only offering you one year guaranteed.

The fair compensation to the Vikings should be at LEAST a swap of first round picks with Falcons and perhaps another mid-round pick.

IT AINT GONNA TO HAPPEN THOUGH, at least before this draft but we can hope.
I think something is possible. I don’t think there’s much real tampering with Kirk talking to a media executive and to a trainer. It’s against the rules, but I don’t think there’s much actual “tampering” happening there in a practical sense.

But he also apparently talked to a director of player personnel. That’s a subordinate to the GM. That could be a big deal. That could have involved directly discussing contract details. The NFL could actually hammer the Falcons for that.

I also doubt we’ll get much out of it. But I think the Falcons could honestly face some real penalty.

They should be forced to give us their entire draft, Drake London, Kyle Pitts, Jessie Bates III, Chris Lindstrom, and issue a formal apology for the “Dirty Bird” dance. But there is no justice in this world.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I think part of "We have a plan" means that they are getting pick #8 from the Dirty Birds and it will packaged with #11 to get Maye at #3. Then use #23 to pick best available DL.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Florio speculating that it is not out of the question that punishing the Falcons could mean the Vikings get pick #8 and the Falcons get pick #11 or #23. I know, I know, not likely at all.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:09 pm I think part of "We have a plan" means that they are getting pick #8 from the Dirty Birds and it will packaged with #11 to get Maye at #3. Then use #23 to pick best available DL.
If Kirk slipped up and gave us the #8 free and clear it would be the best thing he ever did for this franchise.

- Isaac Asimov
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:22 pm
William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:09 pm I think part of "We have a plan" means that they are getting pick #8 from the Dirty Birds and it will packaged with #11 to get Maye at #3. Then use #23 to pick best available DL.
If Kirk slipped up and gave us the #8 free and clear it would be the best thing he ever did for this franchise.
Certainly would. More realistically speaking, maybe a scenario in which the Falcons need to switch a 3rd round pick for one of the Vikings 4th rounders? I would think that the League will want to punish the Falcons fairly sternly and send a message league-wide.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

William Munny wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:32 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:22 pm
Certainly would. More realistically speaking, maybe a scenario in which the Falcons need to switch a 3rd round pick for one of the Vikings 4th rounders? I would think that the League will want to punish the Falcons fairly sternly and send a message league-wide.
I hope you’re right. I doubt it, but from your mouth (keyboard) to God’s (Goodell’s) ears.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Nope.

I’m told the very best we can hope for is a pick swap of #8 for #11. Highly unlikely though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

The idea of the Vikings swapping picks with Atlanta as compensation for the violation has been discussed all over the internet. Nobody has been told or knows shit.

Then again, we have two posters here who are NFL scouts (boob and Milhouse), and they should be revealing the facts any day now.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:36 pm The idea of the Vikings swapping picks with Atlanta as compensation for the violation has been discussed all over the internet. Nobody has been told or knows shit.

Then again, we have two posters here who are NFL scouts (boob and Milhouse), and they should be revealing the facts any day now.
You seem like a very, very bitter person. DId your boyfriend leave you? Did your cat just die? How about meds, could you not afford them again?
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Lol, Jesus you two need a room. Hahaha
"You can tweet that."
salamander

Post by salamander »

Kirk's Viking Legacy: "I don't know, he won that one playoff game one time didn't he?"
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:43 pm
Offsides 97 defense wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:36 pm The idea of the Vikings swapping picks with Atlanta as compensation for the violation has been discussed all over the internet. Nobody has been told or knows shit.

You seem like a very, very bitter person. DId your boyfriend leave you? Did your cat just die? How about meds, could you not afford them again?
He is a very bitter person.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

It's probably close to zero percent
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Purple Daily talked about this. It appears that the NFL typically likes the teams to figure out compensation if the offending team does admit to tampering. If the team tampering denies, then the NFL will investigate and make a ruling. It appears that this is a slow process and that the Vikes may be able to get something next year.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Take their first round pick and make the Vikings pick tenth overall.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beetlejuice wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:00 am

That would be more beneficial to us than getting a 6th or 7th round pick.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

IF they take away their first round pick, it would be worse for them and half good for MN - they move up one spot.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:05 am
Beetlejuice wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:00 am

That would be more beneficial to us than getting a 6th or 7th round pick.
Arthur Blank is tight with Roger Goodell. Probably, they get a slap on the wrist fine because of it.

But we can hope!

- Isaac Asimov
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

minnemike wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:09 am
IF they take away their first round pick, it would be worse for them and half good for MN - they move up one spot.
My source is telling me Atlanta will give their 2nd rounder to MN and be allowed to keep first round pick. Stay tuned
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

that'd work.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:49 am
:lol:

- Isaac Asimov