Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
witljon

Re: ***Official Justin Jefferson contract news thread***

Post by witljon »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am
Gordonbombay wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 am This is starting to feel like Percy Harvin and Diggs all
Over again. Now we just need slick Rick to say he has no intention of trading JJ
What is similar at all? Those two dickheads talked/antic-ed their way out of here. JJ has been nothing but the model citizen and never once hinted he wants out even.
You are right, but I think he’s referring to Jefferson pricing his way off the team, which I don’t believe will happen.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Hector wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:28 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:57 pm
Hector wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:45 pm

Emotion? That's a strange word to tie to someone who wants to get the team up to speed with the rest of the division, even at the cost of hard choices.

Emotion seems to be the bedfellow of the guys who want to keep signing everybody back.
All we need to do to get up to speed with the rest of the division is draft and develop better.
At least Det and GB. They're not doing anything special otherwise.

Chi is a different animal so we'll wait and see, but Mia tried a complete tear down and rebuild too, and they still haven't won a playoff game, so it's by no means an inevitability that what Chi is doing will work.
Right, but so did the Eagle's (to counter your Miami point)... they were a 5 win team in 20 after their SB win in 17.

I haven't seen this team as a legit threat since 17, and I'm curious if Kirk was this great QB, why weren't Jeffersons TD numbers more reflective of somebody that's a threat in the red zone? He's had plenty of targets.
I wouldn't say the Eagles stripped down.
They kept alot of their vets as long as they could, i.e. Fletcher Cox, Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce, Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, Jordan Mailata,

And they nailed a 2nd rd QB pick...which provided them the cap space to be able to trade for expensive WR AJ Brown.

The best takeaway from the Eagles is to get yourself a 2nd rd QB, and then you don't need to trade Justin Jefferson.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am
Gordonbombay wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 am This is starting to feel like Percy Harvin and Diggs all
Over again. Now we just need slick Rick to say he has no intention of trading JJ
What is similar at all? Those two dickheads talked/antic-ed their way out of here. JJ has been nothing but the model citizen and never once hinted he wants out even.
I'm not saying he's forcing his way out but his comments basically stated if Kirk's not back he's not willing to sign a deal. Sounds like a dude that isnt sure if he wants to be here or not. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

:lol:

I do not believe the Vikings will trade Justin Jefferson, but I thought this was funny.

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:13 pm

I do not believe the Vikings will trade Justin Jefferson, but I thought this was funny.

Damnit, now he's definitely gone.
I know how this game works.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:15 pm

Slick Rick wrote his lines… side note I recently
Read a mock draft and spielman thought we should take a corner hahahaha
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Gordonbombay wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:08 pm

If you're in the media, I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to talk about your old team. Most likely you left the place against your will, so just let the team and fans be.

With that out of the way, CB actually would be alright if we heavily attacked DL in free agency.
For instance, if we re-signed Danielle and signed another top end DL, then going CB with pick 11 may be alright.
Some people are real high on Terrion Arnold and say he could be BPA at 11.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:15 pm
Gordonbombay wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:08 pm

If you're in the media, I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to talk about your old team. Most likely you left the place against your will, so just let the team and fans be.

With that out of the way, CB actually would be alright if we heavily attacked DL in free agency.
For instance, if we re-signed Danielle and signed another top end DL, then going CB with pick 11 may be alright.
Some people are real high on Terrion Arnold and say he could be BPA at 11.
Ageee CB is a need I just thought it was funny spielman suggested it. Dude loved his corners
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:30 pm Can't believe I am going to say it, but I agree with Hornet.

That's not the Viking fan way, though. Vikings fans (for the most part) like shiny $4000 rims on a Chevy Cavalier. They love their WR and RB toys.

You absolutely unload JJ if the return is something you can build a team around a QB with.
100%. If we could get a haul of picks you have to consider it.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:04 am
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:57 pm

All we need to do to get up to speed with the rest of the division is draft and develop better.
At least Det and GB. They're not doing anything special otherwise.

Chi is a different animal so we'll wait and see, but Mia tried a complete tear down and rebuild too, and they still haven't won a playoff game, so it's by no means an inevitability that what Chi is doing will work.
Right, but so did the Eagle's (to counter your Miami point)... they were a 5 win team in 20 after their SB win in 17.

I haven't seen this team as a legit threat since 17, and I'm curious if Kirk was this great QB, why weren't Jeffersons TD numbers more reflective of somebody that's a threat in the red zone? He's had plenty of targets.
They kept alot of their vets as long as they could, i.e. Fletcher Cox, Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce, Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, Jordan Mailata,

And they nailed a 2nd rd QB pick...which provided them the cap space to be able to trade for expensive WR AJ Brown.

The best takeaway from the Eagles is to get yourself a 2nd rd QB, and then you don't need to trade Justin Jefferson.
Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett were role players by that point though (Barnett took 12 smaps that year)... they kept some of their core together-true but they also reeled things in with a smart rebuild in the same time we lost the NFC Championship game and haven't been a serious threat since.

We have a few issues that I don't see us building around, a receiver that wants to break the bank, a left tackle that will break the bank, no QB and a team that really doesn't get any compensation for shedding star players.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Hector wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:50 pm

Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett were role players by that point though (Barnett took 12 smaps that year)... they kept some of their core together-true but they also reeled things in with a smart rebuild in the same time we lost the NFC Championship game and haven't been a serious threat since.

We have a few issues that I don't see us building around, a receiver that wants to break the bank, a left tackle that will break the bank, no QB and a team that really doesn't get any compensation for shedding star players.
And our retool becomes a helluva lot easier if we draft Michael Penix in RD2 and he becomes Hurts adjacent on his rookie deal.

We have TJ and Addison signed long term, a ton of cap space that we can use to supplement the previous draft class misses, we can afford to re-sign JJ and Darrisaw to long term deals, we have a few young guys still with potential that could step up further, the #11pick to draft another defensive player, and another entire draft class in 2025.

Now I’m not saying that this will work, but just pointing out why your usage of the Eagles as an example is a fallacy. Instead of having to swallow the possibility of trading up big just to draft QB4, they got a guy in the 50s that ended up as #2 in the MVP race while making damn near nothing.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Regarding trades of players though, I think the best example is Baltimore.
Not trading great players just to trade them or to purposely bottom out, but instead being good enough to continuously draft and develop well, and then know when to re-sign guys, when to let them play out and walk, and then know when to trade them for value.

Just off the top of my head...

*Drafting Mark Andrews in the 3rd and making him one of the best TEs in the league, which allowed them to trade Hayden Hurst for 2nd rd pick(s?)
*They also now already have Isaiah Likely and Charlie Kolar developing nicely under Andrews, so maybe they trade Andrews for value in the future.

*Turning 3rd rd pick Orlando Brown Jr to a pro bowler, and trading him for a 1st rd pick swap when they realized they couldn't re-sign him, because they already had another pro bowl OT on the roster.
They may already have Brown's long term replacement on the roster in 4th rd pick Daniel Fa'alele

*Trading Marquis Brown for a 1st rd pick when they realized they wouldn't want to re-sign him.
That pick ended up being Tyler Linderbaum, who is already a pro bowler, and replaced a quality starter that the Ravens previously drafted in the 6th rd.

* Continuously having great value DLs coming in and out in 3rd rd Brandon Williams, UDFA Michael Pierce, 3rd rd Travis Jones and 5th rd Broderick Washington.

*Developing 3rd rd pick Justin Madabuike into a star, and being able to franchise tag him now to keep long term, or at least get a great trade return for.

*If they re-sign Madabuike, they may have to let Patrick Queen walk, but they already have 3rd rd pick Trenton Simpson in house ready to take over.

*Turned 5th rd pick Matthew Judon into a great player and eventually got a 4th rd comp pick for him when they weren't able to re-sign.

*Got a great rookie contract start out of 4th rd pick Ben Powers, and should get a 4th rd comp pick this year for losing him.

*Oh yeah and by the way, getting a two time MVP QB at Pick 32.

If we're trying to find a blue print to emulate, it should be that.
Instead, we'd probably be looking to trade Jefferson in this hypothetical, just because we've drafted so badly before and need to find additional capital in order to supplement our roster.
But if we continue to be a team that struggles to draft and develop well, then trading Jefferson and getting a boat load of picks won't fix that.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:07 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:46 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:40 pm With the cap now expected to be 255.4 million this season, that definitely adds to the leverage in JJ's camp. If their plan is to extend him, the longer this drags on it kind of feels like the higher the tally will be.

I mean, we all love JJ, but there's a savvy business side of building a contender too. Historically speaking, there haven't been many Super bowl winning teams that have a wide receiver making 13-15% of the teams cap. Hopefully he put's up top 3 WR numbers with the rookie QB and beyond. Only real way of justifying what he wants. That or a Super bowl with in the next 5 years.....do'kay.

As of today, I'm in the trade him camp, as long as it's a nice haul which includes a top 10 overall pick this year or next, and more. If that's not obtainable, I pay him.
Looks like Florio just wrote any article on this exact subject today.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -on-friday
I swear to God this moronic idea just won't die. How many times in the history of the NFL has a no brainer HOF player been traded when they are 24 years old? Jesus Christ. :lol:

I love when these nonsensical and contrived "facts" are tried to be used - "Historically speaking, there haven't been many Super bowl winning teams that have a wide receiver making 13-15% of the teams cap". Well, considering Jerry Rice played in the non cap era when winning 3 titles and certainly would have been highest paid non QB in league and considering Tom Brady won 7, roughly 1/3 of SB in his career and he had exactly one receiver for two seasons who possibly could have been paid like that, I think that "fact" means about as much as the hair on my ass.

Jefferson isnt being traded. He absolutely shouldn't be fn traded. Of fucking course he shouldn't be traded. If you are unclear why, go back to the question I asked in first paragraph. The answer to that question, that is why. FFS. :lol:
A good GM is thinking about all options, even the tough decisions like this one. I'm not saying I would trade him for scraps, but If Kwesi can get a nice haul in return, he'd be doing this team a disservice not seriously considering it. Especially considering we need to draft a QB soon, and it's a quarterback league. Sitting at #11 currently. Also, paying top of the league money to multiple skill positions on one team isn't exactly a winning Super bowl formula. But hey, it'll result in some highlights, sell some tickets and jerseys, win some regular season games, and pacify a fanbase....yah!

Here, I'll dumb it down further just for you: In the NFL most fans live in the moment, and can't envision long term. Jefferson won't be putting up the numbers he's put up once the rookie is starting in a year or two. His presence will definitely help the rookie along, and he'll likely have good to great seasons...but you have to ask yourself will his presence be worth the historic money in years 2-4 of his new deal? That's not a winning formula/strategy in the NFL. It's just rewarding a player for past accomplishments.

Ultimately though, the reality of what's going to happen is they will sign Jefferson to a historic contract. Even if they think trading him is best for the team long-term internally, the pressure to always win now in this league doesn't allow GM's & coaches to take this approach these days. Job security is only year by year in this league, and they are being paid well. (No laughing emoji's, I'm not a petulant child). Moving on....
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 am Regarding trades of players though, I think the best example is Baltimore.
Not trading great players just to trade them or to purposely bottom out, but instead being good enough to continuously draft and develop well, and then know when to re-sign guys, when to let them play out and walk, and then know when to trade them for value.

*Drafting Mark Andrews in the 3rd and making him one of the best TEs in the league, which allowed them to trade Hayden Hurst for 2nd rd pick(s?)
*They also now already have Isaiah Likely and Charlie Kolar developing nicely under Andrews, so maybe they trade Andrews for value in the future.

*Turning 3rd rd pick Orlando Brown Jr to a pro bowler, and trading him for a 1st rd pick swap when they realized they couldn't re-sign him, because they already had another pro bowl OT on the roster.
They may already have Brown's long term replacement on the roster in 4th rd pick Daniel Fa'alele

*Trading Marquis Brown for a 1st rd pick when they realized they wouldn't want to re-sign him.
That pick ended up being Tyler Linderbaum, who is already a pro bowler, and replaced a quality starter that the Ravens previously drafted in the 6th rd.

* Continuously having great value DLs coming in and out in 3rd rd Brandon Williams, UDFA Michael Pierce, 3rd rd Travis Jones and 5th rd Broderick Washington.

*Developing 3rd rd pick Justin Madabuike into a star, and being able to franchise tag him now to keep long term, or at least get a great trade return for.

*If they re-sign Madabuike, they may have to let Patrick Queen walk, but they already have 3rd rd pick Trenton Simpson in house ready to take over.

*Turned 5th rd pick Matthew Judon into a great player and eventually got a 4th rd comp pick for him when they weren't able to re-sign.

*Got a great rookie contract start out of 4th rd pick Ben Powers, and should get a 4th rd comp pick this year for losing him.

Instead, we'd probably be looking to trade Jefferson in this hypothetical, just because we've drafted so badly before and need to find additional capital in order to supplement our roster.
But if we continue to be a team that struggles to draft and develop well, then trading Jefferson and getting a boat load of picks won't fix that.
Kwesi's ineptitude clouds everything. When you struggle drafting, it can haunt you for many years afterwards. But I just look at things of what's best if we even had an average GM, and envision scenarios off of that.

Although Lamar Jackson to me is overrated, (in terms of high level success, now entering his 7th season), and I would of thought long and hard about an extension for him, specifically his passing being suspect. The Ravens are a perfect example if you were to emulate a team in that blueprint you layed out. They are my most respected team in terms of scouting/drafting/development, free agents & trades, and Harbaugh is my favorite coach in the league. Harbaugh always pushes the right buttons in in-game situations, no mental mistakes from him. I could see the Ravens trading Jefferson if it resulted in strengthening their team long-term, they are cut-throat when necessary. They've traded their #1 WR before, (albeit a much lesser player), and used that pick to draft stud Center in Tyler Linderbaum who already is a pro bowler. They always seem one step ahead of their competition and their long-term competitive sustainability is impressive.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:24 am
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 am Regarding trades of players though, I think the best example is Baltimore.

Kwesi's ineptitude clouds everything. When you struggle drafting, it can haunt you for many years afterwards. But I just look at things of what's best if we even had an average GM, and envision scenarios off of that.

Although Lamar Jackson to me is overrated, (in terms of high level success, now entering his 7th season), and I would of thought long and hard about an extension for him, specifically his passing being suspect. The Ravens are a perfect example if you were to emulate a team in that blueprint you layed out. They are my most respected team in terms of scouting/drafting/development, free agents & trades, and Harbaugh is my favorite coach in the league. Harbaugh always pushes the right buttons in in-game situations, no mental mistakes from him. I could see the Ravens trading Jefferson if it resulted in strengthening their team long-term, they are cut-throat when necessary. They've traded their #1 WR before, (albeit a much lesser player), and used that pick to draft stud Center in Tyler Linderbaum who already is a pro bowler. They always seem one step ahead of their competition and their long-term competitive sustainability is impressive.
The Ravens have some large contracts to unconventional positions, like MLB Roquan Smith, TE Mark Andrews, FS Marcus Williams, not to mention spending a #14 pick on another safety. I think they take more of a case by case basis than living by any hard line stance.

But if the Ravens have to trade a hypothetical star offensive playmaker NOW, it would be because they have a $50M QB.
But for us I envision any JJ extension talks would also be balanced out by a rookie scale contract QB.
The Eagles did that with Hurts/Brown, the Dolphins did that with Tua/Hill, the 49ers did that with Purdy/McCaffrey/Kittle.

That's what I envision, and a competent organization would be able to pull that off.
The Vikings are still TBD on that though.

I'm willing to agree that a competent organization can win through multiple means, but I just don't think with the way this current roster is constructed is served by trading JJ just to fill in lesser holes. They just need to do a better job drafting.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:24 am

Another thing I'll add in as well about the Ravens, interestingly enough they've actually struggled with finding offensive skill players in the draft.
They had big misses on 1st rd pick WRs Marqise Brown and Rashod Bateman, as well as 2nd rd RB JK Dobbins in recent years.

So it's not an inevitability that you can just pluck JJ out of the offense and just presume that you will find a great replacement in the draft, even if you pick one high.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Tuck ya in wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:47 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:07 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:46 pm

Looks like Florio just wrote any article on this exact subject today.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -on-friday
I swear to God this moronic idea just won't die. How many times in the history of the NFL has a no brainer HOF player been traded when they are 24 years old? Jesus Christ. :lol:

I love when these nonsensical and contrived "facts" are tried to be used - "Historically speaking, there haven't been many Super bowl winning teams that have a wide receiver making 13-15% of the teams cap". Well, considering Jerry Rice played in the non cap era when winning 3 titles and certainly would have been highest paid non QB in league and considering Tom Brady won 7, roughly 1/3 of SB in his career and he had exactly one receiver for two seasons who possibly could have been paid like that, I think that "fact" means about as much as the hair on my ass.

Jefferson isnt being traded. He absolutely shouldn't be fn traded. Of fucking course he shouldn't be traded. If you are unclear why, go back to the question I asked in first paragraph. The answer to that question, that is why. FFS. :lol:
A good GM is thinking about all options, even the tough decisions like this one. I'm not saying I would trade him for scraps, but If Kwesi can get a nice haul in return, he'd be doing this team a disservice not seriously considering it. Especially considering we need to draft a QB soon, and it's a quarterback league. Sitting at #11 currently. Also, paying top of the league money to multiple skill positions on one team isn't exactly a winning Super bowl formula. But hey, it'll result in some highlights, sell some tickets and jerseys, win some regular season games, and pacify a fanbase....yah!

Here, I'll dumb it down further just for you: In the NFL most fans live in the moment, and can't envision long term. Jefferson won't be putting up the numbers he's put up once the rookie is starting in a year or two. His presence will definitely help the rookie along, and he'll likely have good to great seasons...but you have to ask yourself will his presence be worth the historic money in years 2-4 of his new deal? That's not a winning formula/strategy in the NFL. It's just rewarding a player for past accomplishments.

Ultimately though, the reality of what's going to happen is they will sign Jefferson to a historic contract. Even if they think trading him is best for the team long-term internally, the pressure to always win now in this league doesn't allow GM's & coaches to take this approach these days. Job security is only year by year in this league, and they are being paid well. (No laughing emoji's, I'm not a petulant child). Moving on....
Here let me dumb it down for you. I dont care what a good GM does, we dont have one of those. But let me help you out with there is a reason why no HOF player has been traded at age 24, or why it almost never ever happens. When you figure out the why of that then we will be able to move forward.

However, my concern is, you may not figure out that why, so let me make this even simpler for you. You can I can utterly disagree strongly on this, thats ok, one of is right and the other is you, and that is ok, but make sure you grasp this - there is no chance, not one, that this happens. Its below zero. So stop wasting your brain power and instead contemplate what we should do at qb, or what positions you feel we need the most, actual useful stuff.

Lets move on.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:22 am

And our retool becomes a helluva lot easier if we draft Michael Penix in RD2 and he becomes Hurts adjacent on his rookie deal.

We have TJ and Addison signed long term, a ton of cap space that we can use to supplement the previous draft class misses, we can afford to re-sign JJ and Darrisaw to long term deals, we have a few young guys still with potential that could step up further, the #11pick to draft another defensive player, and another entire draft class in 2025.

Now I’m not saying that this will work, but just pointing out why your usage of the Eagles as an example is a fallacy. Instead of having to swallow the possibility of trading up big just to draft QB4, they got a guy in the 50s that ended up as #2 in the MVP race while making damn near nothing.
I've never mentioned trading up, but the holes on this team are glaringly the lines (especially if Hunter walks)... I'm not sure the best way to make this team rookie QB friendly but in my "fix all ills" thread I put together a semi realistic way of making it happen. The only problem is if some of my picks may surge up the draft boards.

I try to fill as many holes as I can, while being conscious of salary cap and talent liquidation. It seems the Vikings were able to move the ball pretty well without Jefferson...jm2c.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Hector wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:28 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:22 am

I've never mentioned trading up, but the holes on this team are glaringly the lines (especially if Hunter walks)... I'm not sure the best way to make this team rookie QB friendly but in my "fix all ills" thread I put together a semi realistic way of making it happen. The only problem is if some of my picks may surge up the draft boards.

I try to fill as many holes as I can, while being conscious of salary cap and talent liquidation. It seems the Vikings were able to move the ball pretty well without Jefferson...jm2c.
Yes, you did not say trade up (as far as I know) but that would have been related to the other threads about expecting four QBs to be gone before we're on the clock at 11, and then nitpicking to death both of Nix and Penix, even though they both have developmental qualities.

It just seems like good organizations routinely find value at the QB position.

KC traded up, but only had to get to 10 so it only cost them 2 1st, and oh yeah btw then they made that guy the best ever.
Buff only had to trade two 2nds for Allen
Balt got Lamar at 32
Phi got Hurts in the 50s
SF got Purdy with the last pick

So its just so frustrating to be hearing that this is supposedly one of the best QB drafts ever, and based on what the current narratives are, we still may struggle to find value.
We shouldn't have to trade one of the best players in the league just to fix this QB problem.

And even though I agree that they need to fix the lines, they haven't even fucking tried.
While other teams are routinely hitting on and cycling through new mid round trenches guys, we have botched one 2nd round guard pick, drafted one other developmental OL guy that is already off the team, drafted a mid round DL guy that is already off the team, and another mid round DL guy that I like, but is still far from a known commodity.
That is all they have tried to do in two years.
So I don't want to hear that you need more resources to fix these holes, when you haven't even tried in the first place.

So that's where I'm at.
Letting him trade JJ is akin to letting KAM off the hook, and I don't want them to do that.
There's enough supposed depth in this QB class to where they should be able to figure something reasonable out, and then they should be expected to actually start drafting/developing some mid round guys to continue building their base.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Lots of steam out there that something is happening with JJ and a new contract should be announced soon.

Nothing for sure. Just a lot of stuff out there now. Do a Twitter/X search for Justin Jefferson if you want to see for yourself.

Similar talk about Danielle Hunter too.

Stay tuned!

- Isaac Asimov
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I see a lot of Jefferson steam but Danielle not so much. Sounds like they have just talked to his agent which is as expected.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:34 am I see a lot of Jefferson steam but Danielle not so much. Sounds like they have just talked to his agent which is as expected.
Definitely less on Hunter, but it’s out there that they’re working on it, so that’s good. I would expect JJ to be the priority anyway.

- Isaac Asimov
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Profootballtalk.com article today

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... e-who-will

Some things are complicated. Some things aren’t.

For the Vikings, this is as simple as it gets: Pay receiver Justin Jefferson or trade him to someone who will.

If they intend to pay him, what’s the delay? It won’t get cheaper over time. The best thing to do is to just do it now, make him happy, and move forward.

And if, after months of negotiations, the Vikings realize they’re never going to make him happy, they need to send him to someone who will.

The Vikings are clearly exasperated by the situation. When someone leaked to Schefty that Jefferson turned down $30 million per year, that surely didn’t come from the player. The team wants to look reasonable and/or not cheap when it comes to not paying Jefferson.

Last year at this time, I said that if the Vikings don’t sign Jefferson before the start of the 2023 regular season, he’ll be in play for a trade that would allow the Vikings to draft their first true franchise quarterback since Fran Tarkenton. Although the Vikings insist that’s not happening, they could truly slam the door on the possibility by paying him.

The clock keeps ticking. The draft is coming. Could the end result be Jefferson plus the 11th pick to the Commanders for the Jayden Daniels pick? Jefferson plus No. 11 to the Patriots for No. 3?

The Vikings can end that narrative by making the investment in Jefferson, now. Until they do, it’s possible that they’ll give up and trade him — and it’s definite that the price will keep increasing.
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Tuck ya in wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:10 pm Profootballtalk.com article today

For the Vikings, this is as simple as it gets: Pay receiver Justin Jefferson or trade him to someone who will.

If they intend to pay him, what’s the delay? It won’t get cheaper over time. The best thing to do is to just do it now, make him happy, and move forward.

And if, after months of negotiations, the Vikings realize they’re never going to make him happy, they need to send him to someone who will.

The Vikings are clearly exasperated by the situation. When someone leaked to Schefty that Jefferson turned down $30 million per year, that surely didn’t come from the player. The team wants to look reasonable and/or not cheap when it comes to not paying Jefferson.

Last year at this time, I said that if the Vikings don’t sign Jefferson before the start of the 2023 regular season, he’ll be in play for a trade that would allow the Vikings to draft their first true franchise quarterback since Fran Tarkenton. Although the Vikings insist that’s not happening, they could truly slam the door on the possibility by paying him.

The clock keeps ticking. The draft is coming. Could the end result be Jefferson plus the 11th pick to the Commanders for the Jayden Daniels pick? Jefferson plus No. 11 to the Patriots for No. 3?

The Vikings can end that narrative by making the investment in Jefferson, now. Until they do, it’s possible that they’ll give up and trade him — and it’s definite that the price will keep increasing.

Why would either team do this? Both are rebuilding and it wouldn't make any sense to pay a WR $35MM a year.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:29 pm

Why would either team do this? Both are rebuilding and it wouldn't make any sense to pay a WR $35MM a year.

Agreed, sometimes Florio just throws stuff out there. I could realistically see more established teams who lack receivers like Buffalo, Chargers, or a dark horse making a run at a JJ trade though. But to his point about either piss or get off the pot, that has some merit at this stage in the negotiations.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

JJ straight up for one of the top 3 picks.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:29 pm

exactly. pay JJ 30 plus million a year and not have the QB to throw him the ball? it sounds nonsensical on the face of it. maybe to the chargers--but they're in a perfect spot to draft a wide receiver and pay him on a rookie contract. what team is going to be in the market for JJ?
salamander

Post by salamander »

I'm not giving JJ + our 11th to move up. People trade multiple 1st rounders to move up for a WR like JJ.
Last edited by salamander on Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Crazy time has set in as people are bored and coloring outside of the lines while waiting for draft night.
salamander

Post by salamander »

William Munny wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:34 pm Crazy time has set in as people are bored and coloring outside of the lines while waiting for draft night.
Yeah, you're 100% spot on here. Might as well just ignore everything we see right now.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.