Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

It’s time to ask yourselves…..

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Stork311

Re: It’s time to ask yourselves…..

Post by Stork311 »

No.

Just no.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Do we have to take back $50 million in salary return? If we trade KAT, what are our options? I guess my question is, how does trading him reduce the cap hit? (Lux tax)
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:46 am Do we have to take back $50 million in salary return? If we trade KAT, what are our options? I guess my question is, how does trading him reduce the cap hit? (Lux tax)
I'm not advocating to trade or keep him. But I have seen some people online say that we can trade KAT as soon as our season is done (after we win the championship) and if we trade him before the official start of the season in early July you can trade him for this season cap space which is 36 million. Now I've seen some people saying we can do that and some saying you can't, so I'm not sure on that. If a team has luxury tax space we don't have to take back 50 million. Pistons have 72 million in space, Philly has 58 million in space, Utah has 44 million in space, OKC 39 million, San Antonio 34 million etc. Also if you are trading him for 50 million in salary, you could get back that in smaller pieces which you could than offload some of the smaller pieces easier.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:46 am Do we have to take back $50 million in salary return? If we trade KAT, what are our options? I guess my question is, how does trading him reduce the cap hit? (Lux tax)
If we trade him before the draft we don't, but if we don't trade him by then it is unlikely we trade him at all for this reason.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

twolves31 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:03 am
I'm not advocating to trade or keep him. But I have seen some people online say that we can trade KAT as soon as our season is done (after we win the championship) and if we trade him before the official start of the season in early July you can trade him for this season cap space which is 36 million. Now I've seen some people saying we can do that and some saying you can't, so I'm not sure on that. If a team has luxury tax space we don't have to take back 50 million. Pistons have 72 million in space, Philly has 58 million in space, Utah has 44 million in space, OKC 39 million, San Antonio 34 million etc. Also if you are trading him for 50 million in salary, you could get back that in smaller pieces which you could than offload some of the smaller pieces easier.
:thumbsup:
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:14 am
If we trade him before the draft we don't, but if we don't trade him by then it is unlikely we trade him at all for this reason.
Glen isn't paying the Lux tax. Trade is inevitable.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:29 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:14 am
Glen isn't paying the Lux tax. Trade is inevitable.
You would think the team would want to avoid the LUX... We shall see.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

You can trade him before the draft after our season is done at his 36mil number.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:29 am
You can trade him before the draft after our season is done at his 36mil number.
The team that acquires him still has to fit his 2024-25 salary into their cap, and the rest of his outyears of his new contract that will have salaries in the $50's million dollar range, with the last year over $60 million.

The candidate teams for such a trade are few and far between. Detroit and Orlando would be the teams with the most cap flexibility in the league.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:16 pm

The team that acquires him still has to fit his 2024-25 salary into their cap, and the rest of his outyears of his new contract that will have salaries in the $50's million dollar range, with the last year over $60 million.

The candidate teams for such a trade are few and far between. Detroit and Orlando would be the teams with the most cap flexibility in the league.
Wow. That would be such a shit thing to do to KAT. Orlando would be cool to live in and he would save a ton of money. But Detroit? He deserves better.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:33 pm

Wow. That would be such a shit thing to do to KAT. Orlando would be cool to live in and he would save a ton of money. But Detroit? He deserves better.
Do you think Orlando (or Detroit) would view Karl as a player that will get them over the hump? Maybe Orlando.

Do you think Orlando would do this at the end of the year? (Salary Filler Gary Harris and MArkelle Fultz), Mortiz Wagner, and and one of their future first and one of their future 2nds from their stockpile?

The Wolves trade leverage would be limited to this being a salary dump and the limited market because of his contract parameters.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:49 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:33 pm

Do you think Orlando (or Detroit) would view Karl as a player that will get them over the hump? Maybe Orlando.

Do you think Orlando would do this at the end of the year? (Salary Filler Gary Harris and MArkelle Fultz), Mortiz Wagner, and and one of their future first and one of their future 2nds from their stockpile?

The Wolves trade leverage would be limited to this being a salary dump and the limited market because of his contract parameters.
Sounds like it would suck for all involved. :?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

No.

The team trading for him needs to use matching rules to trade for him based on the 23-24 numbers regardless of if he fits under or in the cap or drives a team in the LUX. If in 24-25 the team is in the LUX will depend on the outgoing salary in the trade combined with other expiring contracts. This isn't limited to just a few possibilities. You are only looking at teams with pure space and not accounting for outgoing salary.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:24 pm

No.

The team trading for him needs to use matching rules to trade for him based on the 23-24 numbers regardless of if he fits under or in the cap or drives a team in the LUX. If in 24-25 the team is in the LUX will depend on the outgoing salary in the trade combined with other expiring contracts. This isn't limited to just a few possibilities.
I guess I wan't specific enough by what I meant by "Fit". My meaning of it is essentially what you said. This will blow most teams bottom line away pushing them way over the luxury tax threshold.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:29 pm

No.

The team trading for him needs to use matching rules to trade for him based on the 23-24 numbers regardless of if he fits under or in the cap or drives a team in the LUX. If in 24-25 the team is in the LUX will depend on the outgoing salary in the trade combined with other expiring contracts. This isn't limited to just a few possibilities.
I guess I wan't specific enough by what I meant by "Fit". My meaning of it is essentially what you said. This will blow most teams bottom line away pushing them way over the luxury tax threshold.
It really won't if the other team is sending back 36mil + the cap increase they would only need about 10mil in expiring salary to maintain their current level.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:38 pm

No.

It really won't if the other team is sending back 36mil + the cap increase they would only need about 10mil in expiring salary to maintain their current level.
Unless the acquirign team wants to get in luxury tax hell they need to dump future money in the trade.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:40 pm

Unless the acquirign team wants to get in luxury tax hell they need to dump future money in the trade.
I have explained that a team that sends out matching salary of 36mil for the 24-25 season only needs about 10mil in expiring contracts to maintain spending levels below the LUX. This opens up many possible teams not just a few. It is easy to trade him before the draft, almost impossible after it.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:51 pm

I have explained that a team that sends out matching salary of 36mil for the 24-25 season only needs about 10mil in expiring contracts to maintain spending levels below the LUX. This opens up many possible teams not just a few. It is easy to trade him before the draft, almost impossible after it.
WHile the MATH of that is true, the reality of it is a different story.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:04 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:51 pm

WHile the MATH of that is true, the reality of it is a different story.
Lots of teams fall into the category I explained, that is the reality.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Days like yesterday against Phoenix shows us we need that extra scorer in Kat some of these games. It's not always going to be a good Ant and Naz shooting night, and those nights we need one more player that can get hot.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

twolves31 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:35 am Days like yesterday against Phoenix shows us we need that extra scorer in Kat some of these games. It's not always going to be a good Ant and Naz shooting night, and those nights we need one more player that can get hot.
Naz is good. But I don’t know if he can give you 40 if you need it. Can he really kill you for swarming Edwards? I don’t know.

I’m not saying we win last night with Towns, but he would have absolutely changed the complexion of the game.

That game and obviously the Denver game where Naz and Rudy were hurt were the two that his absence really stood out.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

twolves31 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:35 am Days like yesterday against Phoenix shows us we need that extra scorer in Kat some of these games. It's not always going to be a good Ant and Naz shooting night, and those nights we need one more player that can get hot.
We do need more scoring... and if the Wolves can get the right trade pieces for KAT, extend Naz at a good number, replenish some lost draft assets for cheaper deals to help with the growing money on the books, it should all work itself out. I want this team to keep Naz and NAW beyond next year!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
witljon

Post by witljon »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:07 pm It's time now? It's covered in KAT's value thread going on for awhile!
We should get to read some more Naz hype after we beat the lowly Wizard tonight. Kinda like when this thread started after we beat the depleted Toronto team and the Lakers without LeBron and the Brow. I’d rather see Naz shine tomorrow night against the Nuggets in a big way.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:33 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:07 pm It's time now? It's covered in KAT's value thread going on for awhile!
We should get to read some more Naz hype after we beat the lowly Wizard tonight. Kinda like when this thread started after we beat the depleted Toronto team and the Lakers without LeBron and the Brow. I’d rather see Naz shine tomorrow night against the Nuggets in a big way.
I hope he does too. I want Naz here longterm, don't you!?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:20 pm Is this team better now with Carl out and Naz in?
Not when they move the ball. It's the times when Kat or Ant try to become heros but aren't feeling it that they suck. When they play as a team, Kat is the guy we want. That said, down the line, i could get behind moving Kat to free up some cap and if we were able to bring back the right sort of talent/assets.
I made this!
witljon

Post by witljon »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:40 am
witljon wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:33 pm
I hope he does too. I want Naz here longterm, don't you!?
Yeah, I’m all for keeping our players, not trading em.