Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Royce Lewis

A place to discuss the MN Twins
D_H

Re: Royce Lewis

Post by D_H »

Farmer!!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:16 pm no reason to throw in the towel--but it's a huge loss to not have your most dynamic player in the lineup for the wildcard series. the guy that was on his way to the american league's player of the month for september. also no way that i'll ever believe he didn't aggravate that hamstring running down to first a couple innings prior to that AB. he should have been pulled right after that. if he was there'd certainly be a better chance that he'd be available for this first series.
It's ridiculous that he was allowed to go back on the field after first hurting it....that interim manager should have lost his job. I am guessing Royce WILL be in the Wild Card series...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins' Royce Lewis expresses optimism about return after simulated game
Royce Lewis, who suffered a strained left hamstring last week, is swinging but not yet fielding or running as he bids to join the Twins' playoff roster.

The Twins' most impactful at-bat at Target Field on Wednesday took place not during their night game with the Athletics, but shortly after noon, before anyone was watching. That's when Royce Lewis, the Twins' best hitter in September and biggest question mark for October, connected with a fastball and drove it into the empty left-field bleachers, a home run that didn't count on the scoreboard but could have big implications for the postseason.

"I feel really good at the plate," said Lewis, the 24-year-old rookie who suffered a strained left hamstring while fouling off a pitch in Cincinnati last week. "It was just good for me, honestly, to know that I can still see the ball. We faced some really good pitchers [Wednesday]. That's always a good sign, when you can see their sliders, changeups, curveballs, whatever they're throwing, and still feel confident up there."...Lewis, who said he went 1-for-4, couldn't contain his excitement over the prospect that his hamstring might heal enough for him to play next week. Of course, he's perpetually upbeat.

"We're trending in the right direction. Every day I'm just a little bit better," Lewis said. "That's the goal, hopefully to get to the spot we need for the playoffs, to at least manage and tolerate whatever [pain] I'm going to have."

He hasn't done any running yet, only hitting and playing catch. There's still time to get some work fielding his position at third base, but if he's not up to it, at least his progress gives the Twins hope that he can serve as designated hitter for the first round.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:15 am Twins' Royce Lewis expresses optimism about return after simulated game
Royce Lewis, who suffered a strained left hamstring last week, is swinging but not yet fielding or running as he bids to join the Twins' playoff roster.

The Twins' most impactful at-bat at Target Field on Wednesday took place not during their night game with the Athletics, but shortly after noon, before anyone was watching. That's when Royce Lewis, the Twins' best hitter in September and biggest question mark for October, connected with a fastball and drove it into the empty left-field bleachers, a home run that didn't count on the scoreboard but could have big implications for the postseason.

"I feel really good at the plate," said Lewis, the 24-year-old rookie who suffered a strained left hamstring while fouling off a pitch in Cincinnati last week. "It was just good for me, honestly, to know that I can still see the ball. We faced some really good pitchers [Wednesday]. That's always a good sign, when you can see their sliders, changeups, curveballs, whatever they're throwing, and still feel confident up there."...Lewis, who said he went 1-for-4, couldn't contain his excitement over the prospect that his hamstring might heal enough for him to play next week. Of course, he's perpetually upbeat.

"We're trending in the right direction. Every day I'm just a little bit better," Lewis said. "That's the goal, hopefully to get to the spot we need for the playoffs, to at least manage and tolerate whatever [pain] I'm going to have."

He hasn't done any running yet, only hitting and playing catch. There's still time to get some work fielding his position at third base, but if he's not up to it, at least his progress gives the Twins hope that he can serve as designated hitter for the first round.
Glass Joe… why haven’t the Twins fired their strength and conditioning coach?
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

What about Buxton? Is he Morneau-ing it again this postseason?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

If he tore his quad we won't see Royce back till after Memorial Day....
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am If he tore his quad we won't see Royce back till after Memorial Day....
hard to be in the MVP conversation when you're on the sideline for two months. maybe buck and correa can stay healthy and be a part of it instead.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am
Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am If he tore his quad we won't see Royce back till after Memorial Day....
hard to be in the MVP conversation when you're on the sideline for two months. maybe buck and correa can stay healthy and be a part of it instead.
Just think what kind of numbers these 3 could put up together if they stayed healthy all season Weimy....sadly, we'll never find out.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins third baseman Royce Lewis displays positivity, even in face of another setback

Royce Lewis had selected a green and blue three-piece suit for his first-ever major league Opening Day. He had a white dress shirt with a Twins logo on the wrist to go underneath it, as well as a blue tie.

But the chilly weather for the team’s workout day on Wednesday psyched him out. He was nervous he would have to switch his plans. Teammate Kyle Farmer assured him he could wear his “swag,” as he had hoped.

He had a beautiful time, he said, watching the pregame flyover — “that was like a superhero movie”— as he stood in between his two teammates, Carlos Correa and Byron Buxton, two players whom he considers his idols.

“It can’t get any better than that. I was just smiling out there and having a great time,” Lewis said. “That’s why I’m smiling and we got the win (4-1 over the Kansas City Royals) on top of that, so it’s a great Opening Day.”

Well, not quite everything was great for the 24-year-old.

The Twins’ third baseman, by nature, is relentlessly positive. So even as he stares down the possibility of another injured list stint for a quad injury suffered while running the bases, he was smiling, pointing out everything that did go right on Thursday.

After homering in his first at-bat, and singling in his second, he suffered a quad injury running the bases on Thursday. He had magnetic resonance imaging done, and the Twins will continue to evaluate him. It’s a tough break for a player who twice had anterior cruciate ligament surgery and also spent time on the injured list with an oblique strain and a hamstring injury last year.

“Obviously a very difficult situation, seeing him come off the field like that. He just continues to just produce and produce,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “It’s pretty amazing, actually, to come out here and start a season like that. But we’re going to assess him, and we’ll probably have an update in the next day or two.”

After collecting his single in the third inning, Lewis had his mind set on scoring on Carlos Correa’s double to left. But as he ran, he felt his quad start to tighten.

It felt like a cramp and hours later, as he met with the media, he said his leg felt the same as it had when he initially suffered the injury. His first thought, he said, wasn’t the pain, but rather that the score should have been 3-1 at the time, rather than just 2-1.

“The double felt great off the bat, and then when I got to second and I see Royce, he’s hurt, you felt terrible,” Correa said. “He’s a guy that you know he’s an MVP candidate, and we just want him to stay healthy and be out there with us every single night if possible. You don’t want to see it on the first day.”

Lewis expressed relief that the injury was not to his knee — and said he was eager to hear more from team doctors — to learn when he could return to the field.

“It’s something I can’t control, this stuff, and it’s part of the game,” Lewis said. “I’ll come back and make things happen. We’ll have some more fun.”
Roy D.

Post by Roy D. »

Lewis was/is poised to have a breakout season. BTW, Goose stole!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Wonder if the Twins trainer is feeling good about his job security today? Did he have Royce thoroughly stretch out before the game and if so, could there not have been a better quad stretch incorporated into it?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Hornets wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 pm Wonder if the Twins trainer is feeling good about his job security today? Did he have Royce thoroughly stretch out before the game and if so, could there not have been a better quad stretch incorporated into it?
I’m sure he feels fine. Our team has been riddled with injuries for years and he continues to collect paychecks.

Edit: he’s only been the head athletic trainer for 2 years, so maybe something happens. Idk… it’s incredibly frustrating.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Jesus. This sucks.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

It's amazing how many of these kinds of injuries this franchise goes through. WTF is their deal?
Let's get Tropical
Roy D.

Post by Roy D. »

Ability is one thing. Durability is a whole nother. Fragile guys like Buxton and Lewis make Mauer look like Cal Ripken Jr.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Royce Lewis may still be a ways out from returning to game action, but the Twins’ third baseman is starting to move into baseball activities, a positive sign as he recovers from a severe right quad strain.

Lewis suffered the strain running the bases on Opening Day, and head athletic trainer Nick Paparesta said they’re looking to get him into a running progression around the end of next week. Once he starts running, they’ll have a better sense of what his timeline for a return will look like.

“He’s still got some boxes to check for us, but heading in the right direction for him,” Paparesta said.

Lewis swung off a tee on Friday for the first time since suffering the injury on March 28. While Paparesta said Lewis has reported feeling ready to play now, it’s his job to make sure that they’re moving on an appropriate timeline and making sure they give the injury proper time to heal.

“I think sometimes people forget that we’re only three weeks into the season,” Paparesta said. “He has only been hurt for three weeks which, I know, only seems like it’s still a long time. … We are three weeks into the season, and we need to be conscientious about the rest of the year ahead of us.”