Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Señor Trumpo

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:59 pm
William Munny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:22 pm
Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:13 pm Denver doesn't have a 2nd round pick this year, the Vikings can beat any offer they have. The only team that concerns me in beating us to 4 would be the Giants. The only way I see us doing this is if we trade with NE or LAC. I think AZ wants a WR and will pick in the top 6 to get that receiver.
Quite possibly. AZ may be fine with just getting one of the top 4 WR's while picking up another 1st round pick to get another premium player. Who knows. I do think that that Vikings want Maye or McCarthy. Likely 1A and 1B respectively. I am watching "Patriots Today" on Youtube and the guy is doing a mock for the Patriots if they trade the #3 pick to the Vikings for #11, #23, #129 (4th rounder) and the 2025 first rounder. Vikings would get #3 and #137 (5th rounder). Guy has the Patriots taking:

#11 - Brock Bowers
#23 - Brian Thomas Jr.
#29 - Tyler Guyton OL after trading back into the 1st round
#56 - Spencer Rattler Qb after trading with Cleveland
Good result, but why even bother taking Rattler in that case? You'll have two first round picks next year, just anticipate using those to get your QB of the future. Even if it's a "downyear" for QBs, you'll still probably have a good chance to get someone better than Rattler, and defer the rookie scale contract.

At 56 you could still get a great defensive piece that could be a contributor for 10 years.
Rattler at this point is probably a top 3 QB in the 2025 draft.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:04 pm
William Munny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:22 pm

Quite possibly. AZ may be fine with just getting one of the top 4 WR's while picking up another 1st round pick to get another premium player. Who knows. I do think that that Vikings want Maye or McCarthy. Likely 1A and 1B respectively. I am watching "Patriots Today" on Youtube and the guy is doing a mock for the Patriots if they trade the #3 pick to the Vikings for #11, #23, #129 (4th rounder) and the 2025 first rounder. Vikings would get #3 and #137 (5th rounder). Guy has the Patriots taking:

#11 - Brock Bowers
#23 - Brian Thomas Jr.
#29 - Tyler Guyton OL after trading back into the 1st round
#56 - Spencer Rattler Qb after trading with Cleveland
Good result, but why even bother taking Rattler in that case? You'll have two first round picks next year, just anticipate using those to get your QB of the future. Even if it's a "downyear" for QBs, you'll still probably have a good chance to get someone better than Rattler, and defer the rookie scale contract.

At 56 you could still get a great defensive piece that could be a contributor for 10 years.
I don't agree with that.
Rattler still needs a ton of work and is already 23 years old.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:06 pm

I don't agree with that.
I'd rather have him than Dion's kid, not because he is a better talent, but it's LaVar Ball 2.0 with the Sander kids.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:08 pm
I don't agree with that.
I'd rather have him than Dion's kid, not because he is a better talent, but it's LaVar Ball 2.0 with the Sander kids.
Then wait until 2026.
Cle didn't take their QB until year 3 of their rebuild, Hou didn't take Stroud until year 4.

This is a multi year rebuild, just be patient.
If you're going to choose to not take the QB early, then just commit to that deferment.
Don't waste Top 60 picks though, because the conversion of QBs on those is so low.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:13 pm

I don't agree with that.
Then wait until 2026.
Cle didn't take their QB until year 3 of their rebuild, Hou didn't take Stroud until year 4.

If you're going to choose to not take the QB early, then just commit to that deferment.
Don't waste Top 60 picks though, because the conversion of QBs on those is so low.
Where are we in our competitive rebuild?

Seems like teams take quarterbacks and then build around them. It is hard to time it properly though. The Pats took Mac Jones after Brady and tried to time it. Another pick does seem early, but the free agents are crap as well.

Part of the issue is that teams are doing a poor job of grooming quarterbacks. The game is so difficult today for quarterbacks. Then injuries on top of everything.

Vikings having Hall, Darnold, and a rookie first rounder would be a nice quarterback room.

A lot of the failure in quarterbacks today falls on coaches and the NFL teams firing guys too quickly. The coaches move around too much and can’t build a competitive team.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:46 pm
Then wait until 2026.

Seems like teams take quarterbacks and then build around them. It is hard to time it properly though. The Pats took Mac Jones after Brady and tried to time it. Another pick does seem early, but the free agents are crap as well.

Part of the issue is that teams are doing a poor job of grooming quarterbacks. The game is so difficult today for quarterbacks. Then injuries on top of everything.

Vikings having Hall, Darnold, and a rookie first rounder would be a nice quarterback room.

A lot of the failure in quarterbacks today falls on coaches and the NFL teams firing guys too quickly. The coaches move around too much and can’t build a competitive team.

I am not saying they should pass on the QB. Just that, if they choose to and move down, don't settle for a lesser QB prospect in lieu of taking another top end positional player. Just defer the QB pick until the next year, when you'll probably be near the Top 10 again.
If you want to take the QB though, then take the QB. That's totally fine as well.

Regarding where the Vikes are at, it really doesn't matter in my opinion.
The Vikes SHOULD have been a team like the Eagles that remained competitive while moving from a highly priced veteran QB to a rookie scale QB, but they completely botched the 2022 draft and their 2023 class still only looks solid in a theoretical sense.
A better organization would have had them in a better state, so there's not really any blueprint for them at this point.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

PA said that the Vikings have a "handshake deal" with a team in the top 5. Chargers are the suspected team.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

William Munny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:17 pm I will say again, I would avoid Jayden Daniels as I think he will get "broken." Maybe he is gumby in waiting, but his running will get his RG3'd really quickly if not controlled.
His weight is similar to Lamar Jackson. He does need to add a few pounds though.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:07 pm
Rumor vs rumor!

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:59 pm
bump. you decide.
R403

Post by R403 »

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:16 pm
bump. you decide.
He looked fine to me. Missed a couple deep balls by a yard or two. Big deal.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Style

Post by Style »

William Munny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:13 pm PA said that the Vikings have a "handshake deal" with a team in the top 5. Chargers are the suspected team.
This is interesting. PA is plugged in of course.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:46 pm
Do whatever you have to do to get Maye.

I’m telling you… plug in Maye with our weapons and we are immediately in the conversation for the division title.

They draft JJ and it will be excuse after excuse for three years. He just needs this, he just needs that… blah blah blah
R403

Post by R403 »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:51 pm

I’m telling you… plug in Maye with our weapons and we are immediately in the conversation for the division title.

They draft JJ and it will be excuse after excuse for three years. He just needs this, he just needs that… blah blah blah

No need to worry they are not drafting JJ. I would be surprised if JJ is even a first round pick.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

SPOT FN ON.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

FUCK IT…. If you can’t get Maye, FUCK IT…. Draft the best defensive players with #11 and #23 and build this thing around Darnold.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 am FUCK IT…. If you can’t get Maye, FUCK IT…. Draft the best defensive players with #11 and #23 and build this thing around Darnold.
Phnx Sports had a scoop on the Cardinals trading #4 to the Vikings. The hosts sound set on not getting MHJ and trading back with MN.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oh dear God, not that again! The excuses sucked the life out of this place the last 6 years. If KOC sees something special in Maye trade the farm. We pick busts in the first round every other year anyway. We have entire draft classes that sucked.

The nice thing is by not being strapped with Captain Kirk’s salary it puts less pressure on the draft to build. Look at all the guys we have signed this offseason for our defense. Look at how quickly we dropped when Kirk came and Rick had to rely on the draft.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

bump. you decide.
JJ AND Maye are being pimped for their up the middle passing, but I am seeing some crisp timing route passes across the middle deep here. Of course, this is without gear and defenders.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

minnemike wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am
bump. you decide.
JJ AND Maye are being pimped for their up the middle passing, but I am seeing some crisp timing route passes across the middle deep here. Of course, this is without gear and defenders.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the reward and the risk of daniels as your team's QB. i think the reward is worth the risk--i'd bet KOC and kwesi do too.

Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am the reward and the risk of daniels as your team's QB. i think the reward is worth the risk--i'd bet KOC and kwesi do too.

That’s the concern with him. The skills are there. He needs to not get airborne when he’s about to be tackled. That is for sure.
j-one

Post by j-one »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:55 pm

Then wait until 2026.

I am not saying they should pass on the QB. Just that, if they choose to and move down, don't settle for a lesser QB prospect in lieu of taking another top end positional player. Just defer the QB pick until the next year, when you'll probably be near the Top 10 again.
If you want to take the QB though, then take the QB. That's totally fine as well.

The Vikes SHOULD have been a team like the Eagles that remained competitive while moving from a highly priced veteran QB to a rookie scale QB, but they completely botched the 2022 draft and their 2023 class still only looks solid in a theoretical sense.
A better organization would have had them in a better state, so there's not really any blueprint for them at this point.
If the trades don't materialize to get the QB they want this year and decide to grab one next year, I'd trade away 23 for a first rounder next year +- whatever other picks that go with that. In this case the Vike would have a high pick on their own, but would it be high enough?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

j-one wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:55 pm

If the trades don't materialize to get the QB they want this year and decide to grab one next year, I'd trade away 23 for a first rounder next year +- whatever other picks that go with that. In this case the Vike would have a high pick on their own, but would it be high enough?
I should first clarify that my comment about pushing off the QB decision would have been in regards to a rebuilding team like the Patriots, who just had a large organizational rehaul and are years away from contending.
It wasn't related to the Vikings.

With that caveat out of the way and now shifting to a Vikes conversation, I'd really have a hard time believing that a trade couldn't materialize.
They have more assets to work with than any other team they should be competing with, and there supposedly are teams available in the early part of the draft that have reason and motivation to move down. It seems very logical that a trade can materialize.

Not to mention the fact that they have already delayed this decision for two drafts (had options to draft Pickett and Levis for free, but passed) because supposedly this was supposed to be the QB year.

If they can't put something together, I think you really have to start to question what they're doing.
In theory I get that you shouldn't "overpay" in a draft and that you can slowly and assuredly build a nucleus, however this would also involve them going into the year with Sam Darnold as your only QB.

That's a monster risk and if it blows up in their face, they probably get fired.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am
i think it would be entertaining football to watch if the vikings could get him for sure.