Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cdr2529

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by cdr2529 »

Because if they want McCarthy they would make the trade for Arizona now they do need to wait for the draft day to get the fourth pick
D_H

Post by D_H »

cdr2529 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:32 pm Because if they want McCarthy they would make the trade for Arizona now they do need to wait for the draft day to get the fourth pick
I think it’s pretty well documented they don’t think much of JJ McCarthy, nor should they.

"I think they like all those guys," Wolfson said on Thursday's Mackey and Judd show. "Now, I get it there's one that's clear cut. Let's take Caleb out of the equation, Caleb going No. 1 to the Bears. But of the three, among Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels and J.J. McCarthy, my sense is the Vikings have pretty strong, good opinions on all three and have dismissed JJ McCarthy from people I have talked to in the organization. Now, I understand it if Maye is clear cut No. 1 of those three but I'm telling you there's been very, very little Jayden Daniels chatter and I guess I don't get it. I'm not sitting here dismissing the possibility of Daniels ultimately being the guy here."
D_H

Post by D_H »

Lolollloo

You have to hand it to the JJ McCarthy camp they’re really putting on a great campaign! Lol

While it may seem like a pipe dream to many, the Bears have, in fact, had a formal meeting with McCarthy, he shared at the NFL scouting combine. Reports are the Bears are seriously pondering the idea of selecting JJ McCarthy with the first pick.

“Been great — formal interview. It was awesome watching tape with them,” McCarthy said. “Going over our plays a little bit and they got me up on the board to retain some information. I did pretty well, so it was awesome.”
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:22 pm You don’t trade away a bunch of picks for a guy who isn’t “Sexy”.

If this team trades up to take JJ over MHJ, it’s going to go down as one of the most laughable moments in this franchises history a few years from now.
Trade value isn’t solely determined by the player in question, there are other variables to account for. You have to factor in the competition, there’s going to be other bidders for JJ. He isn’t going to last to 11, flat out he will not make it, the giants are a strong bet to take him at 6 as it appears Daniel jones is on the outs in that org, that’s the floor. Also, when you consider cousins is no longer on the roster that puts even more pressure to get a qb. Darnold is a one year option and may not even last till week 17. All of this naturally drives up the price whether you like it or not, just the nature of doing business.

We need to come out of round 1 with a qb, it would be malpractice by kwesi not to. Banking on a day 2 or 3 option to become the long term starter is way too risky. Penix and nix are all ok options but their ages make their ceilings considerably lower than the top 4. Best case scenario they pan out but in another 6 years or so you’re in the same position you’re in now, looking for the next option. McCarthy has a lower floor and perhaps more bust potential, but he has a higher ceiling and as a gm and koc/qb whisperer, you need to bet on the player with a higher ceiling
D_H

Post by D_H »

SKOLMN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:22 pm You don’t trade away a bunch of picks for a guy who isn’t “Sexy”.

If this team trades up to take JJ over MHJ, it’s going to go down as one of the most laughable moments in this franchises history a few years from now.
Trade value isn’t solely determined by the player in question, there are other variables to account for. You have to factor in the competition, there’s going to be other bidders for JJ. He isn’t going to last to 11, flat out he will not make it, the giants are a strong bet to take him at 6 as it appears Daniel jones is on the outs in that org, that’s the floor. Also, when you consider cousins is no longer on the roster that puts even more pressure to get a qb. Darnold is a one year option and may not even last till week 17. All of this naturally drives up the price whether you like it or not, just the nature of doing business.

We need to come out of round 1 with a qb, it would be malpractice by kwesi not to. Banking on a day 2 or 3 option to become the long term starter is way too risky. Penix and nix are all ok options but their ages make their ceilings considerably lower than the top 4. Best case scenario they pan out but in another 6 years or so you’re in the same position you’re in now, looking for the next option. McCarthy has a lower floor and perhaps more bust potential, but he has a higher ceiling and as a gm and koc/qb whisperer, you need to bet on the player with a higher ceiling
What in the world have you seen on JJ McCarthy thinking he has a high ceiling. He threw three interceptions against Bowling Green, and it was painfully obvious his head coach did not want him to play any part in the national championship game like Jason McIntyre said on the Colin Herd show a couple weeks ago. The only people hyping up JJ McCarthy are the people from his camp. He has not heard anything from NFL personnel positive about him.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

D_H wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:48 pm
SKOLMN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 pm

What in the world have you seen on JJ McCarthy thinking he has a high ceiling. He threw three interceptions against Bowling Green, and it was painfully obvious his head coach did not want him to play any part in the national championship game like Jason McIntyre said on the Colin Herd show a couple weeks ago. The only people hyping up JJ McCarthy are the people from his camp. He has not heard anything from NFL personnel positive about him.
He’s 20, plenty of development left to achieve. He’s a dual threat which Penix and nix aren’t. Doesn’t come with the injury concerns Penix does. Known to have a high football iq as he was allowed to make checks and adjust oline protection at Michigan. Contrary to some preconceived notions he has positives, posters like you just choose to magnify his weaknesses
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:56 pm
That front seven looking supper nice when you pencil in Murphy.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

D_H wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 pm Lolollloo

You have to hand it to the JJ McCarthy camp they’re really putting on a great campaign! Lol

While it may seem like a pipe dream to many, the Bears have, in fact, had a formal meeting with McCarthy, he shared at the NFL scouting combine. Reports are the Bears are seriously pondering the idea of selecting JJ McCarthy with the first pick.

“Been great — formal interview. It was awesome watching tape with them,” McCarthy said. “Going over our plays a little bit and they got me up on the board to retain some information. I did pretty well, so it was awesome.”
The JJ Mac chatter is because I think it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that the top 3 aren’t budging. That leaves 3-4 teams that are desperate for a QB to have to fight over table scraps. McCarthy is “according to the 4 letter network” and other media platforms the next best thing. I disagree, but that’s why we are hearing a lot about him. I 100% see a scenario where he falls in the draft behind Nix and or Penix, but here we are.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Who is this Tony guy and how does he know this! :D
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:23 am
D_H wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 pm Lolollloo

The JJ Mac chatter is because I think it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that the top 3 aren’t budging. That leaves 3-4 teams that are desperate for a QB to have to fight over table scraps. McCarthy is “according to the 4 letter network” and other media platforms the next best thing. I disagree, but that’s why we are hearing a lot about him. I 100% see a scenario where he falls in the draft behind Nix and or Penix, but here we are.
Good points, but at this stage, anything and everything is possible.

It's a good thing KOC is going to get a very very good look at JMAC this weekend. I pretty much trust KOC here (we have to) to determine if a QB is selected, which one and if they even draft a QB at all. I do think they have higher hopes for Darnold than most everyone else on the planet.
populousample

Post by populousample »

This over reaching for Nix or Penix at this pick. One of those two might be avail at 23.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

populousample wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:11 am
This over reaching for Nix or Penix at this pick. One of those two might be avail at 23.
I agree.

I really want us to swing up for a top QB, but if we don’t or try and can’t, go elsewhere at 11 and use 23 to get one (maybe moving a little if we have to).
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

D_H

Post by D_H »

Adofo-Mensah flipped a pair of second-rounders to add more ammo in this year’s draft. The newly obtained 23rd overall pick and the organic 11th overall pick are envisioned to be packaged in exchange for a top draft choice that would land Jayden Daniels (LSU) or Drake Maye (North Carolina) depending on who is drafted after presumed first-overall QB Caleb Williams and which pick the Vikings could get in return.

If Adofo-Mensah can’t find a trade partner, and the top 3 passers are off the board? He must plan for that possibility, and according he has a draft target in that case. Reporting from Texas’ Pro Day, he once again mentioned defensive tackle Byron Murphy as a player the Vikings enjoy.

Defensive tackle Byron Murphy, looking like Mr. Universe as he worked out shirtless, looked terrific in drills, just as he did during the combine. The Bears, Falcons and Colts met Murphy the last two days, as did the Vikings.

This is also great to hear as a Viking fan. I’m guessing they go a defense at 11 then quarterback at 23 after the top three guys there is no use reaching for anybody.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:56 pm Adofo-Mensah flipped a pair of second-rounders to add more ammo in this year’s draft. The newly obtained 23rd overall pick and the organic 11th overall pick are envisioned to be packaged in exchange for a top draft choice that would land Jayden Daniels (LSU) or Drake Maye (North Carolina) depending on who is drafted after presumed first-overall QB Caleb Williams and which pick the Vikings could get in return.

If Adofo-Mensah can’t find a trade partner, and the top 3 passers are off the board? He must plan for that possibility, and according he has a draft target in that case. Reporting from Texas’ Pro Day, he once again mentioned defensive tackle Byron Murphy as a player the Vikings enjoy.

Defensive tackle Byron Murphy, looking like Mr. Universe as he worked out shirtless, looked terrific in drills, just as he did during the combine. The Bears, Falcons and Colts met Murphy the last two days, as did the Vikings.

This is also great to hear as a Viking fan. I’m guessing they go a defense at 11 then quarterback at 23 after the top three guys there is no use reaching for anybody.
Keep telling yourself that. You are gonna stroke out when McCarthy is the Vikings pick at #4.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:29 pm
I like this dude and have seen his name pop up attached to the Vikings before. Not sure he lasts to our 4th rounder, but could be a small trade-up target.

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:40 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:29 pm
I like this dude and have seen his name pop up attached to the Vikings before. Not sure he lasts to our 4th rounder, but could be a small trade-up target.
Chris Hovan 2.0
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Here is Mel talking with Rich about the draft this year and the QB's, a great segment. There is a really interesting bombshell here. Mel says that the Chiefs tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch who was drafted by Denver and a bust. Because they couldn't move up they moved back and drafted Chris Jones. Then the next year got a trade done.... For Patrick Mahomes.

How do you explain that type of luck? Jones and Mahomes are both at the top their positional rankings in the NFL and to think it could have been Paxton Lynch is mind blowing. This is why I have pretty much just accepted that the best way forward is to project belief that whatever happens will be the best thing that can happen and that's the most positive thing I could do. I can like this QB more than that QB for reasons but it doesn't really make it the best overall outcome.

If I had to guess at how this all unfolded for Kansas City I would say that as a group that staff had an unequivocal inner belief that they could put together something special and the events that unfolded are truly amazing.

This is a bit of an esoteric view point but it's my best possible way of explaining how these results manifested themselves into reality. Is there ever really any accidents or does it happen for a reason and how does it happen?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Not taking anything away from KC in terms of their talent evaluators. You look at their track record and it's really obvious they have an eye for talent. They would be a perfect example of why the draft is not a total crap shoot. When one organization under one Head Coach keeps churning out high level prospects all the time.

I've found it much easier to evaluate non-QB and be way more spot on with my hits like clockwork. It is a crap shoot to some extent because of injuries, ect but it's hard to deny KC isn't killing it evaluating talent and at some point it's not an accident, there just really good.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

I'd be perfectly fine with a Byron Murphy at 11 and a Nix or Pennix, at 22.

If they fail, should be drafting pretty early next year anyways.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:46 pm I'd be perfectly fine with a Byron Murphy at 11 and a Nix or Pennix, at 22.

I'll be surprised if Bo makes it past Denver. Maybe if JJ makes it there they like him more, so if the Giants and Minnesota was to pass on JJ it could cause Bo to be available later.

There really isn't any major red flags with Bo to make me believe Denver doesn't take a chance. They really need a QB.

I think Minnesota can win a lot of ways in this draft. The worse case scenario is unloading massive draft capital to move up and get the next Paxton Lynch.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:44 pm Not taking anything away from KC in terms of their talent evaluators. You look at their track record and it's really obvious they have an eye for talent. They would be a perfect example of why the draft is not a total crap shoot. When one organization under one Head Coach keeps churning out high level prospects all the time.

I've found it much easier to evaluate non-QB and be way more spot on with my hits like clockwork. It is a crap shoot to some extent because of injuries, ect but it's hard to deny KC isn't killing it evaluating talent and at some point it's not an accident, there just really good.
The reason it can be difficult to evaluate QBs is the college rules are so different than the NFL, with the wide hash being 90% of the differences. YOu also add that the talent in NCAA football at all levels is not even close to being evenly distributed you create the necessity of converting what they do to in college to the pro game and that is total judgement.

For example, I brought this up with JJ McCarthy. One of the biggest criticisms of JJ is his throws outside the numbers on quick outs from the far hash. I think the main problem is he is just a bit late with his alignment but even more importantly, these are throws that will never, ever, ever, be called in the NFL. The far hash in the NFL is a lot different than the far hash in college, so why bother to evaluate those throws. In college you can make those throws because the defense has so much ground to cover on the wide side you can sneak a receiver under the coverage.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:51 pm
Head Coach wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:46 pm I'd be perfectly fine with a Byron Murphy at 11 and a Nix or Pennix, at 22.

I'll be surprised if Bo makes it past Denver. Maybe if JJ makes it there they like him more, so if the Giants and Minnesota was to pass on JJ it could cause Bo to be available later.

There really isn't any major red flags with Bo to make me believe Denver doesn't take a chance. They really need a QB.

I think Minnesota can win a lot of ways in this draft. The worse case scenario is unloading massive draft capital to move up and get the next Paxton Lynch.
I think Bo has a pretty solid floor. So I don’t think he’s a trainwreck waiting to happen. But I think his ceiling is low. The lowest of the top-7 names. On that basis, I’m least excited by him.

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:45 pm

I think Bo has a pretty solid floor. So I don’t think he’s a trainwreck waiting to happen. But I think his ceiling is low. The lowest of the top-7 names. On that basis, I’m least excited by him.
I guess I dont know what his floor is, will take your word on that. But I definitely I agree on his ceiling. I dont get the fascination with the guy. Surrounded by talent in a pass happy offense in a conf where defense is optional and who didn't do much in SEC.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:53 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:45 pm

I guess I dont know what his floor is, will take your word on that. But I definitely I agree on his ceiling. I dont get the fascination with the guy. Surrounded by talent in a pass happy offense in a conf where defense is optional and who didn't do much in SEC.
Like I said in my write up on Nix, whatever he did at Oregon takes a back seat to how I viewed his beginning career in the SEC and the end of his college career in the Senior Bowl. At Auburn, he wasn't even a guy who was going to get drafted.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Nix is accurate in the short game and mobile. He’ll be able to make some things happen. I don’t think he’s a great fit for us. He just doesn’t have enough arm to maximize JJ in O’Connell’s offense. But he could be a reasonable option elsewhere. Just not a high end one.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

COT DAMN RICK. COT DAMN.

“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 am COT DAMN RICK. COT DAMN.

Clickbait.

He used to be “Trader Rick.” He’s changed jobs. Now he’s “Rick the Click.”

- Isaac Asimov