Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kyle Anderson

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: Kyle Anderson

Post by somuchyummy »

I think Kyle has been the scapegoat du jour. Or perhaps "du saison". Ooh la la. Everybody needs a scapegoat to point a finger at, but I'm not so sure it adds up. We've also won a ton of games this year, we sit on top of the western conference (I think), and we have a top two D in the league. And Anderson has had a big role in our rotation thru all of it. Still, we need a scapegoat.

This isn't a comprehensive analysis by any stretch, but let's look at Kyle in the final minutes of our two most recent bad losses - the hornets and spurs games.

We were up ten with 9 to go in the hornets game when KA was subbed out and went to the bench. He came back in three minutes later. In those three minutes, the tide of the game changed and we were outscored 10-1. Kyle had nothing to do with it, that was five other TWolves fucking up. We were outscored by another 5 points to close out the game in a loss, and Kyle was on the floor for that - but there's an argument to be had that the game turned in that earlier 10-1 spree by Charlotte.

In the Spurs game, KA got subbed out with 650 to go and the Spurs up by 3, and he sat on the bench till the last few seconds. During those six minutes he was out, our O purred to the tune of 17 points - unfortunately we so did the Spurs, who scored 15 in the final stretch to hang on and win by one.

In both of these bad losses in which we couldn't handle an inferior opponent in the final minutes, I'm not sure u can make a good case for Slo Mo being the bad guy. Yet he's the guy the fingers immediately point to.

As I've said before, I'm ok with trading him for the right piece - but I don't for a second think that our problems will evaporate into the mist as soon as he's out of here.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Greenbolt

Post by Greenbolt »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:07 pm I think Kyle has been the scapegoat du jour. Everybody needs a scapegoat to point a finger at, but I'm not so sure it adds up. We've also won a ton of games this year, we sit on top of the western conference (I think), and we have a top two D in the league. And Anderson has had a big role in our rotation thru all of it. Still, we need a scapegoat.

This isn't a comprehensive analysis by any stretch, but let's look at Kyle in the final minutes of our two most recent bad losses - the hornets and spurs games.

We were up ten with 9 to go in the hornets game when KA was subbed out and went to the bench. He came back in three minutes later. In those three minutes, the tide of the game changed and we were outscored 10-1. Kyle had nothing to do with it, that was five other TWolves fucking up. We were outscored by another 5 points to close out the game in a loss, and Kyle was on the floor for that - but there's an argument to be had that the game turned in that earlier 10-1 spree by Charlotte.

In the Spurs game, KA got subbed out with 650 to go and the Spurs up by 3, and he sat on the bench till the last few seconds. During those six minutes he was out, our O purred to the tune of 17 points - unfortunately we so did the Spurs, who scored 15 in the final stretch to hang on and win by one.

In both of these bad losses in which we couldn't handle an inferior opponent in the final minutes, I'm not sure u can make a good case for Slo Mo being the bad guy. Yet he's the guy the fingers immediately point to.

As I've said before, I'm ok with trading him for the right piece - but I don't for a second think that our problems will evaporate into the mist as soon as he's out of here.
yeah, i think we have a lot more issues than Slo-Mo. but nonetheless i think Slo-Mo has been bad to the point where he serves no purpose being in the rotation. you can't just not score, not space at all, and play subpar defense while barely doing anything else
Greenbolt

Post by Greenbolt »

also, you can have a bad piece on the team and still have a great record, lol

the logic of 'we're good and Slo-Mo has played a lot of minutes, so Slo-Mo must be good' doesn't make sense
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Anderson really hurts our offense. But I don’t remember anyone specifically blaming him for either the Charlotte or San Antonio losses.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

We have 7 days. What's a legit, believeable, decent Kyle trade?

I'm starting to wonder if a TJ McConnell-tier might be about what we should shoot for. The trouble is that Indiana has been loading up on PFs and tweeners. What use would they have in Kyle - other than shedding McConnell's deal a year early? Which i think is only partially guaranteed anyway.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Roy Kent

Post by Roy Kent »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:07 pm I think Kyle has been the scapegoat du jour. Everybody needs a scapegoat to point a finger at, but I'm not so sure it adds up. We've also won a ton of games this year, we sit on top of the western conference (I think), and we have a top two D in the league. And Anderson has had a big role in our rotation thru all of it. Still, we need a scapegoat.

So many more factors than just that. Who subbed in for the other team? Who subbed out for us in addition to Kyle? +/- is a dumb stat to analyze an individual imo.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Roy Kent wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:56 am

So many more factors than just that. Who subbed in for the other team? Who subbed out for us in addition to Kyle? +/- is a dumb stat to analyze an individual imo.
I think I mentioned that, maybe not. My point WAS that Kyle gets blamed for a lot of stuff around here - but you can't blame those two Fourth Quarter collapses against bad teams on him. Other wolves were the culprits, not him. Accordingly, if we trade him, don't expect all the problems we may have to suddenly vanish.

And another fourth quarter turd against Orlando we can't lay at his feet. We were up by two when Kyle got subbed out at the 9:15 mark. He came back in with 4 secs to go. In the 9:11 he was out, we were outscored 18-11. Again, lots of factors at play. But having him off the court wasn't a solution either.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Here's the guys I looked at who fit the salary requirements for a Kyle trade plus are on East teams, more likely to trade with us. Some of these, the only advantage I see in our favor is that KA is expiring - but in most cases, I don't see them as entirely realistic. I'm of the mindset that I'd rather not attach picks and/or lose Lenny in a deal.

Pacers - TJ McConnell. This would be about perfect for us going into the playoffs. However, the Pacers have loaded up on PFs and tweeners in the last couple years - why trade for Kyle?

Bucks - Pat Connaughton. He plays low 20s like Kyle, they might want more size, and PCs production has fallen off. Still a solid 38% from three though and a decent defender. Could work off the bench subbing for Ant and moving NAW behind Mike. Plus the Bucks have hit some rough waters, maybe they are looking for a minor shakeup.

Sixers - DeAnthony Melton. He'd be nearly perfect for us, but it's a stretch because he's just a better player than KA. He is, however, coming off a lumber stress fracture, and maybe they are leery of moving forward with him. That, of course, would be a risk for us too. Regardless, with Embiid's injury, the sixers may just shut down for the season and reassess everything in the summer.

Bulls - Alex Caruso. A pipe dream, he will likely bring back more than Kyle. But AC will get moved - both Ayo Dosumnu and Coby White have been developing nicely. The only thing in our favor is Kyle's expiring - however, Caruso's deal next year is only guarateed for $3M - so the FA money freed up in a trade isn't as attractive.

Bulls again. Jevon Carter and Terry Taylor. This is a believable scenario. If you don't know Taylor, he's an odd NBA fit. A hard working 6-5 230 PF who had a nice run a few years back, but has since faded into obscurity and 7 mpg with a load of DNP-CDs. Deep bench at this point, but we do have an extra roster spot. Carter would be a very nice addition - and as said earlier, with the emergence of Dosumnu and White, could very likely be on the block.

Nets - Royce O'Neale. Again, a stretch for Kyle. The thing in our favor is that ONeale and Dorian Finney-Smith are somewhat redundant, and Kyle would bring an entirely different skill set to a team that might be looking for a Swiss Army knife glue guy.

Cavs - Georges Niang. This is a funny one because of some of the similarities between the KA and GN. In terms of pace of play. But they are different players - even though they play the same SF/PF positions. Niang is a career 40% shooter from three. Not the defender Kyle is, but a hard worker. Smart - it's probably how he's lasted in the league for 8 seasons. The carrot for the Cavs is that Niang has two more years after this one left on his deal - and they'd save about 9M going into summer FA - and $17.6M in all.

I think the ship has sailed on my original Kyle for Micic idea. And, yeah, maybe a conference rival wouldn't trade ANYONE to us. But, much like I was thinking, SI just had a piece talking about Micic's emergence - and that it looks like he's getting it and understanding the NBA game now, so that he'll start to do well and be the Euro MVP player they brought over. Daignault apparently loves him and is excited about his potential to be an important player for them - probably making Giddey all the more expendable. Anyway, he'd have been a really nice fit here. Bah.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the luka reaction is great too. lulz.

focker

Post by focker »

His post up game recently has looked better and he's getting some nice shots/points down low.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:03 pm
I miss the beautiful art of the mid-range game. I think that is why everyone loved watching Jordan. Everyone imitated his mid-range fadeaway.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

focker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:08 am His post up game recently has looked better and he's getting some nice shots/points down low.
Isn't it nice to be able to score in other ways when the team is shooting 4-26 from three!?!

I always thought we were kinda wrecking Slomo by insisting he shoot 3's. He's so effective both as a scorer and passer when he gets in the lane.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

A$$MAN wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:26 am
focker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:08 am His post up game recently has looked better and he's getting some nice shots/points down low.
Isn't it nice to be able to score in other ways when the team is shooting 4-26 from three!?!

I always thought we were kinda wrecking Slomo by insisting he shoot 3's. He's so effective both as a scorer and passer when he gets in the lane.
:thumbsup:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Yep, it's been a year long process to get things working compared to where they were at last year.

If they can stay together for a couple more seasons and keep this progress, I get Spur vibes: Defense, smart ball movement, and enough star power to carry you in spots.
focker

Post by focker »

I do at times get frustrated when we're constantly jacking up 3's instead of pump faking and driving for a layup and/or foul. We often don't get opponents into the Bonus until deep into to quarter because we shoot so many three's.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!