Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings doing due diligence on top RBs of the draft

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Vikings doing due diligence on top RBs of the draft

Post by RubeTube »

Per Doogie Wolfson on Channel 5 news…

Vikings taking serious looks at the top end RBs of the 2024 NFL Draft. Said they really like the speedster Trey Benson.

#ConsiderYourselfScooped
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Re: Vikings doing due diligence on top RBs of the draft

Post by hategreenticemase »

Good Lord. I think I would prefer your "scoops". :lol:
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Dookie is really onto something.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

This isn't a scoop. This was discussed a while back.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

I'm sure they are very serious about getting the running game going eithe either Darnold or a rookie.

Hence why Risner not resigned.

They did go pretty heavy on D in free agency so this might be an offensive directed draft.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I think running back is a position they need to address in the 2024 draft to add depth through the near term. Aaron Jones is a great signing because it pushes this need into the future.

I think the best running back in this draft is Jonothan Brooks out of Texas. Like the Texas backs from last year, he is a solid combination of speed, elusiveness, size, and receiving. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Aaron Jones in style. Even though he is 216 lbs he is not a power back, but he is slippery so he gets a lot of yards after contact by slipping the tackles and changing his shoulder pad angles.

I think Brooks is a late 2nd round type of player.

I think it would be a terrific draft for the Vikings if they were able to get one of Brooks, Jaylen Wright of Tennessee, Blake Corum of Michigan, or Benson (FLorida St). But after pick 11, they do not have a pick until the 4th round.

The second tier of RBs which is more likely to be available is MarShawn Lloyr USC, Braelon Allen WI, Wil Shipley Clemson, Ray Davis Kentucky, and as a bit of a sleeper Isaiah Davis from SoDak.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Isaac Guerendo of Louisville. He ran a 4.33 40 at the combine at 220 lbs. Louisville via Wisconsin, he looks more like a fullback than a 4.33 running back with a very compact build. His speed is totally deceptive although I am not sure he plays on the field to his timed speed. He has some power and is a solid one cut back, but he lacks elusiveness.

I like Bucky Irving, a former Gopher, but I am not sure he is the size RB we need to draft.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:39 pm I think running back is a position they need to address in the 2024 draft to add depth through the near term. Aaron Jones is a great signing because it pushes this need into the future.

I think the best running back in this draft is Jonothan Brooks out of Texas. Like the Texas backs from last year, he is a solid combination of speed, elusiveness, size, and receiving. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Aaron Jones in style. Even though he is 216 lbs he is not a power back, but he is slippery so he gets a lot of yards after contact by slipping the tackles and changing his shoulder pad angles.

I think it would be a terrific draft for the Vikings if they were able to get one of Brooks, Jaylen Wright of Tennessee, Blake Corum of Michigan, or Benson (FLorida St). But after pick 11, they do not have a pick until the 4th round.

The second tier of RBs which is more likely to be available is MarShawn Lloyr USC, Braelon Allen WI, Wil Shipley Clemson, Ray Davis Kentucky, and as a bit of a sleeper Isaiah Davis from SoDak.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Isaac Guerendo of Louisville. He ran a 4.33 40 at the combine at 220 lbs. Louisville via Wisconsin, he looks more like a fullback than a 4.33 running back with a very compact build. His speed is totally deceptive although I am not sure he plays on the field to his timed speed. He has some power and is a solid one cut back, but he lacks elusiveness.

I like Bucky Irving, a former Gopher, but I am not sure he is the size RB we need to draft.
This team has too many other holes to worry about rb when we have two quality guys already. Draft a guy next year, unless can get a decent prospect late.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:54 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:39 pm I think running back is a position they need to address in the 2024 draft to add depth through the near term. Aaron Jones is a great signing because it pushes this need into the future.

This team has too many other holes to worry about rb when we have two quality guys already. Draft a guy next year, unless can get a decent prospect late.
We have one proven guy, right? Chandler had an adequate year but he is far from proven "quality", especially with his pass pro which was terrible. I am willing to accept Chandler as part of the offense, but I am drafting a RB this season somewhere in the draft. I woudl prefer to get one of the top level guys I mention above, but they might not be sitting there in the 4th round when we pick.

So, a guy from the second tier is probably what we should expect.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:04 pm

We have one proven guy, right? Chandler had an adequate year but he is far from proven "quality", especially with his pass pro which was terrible. I am willing to accept Chandler as part of the offense, but I am drafting a RB this season somewhere in the draft. I woudl prefer to get one of the top level guys I mention above, but they might not be sitting there in the 4th round when we pick.

Completely agree. The proven guy misses as much time as he plays the last few years and is 30 years old in December also.

If anything shows that Chandler isn’t their guy, it’s the Vikings spending 7 million on a 30 year old RB. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 pm

Completely agree. The proven guy misses as much time as he plays the last few years and is 30 years old in December also.
This is different when I questioned the pick of Ty Chandler. Then we had Cook and Mattison, two established backs. I liked Chandler as a pick, and criticizing a 5th round pick because of positional need was pushing criticism a bit, but today's situation is different with backfield depth.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:07 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 pm

This is different when I questioned the pick of Ty Chandler. Then we had Cook and Mattison, two established backs. I liked Chandler as a pick, and criticizing a 5th round pick because of positional need was pushing criticism a bit, but today's situation is different with backfield depth.
I don’t mind Chandler or the pick but he’s nobody I want to see on the field a majority of the time. He’s decent to have as a backup guy but he has shown nothing that he should have a major role in the offense.

Aaron Jones is hurt constantly. I don’t care to see games this year where Chandler is the starting RB.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

As the RB position has been devalued in recent years, it has almost become “cool” to completely trash the position. In my opinion, the RB position is now undervalued by most Froobs.

Having a good RB is still a tremendous asset to a team. The problem is obviously shelf life. So you don’t want to invest tremendous salary guarantees into the spot, especially for future years.

But having a good RB makes everything easier on offense. And not having one puts a lot of pressure of the rest of the team, as we saw last year.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

We have two proven guys assuming he fixes the pass pro this offseason. No reason to think be won't. He is just fine for rb2, and I think he becomes a good rb1 in next 1-2 years.

I want to change what I said. I would take a guy but I'm going with one of my later picks. If he has no future it's a higher priority in 2025.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:18 pm

We have two proven guys assuming he fixes the pass pro this offseason. No reason to think be won't. He is just fine for rb2, and I think he becomes a good rb1 in next 1-2 years.

I want to change what I said. I would take a guy but I'm going with one of my later picks. If he has no future it's a higher priority in 2025.
Who in the fuck waits for a RB to take 5 years to develop? :lol:

I’ll bet money he doesn’t even get a second contract here. RB is the easiest position to come right in the league and make an impact right away. In fact, most RBs best years are on their rookie deal. Don’t worry though no need for a back Ty FN Chandler is about to be ready in year #5 to be a RB #1. :lol:

Also why are we so concerned about plugging holes this year? This team needs to be getting the best young players it can. There are very few positions this team doesn’t need.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:02 pm

I’ll bet money he doesn’t even get a second contract here. RB is the easiest position to come right in the league and make an impact right away. In fact, most RBs best years are on their rookie deal. Don’t worry though no need for a back Ty FN Chandler is about to be ready in year #5 to be a RB #1. :lol:

Also why are we so concerned about plugging holes this year? This team needs to be getting the best young players it can. There are very few positions this team doesn’t need.
A guy whose next start will be his 5th start of his career "take 5 years to develop". How you type one of your complete nonsense with a straight face is a mystery of God. :lol:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Doogie also said this on with Mackey and Judd…

“I’ll give you one thing that I’ve heard a lot the last couple weeks. Draft-wise, away from the quarterback position, is all the work the Vikings have been doing on running backs like the Florida State running back,” Wolfson said on SKOR North’s “Mackey and Judd” podcast.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Posting "scoops" from something called "Doogie". Can't. Make. It. Up. You should ask DH if he has some scoops. :lol:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:13 am Posting "scoops" from something called "Doogie". Can't. Make. It. Up. You should ask DH if he has some scoops. :lol:
:lol:
Style

Post by Style »

Pass on RB this year. Roll with Jones/Chandler. Get the QB. Draft RB next year with one of the 3rds.

Every year matters for RB shelf life. Don’t waste a quality RB year on a team bridge year.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:33 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:02 pm

A guy whose next start will be his 5th start of his career "take 5 years to develop". How you type one of your complete nonsense with a straight face is a mystery of God. :lol:
Lol Most RB's careers are over after 5 years