Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fran Tarkenton on Kfan right now likes….

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
SKOLTROL

Re: Fran Tarkenton on Kfan right now likes….

Post by SKOLTROL »

mnbob70 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:04 pm This is from the Athletic:

NFL teams have taken 33 quarterbacks in the first round since 2013. Sixteen of them are currently starters in the NFL. Most of the league’s best — Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, etc. — were first-round picks.

There are lots of busts, though, too. See: EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Mitch Trubisky, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Kenny Pickett.

Pro Football Focus’ Timo Riske investigated draft success rates in 2020 and found that the odds of finding a 90th-percentile quarterback with a top-three pick is 20.7 percent. It’s sobering, to say the least. But the odds of finding a 90th-percentile quarterback in the second round? 6.6 percent.
EJ Manuel…. Forgot about that dude. That was a terrible QB draft.
Spoiler:
:fight:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SKOLTROL wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:19 pm

NFL teams have taken 33 quarterbacks in the first round since 2013. Sixteen of them are currently starters in the NFL. Most of the league’s best — Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, etc. — were first-round picks.

There are lots of busts, though, too. See: EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Mitch Trubisky, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Kenny Pickett.

Pro Football Focus’ Timo Riske investigated draft success rates in 2020 and found that the odds of finding a 90th-percentile quarterback with a top-three pick is 20.7 percent. It’s sobering, to say the least. But the odds of finding a 90th-percentile quarterback in the second round? 6.6 percent.
AS I said in some other thread, luck plays a big part of it. If you are looking for a starting QB and EJ Manuel is seemingly the best QB prospect in the draft you have shitty luck, or JaMarcus Russell. But then, if Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck are sitting there like they were for the Colts when they had the top draft pick it isn't that hard.

Speaking of Fran, I was doing some research on a football topic and stumbled upon the details of the trade of Tarkenton to the Giants. THe Vikings received two first round and two second round picks. What was interesting about this was the NFL had awarded the Giants a "bonus first round pick" that they could use either to draft a QB or trade for a QB. The bonus pick would be used either in 1967 or 1968, and the VIkings chose to use it in 1968 to draft Ron Yary.

The reason that the NFL awarded this bonus pick was purely financially motivated. The Giants were a very bad team and they could not compete against the New York Jets in the NY market. I had never heard of this bonus pick before. Jim FInks played this perfectly using the 1967 pick 2nd overall because the Giants were 1-13 in 1966. They drafted Clint JOnes with the Giants pick 2nd overall, then because they now had a new RB they traded their existing starting RB Tommy Mason to the Rams for the 15th overall pick, which they used to select Alan Page of the University of Notre Dame.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Isn't this the same guy that said having a bad oline doesn't matter?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:42 pm

AS I said in some other thread, luck plays a big part of it. If you are looking for a starting QB and EJ Manuel is seemingly the best QB prospect in the draft you have shitty luck, or JaMarcus Russell. But then, if Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck are sitting there like they were for the Colts when they had the top draft pick it isn't that hard.

Speaking of Fran, I was doing some research on a football topic and stumbled upon the details of the trade of Tarkenton to the Giants. THe Vikings received two first round and two second round picks. What was interesting about this was the NFL had awarded the Giants a "bonus first round pick" that they could use either to draft a QB or trade for a QB. The bonus pick would be used either in 1967 or 1968, and the VIkings chose to use it in 1968 to draft Ron Yary.

The reason that the NFL awarded this bonus pick was purely financially motivated. The Giants were a very bad team and they could not compete against the New York Jets in the NY market. I had never heard of this bonus pick before. Jim FInks played this perfectly using the 1967 pick 2nd overall because the Giants were 1-13 in 1966. They drafted Clint JOnes with the Giants pick 2nd overall, then because they now had a new RB they traded their existing starting RB Tommy Mason to the Rams for the 15th overall pick, which they used to select Alan Page of the University of Notre Dame.
Played it perfectly? Ya trading Mason for Allan Page is obviously outstanding but Clinton Jones at 2nd in draft is one of the biggest busts of that era. Especially when he could have drafted Floyd Little.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:07 am

Played it perfectly? Ya trading Mason for Allan Page is obviously outstanding but Clinton Jones at 2nd in draft is one of the biggest busts of that era. Especially when he could have drafted Floyd Little.
Everybody knows what should have been done 57 years later, right.

Lastly, I am not sure if you have teh historical draft knowledge to make the claim of who was the biggest bust of the era. JOnes wasn't as big of a bust as some players. The Vikings played a lot of running backs in that day: Bill Brown, Dave Osborn, Oscar Reed, even Jim Lindsay. I think the problem was in the Jerry Burns offense, Jones was not as good of a receiver as the other backs. Then in Jones' late career Ed Marinaro, Chuck Foreman, Brent McClanahan and Robert Miller replaced that group, Running back careers in the NFL in that era were very short lived and the Vikings were always trying to find new blood. They made a first round pick on Leo Hayden, a RB out of Ohio St who was a full bust.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:25 am

Lastly, I am not sure if you have teh historical draft knowledge to make the claim of who was the biggest bust of the era. JOnes wasn't as big of a bust as some players. The Vikings played a lot of running backs in that day: Bill Brown, Dave Osborn, Oscar Reed, even Jim Lindsay. I think the problem was in the Jerry Burns offense, Jones was not as good of a receiver as the other backs. Then in Jones' late career Ed Marinaro, Chuck Foreman, Brent McClanahan and Robert Miller replaced that group, Running back careers in the NFL in that era were very short lived and the Vikings were always trying to find new blood. They made a first round pick on Leo Hayden, a RB out of Ohio St who was a full bust.
Funny, it was actually Leo Hayden I was thinking of. :lol:

But, considering Jones was a 2nd guy in draft and right before a HOF back, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to claim a guy with career yards of 2000 or so rush yards was a bust. But, I admit, I had Leo on the mind when I posted it.

Jim Finks was the real deal but he blew that one.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:28 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:25 am

Funny, it was actually Leo Hayden I was thinking of. :lol:

But, considering Jones was a 2nd guy in draft and right before a HOF back, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to claim a guy with career yards of 2000 or so rush yards was a bust. But, I admit, I had Leo on the mind when I posted it.

Jim Finks was the real deal but he blew that one.
I might have posted this before, but here is a story of Leo Hayden and his life of sinking to the depths of drug addiction and his recovery. Some of the names of Vikings history are in the story, including Clinton Jones.

https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/23/a ... fe-around/
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Am I the only listener who thinks Fran comes off like a total fucking idiot?
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:01 am Am I the only listener who thinks Fran comes off like a total fucking idiot?
Fran is now 84 years old. You have to give him a little bit of leeway.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:47 am
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:01 am Am I the only listener who thinks Fran comes off like a total fucking idiot?
Him liking Nix makes total sense. undersized guy… not the strongest arm… great mobility…. Prolific thrower…

He probably sees a lot of himself in Nix and if this was 1967, Nix could probably revolutionize the game like Fran did.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

You got a point. But, to be fair, I did hold this opinion back when he was busy railing against the Brett Favre signing.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:48 pm
You got a point. But, to be fair, I did hold this opinion back when he was busy railing against the Brett Favre signing.
I dont remember Fran doing. These guys have some insights, but they clearly are not infallible.
salamander

Post by salamander »

*raises hand*
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

More work done on Bo Nix. Kid just continues to pile on positive impressions. Bo has played a lot of football and the more I watch his accuracy the more I fall in love with his game. He throws a very nice football.

I'm absolutely comfortable taking Bo at #11. He's got so many things that you need a QB to have, the scrambling ability to ad live is all bonus work. It's another dimension to his game to go along with a guy that places a beautiful football. Touch, rythm and accuracy. Different layers of football throws, really cleaned up any poor decision making in the past two years. Proven durability. Great character and work ethic.

Through the QB process I've really liked JJ, I like both these guys but I also like pick #23. JJ has a ton of work to do in his overall game where I think Bo is much more refined. JJ might develop really quick but there is a lot of projection to that. His consistent accuracy isn't quite on Bo's level or his ability to throw different types of passes. They are both very athletic. Bo has a better build IMO.

The more I dig into the draft the more I'm rocking with pick #11. #23 is gonna have a very good player available. Graham Barton is gonna be a dang good football player. That would really be neglecting the defense to some extent but it really fills out the offense and makes it very bullet proof for a rookie QB. It solidifies the Oline to a point where they can be considered top ten if Ed takes another step in his development. Putting a high level guard prospect next to Bradburry is good work. I really like the idea of 2 players instead of 1 because the QB class has so much talent to be moving up and losing 23 and potentially next years 1st. That's border line crazy draft capital.

A couple other great options at 23 is one of the CB's but preferably someone in the trenches. I highly doubt Verse gets that far but that's fun. One of the top two DT's... These guys could all be gone, right now there is a money zone for interior Olineman at 23 with most mocks and big boards I'm looking at.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
witljon

Post by witljon »

No
witljon

Post by witljon »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:24 am More work done on Bo Nix. Kid just continues to pile on positive impressions. Bo has played a lot of football and the more I watch his accuracy the more I fall in love with his game. He throws a very nice football.

I'm absolutely comfortable taking Bo at #11. He's got so many things that you need a QB to have, the scrambling ability to ad live is all bonus work. It's another dimension to his game to go along with a guy that places a beautiful football. Touch, rythm and accuracy. Different layers of football throws, really cleaned up any poor decision making in the past two years. Proven durability. Great character and work ethic.

Through the QB process I've really liked JJ, I like both these guys but I also like pick #23. JJ has a ton of work to do in his overall game where I think Bo is much more refined. JJ might develop really quick but there is a lot of projection to that. His consistent accuracy isn't quite on Bo's level or his ability to throw different types of passes. They are both very athletic. Bo has a better build IMO.
Bo Nix’s description kinda sounds like Brock Purdy.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

witljon wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:40 am

That's a solid comp.

Purdy played a lot of football and it helped him in his transition to the NFL.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:11 am
witljon wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:40 am

That's a solid comp.

Purdy played a lot of football and it helped him in his transition to the NFL.
I bet Nix would be good with the 49ers 2023 roster.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:19 am

I think he'd be really good with the Vikings roster. Especially if they do like I say and take Graham Barton to finish building this Oline.

That's a deadly offense packaged up ready to go.

That means that there is no early round defender taken in the draft but it is what it is. Not gonna be perfect this year but the offense could hum.

They could take the rest of the draft and take special team and defensive swings.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:36 am

I think he'd be really good with the Vikings roster. Especially if they do like I say and take Graham Barton to finish building this Oline.

That means that there is no early round defender taken in the draft but it is what it is. Not gonna be perfect this year but the offense could hum.

They could take the rest of the draft and take special team and defensive swings.
He's be a suped up version of Bridgewater, who I liked.

And the mid rounds of the draft are deep in DL developmental guys. In the Froob mock we got Leonard Taylor from Miami with one of the 4th rd picks, who has 1st rd physical abilities, but has been a bit of a disappointment.
But could he hit his zenith under Flores?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:42 am
-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:36 am

He's be a suped up version of Bridgewater, who I liked.

And the mid rounds of the draft are deep in DL developmental guys. In the Froob mock we got Leonard Taylor from Miami with one of the 4th rd picks, who has 1st rd physical abilities, but has been a bit of a disappointment.
But could he hit his zenith under Flores?
I haven't see him yet, I'll check it out tonight. I been looking at big boards to see who might be there.

As an organization the Vikings have done well drafting Dlineman in this range.

I really really like Byron Murphy but I think you have to take him at #11. If he fell to 23 that would be something. The only reason he would fall IMO is if teams don't like his overall length and wingspan. But that's a lot of teams to pass on the consensus #1 DT who isn't one dimensional.
Last edited by -VikingsTw- on Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Bo Nix looks like Drew Brees to me. That's a heavy comparison but it's what I see with the accuracy and weird enough their arms look the same. Nix is way more athletic.

It's gonna be real interesting to see how this QB ranking takes shape over the years. I can't quite quantify why Nix is so slept on.
witljon

Post by witljon »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:53 am I can't quite quantify why Nix is so slept on.
Maybe because of how deep this years QB class is.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:53 am Bo Nix looks like Drew Brees to me. That's a heavy comparison but it's what I see with the accuracy and weird enough their arms look the same. Nix is way more athletic.

It's gonna be real interesting to see how this QB ranking takes shape over the years. I can't quite quantify why Nix is so slept on.
No doubt about it… The kid can spin it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master