Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Viking Free Agent Grades

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Viking Free Agent Grades

Post by mlhouse »

Jonathan Greenard Edge From Houston

Greenard is a former 3rd round draft pick by the Texans and had a solid 2023 campaign with 12.5 sacks and 52 tackles coming back from an injury season in 2022. Greenard is a rangy type of edge player that has the hip flex to drop down and under the offensive tackle. High motor on the field. One of the biggest problems for Greenard as a football player has been avoiding injuries. One thing, I would have loved to have kept Hunter and paired him with an edge guy like Greenard.

Salary Details: 4 years $76 million. $38 million guaranteed at signing. I think the signing is a bit high with guaranteed money.
Grade: B

Sam Darnold QB From San Fransisco

Darnold is a former 3rd overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft and a guy that has some QB talent. But in his 7th season in the NFL he is now on his fourth team and has not put together a real solid season as a starter at the Sunday level. In three seasons with the Jets he had a 13-25 record with sub 60% completion percentage, 3.2% INT rate, and 6.6 yards per passing attempt, all substandard measures. He moved to Carolina in a trade when the Jets drafted bust Zack Wilson, but is tenure in Carolina was almost the same. The Panthers exercised his 5th year option at $18.9 million in 2022 only to see Darnold lose the starting job to Baker Mayfield (the player selected #1in the 2018 draft) only seeing action n the final 6 games of a lost Panther season and then moving to San Fransisco as the backup QB in 2023 (He started 1 game at the end of the 2023 season and put up his career statistics in that game).

Now he moves to Minnesota as the apparent #1 on the beginning of the season depth chart and perhaps as the bridge to a franchise rookie QB in the 2024 season (the Niners seemingly preferring Josh Dobbs). Is this a situation that the 27 year old can finally thrive in? He has the receivers and a head coach that at least has demonstrated he is a coach who is solidly supports his players. The dichotomy of Sam Darnold exists: he was a highly recruited HS player and 3rd overall pick for a reason and he has bounced around the league for a reason. Can he put it together? I am doubtful and while I think everyone is hopeful there is a reason his contract is only for a single season.

Contract Details: 1 year, $10 million $8.75 million guaranteed at signing. I think this is a bit rich given that Darnold on an incentive based $3.5 million contract.
Grade: C+

Blake Cashman LB From Houston

One of us. Former U of MN linebacker who put together some impressive workout numbers at the combine in 2019, Cashman put together a solid season for the playoff level Texans as their starting linebacker last season with 106 tackles and 2 sacks. I like his size and mobility which I think will play well in Brian Flores’ defensive scheme but he doesn’t have the reputation as the most physical linebacker out there.

Contract Details: 3 years, $22.5 million $9.475 million guaranteed at signing. This is a reasonable contract for someone with his 2023 production even though his overall career production is very thin.
Grade: B-

Aaron Jones RB From Green Bay

I have always loved Aaron Jones as a player and hated him because he was always seemed to make the plays that just killed us one way or the other (although in looking at his game logs, we were lucky to miss him a good third of his career games against Minnesota). A career 5.0 yards per carry guy and a solid receiver who has averaged who caught more than 45 passes in 4 of his 7 seasons, he has been very productive. Another thing to keep in mind, although he has been banged up here and there, he has been rotated with AJ Dillon or Jamaal Williams most of his career as a starter which has taking some of the wear and tear off him. But the question remains how much does he have left in his tank as a 30 year old running back. But, Jones will bring a productive backfield starter for the Vikings and some of the load will be shared by Ty Chandler, at least in the Vikes plan. I am also hoping that Jones will be able to revive the moribund RB screen game next season because he was a solid screen receiver in Green Bay.

Contract Details: 1 year, $7 million fully guaranteed at signing. (Spotrac has an error in their contract information, listing his roster bonus as $550,000 when it should be $850,000).
Grade: A- because I do think Jones still has fuel in his tank and can help any team in the NFL as a runner and receiver.

Andrew Van Ginkel Edge/LB From Miami

Almost one of us, but you can tell he is from Iowa because of his greasy long hair. I am surprised we did not sign Van Ginkel last season as a free agent because he was a performer in Flores’ Miami defense, in fact a 5th round draft pick in Flores’ first draft as Miami’s head coach. Van Ginkel rewarded the Dolphins in resignging him with a solid season, 69 tackles and 6 sacks on just 66% of the defensive snaps for just a contract value of $2.650 million. Now moving to Minnesota, Van Ginkel is a guy Flores can play all over the field and mix and match where he lines up and what he does in the defense. He is like Kyle Van Noy, a solid performer in New England and Miami (and Baltimore last season) that executes the role he is designed to play either rushng the passer, in coverage, or against the run. The Vikings have really solidified their Edge/LB group to add to last year’s rookie surprise Ivan Pace, especially when you consider the versatility that this group has.

Contract Details: 2 years, $20 million $10 million guaranteed at signing.
Grade: A except it was a year too late.

Jerry Tillery DT From Las Vegas

I have never been a great fan of Jerry Tillery since he was what I considered way overdrafted in the 2019 draft (first round, 28th overall). I guess I cannot hold it against a guy for what other’s expectations were of him, but I see him as an average NFL rotational defensive lineman that is mostly a dime a dozen. After a poor rookie season , Tillery started 26 games in his next two seasons and put up 7.5 sacks, which for an inside d lineman isn’t terrible statistical producitons. But, midway through his 4th season he was released by Bandon Staley. There was some issues on Tillery’s part with his playing time, and with the team because he had taken “personal time” in the middle of the practice week which probably led to his release. I see him as a rotational interior defensive lineman that will probably be used to replace Phillips/Bullard/etc in passing situations. I don’t think he has much upside, but probably was the type of player the Vikes needed to sign because of the dearth of draft picks they have in this upcoming draft. Last season the interior linemen only registered 5.0 sacks, 11 QB hits and very little pressure (to put in perspective, Josh Metellus has 2.5 sacks and 10 QB hits last season). If Tillery can upgrade the interior pressure of the defensive line it will be a reasonable move even though this is a low bar.

Salary details: One year, $2.750 million $1.470 million guaranteed at signing.
Grade: C

(I will list the other free agents as soon as their contract details become known).
mlhouse

Re: Viking Free Agent Grades

Post by mlhouse »

Shaquill Griffin CB From Carolina and Houston

The Vikings seem to be doing a concerted effort to replicate the Texans defense for 2024 but I think the erred on this signing.

First, Griffin is not the CB he was before he signed the big free agent contract, 3 years $40 million, with the Jaguars in 2021. He was a pro bowl level player for the Seahawks, being named to the Pro Bowl in 2019. But five games into his second season of that contract Griffin fractured his back and the Jags released him from his contract. He signed a much reduced contract for the 2023 season with the Texans for just $3.5 million only to be released mid season by a playoff team.

A handful of years ago this would have been an elite signing. Now it is questionable considering that the VIkings are paying him $4.550 million with $3.990 million fully guaranteed at signing with rumors. There are rumors that this deal could be worth $6 million, but that would mean incentives were met which isn't generally a bad thing. I do not see the reason to pay him more in 2024 than he earned in 2023 and then was cut midseason. But we don't know the particulars of the deal either.

But then, here is the real serious problem with the signing: it could cost us a 3rd round compensatory pick. When the Patriots signed KJ Osborn, that was the qualifying free agent the VIkings lost vs. 4 they had signed which would have almost certainly (there is uncertainty in forecasting comp picks) yielded 2 third round picks. But the Griffin signing added a qualifying free agent gain for the Vikings which cancels Danielle Hunter's comp pick. Some claim that this is the reason why Dalton Risner has not been signed since they hope some other team will sign him to add another free agent loss that will cancel out the Griffin signing. And, of the FA left, Risner is the only one that can.

If signing Griffin costs the Vikings a 3rd round comp pick it is a serious blunder.

Contract Details 1 year, $4.430 millin $3.990 million guaranteed at signing. Right now, there isn't any detail on the void years if any to spread the $2.4 million signing.

Grade: Blunder, F. They better hope someone signs Risner before 6/1 to a contract with enough APY to cancel out Griffin's gain and restore the 3rd round comp pick.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Trent Sherfield WR from Buffalo

I have to admit I really don't know much about Trent Sherfield. I have some vague memories of the guy, but he just seems to be a WR who blends in with other WRs. He has good size at 6-1 205. He has been in the league for 6 years coming in as a UDFA which means he has some talent to stay on NFL rosters. He has had as many as 30 receptions in a season, 2022 with the Dolphins and has been a starter for 10 NFL games. This is a veteran depth signing and a receiver every team should have on the depth chart.

Salary Details 1 year, $1,790 million. $1 million guaranteed at signing.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Jihad Ward DE from New York Giants

I kind of like this signing. Ward is an 8 year NFL veteran who was originally a 2nd round draft pick. WIth injuries and other issues, he really never put together a good season and bounced around the league. In 2023, however, he had a solid season for the Giants putting up 5 sacks on just 59% of the defensive sacks. He is a high effort guy with good sizebeign built like a truck and reasonable mobility for an edge player in Flores' system and at 285 he can conceivably move inside in passing situations.
Salary Details: Same exact contract as Sherfield.

Grade: B
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

I am pleased with what the Vikings have done in free agency thus far. I like the focus on the defensive side of the ball.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:52 pm Shaquill Griffin CB From Carolina and Houston

The Vikings seem to be doing a concerted effort to replicate the Texans defense for 2024 but I think the erred on this signing.

First, Griffin is not the CB he was before he signed the big free agent contract, 3 years $40 million, with the Jaguars in 2021. He was a pro bowl level player for the Seahawks, being named to the Pro Bowl in 2019. But five games into his second season of that contract Griffin fractured his back and the Jags released him from his contract. He signed a much reduced contract for the 2023 season with the Texans for just $3.5 million only to be released mid season by a playoff team.

A handful of years ago this would have been an elite signing. Now it is questionable considering that the VIkings are paying him $4.550 million with $3.990 million fully guaranteed at signing with rumors. There are rumors that this deal could be worth $6 million, but that would mean incentives were met which isn't generally a bad thing. I do not see the reason to pay him more in 2024 than he earned in 2023 and then was cut midseason. But we don't know the particulars of the deal either.

But then, here is the real serious problem with the signing: it could cost us a 3rd round compensatory pick. When the Patriots signed KJ Osborn, that was the qualifying free agent the VIkings lost vs. 4 they had signed which would have almost certainly (there is uncertainty in forecasting comp picks) yielded 2 third round picks. But the Griffin signing added a qualifying free agent gain for the Vikings which cancels Danielle Hunter's comp pick. Some claim that this is the reason why Dalton Risner has not been signed since they hope some other team will sign him to add another free agent loss that will cancel out the Griffin signing. And, of the FA left, Risner is the only one that can.

If signing Griffin costs the Vikings a 3rd round comp pick it is a serious blunder.

Contract Details 1 year, $4.430 millin $3.990 million guaranteed at signing. Right now, there isn't any detail on the void years if any to spread the $2.4 million signing.

Grade: Blunder, F. They better hope someone signs Risner before 6/1 to a contract with enough APY to cancel out Griffin's gain and restore the 3rd round comp pick.
Losing a comp pick for a flyer guy is an elite level blunder. They must feel he is all the way healed from his back injury. Idk… I’m with you on this one. Totally confused…

I think Greenard is an A level signing. They locked a double digit sack guy up entering his prime on a very reasonable contract. $19 million per is a small price to pay for a top 10 edge rusher now a day. Obviously, he will need to continue what he did last season to make it worthwhile, but his combination of pass rushing and ability to contain the run off the edge is invaluable.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:15 am
mlhouse wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:52 pm Shaquill Griffin CB From Carolina and Houston

Losing a comp pick for a flyer guy is an elite level blunder. They must feel he is all the way healed from his back injury. Idk… I’m with you on this one. Totally confused…

I think Greenard is an A level signing. They locked a double digit sack guy up entering his prime on a very reasonable contract. $19 million per is a small price to pay for a top 10 edge rusher now a day. Obviously, he will need to continue what he did last season to make it worthwhile, but his combination of pass rushing and ability to contain the run off the edge is invaluable.
Especially considering they could have just signed Xavien Howard and not had it count against them. Now I don't know exactly how Howard vs Griffen project for this year one to one, but either way we're talking over 30 year old guys signed to a one year deal, so neither is expected to be a long term solution.

Risner signing elsewhere soon though would eventually balance out Griffen, so it's also not inevitable that we will lose it.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:33 am
Small Hands wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:15 am

Especially considering they could have just signed Xavien Howard and not had it count against them. Now I don't know exactly how Howard vs Griffen project for this year one to one, but either way we're talking over 30 year old guys signed to a one year deal, so neither is expected to be a long term solution.

Risner signing elsewhere soon though would eventually balance out Griffen, so it's also not inevitable that we will lose it.
Seems like a bad risk to take for a guy who got released last season. WHo knows. One thing is coaches have "their players" and maybe Griffin is one of Flores.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Dan Feeney iOL from Chicago

Feeney was a guard I really liked out of Indian in the 2017 NFL draft were he was a 3rd round pick, 71st overall. I really liked his mobility and his ability to get to the 2nd level on blocks. His NFL career has not been as successful as I thought it would be although he started 57 games with the Chargers in his first 4 NFL seasons. He has experience at both the guard and center spot, and might be a better center than guard in the NFL since he struggled with holding penaties as a guard (7 in 2018 and 2019 as full time starter) but in 16 games as a center he wasn't called for any pentalites.

He is being signed as a backup center and offensive line depth, probably this year's version of Chris Reed. But a NFL team needs veteran offensive line depth.

Contract Details: 1 year, $1.8 million. $1,375,000 guaranteed at signing.

Grade: C You need to find inexpensive oLine dpeth.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Jonah Williams DL from LA Rams

Defensive lineman who has shown some tenacity in his career being waived several times by the Rams and was once signed by the Vikings off waivers but could not pass his physical. But he has stuck enough times with the Rams to finally be in a position to be the 2023 starting DE for 16 games last season and now has 22 career NFL starts. He was an UDFA from Weber St, home of future basketball HOF player Damian Lillard.

Williams has good length at 6-5 and is 275 lbs. IN 17 games last season he had 2 sacks and 49 tackles. He is an effort player that perhaps can slide inside in passing situations to improve the interior of the line. AS a depth signing, it is ok.

Contract Details: 1 year, $1.5 million. $350,000 guaranteed at signing.

Grade: C+ Low cost, low risk depth signing.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Current Cap Situation from SpotracL

$11, 534,820 available cap space

Add in apparent error on Darnold's contact (they have not allocated signing bonus to void years +$3.25 million

Less Kamu Grugier-Hill's net cap hit (still not allocated) estimated -500,000

Less rookie cap allocation estimated $7.687 million
Less any incremental dead cap from final roster cuts

Estimated Remaining cap: 6.5 - 7.5 million
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I want to hate the Cashman signing because I detest the MN obsessions with being "one of us". Is it really a pretty solid signing?
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm I want to hate the Cashman signing because I detest the MN obsessions with being "one of us". Is it really a pretty solid signing?
I think so. He wasn't signed because he was one of us, he was signed because of his projected fit into the defense. He is a speed guy and has good coverage skills. Should fit in with a reasonable cap hit and less than $10 million of his money guaranteed.

One thing about the Patriots system --- >>> Brian Flores system is their utilization of linebackers. They could take guys off the NFL garbage pile like failed Lions 2nd round pick Kyle Van Noy and make them into literally stud, but unrecognized, performers. Who was the LB coach the year Van Noy joined the Patriots? Brian Flores.

I think they have some of that magic with defensive linemen too. They find guys who have high IQ and can execute and make them solid players even if they weren't in the previous years of their career.

There are two things I worry about out D.

1. I doubt Flores is here long term. If we improve in 2024 on defense he will be a head coach somewhere (we will get consecutive 3rd round comp picks if he leaves for head coaching position) and I don't see anyone on this staff to provide continuity with the system.

2. If you push too much for system, if that system leaves your compentency level takes an immediate and significant drop.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

I like what the Vikes did in free agency. They got younger in areas on defense, and it will be fun to watch what Flores can do with these new guys. Aaron Jones will have a chip on his shoulder, I think he will have a solid season on a 1 year deal.
Norn_Iron

Post by Norn_Iron »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am
There are two things I worry about out D.

1. I doubt Flores is here long term. If we improve in 2024 on defense he will be a head coach somewhere (we will get consecutive 3rd round comp picks if he leaves for head coaching position) and I don't see anyone on this staff to provide continuity with the system.

2. If you push too much for system, if that system leaves your compentency level takes an immediate and significant drop.
I 100% agree with this, but im glad we are at least giving Flores something to work with.
To get Flores on board and keep on giving him scraps would be a total waste.

Plus, the offense is going to take a step back from last season overall (pre injury) so we are going to need the D to step up even more
Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
salamander

Post by salamander »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:01 pm Trent Sherfield WR from Buffalo

I have to admit I really don't know much about Trent Sherfield. I have some vague memories of the guy, but he just seems to be a WR who blends in with other WRs. He has good size at 6-1 205. He has been in the league for 6 years coming in as a UDFA which means he has some talent to stay on NFL rosters. He has had as many as 30 receptions in a season, 2022 with the Dolphins and has been a starter for 10 NFL games. This is a veteran depth signing and a receiver every team should have on the depth chart.

Salary Details 1 year, $1,790 million. $1 million guaranteed at signing.

I watch Bills games. The Bills signed him because for some reason he destroyed them.
One of those guys with all the measurables but can't put it together.

He's a really really good special teams player and that's likely all he'll be.

This is also the Butt Punt guy from 2022.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.