Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jaden McDaniels

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SHAFA

Re: Jaden McDaniels

Post by SHAFA »

BuDG123 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:39 am Image
What’s Leonard Miller doing in a Jaden McDaniels thread?
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

This month Jaden has had a few games of solid rebounding 8,8,7,6,5. It helps that Kat has been out and Rudy recently, but this is what I want to see Jaden do more consistently. He certainly needs to get more consistent with his 3, maybe little Jmac can teach him how to shoot it. But this rebounding is what we need to see out of him, get that 50-50 ball.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

hopefully seeing that three ball go in the other night in utah is the catalyst to jaden reverting to the mean on that shot. it'll take a few more games like last night to get there because of how deep that slump was. encouraging that he stayed pretty much out of foul trouble in these last two games as well. jaden hitting 40 plus percent from beyond the arc and being able to stay on the floor for 30 plus minutes is what the team needs from him with KAT's absence. 37 plus minutes last night and only two seconds behind Ant for the most minutes played. 26 points was a bonus--but there's no reason why he can't be averaging around 15 a game with that much time on the court. maybe more.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

agreed. Last night was more than what I expect out of Jaden. It was great considering the circumstances we were in - but once we are back at full strength, if he can play his D and scored 15-16 ppg on decent shooting and grab about 5 boards a game, we'll be good. I don't know what to expect actually. He looked so good last night - but has also recently looked so bad.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:25 am hopefully seeing that three ball go in the other night in utah is the catalyst to jaden reverting to the mean on that shot. it'll take a few more games like last night to get there because of how deep that slump was. encouraging that he stayed pretty much out of foul trouble in these last two games as well. jaden hitting 40 plus percent from beyond the arc and being able to stay on the floor for 30 plus minutes is what the team needs from him with KAT's absence. 37 plus minutes last night and only two seconds behind Ant for the most minutes played. 26 points was a bonus--but there's no reason why he can't be averaging around 15 a game with that much time on the court. maybe more.
Not sure if what I'm going to say makes sense or is a dumb take but I'm gonna power through with my observation regardless.

There was a possession last night in the 2nd half, instead of Jaden doing that exaggerated short-to-mid range fade away jump shot he often does, he elevated straight up. He missed the shot but was able to immediately follow his miss for an easy put back. I think if Jaden got into the habit of elevating straight up at that range, he'd have noticeably more success shooting percentage wise and also giving him the opportunity to follow his misses like he did on that play. Jaden has extreme length and very quick hops. He really should lean on those strengths more than he does.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:35 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:25 am hopefully seeing that three ball go in the other night in utah is the catalyst to jaden reverting to the mean on that shot. it'll take a few more games like last night to get there because of how deep that slump was. encouraging that he stayed pretty much out of foul trouble in these last two games as well. jaden hitting 40 plus percent from beyond the arc and being able to stay on the floor for 30 plus minutes is what the team needs from him with KAT's absence. 37 plus minutes last night and only two seconds behind Ant for the most minutes played. 26 points was a bonus--but there's no reason why he can't be averaging around 15 a game with that much time on the court. maybe more.
Not sure if what I'm going to say makes sense or is a dumb take but I'm gonna power through with my observation regardless.

There was a possession last night in the 2nd half, instead of Jaden doing that exaggerated short-to-mid range fade away jump shot he often does, he elevated straight up. He missed the shot but was able to immediately follow his miss for an easy put back. I think if Jaden got into the habit of elevating straight up at that range, he'd have noticeably more success shooting percentage wise and also giving him the opportunity to follow his misses like he did on that play. Jaden has extreme length and very quick hops. He really should lean on those strengths more than he does.
pretty hard to grab your miss on a fade away. last night's game was an anomaly and i'm not going to put much stock in it short-term because of all the missing pieces. but jaden was assertive on the offensive end. he's averaging one FT a game. yesterday he got to the line at least six times. i wish he would have made that FT on the potential four point play. big make with that foul. but is that how he's going to play when rudy and Naz get back? we'll just have to see.

what i have seen though is the potential long term look of this club without rudy and KAT down the road and it looks promising. Ant likes to play with more mobile players. Naz has shown he can thrive as a starter. you get jaden staying on the court and feeling confident with his shot and the younger version of the squad with a couple more years of seasoning could be contending for championships on a yearly basis. put nickeil and luka into the mix and it would be a good watch imo. there's other younger pieces that should be contributing too.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm going OT here because it kind of goes with the last paragraph in the above post.

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:24 am i'm going OT here because it kind of goes with the last paragraph in the above post.

Keep Luka and Naz, trade KAT!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Yep, I said something similar a while back. Jaden just needs to keep his offense simple right now. His biggest strength is finishing at the rim and inside 10ft. Continue to shoot open threes, straight line drives to the basket while mixing in some cutting. Absolutely avoid trying to break down his guy one-on-one and he's actually pretty terrible in the open court. Give the ball up in those situations and fill a lane instead.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:40 am

Yep, I said something similar a while back. Jaden just needs to keep his offense simple right now. His biggest strength is finishing at the rim and inside 10ft. Continue to shoot open threes, straight line drives to the basket while mixing in some cutting. Absolutely avoid trying to break down his guy one-on-one and he's actually pretty terrible in the open court. Give the ball up in those situations and fill a lane instead.
He can finish in the open court off someone else’s pass pretty well, but he’s a disaster with the ball in his hands.

It seems like he understands angles and spacing pretty well without the ball. How can he be so bad at it with the ball?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:43 am
A$$MAN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:40 am

He can finish in the open court off someone else’s pass pretty well, but he’s a disaster with the ball in his hands.

It seems like he understands angles and spacing pretty well without the ball. How can he be so bad at it with the ball?
I think it's just his decision making right now. He doesn't know when to pass or shoot which is why he's so much better without the ball in his hands. He seems to have a lot of turnovers trying to "create" for others. Let someone else dictate what should happen and let him focus on scoring.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jaden with another solid game tonight--most of his work in the second half. 15 points, three steals, two blocks and a plus 15 on the court. but it hasn't been a great year for the young man.

brittrobson
@brittrobson
Column tease: This is the first season of McDaniels' career where the Wolves allow fewer points
per possession with him off the court than with him on it.

Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:41 pm jaden with another solid game tonight--most of his work in the second half. 15 points, three steals, two blocks and a plus 15 on the court. but it hasn't been a great year for the young man.

brittrobson
@brittrobson
Column tease: This is the first season of McDaniels' career where the Wolves allow fewer points

Kind of a BS stat, no? There’s a reason why the team gives up more points when he’s on the court. He’s on the court when the opposing team’s best players are on the court. When they sit, he sits. For the most part.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:54 pm
weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:41 pm jaden with another solid game tonight--most of his work in the second half. 15 points, three steals, two blocks and a plus 15 on the court. but it hasn't been a great year for the young man.

brittrobson
@brittrobson

Kind of a BS stat, no? There’s a reason why the team gives up more points when he’s on the court. He’s on the court when the opposing team’s best players are on the court. When they sit, he sits. For the most part.
I’ve always disliked +/-
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

brittrobson
@brittrobson

it's a teaser and he makes the point that you make. it's a fair article putting out the numbers--while pointing out how important he could be in a playoff push. this is how he ends it.

And despite what has been a relatively lackluster season thus far, McDaniels is vital to the mix. The rocking chair is at the ready. So is the fierce competitor who will, for better or worse, raise his intensity in the postseason. If he can knock down a few more threes, get out in transition and perform overall at the level he did on Tuesday night, the Wolves will be even more stingy at the time of year when it matters most.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 pm

brittrobson
@brittrobson

it's a teaser and he makes the point that you make. it's a fair article putting out the numbers--while pointing out how important he could be in a playoff push. this is how he ends it.

And despite what has been a relatively lackluster season thus far, McDaniels is vital to the mix. The rocking chair is at the ready. So is the fierce competitor who will, for better or worse, raise his intensity in the postseason. If he can knock down a few more threes, get out in transition and perform overall at the level he did on Tuesday night, the Wolves will be even more stingy at the time of year when it matters most.
And he’s getting more reps in big games. Gaining experience while going through growing pains. Naz Reid wasn’t always this version of Naz Reid. Players improve and I think Jaden will.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:15 pm
weimy froob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 pm

And he’s getting more reps in big games. Gaining experience while going through growing pains. Naz Reid wasn’t always this version of Naz Reid. Players improve and I think Jaden will.
he's going to have that open three late in games and if he can hit that shot the wolves will be in real good shape. i think/hope he's on his way to reverting to the mean after that real bad stretch. last two games have been promising. OT i like how Naz hit that corner three in the 4th tonight too. that's what i'm talking about.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

britt robson has incisive articles on the wolves. this is another good one. he's got all the numbers for the season as well as the "barometer" information from finch. but if i'm going to the simplified analysis i think that the key to jaden's effectiveness is staying out of foul trouble. he's done that the last two games and he's been a factor.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

He’s guarding the best of the best on defense.

If he can lower the fouls where he just puts an arm on someone or fouls after the offensive player passes him, that would be huge.

Offensively if he can be more efficient by not dribbling into traffic, entering the paint with a purpose, and being a 3 point shooting threat enough to create space that’s the Jaden that will take them to the promise land.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

McDaniels' last 4 games...
17.3 points
48% from 3
68% from 2
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

hit his average again last night.

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
With Jamal Murray not playing tonight, the Wolves had Jaden McDaniels, who normally guards Murray, on Michael Porter Jr. -- so we got the rare off-ball Jaden game.

Asked Finch what he thinks about McDaniels in that role:

"He’s really good. He’s like one of the best low-man, rim-protecting wings in the league when he is off the ball. That’s not also accounting for being able to blow stuff up and fight through actions and use his length off the ball. He’s such a versatile weapon offensively. We do deploy him 90 percent of the time on the ball, but it’s a luxury when we have Anthony, too, being able to put on the ball. Something we’re going to have to do more and more of, particularly as the playoffs ramp up here."
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I’m all in on trading this fucker this offseason.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

2 rebounds tonight, denver's wings had 8 O rebs.
1-4 from 3, and I know all 3 were completely wide open.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

started out well tonight and faded.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 pm 2 rebounds tonight, denver's wings had 8 O rebs.
1-4 from 3, and I know all 3 were completely wide open.
The inconsistency offensively is maddening... weak rebounder too... definitely should never get viewed as a 4.

Still think he's a huge part of the team going forward on the defensive end.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the inconsistency is consistent. I never go into a game thinking I know what we'll get out of Jaden that night. which - yeah - is going to be a problem for a $28M/yr player. Still feel like KAT will be the one traded this summer - but savings could be had as well if we moved Jaden instead.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Would not be for moving off of him until we see what he looks like next year. He's had a down year, no question. I'd like to see if he can bounce back. Nickeil on the other hand has been far more valuable and consistent from both ends of the floor. His stock continues to rise.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

McDaniels reminds me SO MUCH of Wiggins.

-Nonchalant, laid back/lazy demeanor.

-Poor handles

-Below average rebounder

-Good/great defender

-Inconsistent offensive production

-Overpaid

AAAAAaaaand perhaps even…..sleepy?
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

Believe it was before the Gobert trade i said we need to trade Jaden. That his scared offensive accumen would be a crutch. A literal beta offensive player. It was cute and fine while he was cheap. But not anymore. Back then i woulda been fine packaging both Towns and Jaden for an ELITE #1 or #1A guy to go with Ant. I still hold that same notion.