Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Blazers @ Timberwolves GDT 4 Mar Offiicial***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Beef Supreme

Re: ***Official Blazers @ Timberwolves GDT 4 Mar Offiicial***

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:44 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:14 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:05 pm if there's anxiety about the team, IMO it's totally understandable. We've been the dogshit stuck to the bottom of the NBA's Nikes for decades - so that when it looks like we DO have something significant, there's a legitimate fear that we may blow it - and go right back to the sole of the shoe. The fan base recognizes how unusual this is.
What does “blow it” mean? Not have the #1 seed? Not winning the NBA championship?

What are the expectations to not consider this season “blown?”
ah come on. you know what i'm talking about. long time fans have scar tissue.
Sure we do. That’s why I’m asking the question. Let’s get it out there. What do you reasonably expect?

I’m pretty sure they will not win the title. They might, but it’s a longshot. I have a feeling this team needs to get a taste of playoff success by winning a round or two and then get the door slammed in their face to develop the mental toughness it needs to potentially win a championship down the road.

So if winning one this year is the bar, then prepare for disappointment.

I’m going to look at it as a step forward from where we were.

Unless we go quietly in round 1 or something. That would be disappointing.
Last edited by Beef Supreme on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

I'll take my chances as well if they are playing their best basketball. But that's the problem...they are not and are moving in the wrong direction. This team in December was much better than the team were watching right now. Not sure why that's a problem to acknowledge that?
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

A$$MAN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:08 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:34 am
Stork311 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:03 am Could you imagine the amount of bridge jumping and "woe is me talk" if the Wolves, along with OKC, weren't the surprise of the NBA this year?

Just think if the season wasn't three quarters over with the second best record in the NBA?

I get it....our rich history of seasons like this makes it a yawn, that this fan base has been blessed like the 2000 to 2020 Patriots.

Lighten up people, only one team in the entire league would change records with the Timberwolves. Things are just fine.

Take the win. Enjoy the victory.
If 'sending out positive or negative vibes' is a thing...this franchise is absolutely fucked. We have to be the most negative fan base in the league. We've been the top team in the West for most of the season and yet many of the fans are certain that it's all smoke and mirrors.

I look at this squad playing as well as they have been all year as a team that still hasn't reached their potential. If they manage to come close in doing so, they're going to win the Championship.
You seriously think they have been playing as well now as they were earlier in the year? Sorry, but that is wrong. This team has shown serious signs of regressing since the start of 2024. You need only look at their clutch time stats for evidence.

Can you honestly say your impressed with how they've been playing?
I didn't say they are currently playing as well now as they were earlier in the year. There are obvious things that need to get unfucked. I am not impressed with the way they've been playing recently.

I'm saying that the season is long. Aside from Boston, every playoff team has gone through what the Wolves have gone through or worse. I get frustrated when they lose in the regular season just like everyone else does but I'm extremely positive about this season and plan on staying that way until the final game of the year. They've proven they can beat any team in the league. They've also proven that they can beat most teams in the league, even on nights that they're not running on all cylinders. They've also proven that they can shit the bed from time to time.

I'm predicting a Championship this year and I'm not backing off that simply because they're currently not playing their best ball.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:23 pm

What does “blow it” mean? Not have the #1 seed? Not winning the NBA championship?

Sure we do. That’s why I’m asking the question. Let’s get it out there. What do you reasonably expect?

I’m pretty sure they will not win the title. They might, but it’s a longshot. I have a feeling this team needs to get a taste of playoff success by winning a round or two and then get the door slammed in their face to develop the mental toughness it needs to potentially win a championship down the road.

i said that a first round playoff win is my expectation/hope. everything else after that would be gravy. but if they do do that--i might then get greedy.

a quiet first round loss would be disheartening.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

A$$MAN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 pm I'll take my chances as well if they are playing their best basketball. But that's the problem...they are not and are moving in the wrong direction. This team in December was much better than the team were watching right now. Not sure why that's a problem to acknowledge that?
the stretch of games on the road before the all-star break had my optimism meter at it's highest. this homestand was disappointing. they never had a really good game for four quarters in any of the seven. still they could've beaten the kings and the clippers while giving up all those relatively easy baskets to both teams and getting none themselves. there are ebbs and flows to the long season. playing at a high level when the playoffs start is all that really matters.

don't go belly up in these last 20 games though. and no one get injured.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

All I want is for them to recognize the moment and give it their all. We have a really nice team, but there's no guarantee for the future, right? I won't bother you with the negative what ifs - but you can go thru the league and see teams in the ditch, that had one thing or another happen to them that upended their hopes. And I'm not talking only about once great teams on the skids like the Dubs or the Lakers. The Celts and the Sixers keep hitting roadblocks too. Only one team wins - and next year, despite predictions, our roster might have more glitches than it does now.

i want our team to recognize that they are in a great spot - so i want them to show up. Son of Yum went to the game last night - he's a good observer and often sets me straight on bad takes of mine - anyway, we talked a little about Karl and Ant's struggles last night - and about how others had stepped up. And then I asked him how Jaden did - and his answer was "um, i don't really remember seeing Jaden". I want our team to be present and accounted for. None of these disappearing acts where you wonder where they are. If they are present and play hard and smart and do their best, I really don't care about the outcome. Honest.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:24 pm

All I want is for them to recognize the moment and give it their all. We have a really nice team, but there's no guarantee for the future, right? I won't bother you with the negative what ifs - but you can go thru the league and see teams in the ditch, that had one thing or another happen to them that upended their hopes. And I'm not talking only about once great teams on the skids like the Dubs or the Lakers. The Celts and the Sixers keep hitting roadblocks too. Only one team wins - and next year, despite predictions, our roster might have more glitches than it does now.

i want our team to recognize that they are in a great spot - so i want them to show up. Son of Yum went to the game last night - he's a good observer and often sets me straight on bad takes of mine - anyway, we talked a little about Karl and Ant's struggles last night - and about how others had stepped up. And then I asked him how Jaden did - and his answer was "um, i don't really remember seeing Jaden". I want our team to be present and accounted for. None of these disappearing acts where you wonder where they are. If they are present and play hard and smart and do their best, I really don't care about the outcome. Honest.
Sure. But these moments are regular season doldrums. This is the NBA. Look around. You think the Pacers played with fire and intensity when they lost to the Spurs the other day?

It would be nice if NBA teams played with playoff focus for 48 minutes and 82 games, but that just isn’t reality. If that’s your expectation, again: prepare for disappointment.

- Isaac Asimov
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Seriously not worried. I want them at their best come playoffs...not now. As long as they hang on maintain home court, I don't care what they are or are not doing now. Hopefully they are going to right their ship and sail away into at least the confrence finals.
My heart is family.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Catalyst wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:03 pm Seriously not worried. I want them at their best come playoffs...not now. As long as they hang on maintain home court, I don't care what they are or are not doing now. Hopefully they are going to right their ship and sail away into at least the confrence finals.
Yep.

Ebbs and flows. So long as we’re flowing with the playoffs start, we’ll be okay. Probably not winning the title okay, but okay.

And winning the title is not a ridiculous proposition for only the 2nd time in our history.

I’m bullish on the team and enjoying myself. No anxiety. This is fun.

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:19 pm
Catalyst wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:03 pm Seriously not worried. I want them at their best come playoffs...not now. As long as they hang on maintain home court, I don't care what they are or are not doing now. Hopefully they are going to right their ship and sail away into at least the confrence finals.
Yep.

Ebbs and flows. So long as we’re flowing with the playoffs start, we’ll be okay. Probably not winning the title okay, but okay.

And winning the title is not a ridiculous proposition for only the 2nd time in our history.

I'm extremely positive but absolutely riddled with anxiety when I watch the games.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:05 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:19 pm
Yep.

I'm extremely positive but absolutely riddled with anxiety when I watch the games.
Don’t worry
About a thing
Every little thing
A-gonna be alright

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

BBG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 am Where would the Wolves be without Rudy?
I remember some calling it the worst trade in sports history.
BBG

Post by BBG »

witljon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:58 pm
Many said, why trade for Rudy when Kessler is just as good.

I'm over all of that worst trade ever crap because the Wolves have to at least win a playoff series for me to feel good about it.

There's a lot of work left to do
witljon

Post by witljon »

BBG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:05 pm
witljon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:58 pm
Many said, why trade for Rudy when Kessler is just as good.

I'm over all of that worst trade ever crap because the Wolves have to at least win a playoff series for me to feel good about it.

There's a lot of work left to do
I guess I was referring to the national media.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

These two things most likely cannot coincide.

If they aren't good, then you're hoping the rest of the league is no good.

They have a minimal lead in the west, so in order to maintain home court, they're going to have to be close to their best. Well, unless the entire west goes in the tank as well.
My body, my choice.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Everybody needs to chill out. 3rd game in 4 nights , of course they are going to look sluggish.

We would have won against Sac if Ant hadn’t been called away. Clippers could have went either way. Nice to get
some rest and see what we look like against a good Indiana team.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Yeah, but you also need to consider that these were all home games with no travel involved. Not sure you can use 3 games in 4 nights as an excuse for their lack of effort.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Success: NBA Champions
Failure: Everything else

Moral Victory: Western Conference Champions
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:41 pm Yeah, but you also need to consider that these were all home games with no travel involved. Not sure you can use 3 games in 4 nights as an excuse for their lack of effort.
Still 3 games in 4 nights. It’s a grind.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:57 pm
A$$MAN wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 pm I'll take my chances as well if they are playing their best basketball. But that's the problem...they are not and are moving in the wrong direction. This team in December was much better than the team were watching right now. Not sure why that's a problem to acknowledge that?
the stretch of games on the road before the all-star break had my optimism meter at it's highest. this homestand was disappointing. they never had a really good game for four quarters in any of the seven. still they could've beaten the kings and the clippers while giving up all those relatively easy baskets to both teams and getting none themselves. there are ebbs and flows to the long season. playing at a high level when the playoffs start is all that really matters.

don't go belly up in these last 20 games though. and no one get injured.
change that to no one else get injured now.