Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Combine 2024***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: ***NFL Combine 2024***

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:50 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:46 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:42 pm

Maybe, but we also say that every year.
Last year it was "there's no way Will Levis will fall to us with Sea, LV, Atl, TN, Det, Wash, NE, TB all in front of us."
i was never in on levis so that isn't a good comparison for me. i wanted richardson.
Richardson was already gone quickly, so I only use Levis in this case as next best available with a possible 1st rd expectation.
There was no one who pounded the table more for Levis then I did last year. With that said and actually watching him play for Tennessee, I much rather take JJ who I’m not all that high on. Easy to say once you’ve seen them play in the NFL though. I might be saying the opposite when I see JJ play.

Levi’s gives me those vibes of a guy who is going to have some big games and show you just enough that you get tricked into going with him until you realize he isn’t it. Hard to tell though as the offense in Tenn is atrocious and has virtually no skill players other than an old Deandre Hopkins and an old King Henry. The guy we get here has no excuse not to succeed with our weapons.

And yes, I wanted Richardson over Levis but I never thought we had a shot at Richardson with our draft situation last year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:42 pm

Maybe, but we also say that every year.
Last year it was "there's no way Will Levis will fall to us with Sea, LV, Atl, TN, Det, Wash, NE, TB all in front of us."
i was never in on levis so that isn't a good comparison for me. i wanted richardson.
Richardson was already gone quickly, so I only use Levis in this case as next best available with a possible 1st rd expectation.
eventually you have to set aside "analytics", "value" and make a call based on "talent". that's what they pay these guys for. if the parts are all pretty much interchangeable than you can play it safe and see how it all plays out in front of you. if you see a big differential on the upside then you might have to do something different. again i go back to the point i made earlier. i've got JJ as the number one QB in the 2025 draft--and maybe the #1 pick overall. you ready to let that type of talent slide on by when you can do something about it? if he is that, he's well worth moving up to make sure you get.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:54 pm

There was no one who pounded the table more for Levis then I did last year. With that said and actually watching him play for Tennessee, I much rather take JJ who I’m not all that high on. Easy to say once you’ve seen them play in the NFL though. I might be saying the opposite when I see JJ play.

Levi’s gives me those vibes of a guy who is going to have some big games and show you just enough that you get tricked into going with him until you realize he isn’t it. Hard to tell though as the offense in Tenn is atrocious and has virtually no skill players other than an old Deandre Hopkins and an old King Henry. The guy we get here has no excuse not to succeed with our weapons.

And yes, I wanted Richardson over Levis but I never thought we had a shot at Richardson with our draft situation last year.
But we could have had Levis for free last year.
To catch you up to speed, many on here think all 4 of the top QBs could go in the top 5 this year, meaning we'd have to pay pretty handsomely to go up and get one.

So, which is the better value is the point I'm trying to ask?
Everyone is flawed, so how much are people willing to pay to get a guy that is slightly less flawed?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:59 pm

eventually you have to set aside "analytics", "value" and make a call based on "talent". that's what they pay these guys for. if the parts are all pretty much interchangeable than you can play it safe and see how it all plays out in front of you. if you see a big differential on the upside then you might have to do something different. again i go back to the point i made earlier. i've got JJ as the number one QB in the 2025 draft--and maybe the #1 pick overall. you ready to let that type of talent slide on by when you can do something about it? if he is that, he's well worth moving up to make sure you get.
Just because he’s the #1 pick in a year of shitty QBs doesn’t mean much. You are kind of contradicting yourself when you are harping about making a call based on “Value” just to say he could be the #1 pick next year in a year where it’s very underwhelming at the QB position.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:02 pm

To catch you up to speed, many on here think all 4 of the top QBs could go in the top 5 this year, meaning we'd have to pay pretty handsomely to go up and get one.

Everyone is flawed, so how much are people willing to pay to get a guy that is slightly less flawed?
I’m willing to trade up into the top 3 for any of the top 3. I’m willing to take JJ at #11 and I think it’s 50/50 that even pans out but I’m willing to take a shot on him with the other guys who are probably available at that selection.

Trading into the top 5 for JJ though? FUCK NO.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 pm

Just because he’s the #1 pick in a year of shitty QBs doesn’t mean much. You are kind of contradicting yourself when you are harping about making a call based on “Value” just to say he could be the #1 pick next year in a year where it’s very underwhelming at the QB position.
i'm basing that on talent. you can say value too--based on where he could go. but i'm going on talent--if that's what they see. there's still more evaluation to go and a pro day--but that's what they pay these guys for. to do some strategic thinking based on what they see and what they project. there's a reason why he's solidified his place in the draft. the guy has a cannon arm, good foot work and is mobile. he just might be the next big thing--even though he's only 20 years old.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm

I’m willing to trade up into the top 3 for any of the top 3. I’m willing to take JJ at #11 and I think it’s 50/50 that even pans out but I’m willing to take a shot on him with the other guys who are probably available at that selection.

the proposal to get there was their second this year and second next year along with 11. do you think that is too much to get the QB you covet? if they covet him. i don't.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

It’s there going to be that much of a difference between Penix and JJ?

Is it better value to get Penix in rd #2 and draft defense in rd #1? I rather go that route if it could work out and no trade ups even had to be made.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sure, and that would be worth moving up for.

However, we've also heard that before.
Leinart, Barkley, Darnold, Rattler, Boyd, Locker, Howell just off the top of my head.

Everyone kept pushing off QBs in the 2022 draft because 2023 was supposed to be so epically deep with Young, Stroud, Levis, Van Dyke, Armstrong, Rattler, Jurkovich, Slovis, and that ended up being a huge bust.

Heck, even Trevor Lawrence has been pretty underwhelming, all things considered.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:10 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm

the proposal to get there was their second this year and second next year along with 11. do you think that is too much to get the QB you covet? if they covet him. i don't.
It’s definitely worth it for the right guy. I’m not giving that up for JJ though. Every year there is some QB overhyped based on his potential and nothing we’ve actually seen him accomplish and that’s JJ this year. Sometimes this works out and the guy reaches that envisioned potential but it’s rare. It’s enough of a reach to take him at #11, I’m not trading higher to get him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:11 pm It’s there going to be that much of a difference between Penix and JJ?

Is it better value to get Penix in rd #2 and draft defense in rd #1? I rather go that route if it could work out and no trade ups even had to be made.
it's all based on how they have these guys rated. if they're pretty much interchangeable in their minds you can sit back and see how it all plays out. you still might end up taking a QB at 11 though.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:08 pm

i'm basing that on talent. you can say value too--based on where he could go. but i'm going on talent--if that's what they see. there's still more evaluation to go and a pro day--but that's what they pay these guys for. to do some strategic thinking based on what they see and what they project. there's a reason why he's solidified his place in the draft. the guy has a cannon arm, good foot work and is mobile. he just might be the next big thing--even though he's only 20 years old.
I appreciate you taking a stand on one guy, but all they technically said was that he has solidified himself as a first round pick.

**EDIT**: To clarify, the "they" I reference is the article you posted on the previous page.
Last edited by Oriole81 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:14 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:11 pm It’s there going to be that much of a difference between Penix and JJ?

it's all based on how they have these guys rated. if they're pretty much interchangeable in their minds you can sit back and see how it all plays out. you still might end up taking a QB at 11 though.
I’m all for trading the farm for the right shot at a guy, it’s the only thing that matters for me with this team right now. But trading a bunch of picks when this team has as many problems as it does for a tier 2 QB prospect in this draft isn’t a good idea imo. If you are going to throw away future picks, make it count on one of the top 3 IF you can find a team who wants to trade out.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:15 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:08 pm

I appreciate you taking a stand on one guy, but all they technically said was that he has solidified himself as a first round pick.
i'm basing this on how they hypothetically might be looking at it. they very well might be looking at it a whole different way. i like his arm strength and the intangibles--but that's a view from the peanut gallery. but when the vikings might be taking a bite at the QB apple i certainly want them to get it right. i'm not all that keen on the idea that gets floated around here that if they bust they just need to try again. i want them to get it right the first time. that could mean moving up. it could mean staying put. it could mean coming back into the draft later in the first/early second.