Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Chip Kelly leaving UCLA...Bye-bye Fleck?

Home for Gopher football topics
feekdogg

Chip Kelly leaving UCLA...Bye-bye Fleck?

Post by feekdogg »

Sounds like PJ is on the list of possible candidates. Now whether this is his agent floating his name, or legitimate, that's the question.
Bob Wiley

Re: Chip Kelly leaving UCLA...Bye-bye Fleck?

Post by Bob Wiley »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:14 pm Sounds like PJ is on the list of possible candidates. Now whether this is his agent floating his name, or legitimate, that's the question.
What could PJ have accomplished that would give UCLA even a thought about hiring him?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:53 pm
feekdogg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:14 pm Sounds like PJ is on the list of possible candidates. Now whether this is his agent floating his name, or legitimate, that's the question.
What could PJ have accomplished that would give UCLA even a thought about hiring him?
That's why I'm leaning toward his agent trying to get him more money.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

A Head Coach leaving said position for a lesser role ( Offensive Coordinator) at Ohio State tells me more about the Administration viewpoint of Athletics at UCLA than it does about Fleck being a candidate.

IMO, the UCLA Administration doesn't emphasize football. I suspect they value basketball more. I have nothing to confirm my suspicisons.

UCLA along with Northwestern and Washington and Boston College (all based upon a large metro area given his (Flecks) introduction speech) would be why he leaves. However, the Gophers just signed Coyle to a 2 year contract extension. Which typically the AD and Head Football Coach are connected.

We will see, Fleck's opening speech when he accepted the Gopher job was "his dream was to be a B1G head coach" and he has repeatedly said "Minnesota is home for me and my family" So we will see.

Some Rig called RJ Moore posted on Twitter the top 5 candidates and PJ wasn't in the Top 5. Take that for whatever it is worth.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Every coach's opening press conference is 90% bullshit.
If he is actually offered the job and takes it (I'd be awful surprised), it has way more to do with him being frustrated/run down because the sledding here has been much tougher than he thought it was going to be. His public persona has definitely changed recently.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Regarding UCLA, Northwestern, Washington and Boston College being in large metro areas so is Minnesota.

Honestly unless the wife hates MN and/or just wants to live in LA and pushes him to leave, I don't see it happening. UCLA football the past decade has about as many wins, ranked seasons and bowl wins as Minnesota.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Posted elsewhere fwiw:

Fleck ranks around 12th in compensation in the B1G (of 18). You want a top 5 team? You have to pay for that. And this also brings money for assistants who are really underpaid. It was assumed Rossi got a $250k raise to go to MSU.

Keeping up with the Jones’s is hard.