Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Carried Interest Loophole on yore Hedge Funds

BuDG123

Carried Interest Loophole on yore Hedge Funds

Post by BuDG123 »

I know many of you are hedge fund managers, venture capitalists or a partner in a private equity firm.

Do you guys use this long standing tax break tool? It brings your effective tax rate down from like 48% all the way down to only 20%. If you are not using this loophole this tax season, you are pissing way your hard earned cash. This loophole has been a core tenant for campaign contributions on both sides of the isles for decades, and is why the rich will always get richer. It is a known loophole that will never go away no matter who is elected. The last 8 presidential candidates specifically said they would do away with it, but somehow, it prevails! Use it to your advantage. Carry that compounded interest, buy some rare art! (Once you are over the hurdle)
rubechick

Re: Carried Interest Loophole on yore Hedge Funds

Post by rubechick »

No, but I give my tax guy the receipts for my license tabs. Hope that helps.
Spoiler:
Voltron

Post by Voltron »

I plan to start a hedge fund soon so thank you for this information.
FOR THE CULTURE!!!!
Spoiler:
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

Voltron wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 am I plan to start a hedge fund soon so thank you for this information.
You could run it from your tractor while it is on autopilot.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Voltron

Post by Voltron »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 am
Voltron wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 am I plan to start a hedge fund soon so thank you for this information.
You could run it from your tractor while it is on autopilot.
Or even during a Vegas trip
FOR THE CULTURE!!!!
Spoiler:
anthony

Post by anthony »

rubechick wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:27 am No, but I give my tax guy the receipts for my license tabs. Hope that helps.
You itemize?
rubechick

Post by rubechick »

anthony wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 am
rubechick wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:27 am No, but I give my tax guy the receipts for my license tabs. Hope that helps.
You itemize?
Probably not, but I add them to the tax guy folder regardless. It looks like he did tally it up, but ended up using the standard deduction this year.
Spoiler:
anthony

Post by anthony »

rubechick wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:13 am
You itemize?
Probably not, but I add them to the tax guy folder regardless. It looks like he did tally it up, but ended up using the standard deduction this year.
That’s good to hear. I don’t have the energy to organize receipts like that….
rubechick

Post by rubechick »

anthony wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:15 am

You itemize?
Those are easy - when I pay them during the year, I just add the receipt to that year's folder. That's the only thing in the "2024 Taxes" folder so far. I think it's just a habit from when I used to enter them when it actually mattered. Same with charitable donations - they used to reduce taxable income, but now they don't matter unless they're really big (bigger than I donate at least!)
Spoiler:
anthony

Post by anthony »

rubechick wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:17 am

Those are easy - when I pay them during the year, I just add the receipt to that year's folder. That's the only thing in the "2024 Taxes" folder so far. I think it's just a habit from when I used to enter them when it actually mattered. Same with charitable donations - they used to reduce taxable income, but now they don't matter unless they're really big (bigger than I donate at least!)
We used to itemize, back when the wife did daycare and we had a mortgage and stuff. We had a tax person to take care of it at that time. Then when my wife went back to work and the house was paid off i took a look at the tax forms after the tax lady completed them. I saw she went through the work of computing the itemized return vs standard deduction but choose the standard deduction. I was paying something like $50 a form for her to do the work. I decided i could save some money and do it myself since itemizing didn’t make sense anymore.
rubechick

Post by rubechick »

anthony wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:23 am
rubechick wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:17 am

We used to itemize, back when the wife did daycare and we had a mortgage and stuff. We had a tax person to take care of it at that time. Then when my wife went back to work and the house was paid off i took a look at the tax forms after the tax lady completed them. I saw she went through the work of computing the itemized return vs standard deduction but choose the standard deduction. I was paying something like $50 a form for her to do the work. I decided i could save some money and do it myself since itemizing didn’t make sense anymore.
Good call out - I just checked and it looks like he's not charging us for that. He's probably just glancing over everything, eyeballing that there's no way it's higher than the standard $27,700 deduction and then ignoring them. I should ask him next year if he just wants me to leave them out.
Spoiler: