Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Buxton for the (below) Avg. fan

A place to discuss the MN Twins
ForCaleb

Re: Buxton for the (below) Avg. fan

Post by ForCaleb »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:41 am Put him in. Fuck it. He's all-world at CF, and that alone is worthy of a spot.
Yeah, I’m torn on this. The twins played better when he wasn’t in the lineup. How does this change the dynamic of the locker room if he comes back?
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

ForCaleb wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:09 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:41 am Put him in. Fuck it. He's all-world at CF, and that alone is worthy of a spot.
Yeah, I’m torn on this. The twins played better when he wasn’t in the lineup. How does this change the dynamic of the locker room if he comes back?
Taylor's statline isn't noteworthy. Buxton is comparable without playing (of course not) much of the year. Maybe the guys pick him up, or he makes a great play in the field and hypes them up. He's MVP caliber when healthy so it's not like he's some chump they're forcing in there.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:58 pm He's MVP caliber when healthy so it's not like he's some chump they're forcing in there.
He’s MVP caliber when healthy?????

I’ve never seen anyone win a MVP while hitting .207 and striking out 3 times a game.

This shit-show has been going on for 9 fucking years… and there’s somehow people who believe it’s all of a sudden going to change… and he’s going to be some great player.

You’re talking “MVP”… about a guy in his 9th season who has a career batting average of .239.

In his 9 years he’s played 670 games. So in an average year… he plays 74 games… and he’s on the DL for the other 88 games.

You might as well put Joey Gallo on the playoff roster if Buxton’s on it. Gallo can strike out and struggle to hit .200 as well as Buxton can.
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

He hasn't played in a Major League game in what, 2 and a half months? And maybe 3 or 4 minor league games in that span? What would he bring to the roster at this point that a Castro or Stevenson doesn't? No thanks.
That's right cocksucker! Go back to New Jersey!
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:58 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:09 pm
Taylor's statline isn't noteworthy. Buxton is comparable without playing (of course not) much of the year. Maybe the guys pick him up, or he makes a great play in the field and hypes them up. He's MVP caliber when healthy so it's not like he's some chump they're forcing in there.
Taylor exceeded expectations when Buxton was DHing and was out. That means something to the other players in the locker room.

I'm not saying Buxton can't be MVP caliber (or even average) if he returns, but given how this year played I'm extremely skeptical. He's been bad, like really bad.

And then the organization has to consider, what if he re-injures himself and makes his previous hip injuries worse? That's not a good risk (financially and player performance) for them to take given his contract.

Rocco doesn't have an easy decision to make.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

You guys convinced me. I don't want him on the postseason roster.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

I would agree with the following statement…

“There have been 2 week stretches, where Buxton looks like the best player in MLB.”

That’s happened many times in his 9 years.

But 9 years in… it gets tiresome to hear about “potential” and what he “might be capable” of doing.

The guy’s going to be 30 in December.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Real Ted wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:25 pm I would agree with the following statement…

“There have been 2 week stretches, where Buxton looks like the best player in MLB.”

But 9 years in… it gets tiresome to hear about “potential” and what he “might be capable” of doing.

even though i think the odds aren't very high--he could have a two week stretch in the post-season so i wouldn't be surprised if he's on the roster and they give him some ABs in the wildcard series. if they get out of that round i would think it would be how he looked in those ABs as to whether he's on the next roster.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

The Real Ted wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:25 pm I would agree with the following statement…

This year it was one week stretch where he carried the team. 4-5 HRs in a 6 game stretch and that was it…and that was him DHing.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:31 pm

This year it was one week stretch where he carried the team. 4-5 HRs in a 6 game stretch and that was it…and that was him DHing.
That… and it seems like… his offensive stats come in situations where they don’t even need them… a HR when you’re up 6-1 doesn’t mean much.

But… if you’re down by a run in the bottom of the 9th… and you lead off by hitting a double… that’s clutch. I’d almost expect that out of Solano. I’d love to see him hit in that situation in the playoffs.

Or if you’re Royce Lewis… down by three, two outs… bases loaded… and you hit a grand slam…

That’s the fucking DEFINITION of clutch! :lol:

I can’t recall Buxton… doing either of the above… this season or much ever. (I’m not talking grand slam when you’re down by 3… I’m talking an important at bat, where your AB might decide the game)

Would you want to see him bat… in a situation where they REALLY need… something… in the playoffs? I would not.

If I’m wrong… and you have examples… please tell me.

I’m just going by memory… of this season… and I could be 100% wrong… maybe he’s had 15 walkoff HRs in his career…

But I doubt it.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

He had a couple walkoff homers last year. Regardless, coming in rusty as shit against gausman and Berrios (Berrios can get lit up but his hard breaking balls might just demolish Buck) doesn’t appeal much to me. If he plays I’ll hope for the best but we have been the best offense in baseball in the last month and really good in the second half without him.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins star Byron Buxton on return to center field: ‘I’m back’

In front of a large crowd of fans at TwinsFest Live on Friday night, Byron Buxton showed no hesitation in his answer when asked when asked by television announcer Cory Provus if he would be back in center field this upcoming season.

“Oh yeah,” he said to the group. “I’m back.”

Buxton did not play a single major league game in center field last season because of a knee issue that has disrupted multiple seasons. He spent most of the season serving as the team’s designated hitter before landing on the injured list with a hamstring strain and then suffering a setback with the knee during a rehab assignment.

But after a second surgery this offseason, this one an arthroscopic procedure to excise the plica in his right knee, Buxton said the rehab “feels money,” and he’s ready to return to the field.

“My body tells me that,” he said Saturday at TwinsFest. “I wouldn’t have said that if I wasn’t sure.”

At home in Georgia, Buxton said his typical day starts with therapy around 8 a.m. At 10 o’clock, he goes to the field and participates in baseball activities. By noon, he is home, playing with his three sons, Brixton, Blaze and Baire. Buxton is also working with his longtime track coach.

While Buxton, now 30, accepted his role last year, from time to time he would mention the mental challenges that strictly being limited to DH presented to him.

“I’m 29, I’m DHing and I know I’m not supposed to be DHing,” he said. “It’s different because your mind is telling you to go to center so you’re not buying into DH.”

But that was his reality because even just getting himself to a spot where he felt ready to hit was a challenge. He estimated he would spend from 1-4 p.m. in the training room and then head to the weight room for an hour.

“Every day I came in, it was like, ‘Oh, you’ve got to go to the training room You’ve got to do this,’ ” he said. “It was numerous things with the knee. One day it could be my hip. One day it could be my knee. One day it could be my hamstring. But that’s the effect you have when (you’re) battling and you try to play.”

Buxton eventually landed on the injured list in early August and did not return until the Twins’ final playoff game, when he received one at-bat and felt the love from the fans at Target Field, who started buzzing the minute he stepped out on deck.

And now, after his second surgery on his knee, Buxton sees center field on the horizon — “nothing makes me happier than playing the outfield” — and is more than ready for it.

“It feels good. Things feel back to … as close to normal as it’s going to get,” Buxton said. “So you take the positive … and you kind of run with it.”
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Good news Weimy.....Can he pitch?
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

*yawn*
My body, my choice.