Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Justin Fields to the Vikes?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Butch Bradford

Re: Justin Fields to the Vikes?

Post by Butch Bradford »

witljon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:00 pm
Unbiased Observer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:24 pm I would like to see the Vikings do this.
I would rather the Vikings draft Penix in the 2nd round.
Yeah, sure. But there are several teams that would like to draft him too, if they don't take a QB in the first round.

Besides, Penix has a long history of injuries.
The Florida native Penix suffered significant injuries in each of his four seasons at Indiana — season-ending ACL injuries in 2018 (against Penn State) and 2020 and shoulder injuries that cut his 2019 and 2021 campaigns short.
I'd personally rather see the Vikes draft JJ McCarthy but he aint gonna be there waiting for the Purple to draft in round 2 either.

So there's that.....
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:08 am The Bears won't trade Fields in division.
You wouldn’t think so, but Kwesi already swung a deal with a divisional foe with DET.

And then what is the outlook for Fields internally with his team vs other teams? Do they see him as a lost cause and welcome moving him to a divisional foe? Do other teams value him due to the fact they see CHI as incapable of developing him? I’d say if CHI accepts the fact that they are inept at qb development then sure, they won’t trade him to MN.

All in all, I don’t see KOC wanting anymore retreads like this after being burned by both Dobbs and Mullens. He wants his own grade A fresh prospect, I would assume.

A guy like Fields would only be had as a bridge and it has to come cheap.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:08 am The Bears won't trade Fields in division.
Shhhh, let em dream.
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

minnemike wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:20 am
You wouldn’t think so, but Kwesi already swung a deal with a divisional foe with DET.

And then what is the outlook for Fields internally with his team vs other teams? Do they see him as a lost cause and welcome moving him to a divisional foe? Do other teams value him due to the fact they see CHI as incapable of developing him? I’d say if CHI accepts the fact that they are inept at qb development then sure, they won’t trade him to MN.

All in all, I don’t see KOC wanting anymore retreads like this after being burned by both Dobbs and Mullens. He wants his own grade A fresh prospect, I would assume.

A guy like Fields would only be had as a bridge and it has to come cheap.
Nailed it.

I honestly don't think Fields had a chance in Chicago.

Defensive minded HC who went through 2 different OCs and about to make that 3 with Kliff Kingsbury (Caleb Williams OC at USC) interviewing.

Perhaps a change of scenery and the tutelage of the QB whisperer, KOC will do his development some good?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:41 am
Shhhh, let em dream.
I think that the old conventional wisdom about trading within your division isn't as concrete anymore. IF the trade value is there that is who a team will make a deal with.
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:57 pm
Shhhh, let em dream.
I think that the old conventional wisdom about trading within your division isn't as concrete anymore. IF the trade value is there that is who a team will make a deal with.
What you say is true, but I don’t believe it is when you’re talking starting QBs. At least there’s no examples I’m aware of.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I'd be interested but that's about it at the moment.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:32 pm

Shhhh, let em dream.
What you say is true, but I don’t believe it is when you’re talking starting QBs. At least there’s no examples I’m aware of.
The Bears will trade Fields to the team that gives them the best offer.

My best offer would be a 2025 4th and 2025 5th that is conditional to up to a 2025 3rd based on performance, wins, and resigning.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I liked Fields a lot coming out of OSU. He was my QB2 that year behind Lawrence.

I do believe there’s something to the “QB” wasteland of Chicago. I think it’s a combination of bad coaching, bad surrounding talent, and bad conditions in Chicago that make the cards stacked against any QB that goes there. Maybe some plain old bad luck too.

Part of the problem with trading for him is that you’ve got to make the year 5 decision (and $25M guaranteed for 2025) sight unseen. That’s a hefty commitment for a guy who hasn’t earned it.

But if you don’t, then he’s a FA to be and if he does blow up, you then have to make a really tough call on a guy who did well (and probably endeared himself to fans) on only one year of play. I think mlhouse’s trade compensation package is ballpark and realistic and I’d listen at that cost. But I’d give Justin no assurances that he’s “our guy” and still try to explore other options.

Those rumors of “fields for a 2nd” or whatever are laughable. If the bears get that for him, good for them, but I certainly hope it’s not from the Vikings.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:14 pm

My best offer would be a 2025 4th and 2025 5th that is conditional to up to a 2025 3rd based on performance, wins, and resigning.
The Bears will not be trading Fields to the Vikings.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:52 pm

Given there are 31 other teams and there is also a solid chance the Bears retain Fields, who cares about your prediciton.
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:03 pm

Given there are 31 other teams and there is also a solid chance the Bears retain Fields, who cares about your prediciton.
Prediction? :lol:
My point is the Bears will not be trading Fields within the division.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:13 pm

Odds are very high that even if they would trade him within the division that they won’t actually end up doing it. There are 28 other teams outside of the division and 3 other teams inside the division. Simple math says it’s unlikely.

But I agree that if an NFCN team gives them the best offer, they’ll take it.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Roy Kent

Post by Roy Kent »

My god, even our fan base strives for mediocrity.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

I may be tempted to make this trade if all it took was a 2nd round pick. You take a flyer on a still young qb, if he pans out then great, if he doesn’t you have him under team control for 2 years at reasonable money, after next year you could draft his replacement and have him sit for a year while fields plays on his 5th year option.

I know one thing, I’d rather do this than pay cousins $40 million to start for another year
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

SKOLMN wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:05 pm I may be tempted to make this trade if all it took was a 2nd round pick. You take a flyer on a still young qb, if he pans out then great, if he doesn’t you have him under team control for 2 years at reasonable money, after next year you could draft his replacement and have him sit for a year while fields plays on his 5th year option.

I know one thing, I’d rather do this than pay cousins $40 million to start for another year
Yep. If the price is right, why not?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I can't see this trade happening, and RT can't be dead since he's not a real person.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

The prediction you posted and I responded to is the Bears will not be trading Fields to the Vikings.

This is a claim that is purely speculative, and basically meaningless for the reason I pointed out.
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:58 pm

The prediction you posted and I responded to is the Bears will not be trading Fields to the Vikings.

This is a claim that is purely speculative, and basically meaningless for the reason I pointed out.
So, the title of this thread is meaningless….
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

witljon wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:54 am
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:58 pm

So, the title of this thread is meaningless….
Negative, ghost rider.

Hence the question mark.

These are rumors. Steam.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But if you are saying that it never could happen, then I would respectfully disagree.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I'll take Fields in a heartbeat, as long as we still draft a QB.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong